Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / How can i sharpen textures in fpsc?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Is there any trick which i can make the textures of the stock rooms look more sharpen! in the setup.ini or a shader?

in the moment i use bond1 normal map shader and im happy with it, but when go near to a wall it is very unsharpen?

Any help?

Corno

Public void likeFpsc{ System.out.println("I like FPSC!" ) ;}
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=196656&b=24
That Guy John
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2012 19:58
Bond1's shaders are great I use them too, but nothing really makes up for high quality textures.

Haven't used any of the stock segments in a while, but check to see what size they are. I create 1024 x 1024 textures for segments and entities that I know are going to be looked at closely. The usual sizes are 256, 512 and 1024. In order to judge what size to use try to find a balance for performance and necessity. It will take some forward planning when you are designing your levels.

And Here Is A Penguin:
FPSC OneSource [DeskTop App] - Bringing everything together into one.
Troutflies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2012 22:10
Hey corno,

When editing a texture edit it in 2048x2048 and save the final edit as 1024x1024 or 512x512 depending on what your system can take. Fpsc can handle 2048x2048 but you'll hit the cap way too fast. 1024x1024 look pretty dam good but still will uses a good amount of memory.

Do you have dark shader? I have a sharpen shader I made a while back when I get out of work Ill post it for you. Just place it in a t-zone. It works pretty well I think.
That Guy John
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2012 03:00
Troutflies,

Good tip, hadn't thought about.
Start at the largest then size down as needed.

And Here Is A Penguin:
Corno_1
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "When editing a texture edit it in 2048x2048 and save the final edit as 1024x1024 or 512x512 depending on what your system can take. Fpsc can handle 2048x2048 but you'll hit the cap way too fast. 1024x1024 look pretty dam good but still will uses a good amount of memory."

ok i can this do with my segemnts, but this not helps by stock textures

Quote: "Do you have dark shader?"

No
Quote: " I have a sharpen shader I made a while back when I get out of work Ill post it for you. Just place it in a t-zone. It works pretty well I think. "

that would be great

Corno

That Guy John
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2012 16:07
Quote: "ok i can this do with my segemnts, but this not helps by stock textures"

That is the point really. Shaders won't really make up for quality textures.

And Here Is A Penguin:
Corno_1
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: " Shaders won't really make up for quality textures."

thats right but i see at the modelpack 36 models(entity) that the textures are unsharpen too and this textures are 2048x2048! So i do not know what i can do! You can see it if you download it yourself, its a gift from tgc (thank you for this)

Corno

AncientGamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2012 20:14
I believe there is a texture reduction setting in FPSC editor under preferences as well as in the setup.ini. Have you checked those to make sure the textures aren't being reduced? Just trying to think of what it might be, 2048x2048 should look really great.
Troutflies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2012 22:22
@Corno

Here is the shader the instructions are included.

Here are before and after photos

Before

After

Here are some segments I have been working on both are 2048x2048
The trade off is that it just uses so much memory that your stuck building smaller levels. But I figured Id throw them up for the hell of it.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Ertlov
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2012 23:04
just some small suggestions from my side:

1. The tioling of the floor is too big, you need more tiles per square metre to make it look believable.
2. match the colors or at least the saturation / hue from the wall to the floor or vice versa, otherwise it looks "broken" in terms of visual perception.
3. make a "transition element" on the bottom of your wall texture. That can be a skirting board or a small cable duct or somethign similar, just ensure it doesnt look like the wall ois growing out of the floors tiles.

Come to where the madness is:http://www.homegrowngames.at
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2012 23:22 Edited at: 31st Aug 2012 23:38
Change dividetexturesize=0 in setup.ini

You should be just fine with 512x512 textures for walls, which lets face it are a mere 8' 4" in real world terms. 2048x2048 texture is equivilant to sixteen 512x512 textures not exactly optimising for gameplay. The player really shouldn't be wasting time admiring walls and its not leaving room in memory for objects that might require more detail.
If entity's require it you will find a field in entity properties for texture resolution. Some major games even today will use a 256,128 and even 64 pixel texture for distant objects which are merely color information and rely on a shader to provide a little detail.
For walls you have to consider using around 3-4 similar textures with slightly different details to prevent too much tiling, FPSC will pick these up if named correctly and place them randomly automatically for segments, this is also main reason for using a max of 512x512.

You can use up to 4096x4096 textures in FPSC (directx limitation).

Awesome! Its one of those threads.
Corno_1
Years of Service
User Offline
@Troutflies thank you for this i will test it soon
Quote: "Change dividetexturesize=0 in setup.ini"

I do this, nothing change
Quote: " The player really shouldn't be wasting time admiring walls and its not leaving room in memory for objects that might require more detail. "

But this is what critics always critisize by cod and other games! I not want to create such a game, but i wonder how other game engines can make so beatiful looking textures and in fpsc looks all bad!
Quote: "Some major games even today will use a 256,128 and even 64 pixel texture for distant objects which are merely color information and rely on a shader to provide a little detail."

I know, but this is exactly the other side i want

BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2012 15:43
Quote: "Change dividetexturesize=0 in setup.ini"

Quote: "I do this, nothing change"

Actually, there is a change. If you cannot see it, then it could be a few reasons. Your lighting where you work reflects off your monitor, the segment(s) used in question, other settings that may be affecting, you changed the setup.ini while FPSC open and it reverted back.

I offer example A using stock segments.

Example A-

Dividetexturesize=2

Dividetexturesize=0

Here is another example using Model Pack 8 segments.

Example B-

Dividetexturesize=2

Dividetexturesize=0

Clearly there is a difference.

Twitter: @NFoxMedia
maho76
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2012 10:21
go into your buildsetup and preferences and look if texture is set to high quality. happens that it resets to best performance when you have updated the engine.

Corno_1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2012 13:42 Edited at: 3rd Sep 2012 13:43
I did all for best looking fpsc game what i can do for quality! All to best quality and wolfs high end lightmapping!
Quote: "lightmapatten=32
lightmapmaxsize=-1
lightmapboost=4
lightmaptexsize=1024
lightmapquality=256""
Thank you for this
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=186371&b=21
With the new update it is for me possible, but nothing makes the texture quality better!
At time i will create a segement with 2048x2048 and if it becomes better!
@BlackFox thank you for this! I see now a difference, but it makes my problem not better

Corno_1
Years of Service
User Offline
And wow i create 2048x2048 and it looks amazing but it need very much resources!
Some screenshots! With and without shader(shader is a tweaked bond1 normal map shader)
]

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 11:32:37
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 11:32:37