Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Looking to do an open source proj (Open source zombies anyone?)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello guys! Wow! I have been inactive on these forums for so long! I kinda lost my interest in doing game programming, but recently starting getting interested again! Ive barley posted here, but have been checking up every once and a while to see whats going on. I'm interested in starting a new project. Specifically something open source that will benefit the whole community. I was thinking maybe and open source zombies project? What are your guys opinions. Other options would include finishing my Havok wrapper for DarkGDK and DBPRO. Im not making any promises on starting anything or finishing anything just yet. I just wanna have some ideas in case i do decide to do something. What do you guys wanna see? All suggestions please!

Its either stuff over here, or stuff with the quake 3 (or quake 4 engine if the source is ever released).

Thanks! Binsky!
DeadTomGC
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2011 05:34 Edited at: 19th Apr 2011 05:35
I had a zombie related project I was working on. It was going to be called something like "Mad Dash to the Fort". The objective would be to get to the fort alive. The player would be spawned into a somewhat maze-like map with the initial knowledge of where the fort is. However, the entire map will go dark immediately and not allow the player to see anything except that which is very close to him. There will be zombies throughout the map that will chase the player if the player or another zombie that is chasing the player comes too close to a zombie. The player would only have the patterns on the floor and the walls to keep his orientation. Scary Game!

Or, a great 2D game would be a survival shooter where you control your aiming with the mouse and your movement with keys. I would want the emphasis of the game to be on tactically using your surroundings (structures, guns, gasoline, chainsaws, traps, or anything else we can think of) to defend yourself from the waves of zombies and the loners between waves.

binsky
Years of Service
User Offline
Hmmm those ideas sound very interesting and doable.
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2011 18:28 Edited at: 19th Apr 2011 23:46
Welcome back binsky,

Interestingly, I'm also working on a Open-Source Game Engine Application (see my sig) and my first commercial game I plan to develop with it, is a Massive Multiplayer (Coop) Online FPS. An Action Survival Horror with elements borrowed from several genres. I wanted to do something a little different with the Zombies Theme. You and your party (Human/AI) strive to survive in a modern Urban Landscape threatened by a hyper-infectious Zombie Horde, Giant Monsters, Mutants and Machines invading our world thru unpredictable Dimensional Rifts dubbed (DRIFTERS).

I'm drawing on inspirations from many games I've enjoyed playing over the years: Left 4 Dead, Earth Defense Force 2014, Dragon Age, Battlezone, Soul Caliber. I take the game play mechanics I enjoyed most about these games and integrate them into DRIFTERS:

FPS/RPG

The underlining gameplay is based on gun/projectile weapon-based combat viewed in first-person perspective. The highlight of the combat system is a fully customizable FPS Weapon System (Gunvertor). I've wanted to develop this system for years. From my perspective, the Weapon is the embodiment of your character in a FPS. The player should be allowed to take ownership and give it more personality. I love Sci-fi FPS Weapons and they're my weapons of choice for DRIFTERS. Sci-Fi FPS Weapons offer an extremely wide range appearance, operation, effect, possibilities. Lucky for us, Monsters aren't the only things coming thru the DRIFTERS.

Arcade

Its my goal to keep action extreme and intense so that cool down periods are in high demand. A good majority of the action is based on Arcade style game mechanics which are fast paced, simple, and relatively short. An example of such mechanics are the infection used by Zombies. Like a virus, Zombies seek-and-infect Player/NPCs upon contact. If you're character is infected - game over. Play my game c e l l u l a r to see the game mechanism in action.

Bosses. I like Bosses. Arcade games have Bosses. DRIFTER has Bosses. Bosses are Big, Mean, and Powerful.

Checkpoints. I like them in FPS games to keep the player and action...moving. They almost appear to be a necessity in a Survival Horror. Your mission: Get from Point A to Point B, alive. Usually with something chasing behind you and obstacles thrown in front of you. A chain of Checkpoints equals a Quest. Two schools of thought on implementation: 1) Explicit Checkpoint System, 2) Implicit Checkpoint System. An Explicit Checkpoint System is like a Quest/Mission System (Locate 3 Survivors, Return to Safe House).

