Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Intel competition - 30 Ultrabooks to be won!

Author
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2012 12:09
I just got a link to this new competition from Intel:
Ultrabook competition

Might be a good opportunity for some of us

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2012 13:20
I'd love to enter this but it talks about touch and gestures in collaboration with ultrabooks. So that either means touch screen or gestures via the trackpad?

kamac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2012 13:43 Edited at: 7th Jun 2012 13:44
I'd love to enter too, though I am worried about touch and gestures support... Maybe TGC could do it the same way as they did with playbook? (Aka. give fast support for it)

I could test my RPG engine

Follow me on twitter! @MotionStruct
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2012 13:50
I hadn't read that part when I made this post. Maybe it uses Windows 8 API...? If so AppGameKit really needs to support it at some point anyway.

The way I see it it's worth coming up with an idea if only with the hope of winning an Ultrabook. If you get to the next round you already have won an Ultrabook which you can use to develop your app idea. It doesn't say anything about taking the Ultrabook back from you if your idea doesn't pan out

Maybe TGC would see it as a good reason to put support in for the device if one of us got through to the next stage.

3d point in space
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2012 14:02
Looks like a laptop with windows 8

Developer of Space Chips, pianobasic, zipzapzoom, and vet pinball apps. Developed the tiled map engine seen on the showcase. Veterian for the military.
Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2012 14:37 Edited at: 7th Jun 2012 14:37
Theoretically, this could be done in Tier 2. Just use AppGameKit as the engine for the app and mix in a few gesture APIs. Hmmm, just might enter after all.

kamac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2012 15:57
Yup. I just wonder how can we actually test those while we cannot test that touch / sensors.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2012 16:01
Quote: "Yup. I just wonder how can we actually test those while we cannot test that touch / sensors."

You only have to submit an idea at the moment. If you get to the next stage you get an Ultrabook to develop the idea on

kamac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2012 16:22
Quote: "You only have to submit an idea at the moment. If you get to the next stage you get an Ultrabook to develop the idea on "

Oh wow! I start to think instantly then.

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2012 16:40
And what if you realise that the idea is not doable?
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2012 16:54
I haven't fully read the T&C yet (attached)...

Attachments

Login to view attachments
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2012 18:46
I'm in, I've been waiting for a competition to nurture my current project. These days, it seems wise to wait for a competition with prizes (Intel, Playbook etc) to launch your idea.

JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2012 19:34 Edited at: 7th Jun 2012 19:35
Looking at the rubric I'm not sure that 2D games are quite what they're aiming for. Probably more likely that they want a killer app to take on Apple.

These are very expensive net-books. VERY! They could be running W7 or W8 or Linux.

I'm thinking "How rude is my gesture?" You make a gesture on the screen or touch-pad, it detects which territory you're in, and indicates whether you'll be kissed or punched. Feet could be a problem - nobody's come up with foot touch screens yet. Showing the bottoms of your feet is very rude in the Arab world. Instead of the usual covering of grease and kiddie-snot you get on finger touch screens, we could have lovely trails of Athletes' Foot powder!

Think outside the box, everybody!

-- Jim
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
thanks baxslash for the heads up
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Interesting. Still after reading the blurb, I am still unsure what they want exactly. It seems fairly open by the looks. I'll have to put my thinking cap on for an idea

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 11th Jun 2012 10:40
Quote: "Interesting. Still after reading the blurb, I am still unsure what they want exactly. It seems fairly open by the looks. I'll have to put my thinking cap on for an idea"

exactly my thought...

Hopefully they will have more info... soon... or maybe not...

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2012 11:59
Did anybody enter this competition? I'd like to know if anyone got through the first round, the confirmation is due to be sent today.

https://www.ultrabook-software-contest.com/

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2012 16:54
I didn't have time

this.mess = abs(sin(times#))
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2012 22:40
My reason for asking was to find out if the emails had been sent out. It turns out they were sent at 19:30 BST...I just got confirmation that I am through to the next round

My Ultrabook arrives in the next 2 weeks.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2012 23:00
Wow, congratulations batvink!!

this.mess = abs(sin(times#))
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2012 23:16
It's definitely another success for ADG.

Without ADG I Wouldn't have put Pile 'Em Up on AppUp. Without Pile 'Em Up I probably wouldn't have got this. Judging was partly based on Intel's assessment of whether you can deliver.

