Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Dream Editor - DBP/Dark GDK Editor

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2013 02:58 Edited at: 18th Jul 2013 10:27

It tiz so flufffy!

Now with Game Template!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dream Editor: Project Intro

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ever have a dream to make a game? Had a story to tell. Wanted it to be visually spectacular. Have everything on your must have list for your game? Pack it full off content?

It has been a difficult task to build an entire video game from start to finish. It takes a lot of determination, hard long hours, and most of us give up or our pursuit of the final goal seems to be further and further. I'm sure we all have had this happen before. We have a killer idea. Try to put together a game and maybe have a year of determination before our dream of having a game is to far off.

I want to create an editor that is so easy to use that you can spend more time designing and less time programming.

Dream Editor: Project Details

I figured it was about time to announce my new project. It has been a work in progress all in small demos to alpha version of editors testing out certain ideas I had. I finally decided on the final look and feel to mechanics of this editor. This has been a 2 year endeavor learning, making demos, testing mechanics, GUI ideas, ect.

The great thing about this editor is it basically is a complete package. You have plugins, editor, and almost a language revamp. If anyone wants a command replaced for being so slow as long as it isn't tied to the renderer I will be providing new alternatives. I watched the threads that has said that certain DBP commands are extremely slow which deff makes a difference when you use that command often.

I do have a few "dream features" or features to get to after the first alpah is finished for the editor such as allowing the language to be interpreted with it's own built in IDE. This would only work in the editor so you can control your game. You still have to buy a TGC product to compile the final game and do some small scripting changes. I basically want to move mostly everything to a purely visual WYSIWYG editor with real time interpenetrated programming. This would be in the second build but a lot of these features have been tested out it is just a matter of time.

I also want to add in Visual Flowgraph capabilities to cut down in a lot of programming. It is Object Oriented and easy to understand (input/output).

Dream Editor: Feature List

Feature List: WIP | Done - | WIP - |

Visuals + System

Sharp Editor Graphics (Prototype Look Standard Textures)
3D Grid
Gizmos: Position, Move, Scale
Gadget: Arrow - Makes it extremely easy to stack objects. Positions on the top of all objects at that point.
Gadget: The Box Gadget is to specify how to rotate, move, or resizean object.
Gadget: Box - Get it Fully working: Scale, Move, Rotate
Gadget: Measure Stick - Get Angle and Distance Info
Gadget: Measure Stick - Snap to Angle or Measure Stick Point

Physics

Physics Types: Static Box, Dynamic Box, Static Sphere, Dynamic Sphere, Dynamic Mesh, and Static Mesh.
Physics CCD: Faster Collision Detection is toggleable now
Physics: Can position around physics objects and they collide and knock over other objects.
Physics: I want to be able to resize the object and reconfigure the physics mesh.

AI

AI (Basics Done) w Auto Boundaries for Dynamic and Static Objects (Real-Time generation)
AI: Auto Calculate Boundaries
AI: Edit Boundaries

Object

Slice Object: Can slice an object into two pieces. Can repeat this process.
Cut Object: Can cut a shape out of an object
Place And Cut Object: Can cut a shape out of an object using the object you are placing through the object. This would work best with windows and doors.

Terrain

Terrain Editor with Painting Capabilities

Enviroment

Nvidia Ocean Shader: Fully Working
Evolved Fresnel Water: Fully Working
Dark Physics Example Water (Fresnel Water): Fully Working
Evolved Ocean Shader: He is still working on it but I have support for an old version still working

Dark Cloud Support
Adjust Values of Dark Clouds
Evolves Sky Shader (Separate from AL System)

Camera

Top Down View: Fully working with Zoom and Pan
Fly Camera: Can Fly around the Level
3rd Person: Camera to walk around the Level.
3rd Person: Camera to walk around the Level. (No Character Contorller)
Full Character Controller to walk around the level in first person and third person view
RTS Camera View

Advanced Features

Auto-Rigging (Character Animation Rigging) - Currently it uses a technique I came up with. I'm working on looking into kinetics with skeleton and bone animation rigging. Demo version so far. Working on adding it to the editor.
Lua Language Support Standard (Unity, Barnski Lua, and working on my own lua plugin)
Content Protection: Encrypted and only unlock-able by the Game Developer.
Ability to drive vehicles

Some Features just for now...the actual list is well over 60 :p Will add more the more input and requests I get

Dream Editor: Wish List

Mr. Handy: Texture UV Unwrapping (Added on my To-Do List)
Le Verdier: Road/Track System: Spline Mesh or Texture Painting
seppgirty: 3rd Person: Camera to walk around the Level. Spell Casting - A Lua script could easily be used in order to setup properties to apply to a character. The visuals for this affect can be like a particle system showing the affects like poison.
Sky System: I was working on 3D Planets technique with the Sun and moon. I might start working on completing that later.
seppgirty: 1st Person View + Full Arms working, Cars, Helicopter Sitting and Driving.