RTS

An Implicit Checkpoint System thru depletion of resources (Generator powers Safe House Lights & Appliances, Generator require Gas, Gas located at abandoned Fuel Stations, Go to Gas Stations- Get Gas- Refuel Generators) and drive the need for Manpower/Resource gathering, while swarms of monsters drive the need for team work and safe house building.

Tactical

Team Work. I love cooperative games, wish there were more coop RPGs. Anyways, on top of FPS/RTS/Arcade I'm going to throw in some Tactical Game play elements in which the Players can issue simple instructions to AI controlled bots and requests to other Players to help one another. Rescuing Survivors serves purpose. Survivors can be useful in gathering resources, building, defending and attacking. They also make good Zombies.

Survival

Survival Points the primary unit of measurement used to quantify a player character's progression through the game. Its earned automatically at a very slow rate (Survival Duration) and in Bulk amounts after accomplishing tasks.

binsky
Years of Service
User Offline
Awesome! That sounds like that is going to be a very interesting game! Ill make sure to check it out when it comes time to throw up a WIP thread. I was thinking it would be interesting to make something that is very team based. It looks as though we need more games today that are like that.
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2011 02:00 Edited at: 20th Apr 2011 02:04
Quote: "That sounds like that is going to be a very interesting game! Ill make sure to check it out when it comes time to throw up a WIP thread. I was thinking it would be interesting to make something that is very team based. It looks as though we need more games today that are like that. "
The Super 3D Game Platform is really the star of the show. I've been developing S3GP User Interactivity System for over a year, learning C++ in the process. My C++ Programming Skill has advanced rapidly. Now I'm developing S3GP with OGRE, OpenAL, and many other 3rd Party Libs I was literally afraid of a year ago.

I'm throwing all of my Game Development Concepts into S3GP. It will possibly be my final entry into Game Developer Arena. My autobiography as a Game Programmer. In fact, I'm considering embedding my autobiography into the source code and comments.

My original intend in the initial post was to inform you that others are working projects with the same goals in mind. It would be real sweet if we could somehow magically unite these individuals and get them working on the same project to completion. Unfortunately, such a task requires a massive amount of planning, organization, documentation and cooperation which appears to be virtually impossible to orchestrate in these forums. Trust me, I've tried. I think its simply the nature of the beast with a million game ideas floating around here.

Even a Open-Source project requires massive planning, organization, documentation and cooperation for it to be useful. If you're serious about this and you will need to be before you do anything. I highly recommend setting up a SVN Repository (Git, Sourceforge, Google Code) as soon as possible.

WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2011 02:28
I'll have to setup a sourceforge account because I had a look into the SVN through S3GP but didn't get anywhere. S3GP and maybe a list of libraries that others can work on to expand everything.

I'd be interested in getting involved with a large project however, although my programming skills are reasonably good, my mathematics (ie 3d maths) lack somewhat.

Warning! May contain Nuts!
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2011 02:54 Edited at: 20th Apr 2011 03:03
Quote: "I'll have to setup a sourceforge account because I had a look into the SVN through S3GP but didn't get anywhere. "
Hi WLGfx, I don't want to hijack this thread, please explain details of your trouble in the DOSP thread and I'll get you some answers. S3GP (OGRE version) SVN hasn't been open to the public yet, so what SVN are you using?

LIST YOUR FAVORITE ZOMBIE GAMES AND MOVIES BELOW THE LINE
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Left 4 Dead
2. Dawn of the Dead 2004

WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2011 04:21
Resident Evil on the original Playstation. That was a game that would have you in suspense...

binsky
Years of Service
User Offline
Left 4 Dead
Nazi Zombies
Various zombie mods

Now i have had one idea for a while that i have been throwing around. It will be zombie based or survival based. You and other plays start out in a map (A house, flat plane, etc) and you have x amount of minutes to construct a fort or structure before enemies start attacking. You gain money by killing and can build up your fort, purchase weapons, etc.

Another idea i had was the same kind of idea except... there are two teams each has x amount of minutes to build a structure/fort. You must then battle and try to destroy each others forts. Gain money by killing, can buy weapons, etc.

