Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / American Warfare - WW2 RTS

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2010 01:51 Edited at: 25th Dec 2010 06:30

The year is 1941, the United States of America has just entered World War II after Emperor Hirohito of Japan launched an attack on Pearl Harbor in Hawaii causing devastating results. Adolf Hitler of Germany has declared war on the United States. You, Commander, must strategically place our soldiers, get them to cover, and call the shots in one of the biggest wars in the history of the world. Battle through many different scenarios in Germany and Japan as you complete missions, take down enemies, and put an end to a war that has changed the world.

This is my first serious 3d game. I have the basic engine nearly completed, once I get that and a few other things done, the tutorial mission (which will give you a basic overview of what to do) will be ready for a demo and I will post it here.

Quote: "I, Zeus, pledge to complete a working game/game demo/general project before January 31st, 2011."

The first demo will be released before 1/31/2011.

Demos:
Pathfinding Demo NEW!

Screenshots:
http://zeus.netii.net/AmericanWarfare/screenshots/screen01.png (Outdated)
http://zeus.netii.net/AmericanWarfare/screenshots/screen02.png (Outdated)
http://zeus.netii.net/AmericanWarfare/screenshots/screen03.png (Outdated)
http://zeus.netii.net/AmericanWarfare/screenshots/screen04.png (Outdated)
http://zeus.netii.net/AmericanWarfare/screenshots/screen05.png (Outdated)
http://american-warfare.webs.com/screen06.png (New!)

Videos:
Basic Unit Purchasing Alpha (Outdated)
Unit Purchasing with new placement mode. (New!)

Currently working on:
Unit rotation, selling, and selecting.
New HUD (better graphics, probably camo)

After that is complete:
Purchasing and placing cover.

Possible:
I may use this BOS plugin somehow. I am going to look into it that is for sure. http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=46609&b=5

Team Members:
Jordan Gibson (Zeus)- Main programmer & Lead design
Brennon Sloan (Happy Cheesecake) - Lead artist & Co design
Kyle S. - Level designer
Gorlocks suggestions - Beta Tester
Cormorant5 - Beta tester and objective editor

For more development information: New website!

Comments and constructive criticism please!

-Zeus

Eminent
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks quite nice. I hope this get completed. I've never seen a RTS with DBP/C or DGDK before.

Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2010 22:48
Thank you! Today I plan on getting the enemy functions completed and then begin work on purchasing soldiers. The animations are very robotic like, so I am going to hopefully get Character Shop for Christmas to fix up the DM models' animations. I also need to add gunfire and blood as well. That work is for later though.
Eminent
Years of Service
User Offline
Will we be getting teh source code?

Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2010 04:25 Edited at: 30th Nov 2010 04:27
I plan to make it open source so you all can mod it, so yes.

Development News (11/29/10)

Here is what was done today:

Tomorrow's to do list:

AF1 Functions List:

AF2 Functions List:

EF1 Functions List:

Upgrading EF1 should not be very time consuming at all and I look forward to accomplishing it tomorrow, but it is bed time now, I have school in the morning. I will probably release more combat screenshots tomorrow.

-Zeus
Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2010 03:29 Edited at: 1st Dec 2010 03:30
Current Development News (11/30/10 9:15 PM EST)

Done so far (subject to change):

Tomorrow's to do list:

And a new screenshot showing the HUD (no buttons yet) and both sides in combat: http://zeus.netii.net/AmericanWarfare/screenshots/screen03.png

Comments?

-Zeus
Crazy Acorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2010 05:55
This game looks pretty fun. Can't wait to try it out!

Poloflece
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2010 12:07
Nice use of fpsc media, looks really good!

Poloflece

Poloflece, not to be mistaken for polofleece, polar fleece or polar flece. But I like to go by Polo or PFG, SO GET USED TO IT!
Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2010 17:22
Thanks guys! I look forward to releasing a demo.
Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2010 04:14
Development News (12/1/10 10:06 PM)

Not as much was completed as I was hoping. I ran into some complications and still need to work something out.

Completed today:

Tomorrow's to do:

Ideas for placing items:
I was going to use the pick screen command and make the positioning click and drag but I have ran into some complications with that code. I am thinking about the positioning being with W,A,S, and D and enter. It will be easier and more accurate but the mouse click would be easier for the player. I am not quite sure which one I should approach. But I may just go for WASD positioning.
Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2010 04:43
Development News (12/2/10 10:44 PM)

Completed today:

Tomorrow's to do:

Does anyone even care? lol
Crazy Acorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2010 04:54
I care.... xD I just am waiting for a demo!

Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2010 05:00 Edited at: 3rd Dec 2010 05:00
Those models are way too high poly, aren't fpsc characters usually around 2000+ tris? Anyways, other than that it looks good.

Crazy Acorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2010 05:38
errrm I dont know what your talking about high poly??? 2000 isn't much and I have FPSC and I can have billions of guys and buildings etc and it is still fine. Unless there is something different in DBP?

Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
Gorlock fpsc cannot have billions of guys. That is ridiculous. And yes 2000 is a lot when dealing with rts scales, that is. >30 guys on screen at once, with buildings, effects, processing in the background, high res textures, scenery etc. It's all very taxing and dbp isn't exactly super-optimized.

Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2010 17:31
For the moment I can run around 56-60 FPS with a 5 year old laptop. I am going to make it an option to replace the high poly DM models with the low poly ones in game. I am sure Gorlocks was exaggerating Satchmo . But anyway, when I get home I will work the bugs out of purchasing and the Flash HUD.

-Zeus
swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Ummm... Satchmo. I count 5 guys... It really depends on the game. Will there only be 5 unit at a time, or 100s? It's all up to Zeus. At the moment the polycount sounds fine.

swis
Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2010 15:41
Well, at one point there will be 100s of enemies, but I will lower the poly count by using the low poly models.
Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2010 06:32
Development News (12/4/10)

Done today:

Tomorrow's to do:

Notes: Had a busy day yesterday and today. Didn't feel well today. Hopefully I will get more accomplished tomorrow.
Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2010 17:20 Edited at: 6th Dec 2010 17:21
Development News (12/6/10)

The HUD was implemented into the game today (thanks Styx) and a new screenshot (http://zeus.netii.net/AmericanWarfare/screenshots/screen04.png) explaining the new HUD is up. Tell me what you think. Today, I will get the purchase started and hopefully come a long way on it.
Crazy Acorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2010 23:10
This game is looking very cool!! Nice job!

Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2010 01:25
Thank you! For the moment, I am still working on the purchase screen, once I am done with it, I will begin working with collision so the player can't place a unit through a building.
Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2010 06:33
Development News (12/6/10)

Done today:

Tomorrow's to do:

Hopefully a new screenshot will arrive tomorrow. I am going to bed ftm. Good night everyone.
Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2010 23:36
Ran into some trouble with the HUD. Have to redo it. The purchase screen has been put on hold ftm.
Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2010 23:30 Edited at: 9th Dec 2010 00:47
Development News (12/8/10)

New HUD was completed and implemented into the game, the basic select type screen is up (I have unit highlighted with my mouse in the screenshot but the mouse is hidden :/) and now I can finally begin work on the entire purchase screen. You probably notice that you havea set budget in the game that you can not go over while playing your mission. That is why you have the spent and budget dialog in the top-right. I moved the camera controls and shrunk them to fit the bottom-left corner of the screen. Added ranks and XP and a player name. Your current objectives are still in the same place, the area has just been slightly enlarged. The screenshot is posted below. (Disregard the variables, just temporary technical stuff.)

http://zeus.netii.net/AmericanWarfare/screenshots/screen05.png

I am going to work on the purchase screen the moment I post this, hopefully I will have more details later this evening.

-Zeus
Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2010 05:28
Development News (12/8/10)

I am going to call it a night, I have got started on the purchase screen and have made fair progress with it. Right now, I am working on mousing over items and click on them to purchase them and show their stats and then it will be complete. Hope to get the majority of this done tomorrow.

-Zeus
Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2010 02:49 Edited at: 10th Dec 2010 02:50
Development News (12/9/10)

Almost completely done with the purchase screen, just need to get the buy button together and add functionality to it and then purchasing will be complete! I am going to upload a YouTube video to show how purchasing units works once I am done with it completely.

Any comments on the new HUD? Any comments at all? lol

-Zeus
Crazy Acorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2010 04:38
Sorry been away for a few days but the HUD looks cool. Just it could be a bit more grungy metallic and not so bland but it looks cool anyway can't wait for the demo!

Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2010 23:32
I may make the HUD a little more metallic and rustic, I was thinking about it. I may make it camo though. Which do you think?
Crazy Acorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2010 06:05
Its your game man! I say Go for it!!!

Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2010 19:21
Won't get much time to work on it today, family Christmas party. I will do a little work still on purchasing when it is over as item purchasing is still a little glitchy and then the video will be up on YouTube.
Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2010 08:07 Edited at: 13th Dec 2010 08:08
Development News

The purchase screen was completed and all the bugs have been terminated with it and just like I promised, a video.

*CamSoft is the reason for the lag. Not the game itself.*

This is only basic purchasing, nothing else. I plan to make placing the items a little better and of course a little more needs done to it before it is consider the final purchase screen for the game. But that is what I got accomplished over the weekend. So yay me! Next up, collision...