Dream Editor: My Dream List

This is a list of features that I want to add to the editor that are either difficult or take a lot of work.

- Visual Flow Graph (Data Model to represent programming) Works with LUA Scripts
- Integrated IDE with Interpenetrate Scripting (DBP Language) and LUA Editing Capabilities.
- Dark UV: Ability to directly on Object Textures
- Multi-Player: Direct Integration w Connection Server
- Collaborative Multi-User Game Development (In the same game space)

Dream Editor: Terms And Definitions

Gadget: Physical 3D GUI
Gizmo: Non-Physical GUI: Usually using Drawing Commands

Dream Editor: News

Donations:
Ric was kind enough to donate me his project "GUI Studios" and allow me to use the assets and distribute them in my editor. He created a great product and it's great he allowed me to include it.

Bond: Free Shaders Provided are going to be utilized!
Evolved Shaders Integration
Green Gandalf: Creation of New Shaders

Some cool developments are happening. I'm working with some developers of some amazing products most people don't know about to get you guys some new amazing features! :p Going to blow you minds XD

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[/b]

Dream Editor: Game Template

What is Game Template you ask?
Game Template is every thing you need in order to finish your games easily and effectively. It compliments the editor by providing you with fresh and easy to use commands.

What makes up the Game Template?
- Plugins: With fresh new commands and even ways of loading the editors files directly into DBP to use + Commands to Access the Data.
- Tutorials: To teach you everything you need to know to make the game from start to finish.
- Tools and Utilities: Simple small programs to generate something or aid you in a small simple task or batch processing files.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[/b]

Help me get users the features they want!
- Give me input on what features you guys want to see
- Maybe a Direction of where to find materials to help me add on this feature
- Any ideas, request, input

I want to know what the community is looking for in a game editor or this product. Also, you can see the features you want in this editor.

Here is a teaser for everyone of the look:

Clicky on picture for large version!

DigitalFury

P.S: Dream Editor - Team Request

Once prototype is complete I will try for my first Kickstarter as I am trying to buy a lot of tech like DMM and a bunch of other tech! I'm actually trying to work out something so that everyone can have a lot of models included in the editor.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
DigitalFury
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2013 20:45 Edited at: 31st May 2013 20:55
Texture UV unwrapping was suggested by Mr. Handy. This feature is in the realms of possibility so I will add it to my To-Do list.

The concept without addressing the overlapping might not be that bad.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the Editor I managed to get a few things done. I got 6 physics types working completely in the editor with physics file exports. The types are: Static Box, Dynamic Box, Static Sphere, Dynamic Sphere, Dynamic Mesh, and Static Mesh. You can move around physics objects around now!

You can turn normal mapping on and off now for the visuals.

You can turn on CCD for the entire physics scene.

Posted more features and progress :p

I got a lot more done then that so far. Keep the requests coming.

Here is a tease of another feature:

It's better then this even :p This is just a teaser

DigitalFury

Attachments

Le Verdier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2013 23:54
Hello
Yes It's seems to be a very ambitious project...
I have some questions:
So it is a complete game authoring system ? or a level editor with scripting capabilities ?
It is one program with all integrated or several ones ?
It is only intented for DBP users ? (I don't want to be a bird of ill omen (not a pun...) but it's unfortunatly a limited market now..)
Does it have it's own engine ? (because not sure that the dbp/dgdk licence allows to sell it with a third party programming language layer)

Now my FR:
maybe a road/track system ?
if interested, I could provide some basic spline mesh edit/generation code.. (DBP)

wattywatts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2013 06:54
Well heck, if it has normal mapping, real time shadows, bloom and other shaders and automatic collision I'll use it.

http://mattsmith.carbonmade.com/
DigitalFury
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2013 21:50 Edited at: 10th Jun 2013 08:32
@wattywatts - Has all that and more already. XD

@Le Verdier -

Editor + Interperated Scripting + Lua
World File + Compiler = Completed Game

Will write source code and use my plugins to help along design and loading.

