Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / DoomedCraft (yes another minecraft enspired game engine)

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2012 09:42 Edited at: 17th Sep 2012 00:18
Doomed Descent

Developers:
SoftMotion3D (Sheldon MacDonald)
wlgFX (DBP Forums)

and the current download:
(no gameplay as of yet....but you can draw and destroy and save,n load maps)

updated: Sept 16,2012
http://www.smotion3d.com/downloads/DD_Install.exe

Feedback would be great so we can fix and add as we go along with this.

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2012 15:44 Edited at: 12th Jun 2012 16:02
And a quick video to showcase it in action. (recorder slows my pc down)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR2da7BTf5Q

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 12th Jun 2012 17:22

So this is the new thread right¿

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2012 02:35
you bet!

I will be updating regularly as the progress continues.

Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
@ SMD_3D Interactive: man this project looks awesome! I'm looking forward for new updates from you.
by the way, you might wanna add some animations for objects to be appeared.. like when you build a block,make it fade in or make those blocks come from the ground.. it might work rly good that way..
and one more thing; I'm working on updater system for games, and I'm looking for active dbp games to beta test it. if you intrested, plz add me on msn
sergy100%netvisionDOTnetDOTil

Skype gogetax
Sergey Kirienko

Advanced Updater for your games!
Fluffy Rabbit
User Banned
Posted: 14th Jun 2012 01:55 Edited at: 14th Jun 2012 01:55
One suggestion regarding the blocks:

One difference between your game and Minecraft is that you use texture filtering. It looks nice, but edges are clearly visible between the blocks because the texture is not mapped seamlessly due to the use of one image that covers all faces of each block. This is easy to solve when you UV map the object. Simply reserve a border around each face texture that preserves data from the opposite side of the texture.

For example, let's say you have a grass texture that is 6 pixels by 6 pixels:

Here is the same texture that is adjusted to be 8 pixels by 8 pixels:

Now when you UV map the face, make sure the bounds fall within the 6x6 pixel image within the 8x8 pixel image. This provides the same effect as mapping all faces with a single image.
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2012 03:02 Edited at: 14th Jun 2012 03:03
Quote: "One suggestion regarding the blocks:"

Yes i will need to look at the uv alignment. my textures are probably not seemless yet either but as the project goes i will continue to fix things up to look better.

Quote: "@ SMD_3D Interactive: man this project looks awesome! "

Thanks... Yes i have not even tried to animate anything for block placement yet.....but its coming soon as i go threw the code.

What kinda updater is this that your working on? Do you have a forum i can take a look at the project?

Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
@SMD_3D Interactive:
this is an early post i made about it:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=197346&b=2

but since then, i improved it a lot.
basiclly its a simple updater system just like in most mmorpgs.
you select files that you want to be updated, and all users that runs the game of yours, automaticly have them all updated.

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2012 16:02 Edited at: 15th Jun 2012 16:04
I made a new character last night to replace the current main character. I drew him simular to metriods samus for simplicity. Hes got a blaster in the right hand and a grapple hook on the left.

Quote: "@ Sergey K"

I'll take a look...

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2012 22:43
Added another video.... as well as updated the download from the first link.

I would like to work on the fire weapon next to set things on fire....should be fun!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SGLgxTChQI

Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
wahh nice robot!
i see you did a very big progress on your minecraft engine. looks pretty cool.. specialy that new video you made that uses the guns to blow off the rocks with the animation when rocks getting blowed!
pretty sweet man. but still you may want to add more animations to the rocks when you create them, make it more fun to play

also, when you plan to release it, you may want to look on my updater, it may suit your game really good.

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2012 00:17
yeah for sure.....at the moment the engine itself is a tad early for an updater......but would like something inplace like that for when the game is officialy released.

Yeah i better put an animation for drawing those blocks..... i agree.

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2012 11:54
Looks fantastic, keep up the great work!

You should add more gravity, it looks like you're jumping around on the moon or something.

TheComet

Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "You should add more gravity, it looks like you're jumping around on the moon or something"
maybe he wants to make it Mooncraft. didnt you thought about it?

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2012 08:13
HaHa.... No i can definetly add more speed to the gravity and jump.

Currently me and wlgFX are just finishing up with the tile types this week and then the fun ....major fun begins

Should have a inventory system in place and a way to create things from resources. Gunna take this in a direction that nobody will be expecting.

Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Should have a inventory system in place and a way to create things from resources. Gunna take this in a direction that nobody will be expecting.
"

sounds really intrestring!
i will keep an eye on this thread.. hopefully you will surprise us all

Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2012 01:26 Edited at: 23rd Jun 2012 01:28
Hey SMD have you seen my minecraft inspired engine? I posted the source code somewhere in the thread maybe it might give you some help (Not that I think you need it, your engine seems much more advanced than mine). Couldn't hurt to take a look.

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=181984&b=8

WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2012 02:25
@Satchmo - I remember seeing that sometime ago and was following it out of interest.

Currently in my progress list:

100% - Optimised 3d array data getting and setting (using asm) for the tile map.
80% - Instancing tiles for the local map view. More tile blocks and types to be added.
60% - Optimised tile blocks (only showing visible triangle faces) to speed up rendering.
90% - Loading and saving maps using a fast high compression lib.
60% - Procedurally generated map.

+ much more, but keeping them up the sleeves for now...

Mental arithmetic? Me? (That's for computers) I can't subtract a fart from a plate of beans!
Warning! May contain Nuts!
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2012 03:13
Satchmo.... actualy i did check it out of interest as well to see how you where picking object position for placing new objects as you had it very smooth in your engine. Also it looks like you have a much bigger view span then i currently have but we havent given up on trying to go further...

The secret looks to be by using instanced objects.....the framerate gets killed cloning them but dramaticaly increases with instanced ones.

Almost done drawing all the modeled tiles for this and we will be putting in some enemies before ya know it.

Here is an early screen shot of the new curved and thin wall system we are trying out. (normals still need adjusting)

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2012 05:04
Well i got some stairs almost finished up that im testing as well as some glass added in.

Looks like this is realy starting to take shape nicely!

Fluffy Rabbit
User Banned
Posted: 26th Jun 2012 23:17 Edited at: 26th Jun 2012 23:19
It looks like you have yet to take care of your texture mapping issues. If it's too much trouble, you could just disable filtering on blocks.
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2012 02:51
on the stairs....yes i never actualy re mapped the tiles when rotated......on my list...

other then that i will be mainly focusing on model work first before graphic detail. No worries....it will get there eventualy.

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2012 17:13
Here is a test run of the new light system....sped up of coarse.

its not perfect but it does get darker when you go deeper in the ground and it also has a quick day time night time cycle coded in.

now i just need to add more tiles and fix some normals/texture mapping.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inxRDkDSs8U&list=UU10WNY-Xu96J8EfVO7rFJXA&index=1&feature=plcp

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2012 23:33 Edited at: 3rd Jul 2012 08:45
Ok Download updated...

Added Lights
Added stairs
Added Wood Shapes
Added New Music
Added New Day/Night light Real time (needs work still)

Download here or first post:

http://www.smotion3d.com/downloads/3DGrid.rar

and new video of it in action

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_jItne_Amo&list=UU10WNY-Xu96J8EfVO7rFJXA&index=1&feature=plcp

Fluffy Rabbit
User Banned
Posted: 8th Jul 2012 05:03
Quote: "on the stairs....yes i never actualy re mapped the tiles when rotated......on my list...

other then that i will be mainly focusing on model work first before graphic detail. No worries....it will get there eventualy."

OK...

Quote: "Added New Music"

I bet you did.

I downloaded it, will try it out when I get home. Great stuff!
Fuzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2012 10:08
This looks really cool! Can't wait to see more

Fluffy Rabbit
User Banned
Posted: 9th Jul 2012 00:17
No source code. Now I have lost all faith in the project.
WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2012 00:59
The source code for this project is a mixture of assembler, C++ and DBPro.

Mental arithmetic? Me? (That's for computers) I can't subtract a fart from a plate of beans!
Fluffy Rabbit
User Banned
Posted: 9th Jul 2012 04:20
Quote: "The source code for this project is a mixture of assembler, C++ and DBPro."

The only source code I was able to find was a mixture of hex codes, 0s and 1s.
Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2012 15:07
Quote: "No source code. Now I have lost all faith in the project."

Just because he doesn't post the entire source to his game, doesn't mean it's not a valid project/game.

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2012 21:13
haha.... i cant make it open source.... but i could share the game engine afterwards if you guys wanna use it but id hafta pull it away from some dll dependencies (mostly memory management).

And actualy im coding it to be modable right now so you wouldnt even need the source code. You would be able to load my DC-Modifier app and just load your own content and edit the map the way you want it to start.

Anyways i will share more info once more progress is made. I will also release the modifier with it...shall be lots of fun.