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
No mail here

Will they update their site with a list of the 30 selected as their site has no hints what is going on.

Batvink do you plan to make your project with AppGameKit?
As far as I know the project has to work on Windows8 right?
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2012 00:47 Edited at: 7th Sep 2012 00:47
Quote: "As far as I know the project has to work on Windows8 right?"

That's the scary bit, it didn't say that in the rules, it simply asked you to state the OS of your app. I've read up on Windows 8, and apparently it is backwardly compatible for most things (including OpenGL). Lee is developing a true Win8 app with Love Hearts,. I hope to be able to make a compatible app with AGK.

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
BatVink, you are right there was nowhere specified that you app had to be a Windows8 app, but all ultrabooks come with windows8, and they also have a touchscreen so it has to work on windows8!

Windows8 "Metro" (or whatever they call it now) does not support ogl. infact lee had to write an intermediate interface to convert ogl commands to dx!

however agk apps might work ok in desktop mode. however i think the scope of the contest was to have apps run in metro mode.

unless you are an agk beta tester i don't think we will have agk win8 in our hands anytime soon.

my plan was to use html5 since windows8 supports this on the same lines as c#. however i did not get any email, nor good nor bad news!
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
still no email here, but i have joined a team who was selected to try to help them make their contribution, as their programmer ran away when he got to know the deadline!!!!
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2012 11:27
That's good that you have found a team to work with, it should be very rewarding for whoever wins, to be part of the Ultrabook launch.

I've asked Intel about the Win 8 Metro-ised requirement, I'll let you know. In non-Metro mode, OpenGL works, but I'll have to speak to Lee and the team about overall compatibility with the OS.

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2012 11:39
Congratulations BatVink! Is it Intel branded as well?

Quote: "I hope to be able to make a compatible app with AGK."

You know I've been waiting for nearly a year for an iPad version.

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
BatVink, I can confirm that an AppGameKit app works with Win8 (i tested 64bit) desktop mode.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2012 15:10
Excellent, that is good news. I also got confirmation from Intel:

1. There was no OS restriction in the competition rules.
2. Metro is not a requirement but...
3. Windows 8 compatibility is desirable.

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
I think that you could get away with it by doing the project in AppGameKit and have it work in Windows Desktop mode only, then in the future simply recompile and get a Win8 Metro app, when AppGameKit is updated.

But I guess that would bring your chances of winning next to zero!!!
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
A couple of years back Nvidia did a similar contest... They sent out almost 200 dev machines to programming teams to make tech demos. By the deadline less than 40 of those teams finished something!

So my question is, what will happen if any of the selected candidates do not manage to finish their product?!!!

I think that in my opinion it was a "mistake" from Intel for only asking for an idea and not wanting to see a working prototype!
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
BatVink also check out this pdf link. I could not find it directly on the Ultrabook site:

https://www.ultrabook-software-contest.com/sources/intel_tac.pdf
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2012 16:10
I have the PDF already thanks. I also have the one where the deadline was July.

You get to keep the hardware only if you submit a completed application. That wasn't particularly clear in the original submission, so there may be a few shocked nominees. My app is over 50% complete, and when the Ultrabook arrives it will speed up my development. It's a multi-device app and I have been struggling to secure the extra laptop in the house, it's always in use for homework, music recording or Facebook

You'll have fun, getting into an existing project. Any idea if it's partially coded yet?

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
their project assets are ready, but the coder ran away when he got to know of the deadline... just as you suggested above!!!

1 problem i see is how will intel decide if the submission is complete or not? how will intel know that my game had to have 50 levels but i only managed to complete 25?!!!

i think as long as you send something which is acceptable they will let you keep the laptop!
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2012 19:10
The app has to be commercially available, so I guess that ensures the quality and readiness.

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
what is intended exactly by "commercially available"?

does that mean that it has to have been already released on some other platform?
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2012 00:15
I'm not 100% sure, but I plan to put it on AppUp and my own website. I'll be looking for clarification nearer the time, as AppUp can take a couple of weeks to be published.

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
From what I can understand Intel is mostly interested in having some apps to show in ads and photos.

The Windows8 connection is a bit confusing: win8 apps will be mainly downloadable from the windows appstore, and Intel have their own Appup appstore, so i have no idea how things will fit in here.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 14:25:38
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 14:25:38