I want to make it all one program. There will be a few utilities as well. The scripting is in C#.

Using a DBP compiler that must be purchased.

I realize the market here on TGC is being taken by FPS Creator Reloaded but still DBP has been naglected again. I plan to stretch the market to anyone who ever wanted to make video games easily. I basically make a majority of the game making process visual. This makes it easier. A lot of the programming is easier and more accessable via lua.

Spline mesh as in the "physical mesh" for the roads? Sure I have an idea how to do that with purely textures. You can detect overlapping pixels by using coordinate checking.

DigitalFury

Attachments

DigitalFury
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2013 21:58

I created a gadget which gives me more control over selecting an aspect of the object.

I will post a video of the screenshot above :p

DigitalFury
seppgirty
FPSC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2013 02:26
I would really, really like a 3rd person view and spell casting.

good luck with this project. i've seen many started and none finished. i hope you achieve your DREAM.

book marking this page now.

gamer, lover, filmmaker
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 4th Jun 2013 02:55

Finally, some activity on the forums!

Let us know when you get the Kickstarter going

Work Hard and Good Luck!

DigitalFury
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2013 08:00 Edited at: 10th Jun 2013 08:33
Here is Music Analysis Demo I created. This is a hint at a feature coming soon. There is an amazing use for music analysis!

DigitalFury

Attachments

3d point in space
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2013 21:11 Edited at: 8th Jun 2013 23:30
digital it sounds like you are trying to do the same thing I am doing, but I am creating an editor in agk. That ok, but you are doing it in dark basic I am doing a editor in agk.

I already know how to make a uv editor with obj files that is what people want. I think i will give you some things I learned in making my editor.

I currently have animated, scaling, color changing, and movement in three d, but my project is getting way to big. So maybe I can show you popup menus, and changing menus in mfc and we can learn from each other.
Le, I have seen your track editor. It looks good.

Developer of Space Chips, pianobasic, zipzapzoom, and vet pinball apps. Developed the tiled map engine seen on the showcase. Veteran for the military.
DigitalFury
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2013 00:59 Edited at: 9th Jun 2013 01:00
@3d point in space - I actually want going to allow exports directly into AppGameKit later in development. Saw your work looks great so far.

DigitalFury
3d point in space
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2013 05:28
yes it is alot of mfc, I don't know if you can have pop up menus in dark basic but I think that pop up menus look cool, they have made my project look so much better. I can't believe I am making a whole game editor. I wish I had help also I should try to make a team of c++ developers since your looking for more of dark basic programmers. I have no clue of how to make a gui with dark basic, hope you find a team.

Developer of Space Chips, pianobasic, zipzapzoom, and vet pinball apps. Developed the tiled map engine seen on the showcase. Veteran for the military.
Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2013 12:52
@ DigitalFury,

Struggling to understand the scope of this project but it looks v promising.

Will the DreamEditor support things like ai, physics?

Support for databases sqlite, sql etc?

Support tools for inventory systems, dialog systems, buttons, dials, gui (noting reference to gui studio)?

Bitmap fonts?

Tools re making it easy to create uber terrains?

Something to allow for easy creation of water on terrains, lakes, rivers, seas?

Sky engine (with clouds, weather, sun, moon, stars etc)?? Shader based?

When you talk about auto-rigging - it that for humanoids etc. This is something i'd find v useful. If I created a humanoid shape in Milkshape or Blender, one object, could it auto-rig it? How?

All these questions and more...

a long time dabbler with DBC and DBPro with no actual talent but lots of enthusiasm...
DigitalFury
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2013 17:42 Edited at: 18th Jul 2013 10:18
@3d point in space - I actually am doing a lot of C++ programming. That is a majority of it.

@Duffer - I'm holding off until I have a video release. I've made almost 3000 lines in progress. It supports AI, Physics, and tons more. You can create weather effects. (WIP). Terrain Editing. Auto Rig automatically works. Will show demo soon. GUI is a WIP. It has a very large scope. Idea to finished game is my goal. :p

DigitalFury

Attachments

DigitalFury
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2013 19:03 Edited at: 9th Jun 2013 19:13
A few more sneak peaks:

Auto-Rigging:

I got part 1 done which does all the hard work. Part 2 does the animation playing on a different skeleton structure of an object. The second video there is no 3D. This is only animation!