Fluffy Rabbit
User Banned
Posted: 14th Jul 2012 22:21
Quote: "i cant make it open source"

Then I can't even begin to port it to DarkBASIC Classic. What is it with you and your proprietary software? First your commercial Midi editor, now this. I hope you aren't planning on making money off of this.
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2012 07:55 Edited at: 15th Jul 2012 08:00
Quote: "Then I can't even begin to port it to DarkBASIC Classic. What is it with you and your proprietary software? First your commercial Midi editor, now this. I hope you aren't planning on making money off of this."

Wow!

I even mentioned that i could do a rewrite open source....but you have made me decide to not even bother. Why should i bust my ass off writting you a version of the mapper at all with your disrespectfull comment. Hopefully you have swayed others to not share there code with you either!

As posted earlier from wlgFX ... a good chunk of this is in c++ dll extensions so theres no way your gunna convert that into dbclassic.

3d point in space
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2012 09:49 Edited at: 15th Jul 2012 09:55
I read something interesting about assembly code that might make you right the data with memblocks. I read somewhere that if you have assembly code in dill. The function call to the dll takes time too process. So in actuallity your engine might have a faster engine if its written all in one language as aposed to meny languages. Literally assembly code in some cases is faster then c but it is actually slower then c if not optmized generally you cant see the code rate difference from c and assembly.

Developer of Space Chips, pianobasic, zipzapzoom, and vet pinball apps. Developed the tiled map engine seen on the showcase. Veteran for the military.
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2012 15:18 Edited at: 15th Jul 2012 19:10
Well we are using Assembly (bare bone to actualy set memory) so it is actualy faster to [set/read] then the memblock commands...

wich is faster then this (original dbc code)

But we are still using a memblock yes! its just being set quicker then dbp can as far as i know......

I havent seen how tgc sets its memory so i wouldnt beable to compair assembly code....if thats what they used.
If tgc's code is quicker.....processing that chunk i have posted above is not faster then calling to the dll extension to do the job. not even close!

The other best thing we have is actualy the lz4 high speed compression. It turns your 190meg save file into just over 3 mega bytes and can load and save in under 2 seconds. I could never get that file size and speed out of darkbasic.....theres no way! So dlls can speedup your processes greatly.

Here is a current screen shot up to date (ignore my little green alien....hes not finished and i was using him for testing)

Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2012 19:21
Quote: "Then I can't even begin to port it to DarkBASIC Classic. What is it with you and your proprietary software? First your commercial Midi editor, now this. I hope you aren't planning on making money off of this."

Wow. Now *I'm* considering making my game closed-source too, just to keep it away from people like you. What were you going to do with it anyways? And if they're having to resort to Assembler in order to achieve a decent framerate, I doubt DBC could handle it.

WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2012 21:04 Edited at: 15th Jul 2012 21:07
All the code within the custom plugin for the games engine is only meant to speed things up. The map data access will be expanded further as bit-packing is going to be required to store the tiles as well as other data. Only assembly code will be able to access the maps data the fastest.

So far the bit packing is this:

We may add lights, spawn points to the bit packing but we've got 4 bits left...

A large map of 1000*1000*200 with just one byte for tile took 190Mb of memory and now there's two bytes per tile.

Extracting the values using DBP's own commands would bottle-neck in areas of the engine whether stored in an array or using a memblock and memblock reading commands. C code would speed it up but assembler is the last resort to reduce bottle-necking.

So to get the liquid level from the map it is much faster using something like:

Whether the final source code for the entire game will be released is something neither of us has even considered yet. The games engine itself is still in its infancy and a lot of coding work is still required.

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2012 16:14
Just wanted to say that this looks fantastic and I think it's great to see two talented game developers collaborating. You seem to know what you're doing and I really look forward to seeing what becomes of this.

TheComet

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2012 04:00
Thanks.....and i noticed....Ah yes PonyCraft Correct? Im gunna keep a close eye on that one too as it looks very interesting indeed! Keep up the good work aswell!

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2012 22:13
Looks like i got MultiPlayer Working!! Look Out!

lol!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RK5s9vHJQ54

Oh and FYI those characters are not going to be in this game!

Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
im not expert in multiplayer making, but im about 7 years programming all kind of online protocols including this TCP/IP that u used on your demo.
it looks like the way u did that, it will only will work on local network. if the player is far from you (remote network), it wont work for you good as it works right now.
specially if there will be more than 2 players playing in same time..

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2012 23:45 Edited at: 22nd Jul 2012 23:55
well....

This is how its setup so you wouldnt even see the difference...although... yes there will be comunication lag over a far distance.

The server:
-sends no data on free will and doesnt ask for any.
-controls the game output
-processes requests only

The client:
-sends requests
-receives data thats requested

thats it...

so the comunication will continue to be smooth....but yes will appear behind a little at a greater distance but you will always see each character move smoothly as it doesnt try to make corrections to it.

