Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Open Source Shooter - Help out now! :)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2011 23:32 Edited at: 28th Dec 2011 22:44
INFO

Timeplan : https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmuAKJolqASndEVYOWMxb3l2OWV0UkV1anRSczZScHc
Online reference : http://www.shooterhelp.avxc.net/
Latest project download : https://forumfiles.thegamecreators.com/download/2287589
A guide to structured programming : http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=190485&b=1

Contact Information

Replace all smilies with an @

TheComet - Programmer

email - alex.murray☺gmx.ch
skype - The__Comet

swissolo - Project Manager

email - swissolo☺gmail.com

Design Runner - Art Director for Scenery

email - Design_Runner☺yahoo.com

Martin Donát - Art Director for Characters

email - martin.101☺email.cz
skype - martasek101
facebook - Martin Donát

SH4773R - Programmer

email - lukeconnor50☺gmail.com

Hey everyone!

Info on what's currently in progress, go to the text between the "=======" below.

Intro

I thought it might be cool to start an open source project where everyone can chip in a bit. I've laid down the basic code, and made it pretty easy to add / remove features from the game. The video below shows where the game currently stands (which is pretty much nowhere right now).

Game Story

So the basic storyline of the game is you have these 4 towers, each beaming down a bright light to the center of the map where they all meet on this dome. Your mission is to go into each of the towers, and defeat a boss, which will disable the corresponding beam. Once all beams are deactivated, a huge boss pops out of the dome, and that will be the final boss.

============================================================================================

So how is this project structured?

Here's the graphical structure:

So 4 positions are open:

-Art Director for Scenery
-Art Director for Characters
-Music/Sound Director
-Programming Director

If anyone wants to take on one of the roles above, please post. It would also be very helpful for me if someone where to take the position as a co-manager, I don't have a lot of free time...

What is my role as a director?

As a director, your task is to receive work and/or ideas from contributers in your department, and fish out the good stuff which will be passed on to the project manager for implementation.

What's our Time Plan? What needs to be done?

I'll be honest with you. I suck at creative ideas. That's why I need your input to drive this project forwards. ANYTHING you have at all, post ahead!

The current documentation and time-plan can be found here or in the first post.

The next step

Here's the to-do list in short:

[] Find directors (and if possible, co-manager).
[] Collect cool ideas from everyone

============================================================================================

How do I contribute?

To make sure everything doesn't get all mixed up, contributions of any kind must be directed to a main person, and merged with the project by that main person, in this case, me. Contributions are listed below.

Code Contributions

All code contributions must be done by posting the code in a code snippet, along with a short description of what it does, and where to put it. Any required media please attach. Try to keep all of your code in one or more functions which can be called from the main loop. For example, these would be the functions for the spider:

CreateSpider() will create one spider
DestroySpider() will remove a spider
ControlSpider() is called once every loop

Code contributions can be anything. You may have tinkered with the spider control function to make the spider move better, or you may have written an incredible shader that makes the game look better than FarCry 6.

Media Contributions

All media contributions must be done by attaching your media to your post, along with a short description of what it's for, what it should do, and where to put it.

Media contributions can be anything:

Models such as Levels, zombies, spaceships, buildings, shops, weapons, effects, skyboxes, skyspheres, etc.

Music, Sounds, Voices, etc.

Images such as textures, menu items, buttons, GUI, etc.

Style

The game is a futuristic zombie + alien shoot-em-up.

Environmental - Alien plants, alien skys, futuristic buildings, rocks, caves, futuristic lamp posts, alien landscapes, domes, towers etc.

Characters - Alien Zombies (wow that sounds awesome), critters, 5 kinds of bosses, etc.

Textures - Flare textures, red blood, blue blood, green blood, yellow blood, laser beam texture, light beam texture, landscape textures, plant textures, sky textures, wall textures, etc.

Weapons - Phaser, DOOM cannon, lightning gun, missile launcher, sensor bombs, time bombs, etc.

Downloads

OpenSourceProject_16_09_11.7z
Documentation and Time-Plan

Controls:

WASD - move around
LMB to shoot
press <insert> once to type things into the console
press <insert> again to deactivate the console

Change Log

TheComet

Attachments

Login to view attachments
miso
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2011 00:23
Hi, it looks good, but... isn't the choosen screen resolution too big?