DigitalFury
3d point in space
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2013 20:46
You should look at tech lord and see how far he got.

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2013 21:18
Looks v promising...

a long time dabbler with DBC and DBPro with no actual talent but lots of enthusiasm...
DigitalFury
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2013 23:04 Edited at: 25th Jun 2013 00:31
@3d point in space - He's ties a lot of different things together and throwing out DBP all together. I'm using DBP as a base for this project. Tech Lords project has a very large scope. He also could run into licencing issues if he does go commercial with it.

Mine does use DBP stuff but you have to buy the DarkGame Studios + any other products for the programming. Even if you don't own any TGC products you can export this to .dbo and I want to support many file formats. Eventually in the future when I play around with other game engines I will provide direct exports to that engine. My next target is leadwerks. I can explain how that works a bit later.

DigitalFury

Attachments

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2013 00:21
Looking good. The hardest thing to create is a comprehensive game editor that houses all the common tools required to get the whole job done. But the good thing about the end product is that you can also use it yourself to build products.

I like the name of the product because it is catchy; a bit misleading to people who read the name without seeing the big picture, but it is catchy.

I hope it gets done so I can buy myself a copy, some of the stuff you have started looks promising. Stick to it through thick and thin; fill the jar with coins day by day and at the end your overflowing with good content, that's what I say.

DigitalFury
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2013 01:22 Edited at: 10th Jun 2013 01:39
@Chris Tate - Thanks. It was something I worked on over the years and after a while I figured out different ways of visually representing what needs to be done. The Gadgets and Gizmos are what actually visually represent and control what is going on. I have a good 4 gizmos I created and 3 Gadgets.

I might sneak out a screenshot before the video release.

DigitalFury
DigitalFury
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2013 01:39 Edited at: 10th Jun 2013 08:33
Reward Unlocked

This is the Measure Gadget. Shows the angle and length between the two points. I also added an arrow which will position on top of objects. Makes it extremely easy to stack objects.

Added:
AI (Basics Done) w Auto Boundaries for Dynamic and Static Objects (Real-Time generation)
Content Protection: Encrypted and only unlock-able by the Game Developer.
Gadget: Arrow - Makes it extremely easy to stack objects. Positions on the top of all objects at that point.
Gadget: Measure Stick - Get Angle and Distance Info
Gadget: Measure Stick - Snap to Angle or Measure Stick Point
Gadget: The Box Gadget is to specify how to rotate, move, or resizean object.
Gadget: Box - Get it Fully working: Scale, Move, Rotate

Dream List:
- Multi-Player: Direct Integration w Connection Server
- Collaborative Multi-User Game Development (In the same game space)

Keep the feature requests and comments coming! I might post interesting demos to play around with for taking it further then requesting a feature! :p

DigitalFury

Attachments

DigitalFury
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2013 06:45
News

Working on setting up a proposal with a Modeler who owns a company to get a product added into this game editor.

The product is a character creator similar to Daz. It would be build around having low poly characters with different faces, clothing, accessories, and stuff. I might talk with wolf about maybe the character studios project he was working on maybe to expand on the idea.

The modeler would provide base characters to modify and change around. There also would be zombie variations of these characters to change around the looks.

It is another dream feature i'd like to see so I'm working on getting a demo together.

DigitalFury
Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2013 11:26
@ Digital Fury,

Make that 3d character development utility as compatible with things like FPSC/Reloaded and Character Shop - and you have a winner.

That alone would demand my attention.

DigitalFury
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2013 20:48 Edited at: 15th Jun 2013 20:51
@Duffer - I'm working on some epic stuff. The Character Creator will have auto rigging (assign animation to the object and export it as .dbo), swapping out accessories, hats, textures, and everything else, and I will provide lip syncing as well (might need to find a modeler for that one).

The last part of the Character Creator is the ability to manipulate the mesh like Oblivion or Skyrim which i'm going to contact wolf about.

Give me more feature request guys and I'll show more screenshots and progress.