Any options on those two?
DeadTomGC
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2011 04:30
Don't forget about Halo 1-3 and the flood. The type of game play that was generated by a three way fight with one force being a zombie like parasite (but with more depth) was very unique.
Every enemy you killed could rise against you but with a somewhat new skin complexion.
Also, the scares were quite effective in 1.

TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2011 13:19 Edited at: 21st Apr 2011 14:09
Quote: "You and other plays start out in a map (A house, flat plane, etc) and you have x amount of minutes to construct a fort or structure before enemies start attacking. You gain money by killing and can build up your fort, purchase weapons, etc."
Sort of a Tower Defense? Zombie Defense?

The RTS and Tactical game mechanics in DRIFTERS could support the Multiplayer `Zombie Defense` complete with cash/token driven Item Mall via TournamentBlitz. Zombie Defense could be presented as a Game Play Mode or a type of Mission.

binsky
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Sort of a Tower Defense? Zombie Defense?"

Exactly!

And ok sounds good.
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2011 08:01 Edited at: 22nd Apr 2011 08:05
These are just some ideas in case You do decide to do something. I'm strictly committed to S3GP development and there is no timeline. I'm inserting your initial statement here -->
Quote: "Im not making any promises on starting anything or finishing anything just yet."

I'm a Game and Web Designer/Programmer. Let me know when you have decided to start developing a plan of action.

How is it going
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2011 09:58
I personally think the first idea that DeadTom had would be fun... I'm currently working on my own game right now but I'd be willing to help code or make some environments / maps
binsky
Years of Service
User Offline
Hmm yeah i do like some of DeadToms ideas. Maybe we could combine all these into one somehow!
WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2011 04:08
A few weeks ago I was playing on a game from agame.com which sounds similar to that idea. Kept me playing on it for some time!

binsky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2011 05:41 Edited at: 24th Apr 2011 05:45
Do you happen to remember the name of it... id love to give it a try!

Also DeadTom, could you please explain your idea you posted before a little more. I never got into halo, so i dont know what exactly your talking about. Thanks in advance!
DeadTomGC
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2011 08:33 Edited at: 24th Apr 2011 08:33
I'd be happy to.

Mad Dash to the Fort would be 3D (FP_) (but the 3rd dimension is really just a graphics thing, although you could make it more than that).

The player would start at some point in a map that is maze like but not a flat out maze because it will be hard enough with zombies and poor vision.
Then, the visibility would drop (using fog or no ambient light, but fog would be easier) so that the player could only see what is very close to him. The exact distance is something that would need to be tweaked according to other variables.
The goal would be to reach the fort that you would be able to see when you are first spawned into the map alive.
You probably have no weapons. If you get to close to a zombie and the zombie sees you it will chase you until you are either dead or safe. if that zombie comes to close to other zombies those will proceed to chase you as well.
I was thinking that the only method for knowing which way the fort is would be memory and the patterns of lines on the floor. (maybe black line one way and white another?)
So, just get to the fort alive!

The second game was going to be 2D. You would start in a looping map (with a shotgun) that would have tons of items, weapons, and other things like boards, crates, and tanks of gas. The player would have to watch out for hiding zombies between waves and prepare for each wave.
I would want the game to be made so that one could progress though multiple maps and maybe have some story and not just be a survival game.

Quote: "I never got into halo, so i dont know what exactly your talking about."

I'm sure you could read about the flood on Wikipedia, but here is my description of it.
It is described as a parasite that can take many forms, but over all what it does is eat everything and spread like crazy. There are "pure forms" or "infection forms" which are described some people as "headcrab things". They will infect dead bodies( and kill living ones) and use the basic structure to create a flood creature on the spot.
BTW these flood creatures are like freaking ninjas, and they can use weapons pretty effectively.
They also are pretty smart(they gain knowledge from people they eat?) and they are always trying to make a "Gravemind" that is basically a central intelligence for the flood that lets them act very, well, intelligently.
In fact, in Halo 3 you fight along side the flood for a short time, and of course they betray you like 5 minutes later.
What I was saying about the three way fight was that you are frequently fighting flood and covenant (aliens) who are fighting each other in halo 1.
Also if you kill a Brute, its body could be turned into a flood form by an infection form and could fight against you, again.

Fun Game!

TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2011 14:42
I always thought it would be cool to use the Asteroid Mechanic in which you shoot an object and in breaks up into smaller ones for specific number of shots. The Asteroid Mechanic could be applied to fully articulated 3D Zombies, in which shooting the Zombies results in Limbs and Organs bursting outward. The dismembered Limbs and Organs would grow Legs or Tentacles and continue crawling/slithering toward the player leaving trails of dark green slime behind. A cross between John Carpenter's The Thing and The Flood.

WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2011 15:22
Goblin Forest - http://www.agame.com/game/clan-wars-goblin-forest.html

Different creatures, level ups, etc. Obviously a basic idea that would need building on to make it more of a decent game. There's a few similar to it on the site. One of the first descriptions further up just reminded me of it.

binsky
Years of Service
User Offline
Techlord that sounds like an awesome idea! Also thank you DeadTom for your explanation!

Ill have to check that out WLGfx! Thanks for posting!
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2011 00:36
Quote: "Techlord that sounds like an awesome idea! "

I have another one. Lets inverse dismemberment and use Zombie Organs and Limbs to fasten together larger grotesque monstrosities such as Necro-Dragons, Dead Flesh Golems, Skullipedes, and many others.

binsky
Years of Service
User Offline
Hahaha possible. I dont want things getting too complex though! But i guess my first step would to be to start creating my own engine. I already have a lot of the code from my old engine, the venom engine. I think ill just rebuild a new version of that if i decide to take on this project.
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2011 02:50
binsky
Years of Service
User Offline
C++ and DarkGdk. Venom Engine is my own engine. It never really fully took off though so ill have to recode the whole thing.
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2011 03:00
Quote: "C++ and DarkGdk. Venom Engine is my own engine. It never really fully took off though so ill have to recode the whole thing."
Recode the whole thing. Oh Oh. What features? That can be a major undertaking. I'm working on S3GP. It already has lots of tools, a majority most core systems implemented, and a design plan. I'm currently reworking Graphics and UI as I've switched out DGDK for OGRE.

binsky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2011 03:04 Edited at: 25th Apr 2011 03:10
Right now i have planned:
DarkGDK rendering
3DWS Maps and Quake 3 BSP
Lua Scripting
Recast AI
Custom content importer
Winsock networking
Havok Physics!!!!!!!
OpenAL Sound

Those are all the basics i plan on including.

I plan on making it similiar to ID TECH 3.
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2011 03:16 Edited at: 25th Apr 2011 03:17
Quote: "Right now i have planned:
DarkGDK rendering
3DWS Maps and Quake 3 BSP
Lua Scripting
Recast AI
Custom content importer
Winsock networking
Havok Physics!!!!!!!
OpenAL Sound"
S3GP has lots of similarities. The Feature List. Heres a list of my Primary responsibilities to the project:
[Engine]
Programmer - User Interface
Programmer - Modular Entity Construction
Programmer - DarkTokens Coin-Op API
[Editor]
Programmer - Image and UI Editors
[Game Application]
Designer - FPS Weapon System

binsky
Years of Service
User Offline
Ah okay. Sounds interesting!
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2011 03:52 Edited at: 25th Apr 2011 03:53
I haven't solidified a 3D Physics solution yet for the OGRE migration, thus HAVOK is a possibility. PhysX was top on the list for many reasons: Previous experience with DGDK Fulcrum Wrapper, OGRE's NxOgre Wrapper, NVIDIA PhysX PPU support, and Licensing. I intend to develop commercial games and applications with S3GP so I'm concerned about the HAVOK licensing.

TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2011 14:53 Edited at: 26th Apr 2011 15:38
Quote: "Lets inverse dismemberment and use Zombie Organs and Limbs to fasten together larger grotesque monstrosities such as Necro-Dragons, Dead Flesh Golems, Skullipedes, and many others."

Quote: "Hahaha possible. I dont want things getting too complex though!"

I actually have an idea to achieve this. The idea is to simply attach dismembered parts to the joints of a animated skeleton. I'm not concerned about smoothing out connections between the limbs/organs. The idea will require some R&D.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-02 17:29:07
Your offset time is: 2024-10-02 17:29:07