C&C Please.
-Zeus
Crazy Acorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2010 16:14
can't wait for a demo!!

Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2010 17:31
Thanks!
Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2010 19:05

Quote: "I, Zeus, pledge to complete a working game/game demo/general project before January 31st, 2011."

The first demo will be released before 1/31/2011.

Happy Cheesecake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2010 20:35
The new video looks great! Definitely a lot better than a few screenshots. I do agree that you need to spruce up the GUI a tad, as it does look a bit bland with a monotone color.

Regardless, you're doing a great job! I can't help but feel this should be getting a tad more attention than it's getting at the moment.

Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2010 20:51
So you finally decide to come to the rescue? Thanks!

If you want, you can come up Saturday and I will let you work on the GUI if you would like. I will teach you the required flash, it isn't much really. I would love to have you as an artist though.

Drillfoot
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2010 01:11
This looks good man! You got something good going here no doubt! Will bookmark to see more!

rem allow user create game with one click
rem create graphics, sound, scripts, models, with one click
rem slap user in face if game choice is mmo
Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2010 14:47
Thank you so much! And nice sig btw, I lol'd.

Getting started today with making examples with Sparky's DLL so I can start player collision. Wish me luck, I have never used Sparky's before!

Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2010 19:11 Edited at: 14th Dec 2010 20:28
Important News

The game is going to be switched to a top-down camera view (like most RTS games). The games maps are being made with DBWC or L3DT. I am not quite sure which one yet. L3DT seems to be way too high poly though, so I may just go with DBWC. The maps can be a lot more realistic this way and it will make the game itself more flexible and user friendly. Screenshots of the new camera view will be posted as soon as one becomes available.

[EDIT]

L3DT will be the current choice of world editors until DBWC is a little more stable. I can manage to keep L3DT low poly if I create small maps.

Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2010 04:56
Development News (12/14/10)

Got the camera positioned correctly and here is how it is suppose to look in game (of course the maps will be much larger). I am just showing the camera angle and view atm. However, the tutorial map (the one below) will not change.

http://american-warfare.webs.com/screen06.png

Comments?

-Zeus

Crazy Acorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2010 05:04
I like this new camera position... now where is that demo??

Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2010 06:16 Edited at: 15th Dec 2010 06:22
Development News (12/14/10)

A lot of good stuff completed today, collision is complete, the top down view was implemented, and the new placing system works like a charm. Below is the video of the new item placing system. Tomorrow, item selecting, rotating, and selling for units.

**CamSoft is the lag.**

I am calling it a night.

C&C please!

-Zeus

[edit]
Before 1/31/11 for the demo Gorlocks, I promise

Crazy Acorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2010 06:43
Nice job and keeps up the work!

Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2010 22:18
Thank you! I am glad you are following my project.

Eminent
Years of Service
User Offline
SO far it looks pretty damn nice. But AI will be the hard part.

Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2010 23:49 Edited at: 15th Dec 2010 23:57
Can't argue with you there, but I do have Dark AI, so that will make thing a lot better hopefully. Right now I am working selecting a unit and rotating it.

[edit]
Thanks for the compliment!

Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2010 04:59 Edited at: 16th Dec 2010 05:07
Current Development News (12/15/10 10:54 PM)

Selecting units is completed, now I have to make it possible to move the selected unit, rotate the selected unit, and sell the selected unit (the in-game term will be called "discharge"). After that I need to make it to where you can select multiple units and group them in a squad, so you can move multiple units at once. The game has also taken another turn to where it will be "capture the base" combat. You must fight enemies and take over their base to win the map. Picture it like Star Wars Battlefront 2 combat with the bases, the only difference is, this is a RTS. A video with unit selection, rotation, moving, and discharging will be uploaded as soon as one becomes available. Also, I may add, beta testing is coming soon. If you are interested send an email to jordangibson96@gmail.com for more information.

-Zeus

[edit]
Sig test.

Dr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2010 11:07
You seem to be making good progress with this. Interesting that you seem to be going with a single screen game, rather than a big map. I guess it will be small squad style game, which will make for interesting use of buildings as cover.

If you have time, try adding some kind of lightmapping - simple directional shadows would add a lot, but graphics are fairly superfluous.
Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2010 16:53 Edited at: 16th Dec 2010 17:19
I will work on the lightmapping, I just got 3DWS. I am also going to make the game with huge seamless maps and as you move your squads, scroll the camera with the movement of the squads to the next mob of enemies. Thanks for the compliment btw.

[edit]
Sig test.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 12:51:09
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 12:51:09