DigitalFury
DigitalFury
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2013 05:46 Edited at: 25th Jun 2013 17:52
I've been really busy with a lot of things with the editor and life in general lol.

I got a lot of new things done in the editor I will show off soon. Kicking it into high gear to get that prototype done.

I created a logo so I can release the product under a company i'm launching. I do actually have employees just working on a final name and brand. "DF Games" and "DF Development Solutions" possible names.

Here is the logo:

What do you guys think about it? Don't be afraid to be harsh on it. I need to figure out whether to hire a logo design friend of mine or not or to use mine.

Thanks,

DigitalFury

Attachments

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2013 09:33
I think the logo is fine. For me, I'd have the name of the company more visible the red explosion/mist slightly more to the rear, but it's fine.

DigitalFury
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2013 11:02 Edited at: 24th Jun 2013 20:45
Made a few more changes.

Logo:

Opinion?

Thanks,

DigitalFury

Attachments

Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2013 17:08
The logo looks to amateurish.

Personally, I believe that proper logos should't use silly fonts, or have any silly flame/smoke effects on them. It's ok if you only make kids games.

This is my current project, check it out! [href]forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=204576&b=8[/href]
This is my website, check it out! [href]http:\\www.TeamDefiant.co.uk[/href]
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2013 17:41 Edited at: 24th Jun 2013 17:44
I agree. Also there is a lot of work as it is building the editor itself; was hoping to see work done on the editor not a logo; it's not like we can download and use the editor tonight; so unless the logo is actually going to do something really important, the time spent on a logo that does not look good or do any editing work doesn't really help anybody. Have you looked at the logo in icon size? 32x32 pixels? Looks like a flattened mosquito.

Better off focusing on the GUI first, then create a logo that fits. Anyway, I suppose you did what you did for a reason.

DigitalFury
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2013 20:43 Edited at: 25th Jun 2013 17:55
@Chris Tate - I can use my graphic artist possibly. What parts do I need to remove and what parts can I keep of the logo?

Removed the smoke:

The logo actually is important. I can't start kick-starter without them plus a video.

Although I only posted the logo I actually am very far with the editor. I'm working on AI boundary editor and object mesh editing.

The reason there is no download is I have to figure out what I can and can't release such as protected content. That might mean I need content protection so it operates just like a game you can't export anything. I also have to register beta accounts and setup the login and server in DBP. That all takes a lot of work and is the final step once I get a decent chunk done.

DigitalFury

Attachments

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2013 22:15 Edited at: 24th Jun 2013 22:22
Well the last thing I am going to say about this editor and the kick starter idea; is to not bother with Kick Starter. Not right now. Too early; you probably don't even know more than 50 people on a business level, let alone 1000s of people willing to fund your work.

This thread needs at least 50 videos or so of lots of content being made before going off into Kick Starter; you've barely got any buzz here, it won't be easier there.

As for the logo, learn from examples; look at all of TGC's products; take a look at the Unity logo or the Source logo; very simple. One of the important reasons for this is so that the logo can be easily manipulated and easy to memorize. Logos should mean something, what does your logo above mean? What do you want people to think when they look at it? Why does it not look like a company logo; would the likes of Blizzard, Valve or Microsoft purchase such a logo?

If I were you..

Create the working demo first, something people download and use OR something people can watch you use for 60 minutes or so creating stuff people really want to pay to create; then make the videos and banners out of the demo. Perhaps you are months away from being able to do that, which is why I doubt the kick starter campaign will stick.

You should write up a brief plan split into two sections, or documents. The first plan indicates what versions you intend to release and what features to release with each version so that covers your above issue about protection; this plan should contain a summary of why the editor will sell and how and when it will get finished. You can put details of pricing and special offers in there if you like; this will inspire what to write in any fund raising campaign.

The second part of the plan is technical, which should describe how the editor will work and how things will be created. And why they are needed. People won't take just your word for it, they want to look at evidence which such research needs to back. Even then you might not get $1000 in KS.

Without such plans and a working demo you will have a hard time raising funds; just look how far Fallout got with his game and he couldn't even get anywhere close to $2,000, and I swear that game engine could make millions if it were used to create a more interesting game. FPSC Reloaded did not properly reach its small target either.

If I were you I would hold back; and be more patient. Take some time to look at the successes and failures of similar Kick Start projects before you take that route.