As soon as wlgfx is online i will test the lag difference...

hes in the uk...im in canada... should be a good test to see realy how bad it is.

Anyways....ill let ya know when that test is complete

I believe i just need to setup a port on my ruiter to 2302 for direct x and it should go.

edit:
The way i have it set up...i should be able to kill an enemy on my screen and mabey some 1-5 seconds later you see me do the exact thing on the pc at a far distance....but completely smooth.

I think it will still work and be ok....i've been coding 15 years.... but never multiplayer so this is new territory for me.

Hopefully it works....ill keep my fingers crossed.

Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
yeah thats why im noticed that u sending data every frame (thats at least what i saw from the video clip) wich makes the lag it self..

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2012 00:14 Edited at: 23rd Jul 2012 05:07
Ah... i dont actualy need to send every frame either...good point!

Also... i noticed i do need to send data from the server on its own....lol! As what if the server makes changes to the map...lol! So...got lots to learn yet but i will figure it out.

Thanks for the feedback...gunna see what i can do to limit the packet rate without causing more problems.

Edit: Ah! it looks like that is the trick....however you need to estimate where the character is heading to make it look smooth....

well this is gunna be tough!

edit: thanks to the post below. I think i can do this now by using curve value() but its still not going to be easy. At least with curve value i may be able to skip every few frames.

edit: not to cause to many posts.... has anyone managed to get port forwarding to work with darkbasic.....this is turning into a nightmare fast. i tried the 2303 port and a few others....any ideas?

Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
its pretty amazing to see someone who realizes so many things that fast. no need to explain nothing.
good luck with your project. i am definitely gonna keep an eye on it!

WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2012 19:40
A major overhaul on the map code is not far from being finished which will give the engine a few more features:

1. Instead of a set map range the new map sizes can be expanded and shrunk during game play and range from -32k to +32k in all X, Y and Z directions.
2. Multi-threaded map handling which handles reading and writing of map data to and from the HD and queues writes to the map data in a cache when the saving of data is unlocked.
3. Empty segments of the map data are not stored on the HD and any segment that becomes empty will be removed from the HD. This also means that if a segment that was empty, now has data in it will have a file written to the HD.
4. Fast and high level compression on the map data which also runs in the multi-threading code as to not interfere with the game play. To compress and save a segment is sometimes on par with the same speed it takes just to write a full uncompressed segment.
5. All the above is also aimed at handling multi-player game play as the server will handle the cache and write those data segments to the HD.

Approximate progress so far is at 60% completion...

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2012 03:55
Wow, that completely contradicts your signature... Can't wait to see it!

TheComet

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2012 10:33
ok its been a crazy 17 hours coding strieght....lol

But heres multiplayer!

Check it out!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qg2ho-w6y0U&list=UU10WNY-Xu96J8EfVO7rFJXA&index=1&feature=plcp

i think i got the hardest part coded in now....the rest of this game should be a breeze

Also this build is actualy up to 4 players at once but i didnt have more players available at the time of recording this.

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2012 03:49 Edited at: 21st Aug 2012 04:15
Quick poll....

What im currently working on is a game editor that will ultimatly be for building this game. What im wondering....

Since my game will be a long ways away yet....do you think you or other people would like to create game worlds with this engine...would be simular to a mod but could create a complete game with it using the characters and items from this game and be able to arange items/traps/enemies/bosses/draw the world ...etc in a sandbox multiplay edit enviroment.

My plan is this:
-Doomed Descent (Main Game Story)
-Doomed Descent SandBox Editor (Released with it)

The editor would give the comunity the freedom to create stuff in a sand box enviroment...and release their game worlds/stories for play on the Doomed Descent Game.

If you think you would like to see something like a sand box editor pre released and updated as i go along then tell me what you think.

If not i will hang onto this gem as im developing it and when the games done release it together as finished.

current specs:
-1 to 4 players edit over tcp/ip internet
-1 to 4 player shootem up... (unlimited lives at the moment)
-500 game maps that can go back and forth with spawn/exit points
-16 multiplayer maps that will be for special game modes
-world grid consists of 64x64x64 tiles x500 for main story
-online chat system
-online chat server commands for editting perposes...etc
-3rd person view
-first person view
-edit inventory system (ongoing dev)
and on going development....

I will make a video this week of some 4 player battle shootem up on the game editor.

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2012 19:21
Hell yes! That sounds awesome!

TheComet

"if you don't understand recursion than you probably don't understand recursion." ~Jerico2day

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 09:54:32
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 09:54:32