Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Is it possible to simply upload a file to a server?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi all. I am looking at online highscore's again at the moment. I have searched the forums for examples but all I can find is PHP based stuff. I did attempt some PHP based code but with little success at the time. I can download a file directly okay, but cannot see an example of uploading a file. Is it simply not possible? Am I doomed to having to use PHP to get it to work? I am not too worried about security at the moment, if I get enough people playing then I will worry more, lol.
It is frustrating to have it working, but not updating!
My plan was to get it working in a basic form, then work on a more elegant php solution a little later on.

MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2012 21:28
Unfortunately I do not think it is possible, as far as I know.
You must have got a server side script that receives your file/data and write to the disk. It is like playing tennis without a companion. No-one will receive your ball and send it back you
Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2012 01:40
I was able to dig this up. http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=170586&b=1&p=0

It was written a while ago, uses some php (all done for you I believe) and was intended for DBP however, might be worth reading at least.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 1st Sep 2012 17:39
nice dig Hodgey!

I really hope FTP makes its way into the next AppGameKit update...

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Mr Valentine, FTP would be simpler for this sort of thing, although I know people will say it is unsecure. I am wondering what the service you are offering is in your sig btw. I have hosting myself for my web site, but I am still intrigued.
Hodgey, I have been through that guide from top to bottom twice, lol. I am no closer to getting a high score now than I was before I read it. It is one of the reasons I wanted to avoid php entirely. Last time I played with it I had the php server side working (from the tests in the guide), but couldn't get AppGameKit to communicate with it.
It looks as if I am going to be forced into delving into PHP again if I want this to work. At least I have got a file to download now, which was my main problem when trying the php route before. Perhaps I will have more luck this time, 3rd time lucky and all that, lol.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2012 18:41 Edited at: 1st Sep 2012 19:27
DVader - by all means type in the url and have a looksee... I already have one project up there for unfamillia and its had a fair few downloads already I hope to add a feedback form to the site soon... and improve the appearance but I want to keep it minimal.

And yeah FTP is so much easier, the reason its considered insecure as far as I can see is possibly because the password is local... and transmitted over the network and it is fairly easy to retrieve that information, again PHP can be utilised to allow a changing of that password anytime but you again are retrieving using PHP

so yeah the only way to keep the FTP folder and database secure is by using PHP, but if you were using a windows platform and MSSQL it may be different but you would need to learn I presume, .NET which I intend to do once I finish learning PHP and MySQL and a whole other bunch including JavaScript/jQuery and HTML 5... and CSS3 and you get the message [EDIT: I forgot to say I have completed HTML 5 studies and CSS3 and PHP, so just got MySQL and JavaScript/jQuery to go...]

If I can implement a service for the online scoreboards I will and it will be free... I do believe there is one already for DBPro somewhere on the forum... so maybe try looking for that, then all you need to do is utilise the HTTP commands and you are done

woo I need as I had Sushi last night and it wreaks havoc on my mind ahahaha

EDIT

Forgot to say there DVader you can email me regarding it...

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
The problem I have is my lack of knowledge when dealing with websites and such. I have a basic knowledge, but miss silly things. For instance my initial file download problem was caused by specifying my public folder, which I can see from tests now is not needed, it is already default. So I was trying to load out of a folder called public_folder that did not exist. It was not immediately obvious that this was the case when looking through the file manager provided.

I am now debating whether to use the free php account I set up when following Hockeykids guide, or setting up one from my new site. I'm sure I will get some success at some point!

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2012 05:02
Quote: "I am now debating whether to use the free php account I set up when following Hockeykids guide, or setting up one from my new site. I'm sure I will get some success at some point!"

I have a tendency to avoid FREE as a general rule of thumb... and my prime example is one of the best out there... MegaUpload... more than enough said I think...

As I said above... I have completed PHP and now looking into MySQL...

But if it helps anybody on here I would be happy to create a high score system / service for both AppGameKit and DBPro... erm and GDK projects... and it will be free and I will soon make a donate page for anybody feeling like donating for my services, not a huge requirement as my business pays the bill but any help would be appreciated...

Mind you I also have website hosting services and I help you setup your domain so that it doesnt have some silly extension like most other websites on the forum bar some long established users and mine is FREE and will not likely dissappear anytime soon...

And regardless should you need any help with web stuff shout me out anytime buddy

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2012 03:15
Quote: "Hodgey, I have been through that guide from top to bottom twice, lol. I am no closer to getting a high score now than I was before I read it."

Well, it was worth a shot.

I hope you can work this out DVader...and then tell me how you did it!

Marl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2012 14:24
I would also be interested in this.

Online scores was something on the back burner for me - the box I was planning to use to host is out of order which scuppered my exploration of PHP/SQL.

I too was considering "free" options.

If MrValentine is offering the server side of things, we could have some kind of community on-line hi-score project.

And I know we have people on here who already have this, so we just need to coax the initial code out of them
MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2012 14:35
@MrValentine.
Internet rule of thumb is that generally there is no need to pay, as there are free web hosting services including PHP and MySQL support.
I am currently using www.altervista.org, it is Italian and created by Italians , it operates since 2000 and, as far as I know, it is not at risk, it does not host links to copyrighted contents as Megaupload.
I created at least 3 web sites on Altervista, 2 of them are using PHP and MySQL, one is using PHP and flat files (agkappmarket.altervista.org). The latter one is used to host my on-line scoring system for Kill That Bandit! and Mr Otto Beat games.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2012 05:24
Senior MarcoBruti ... [is that correct? ]

I already said it is all free, the donation page will just be there for anyone wishing to contribute that is all...

I have quite a few projects in the works many for the benefit of the TGC forum community... all free!

I have been forced to power through my web studies in order to speed up not only these small projects, but also I have a project to win over for a client

Quote: "If MrValentine is offering the server side of things, we could have some kind of community on-line hi-score project.

And I know we have people on here who already have this, so we just need to coax the initial code out of them"

I aim to create a fully featured system where you are able to create an account, but I think I will be doing this through a thread here on the forums as I do not want to make it automated... to avoid abuse and then once you login you can create profiles for each game you have and for, should there be any special requirements each platform... even customise for DBC, DBPro, AppGameKit, GDK and now even FE... projects, and even generate the code if it is easy for me to do so... with full instructions of how to embed into your app... and then you do not even need to chase up the extensions or anything and it will create the needed server side features so that you can get using it immediately and it should work right out of the box... to top it off, I will also allow you to create your own HTML to customise the web page for the online score board to embed your own branding

wooo too excited over this, I just got a few more weeks to complete my studies and this will be in the works!

MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2012 12:43
It looks very promising, go ahead and let us know

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 10:34:25
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 10:34:25