If you have any friends or people willing to help you create this thing, focus on establishing a solid team, then the campaign will be much easier.

If you can't already work on this thing for 6-12 months without getting impatient, how do you expect people to pay you to do the same thing? People are going to look at your history which at the moment is looking thin; your profiles and products need more content and word-of-mouth. KickStarter succeess tend to feature industry professionals who leave large organizations with superb CVs and have their own resources; kick starter is used as a tool, rather than as a god!

A good speed up strategy to either make it partially open source or create a plugin system that allows people to contribute plugins; so people can develop aspects of it; while you work on the framework and documentation.

Design a proper video game, and build a DBP library like you already did, make games development easier for learners, write some tutorials on how to use your library; get a working game and 30 or 40 people using your game library, and use it to build a video game. Then Kick Starter will be more viable; people can back two products in one; the library and the game; after all you are going to need hundreds of backers; how many people are on this forum today? 10, 15? Even with the working demo and 100 users, Kick Starter could fail.

I've been working 8 hours on average per day on Sports Fiction, and will be doing so for at least another year before I even read any Kick Starter policies; I am already having the fun I want, creating the thing, finishing it is just the cherry on top; you've gotta enjoy the ride.

Take a look at the Acrogorpon game; DL187 has spent years making that thing with over 50k lines. It plays like a charm, it is fun and the engine behind it can be improved. No shaders in sight yet, the audio is cheap, but there are $100,000 world gaming tournaments out there with games that look like that. This developer has not started a Kick Starter campaign yet, and look; he has himself some players (including me) who would probably back it if he asked for it and a lot more than just working demo.

DigitalFury
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2013 22:22 Edited at: 24th Jun 2013 23:51
@Chris Tate - Thanks for your insights. I'll try and get the Dream Editor out there in a workable form then. This is a lot of work and the partial open source idea might work if I can figure out how to do so. A team would be favorable if I could find one.

This project already has 3 agreements with major companies for content and resources and additions to the editor so there will be a lot of investment on their end to get some pretty amazing stuff never seen in DBP until now.

Thanks,

DigitalFury

Attachments

DigitalFury
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2013 23:48 Edited at: 24th Jun 2013 23:52
Reward unlocked

Features:
Slice Object: Can slice an object into two pieces. Can repeat this process.
Cut Object: Can cut a shape out of an object
Place And Cut Object: Can cut a shape out of an object using the object you are placing through the object. This would work best with windows and doors.

Features:
AI: Auto Calculate Boundaries
AI: Edit Boundaries

Keep the feature requests and input coming for more rewards!

Thanks,

DigitalFury

Attachments

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2013 00:06
Support for SQLite databases...

Water/lake/river/sea - water shader - system

sky/weather/sun/clouds/moon(s)/stars system

inventory system?

DigitalFury
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2013 00:16 Edited at: 25th Jun 2013 00:33
@Duffer -

Quote: "Water/lake/river/sea - water shader - system"

Nvidia Ocean Shader: Fully Working
Evolved Fresnel Water: Fully Working
Dark Physics Example Water (Fresnel Water): Fully Working
Evolved Ocean Shader: He is still working on it but I have support for an old version still working

Quote: "inventory system?"

That is GUI based. That comes later when I get to making my GUI plugin.

Quote: "sky/weather/sun/clouds/moon(s)/stars system"

Dark Cloud Support
Adjust Values of Dark Clouds
Evolves Sky Shader (Separate from AL System)
Sky System: I was working on 3D Planets technique with the Sun and moon. I might start working on completing that later.

SQL Plugin already exists but I can provide support for SQL lite when I get around to the plugin portion of the editor. Right now I'm working on support to register users for my Game Editor. I will have a full multi-player registration system later.

Camera

Top Down View: Fully working with Zoom and Pan
Fly Camera: Can Fly around the Level
3rd Person: Camera to walk around the Level.
3rd Person: Camera to walk around the Level. (No Character Contorller)
Full Character Controller to walk around the level in first person and third person view

Visuals

3D Grid Selection

Thanks,

DigitalFury

Attachments

DigitalFury
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2013 02:33 Edited at: 25th Jun 2013 23:32
Thanks guys for the advise so far on the logo!

Here is a simple version I wiped together. Still has that flare I want.

What do you guys think?

