Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Compiling an AGK Tier 2 project with Visual C++ 2008 Express

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2012 20:08
Hi!

I downloaded and installed the AppGameKit Trial and want to give this a go. But unfortunatly I'm having issues.
First of all it seems to be necessary to start a new AppGameKit project from the template that came with it. The template itself looks quite complicated to be honest! Most other engines only need you to include the libs and the header and not this complicated setup!
That had a negative impression on me, but well, if it works then I can live with it...
So I opened the template project in Visual Studio, but it doesn't compile properly! I get this error:

Quote: ".\Core.cpp(10) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'atlimage.h': No such file or directory"

So what's wrong? What do I have to do to compile an application with AppGameKit Tier 2?

JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2012 20:20
You have to buy it. Trial is Basic only.

-- Jim DO IT FASTER, EASIER AND BETTER WITH AppGameKit FOR PASCAL
_Pauli_
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2012 20:22
No, the official website states this:

Quote: "The trial also includes water-marked libraries for coding in Tier 2 using Visual Studio C++."

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2012 23:18
I too recently downloaded the trial. It was a tough choice but I decided to develop with Tier 1, otherwise I would probably be able to help you, sorry.

I must say, I'm having a blast with it.

I think you should consider giving Tier 1 a go, I know we are C++ at heart and it's good to have that in your locker, but scripting languages(or basic) allow quick a turn around when developing lots of small games. You also have no compiler issues and I think it will be easier publishing from Tier 1 although I'm not certain.

That said, Tier 2 games will run faster and you have more control so there are plenty of reasons to use Tier 2.

Not saying one is better than the other, they both have advantages/disadvantages. Just thought I would mention it since you may not have even considered Tier 1?

It may turn out that I miss my vectors, lists and maps too much along with some OOP features, but for now I am happy with my choice.

Hope you get your issue sorted soon

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2012 23:43
Try commenting out the line which includes atlimage.h in the core.cpp. I do this using VS 2010 and the templates work for me.

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2012 00:43
I might have spoken too soon, seems you can't pass user defined types into functions by reference, only value. Not sure if this is a bug or limitation but I'm not sure if I can live with that one

I have seen some workarounds in some other threads, I will look again tomorrow but I am thinking a workaround might not cut it.

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
it's a pity that tgc didn't update the templates for the latest versions. i know it's frustrating, and in the end the new users gets a bad impression of agk

if you check around the forum you can find a lot of solutions. i only have a fixed template for vs 2010 so i cannot help you much with the 2008 one
_Pauli_
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2012 09:38
@Matty

Yeah, I know what you mean. I started out with Basic programming, so I thought why not try it with Tier 1. But not so long ago I took part in a little competition (for the App Developers Group) which required all entries to be written in Dark Basic Pro. It went quite well after all but coding in Basic really felt like a step backwards to me! I mean one should create apps in the environment that they feel most comfortable with. Mine is just Visual C++ at the moment and I don't see that change too soon.
Another reason is that I need to be able to use some other libraries and since Tier 1 does not support plugins I have to stick with Tier 2.

@Hodgey

Quote: "Try commenting out the line which includes atlimage.h in the core.cpp."

I already tried this but I got another error. I can't really remember what it was but I will try again when I come back home.

@bjadams

I think it's a pity too, and as a Tier 2 user I feel a bit unsupported in this area. I mean we don't even get a working template to start with!

They really should think about how to better distribute their stuff. Even having the need to copy around templates and such is a little old fashioned in times of Wizards and the like.

Why didn't they do it like with the good old DarkGDK? Create a fresh project using a wizard and start coding right away. Even other engines like Irrlicht are way easier to setup! You create an empty project, include one header and the library and you're good to go. And none of this stuff is mentioned before you have downloaded AppGameKit and want to start using it! But well, I guess that's marketing... I'm just glad they offered the trial version. If I had bought the AppGameKit and was confronted with such issues I would be more than angry to be honest.

I hope we can get this fixed soon! I'll give it another try later on.

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
I wouldn't mind copying a few files and setting a template as long as we have some kind of official guide.

what i am always afraid is that these template fixes come from users, hence they don't have the inside knowledge like the tgc creators have.

so maybe these user templates are missing some important things
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
and let's face it, building templates for the main platforms and testing them out a bit takes max 1 day of work!
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2012 21:10
Quote: "seems you can't pass user defined types into functions by reference, only value."

I'm having no problem passing struct objects (UDT C++ style) by reference and updating the values within a function. Care to show the code that this isn't working for you?

I'm working with VS 2010 Express, that might be a difference.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2012 21:37
I am using Tier 1.

I worked around the issue by having global arrays and I pass index values into all my functions which in turn access the global arrays.

I must say that this is all rather weird and it seems very limiting coming from C++. I have decided to finish my current game in Tier 1 and maybe then try a game in Tier 2. I would prefer to program in Tier 2 but I think there may be advantages using Tier 1 when it comes to releasing my game, and testing using the players.

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2012 22:25
As one who started my basically done project in Tier 1 and then converted to Tier 2, I can tell you there are not many advantages in Tier 1 that I can think of.

The steps for porting to Android and iOS/Mac are pretty much the same, you just start with a different template. But make sure to read the appropriate posts, since the Tier 2 templates are all out of date. There is a separate Tier 2 Android template download from the 'My Products' page that works nicely. And I and others have also posted Tier2 templates (or relevant files) for iOS and Windows, and/or instructions on how to make one.

About the only advantage (for a good C++ programmer) for Tier 1 is being able to broadcast to test devices.

But, you can use Xcode (iOS) and Eclipse (Android) to load your game onto your connected test device. And it has the advantage of leaving the game on the device so that you can run it whenever you want.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 20:41:29
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 20:41:29