No place like 127.0.0.1 .
WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2011 00:23
@TheComet - I'm considering it, but I am unsure as to what I'd be able to offer. Any ideas of how you're going to move along with this...?

Warning! May contain Nuts!
seppgirty
FPSC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2011 02:48
i would like to do some modeling. could you give some more info about the models needed.

do you need modern buildings or futuristic buildings?

do you want aliens and zombies?

should they have a cartoon look or are you going for a more realistic look?

are there certain animations you need for the characters?

any extra info would help

gamer, lover, filmmaker
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2011 09:36
@ miso

The screen resolution is my monitors resolution, you might want to scale it down to yours. If you're using CodeSurge, the option is in the bottom left corner of the editor.

@ WLGfx and seppgirty

Good questions, I added some more info to the first post.

Style

The game is a futuristic zombie + alien shoot-em-up.

Environmental - Alien plants, alien skys, futuristic buildings, rocks, caves, futuristic lamp posts, alien landscapes, domes, towers etc.

Characters - Alien Zombies (wow that sounds awesome), critters, 5 kinds of bosses, etc.

Textures - Flare textures, red blood, blue blood, green blood, yellow blood, laser beam texture, light beam texture, landscape textures, plant textures, sky textures, wall textures, etc.

Weapons - Phaser, DOOM cannon, lightning gun, missile launcher, sensor bombs, time bombs, etc.

TheComet

SH4773R
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2011 09:49
Do you need any muzzleflash textures?

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2011 12:24
Yep, those will certainly come in handy!

TheComet

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2011 14:37
I think a style should be set before anyone embarks on creating media for the project. I think a Boderlands style would be kul to see. Another idea would be to designate a senior artist to help maintain the style with all the submitted media.

Just a suggestion.

I like the idea for the gameplay. Maybe with a multiplayer feature you could have group members split off to take on several towers at once, could create some kul time attack modes.

miso
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2011 22:04
@TheComet - I solved that instantly, but the gui was designed to fit your size. I didnt want to mess with that, so I just disabled it to make it run and not to see text all over the screen

( sorry, I was laconic and unclear first )

Daygamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2011 22:15 Edited at: 22nd Aug 2011 22:19
Yeah, changing resolutions can be annoying. Text goes everywhere

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like it would be most practical to just have everyone use 640x480 resolution window mode

EDIT:
You could also consider something like this, so you could change resolutions easier.

SH4773R
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2011 22:31 Edited at: 22nd Aug 2011 22:36
Here's a muzzle flash, hope you guys like it

Attachments

seppgirty
FPSC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2011 01:59
i'll see what kind of models i can come up with. i'll try to scale the models to the size of FPSC packs.

gamer, lover, filmmaker
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2011 23:24 Edited at: 25th Aug 2011 23:31
Sorry it's been so long, I wanted to get a bit more structure into this before we all get started. Here it goes.

So how is this project structured?

Here's the graphical structure:

So 4 positions are open:

-Art Director for Scenery
-Art Director for Characters
-Music/Sound Director
-Programming Director

If anyone wants to take on one of the roles above, please post. It would also be very helpful for me if someone where to take the position as a co-manager, I don't have a lot of free time...

What is my role as a director?

As a director, your task is to receive work and/or ideas from contributers in your department, and fish out the good stuff which will be passed on to the project manager for implementation.

What's our Time Plan? What needs to be done?

I'll be honest with you. I suck at creative ideas. That's why I need your input to drive this project forwards. ANYTHING you have at all, post ahead!

The current documentation and time-plan can be found here or in the first post.

The next step

Here's the to-do list in short:

[] Find directors (and if possible, co-manager).
[] Collect cool ideas from everyone

Nice Muzzle flash, thanks a lot for making that I will implement it and post an update asap.

TheComet

Attachments

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2011 00:49 Edited at: 26th Aug 2011 23:16
Only if I get sqeezed in as a "co-manager"
I'll keep of with this and may contribute, but I've got a game of my own, quite similar, to attend to. Looks like there's a challenge to OpenFPS now!

swis
No, it's not pokemon.
Anomaly452
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2011 07:36 Edited at: 26th Aug 2011 07:39
Hey guys, I have been working on this peice of code for a while now and I think I nailed it. This is almost the exact method that professional game companies will use in first person games for the walking and camera rotation.