Thanks,

DigitalFury

Attachments

Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2013 17:18
The logo is too cluttered. As Chris suggested earlier, reduce it to icon size and it looks a mess. (TBH, it looks a mess at full size.)

There is far too much happening on it. The silly flames things don't add anything to the logo, and shouldn't be there IMO.

Anything which makes the text harder to read is a bad thing, and it makes that logo very, very hard to read.

This is my current project, check it out! [href]forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=204576&b=8[/href]
seppgirty
FPSC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2013 17:34
how about the ability to go from 1st / 3rd person view to mount a vehical. Such as a car, horse, jet ski. helecopter..... Classic example is Grand Theft Auto.

i do suguest releasing a basic version without to many bells and whistles (for free) just so you can beta test the core of it and get it working first... I think that it will also help you out when you do a kick starter. People will be familiar with your product and more inclined to donate...... what do you think?

gamer, lover, filmmaker
DigitalFury
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2013 17:46 Edited at: 25th Jun 2013 17:55
@seppgirty - I plan on having 1st and 3rd Person. I also will have RTS standard as well.

There will be a beta release invite only for beta testers. No export will be provided and videos will be used to bridge the gaps of not being able to test the export features. The issues are stated above of providing a release. It basically is to much content that needs to be protected along with making a distributable version with user login.

@Mobiius - I think it might be the satin that is making it so hard to read. I cleaned it up just to get an idea for where to go from here. I do like the concept but like you said it would need to be readable.

I can recreate an icon size instead of re-sizing the image. This way I can keep the quality of it.

What do you think about this?:

Also, just so everyone knows I've made progress.

Gui Update:

DigitalFury

Attachments

Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2013 17:55 Edited at: 25th Jun 2013 17:56
Same issue with that font. Either remove the flame effect, or have it as a contrasting colour.

I vote for removing it, as it adds nothing to your logo. Logo's should be plain and simple. Crazy effects like that should be reserved for cut scenes.

Take note of your Dream Editor logo. It's fantastic. Simple, easy to read and looks good resized.

xCatalyst
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2013 18:47
Perhaps emboss some sort of border along your text. Here's a tip, take a look at it from far away. You notice how it all sort of runs together as you get further away? That's what you ideally want to fix. As Mobiius said, contrasting colors might help. Your logo identifies your brand, it says everything about you -- what kind of games you make, what type of graphics may appear in it, etc. -- so that is definitely something to think about. Just my 2 cents, and hey, the editor looks great so far

DigitalFury
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2013 19:18 Edited at: 25th Jun 2013 19:21
@Mobiius - So basically change the color of the text so it doesn't blend but stand out more?

@xCatalyst - I will make the adjustments. I do want to keep the flare for the reason that the text would be to plain. I'm not dropping the text inside something like a symbol of some form like for example my cloud so I have to add on some flare to the text.

The flame is a symbolism of sorts so i'm figuring a good way of incorporating it.

Thanks,

DigitalFury
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2013 20:44
Quote: "So basically change the color of the text so it doesn't blend but stand out more?"

Honestly, ditch the border effects.

If the flame is important, try an inner flame effect since the font is so wide. Have the flames in a flame color or something.

xCatalyst
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2013 21:14
Or even make a flame icon/emblem of some sort, next to your name. Consider this picture (attached) that I just quickly drew up.

Attachments

DigitalFury
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2013 23:32 Edited at: 26th Jun 2013 02:31
@xCatalyst - Very nice. Looks very close to another logo I have in my mind but have no idea what it is from that exactly like that with a character overlay-ed.

I might stray away from the icon look. I'm trying to make it look more abstract if I can, but maybe i'll stumble upon something unique after a while of playing around.

In case you guys were wondering what your suggestions to the previous logo would look like:

If I definitely should stray away from this design I'll move onto a new look.

DigitalFury

Attachments

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2013 01:34 Edited at: 26th Jun 2013 01:44
Please Digital Fury, I beg you to trust us; it does not look right.

The D and F, looks OK; the spattering does not. What kind of look are you going for? Post up some images of similar logos then perhaps I could tell you how to create it.

The logo needs to be a symbol; like a glyph or abbreviation. Most importantly it needs to be describable. How would you describe your logo if you saw it for 2 seconds walking by a poster on street? So far poop comes to mind. The splattering is good for posters or backdrops; but is not symbol; or at least you've not made it a logical part of the symbol; the splattering has no meaning; it doesn't look like a game editor logo.