Improvements on your typical DBP first person coding:

1. The players position will not snap from place to place. It will instead smoothly glide from place to place.

2. The camera features mouse smoothing, which is used to prevent the camera from inhibiting jerky rotation.

Hope you guys enjoy, Cheers

The wisest leader is the one that can avoid the conflict in the first place.
Design Runner
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2011 03:02 Edited at: 28th Aug 2011 01:50
I would be willing to try Art Director for scenery. I mainly do freelance 3d work, but I've got a pretty decent amount of level design knowledge. Might be able to throw in some of my own art as well. Just let me know.

EDIT: following Martin's example, you can view some of my work on my site, www.designrunner.webs.com A lot of the stuff in there is old, as I am trying to finish up my new portfolio site which will be much more effective than a webs site.

Martin Donat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2011 09:18 Edited at: 27th Aug 2011 10:19
@ TheComet
Can I be an Art Director for Characters or an Art Director for Scenery ?
Here is some of my work:
[/href]http://www.imagehosting.com/photo/albums/gunbot-alien-invasion-artworks[href]

And at the bottom is a head of character, what I made for one of my games.

I really like Sci-Fi and Zombie games.

PS. Here is my sketch of enemy character "floater"
[/href]http://www.imagehosting.com/photo/floater?context=album&albumId=6391464%3AAlbum%3A1068301[href]

He can be normal enemy (like spiders) or one of bosses.

the leader of Mouseking studio

Attachments

seppgirty
FPSC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2011 21:56
here is a link to a zombie i did before for the 3d model challenge

http://chaosbrosfilms.com/images/ContestZombie.ZIP

if that link don't work you can go to http://www.chaosbrosfilms.com go to joe's page. the zombie is in the .x listing.

not sure if this is what type of zombie you are looking for

here's a pic
http://chaosbrosfilms.com/images/ContestZombie.bmp

gamer, lover, filmmaker
SH4773R
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2011 02:33
Could I be a programmer?

click my sig to see some of my work

miso
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2011 18:34
Is this still under developement? What positions have taken, and which of them are open positions?

SH4773R
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2011 05:16
Exactly what I was wondering.

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2011 23:51
The Comet seems to have left orbit...

If he does comeback I'm willing to throw some help into the project.

SH4773R
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2011 00:07
Quote: "The Comet seems to have left orbit..."

He will be back.... after a few years.

DevilLiger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2011 01:38 Edited at: 9th Sep 2011 01:39
i wander if the comet will ever continue the mega mash mothers game if not he would be willing to make it open source. also hoping to see the progress of this game too.

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
The comet has posted in other threads that he would come back here because he was in berlin... and managed to post in the MLP thread... and in the asteroids thread he made... but not this one ???

swis
No, it's not pokemon.
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2011 19:18 Edited at: 11th Sep 2011 19:49
OK back again, sorry for the huge delay I'm on post moderation for another 5 days, I hope this will work properly...

First I'm going to answer and give feedback on the new contributions, then I'll post the current structure and the next to-do list.

@ swissolo - I'm not sure if you were being sarcastic when you said you wanted to be a co-manager. I added your name in the diagram, please tell me if I should take it out again

@ Anomaly452 - Tested your code, and I very much like how the player moves around with WASD. The camera however is a little too smooth, I think this will make it difficult to aim properly. I suggest not smoothing at all. What do you think? I've saved your code for further processing.

@ Design Runner - You have some good stuff on your portfolio, I've added you as an "Art Director for Scenery".

@ Martin Donat - Added you as an "Art Director for Characters".

@ seppgirty - Good looking zombie We are headed more for an alien zombie, meaning things like biomechanical creatures, high-tech robots etc. If you'd give that alien a high-tech weapon and make him fire lasers from some weird limbs hanging off him, he'd be perfect

@ SH4773R - Added you as a programmer

=======================================================================

Here's the updated diagram:

You'll notice that I've added Design Runner and Martin Donat as a manager and as a contributer. If any of you two only want to be the manager (this means to not create media for the game, just organize every contributer), I can remove you again.

To-Do list

[x] Find directors (and if possible, co-manager).
[ ] Collect cool ideas from everyone
[ ] Weapons models, main fighting system

We still have 1 director position open (Director for Music), though it's not that important at this stage.