As was said, your dream logo looks better; although not the best of names in my opinion.

You didn't answer my question before; what does the logo mean? Looking at the TGC logo, the metalic shiney new technical look it carries means 'up to date', 'powerful' and 'solid.' What does your logo mean? Scary?

DigitalFury
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2013 02:41 Edited at: 26th Jun 2013 02:45
@Chris Tate - Thanks for the advise so far.

Digital, Fury, Chaos, Limitless, Dream, Virus, Black, more?
Digital - Computer, Solutions, Programming
Fury - Fire, Passion, Momentum, Direction
Limitless - "Can do anything if you put your mind to it"
Chaos - Destruction (emphasis on destruction and mayhem. Might apply to zombie game)
Dream - Something that we can never reach because it is always further away the more we imagine it. Clouds is what I thought of next. We can't touch the clouds or reach into the sky but we know it is there. The editor is just to make the dream become reality instead of drifting away.
Virus - Consume, infect, transfer, take over, spread (could mean in terms of markets, an idea, or a dream if combined correctly)
Black - Sharp, Bold, Emptyness, Highlighting, Dark, Creepy, Where your nightmares come from (more towards zombie game and graphic looks)

Just some thought experiments to get a direction going. The idea is to get a logo to "reflect this". My last experiment with a logo was a flame tinted black like dirty or mud or virus (might have added like an infection off of the flames). I kinda got a direction just putting it visually will take a while. Hopefully that answers your question.

As far as fonts go what do you guys think about this?:

The editor is still progressing nicely. Doing research into increasing quality and decreasing polygon counts. Working on an shader method which will make it easier to handle shaders. Found a library that I could add to DBP that would give DBP real shader power. (Would take heavy work). Playing around with GUI to get ideas for the GUI plugin and how I want it to function. Working on adding list views for loading in objects, textures, and more into for easy selection.

DigitalFury

Attachments

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2013 15:41 Edited at: 26th Jun 2013 15:55
That's a start; it needs more value however. First it needs to not look like a kid could create it in the Gimp in 3 minutes.

Play around with some layer styles. Bring the F close to the D so they look almost connected, part of the same symbol. I'd recommend you use 2 to 3 colours; 2 adjacent colours and a complimentary colour which could be used for depth.

Try to make the edges more like you defined them and not the brush. Try to use the grid to keep it tidy.

People are sub-consciously inclined to reject anything as being tidy, if it does not fall into some kind of a grid; this goes way back in the Egyptian era; this is why most logos which reflect "structure", "programming" or "solutions" tend to fit perfectly next to text or images on a document, oblivious to any visual grid.

Dream

Fury

Digital

I am sure a combination of these should help you come up with something that means what it says without words. Don't copy them, but just extract ideas to make the DF look more like a logo. Note that none of these need splatters and slashes of pixels scattered about to send the message.

Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2013 15:59 Edited at: 26th Jun 2013 16:00
i liked the Dream Center logo
i understand from it that if you work for that company, you will be payed in Dreams

@Digital: show them my logo i made for you really quick.. see the responces on that.

Stream SnifferTools/Plugins/Models/Games and more!
xCatalyst
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2013 16:52 Edited at: 26th Jun 2013 17:07
Quote: "That's a start; it needs more value however"

I am tending to agree here. You said you want your theme to reflect digital, and frankly, flames on text does not scream a digital theme to me. Ask yourself what is the first thing you think of when you look at those letters? What products can come from a company with that look?

You'd probably think of some sort of horror genre. Then you scroll over to your products, and customers are disappointed because instead of the horror games they are expecting, they get things such as the dream editor. See what I'm saying? Your themes should be relatively consistent with each other (not the same, but atleast giving off the same initial impressions). I understand you want to put your flare and personality into it a little, but there are definitely better ways to do so.

A note about fonts and logos: Fonts don't necessarily make up the entirety of logos. Think of some of the biggest companies you know. Apple for example uses a simple apple bitten apple icon with myriad font. Myriad is one of the most common font families. Specialized fonts are usually just that; Specialized, unique to the business. Take Blizzard's font; if any other company used that commercially, everybody would be able to easily recognize that as Blizzard's font. I believe if you are going to use one, it should be made just for your business.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 08:16:13
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 08:16:13