Next step

The next step is to get the main fighting system working. We are going to do this in parallel with the collecting cool ideas point on the to-do list. I'd again like to bring to attention that this project isn't a dictation, it should be a democracy where everyone can bring ideas. So if you have ideas, post!

For the main fighting system, we need the following models:

[ ]Phaser gun - remake (the one here sucks, or at least needs a texture)
[ ]DOOM cannon - make of this what you want
[ ]Lightning gun - shoots lightning
[ ]Missile launcher - shoots missiles
[ ]Motion sensor bombs - They will explode if objects come near (you included)
[ ]Flame thrower - self-explanatory
[ ]Wind blaster - shoots high-powered air impulses
[ ]Rock launcher - shoots rocks
[ ]Phaser object - for phaser gun
[ ]Ammunition for DOOM cannon - (if needed)
[ ]Lightning textures - seamless lightning textures
[ ]Ammunition for Missile launcher
[ ]Particles for flame thrower
[ ]Toroid object to simulate a wind blast
[ ]Rocks - For the rock launcher

So let's start with assigning these points to people to do, so we don't get duplicates of the same model. Keep in mind, we want high-tech weapons!

=====================================================================

@ Directors & co-managers - It would be good if you could post your contact info so contributers can send you their work. I'll make a list in the first post with the contact details.

TheComet

Attachments

Design Runner
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2011 03:39
Contact information:
Design_Runner☺yahoo.com (Replace smiley with @) (Please leave it like that, I hate spam)
I use that for Yahoo messenger, email, and msn. Don't hesitate to add me on those.

SH4773R
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2011 06:20
Following Design Runner's example:
lukeconnor50 ☺ gmail.com

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2011 06:49
Hmm, I'll take a stab at some of the guns this week.

Travis Gatlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2011 01:58
I Can do weapon modeling, i'm usually pretty good at that kind of stuff.

My Mind is very odd, it can memorize hundreds of commands, memorize 2 dictionary's worth of words, and make detailed 3D models. Yet my mind has trouble with the most simple calculations.
Design Runner
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2011 02:31
I'm going to start work on the missile launcher pretty soon. I have to finish up a job first though.

Martin Donat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2011 09:43 Edited at: 13th Sep 2011 09:51
Here are my contact informations:

martin.101@email.cz (my email)
martasek101 (my skype)
Martin Donát (my Facebook, we can create a group)

My name is Martin Donát, but in the forum name, I can´t have á

Now I will be working on the DOOM cannon (it will be a really cool gun)

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2011 01:14 Edited at: 14th Sep 2011 01:15
Hey, look at me sitting all on top of that pyramid I was testing you comet. If you agreed, cool! If not, it was a nice joke and would just wisk away as if it didn't happen. Was there always a co-manager spot though? Or did I just make it? (I see it in the original post NOW but...)
Anyways, I'll be sure to slap the comet if he goes disapearing again Lets see, contact? Just use swissolo☺gmail.com I suppose. I only use it for game-related subjects, so make sure to remind me to keep up with it. I can contribute pretty much anything we'd like too. I like to not specialize in the slightest and get "pretty good" at everything... Seems counterintuative but ehh... I've got a big pile of FPS code sitting around too. I'll bet we could use it, but isn't a MESS. I just spent time here and there on it. You can tell by the way network comunications are handled But anyways, I'm in.

swis
No, it's not pokemon.
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2011 10:38
Contact Information

Replace all smilies with an @

TheComet - Project Manager

email - alex.murray☺gmx.ch
skype - The__Comet

swissolo - Project Co-Manager

email - swissolo☺gmail.com

Design Runner - Art Director for Scenery

email - Design_Runner☺yahoo.com

Martin Donát - Art Director for Characters

email - martin.101☺email.cz
skype - martasek101
facebook - Martin Donát

SH4773R - Programmer

email - lukeconnor50☺gmail.com

======================================================================

I'll edit the first post shortly, and I will send all directors and co-managers an e-mail some time today. I'm in quite a hurry right now

TheComet

Martin Donat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2011 11:58
I´m not the best 3D artist, I can only do 3D models, but I´m don´t doing textures (texturing is too hard for me) , is there anyone who can texture my model of DOOM cannon ? I will send the model to him by email.

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2011 19:15 Edited at: 16th Sep 2011 19:23
I've uploaded the next version of the game. Here's the change-log:

Here's the download : OpenSourceProject_16_09_11.7z

@ SH4773R

Would you be willing to program that muzzle flash of yours? Here's a description of what is needed:

ReturnValue = CreateMuzzleFlash(x , y , z , size , life)
ReturnValue = DestroyMuzzleFlash(index)
ControlMuzzleFlash()

These should be the main functions that are required.

CreateMuzzleFlash() will create a muzzle flash effect at the desired position x,y,z with the size size and a life of life. If the function is successful, it returns the index of the muzzle flash (every instance in this game has an index). The index value is used to access the data of the muzzle flash data at a later point in time. If the function fails, it will return a value of -1.

DestroyMuzzleFlash() will destroy a muzzle flash instance. If the function is successful, it will return the muzzle flash index, otherwise a value of -1 is returned.

ControlMuzzleFlash() is called once every game loop, and returns nothing. Here you control everything muzzle-flash-related.

You are of course not limited to only 3 functions if you feel you require more. Check out the example in the first post (contains the complete code for the spider).

E-mail is coming, still working on administrative stuff and documentations.

Updated Weapon List

[x] - finished
[*] - working on
[ ] - looking for modeler

[ ]Phaser gun - remake (the one here sucks, or at least needs a texture)
[*]DOOM cannon - make of this what you want
[ ]Lightning gun - shoots lightning
[*]Missile launcher - shoots missiles
[ ]Motion sensor bombs - They will explode if objects come near (you included)
[ ]Flame thrower - self-explanatory
[ ]Wind blaster - shoots high-powered air impulses
[ ]Rock launcher - shoots rocks
[ ]Phaser object - for phaser gun
[ ]Ammunition for DOOM cannon - (if needed)
[ ]Lightning textures - seamless lightning textures
[ ]Ammunition for Missile launcher
[ ]Particles for flame thrower
[ ]Toroid object to simulate a wind blast
[ ]Rocks - For the rock launcher

TheComet

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
I never got that E-mail you said you'd send.

swis
No, it's not pokemon.
Design Runner
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2011 02:43
I never received said email either. I also have been working on the RPG (this is about 35 minutes work) and I have some UV space left, so what would you like to see added? I also have the high poly of this done. So its ready to be baked and textured.

Attachments

Fallout3fan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2011 01:27 Edited at: 16th Feb 2018 19:42
[deleted]
swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2011 16:47 Edited at: 10th Oct 2011 16:48
Hey sure! Could always use more

I officially declare this project: not dead
The Comet has been of in equestria for a while, but hopefully he'll return soon enough. For the time being, keep working everyone! You're hard work will be put to use, whether or not The Comet ever clocks in again (and I still never got that email )

swis
No, it's not pokemon.
Fallout3fan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2011 04:41 Edited at: 16th Feb 2018 19:42
[deleted]
AmbulanceGames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2011 22:00
If you don't have a sound/music director I'd like to pitch in in that department. Have a pretty decent recording setup in my apartment and some free time. Can provide what ever sound effects you need plus any male/female dialogue you may want and am pretty creative in the music department. My email is topherblair@gmail.com if you want to give me something to record to test it out.
Fallout3fan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2011 23:59 Edited at: 16th Feb 2018 19:43
[deleted]
SH4773R
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2011 09:23 Edited at: 12th Oct 2011 09:35
Sorry about my absence. I have been very busy. Yes I would be happy program the muzzle flash system, ill get right on it.

Fallout3fan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2011 23:31 Edited at: 16th Feb 2018 19:43
[deleted]
SH4773R
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2011 23:41
7z is pretty much a standard by now.

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Don't 7z .exe extract themselves? or are we talking .rar files...

swis
No, it's not pokemon.
SH4773R
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2011 03:00 Edited at: 15th Oct 2011 03:01
Its not a .exe or .rar It's 7zips own format (.7z). Your thinking of a self-extracting package.

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Doesn't 7zip support all of the others though? I've rarely seen people actually use .7z compressed files. I'm edging with Zach on this... Why exactly?

swis
No, it's not pokemon.
SH4773R
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2011 22:35
Don't ask me

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 21:47:35
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 21:47:35