Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / [Project] Land Conquest

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2013 10:14 Edited at: 9th Jun 2016 10:39
This is yet another attempt at this project. This time around with the collected knowledge from past projects Fruit Wars, [NaGaCreMo 2012] Land Conquest, Maple Spirit and various others all put into one use.

Ever since I first picked up DBPro, I had originally wanted to make my project like this but I just didn't know how! So after all this time bouncing around from projects to projects and picking up the required skills I think it's time to give it a go. Just like the title suggests, the gameplay is pretty much like that of the previous title.

Progress:
Terrain
Camera Control
Animations
Story
Gameplay

NOTE: These are not actual 3D objects, they are flat planes animated with textures. I chose this route because 200 of the actual models would just kill the fps.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Nabz_32x
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice Project idea,

do you have a link to the previous Project, which has similar gameplay?
I am kinda curious on the gameplay now.

Your signature has been erased by a mod, please reduce it to no larger than 600 X 120.
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2013 19:47 Edited at: 9th Jun 2016 10:16
@Nabz_32x
Here are the links. These projects where to learn to code the game mechanics.

Fruit Wars
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=161076&b=8

Land Conquest (2D version)
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=193446&b=8

I am currently having trouble with projectile units, although I've done this using 2D sprites before this has gotten me stumped.

Attachments

Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2013 09:13 Edited at: 9th Jun 2016 10:22
Update:
Got the battle working. Need to work out projectiles next and finish 2 more troop types before the real fun starts. Bringing back the old main characters are going to be a blast!

I had thought the archer unit would suck up all my time but it was done sooner than expected, although it still took a decent amount of time.

Attachments

thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2013 14:07
Keep up the good work! Looking unique. You have a good style going, and the 2.5d system is going to allow you to create some pretty epic scenarios that aren't often seen in dbpro.

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2013 16:06
This is awesome, can't wait to see more

Arbrakan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2013 16:17
Great work, love the style !
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2013 23:24
Looking quite good.

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2013 21:50
Great to see you giving this another shot. All the best!

TheComet

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2013 00:16
Quote: "currently having trouble with projectile units"

do you mean depicting the arrows in flight or ?

Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks everyone, is a great boost to my moral .

@TheComet
Yes hopefully I get further this time around.

@Virtual Nomad
Yes I wasn't too sure how I wanted to work it out but I might've found a solution to it.

Been planning to ad a new map but cant decide which to do first, what do you guys think Forest or Desert?

Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
I've always been a fan of your work Ashingda. This looks like your best game yet.

It's amazing how good your characters look for flat planes.

wattywatts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2013 04:25
This is looking like Dragon Force, one of my favorite games of all time. I've been wanting to work on a project like this for forever, you must finish it!

http://mattsmith.carbonmade.com/
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2013 05:49 Edited at: 9th Jun 2016 10:32
@Jimpo
Thanks very much. The characters are actual 3D models, the frames were just simply recorded into images. This also makes it much faster to produce more character animations. Here is my blender view.

@wattywatts
This is heavily based on Dragon force . I had wanted to make my own ever since learning the developers STOP making that game, why would they do that, who know... Glad to see other fans of that awesome game. It's going to be a similar type game but most of the combat rules are going to be very different. AI will just not stand and the battle will no longer rely solely on spell effects.

Attachments

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 14th Aug 2013 08:51
Very nice!

I have been contemplating making something similar!

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2013 15:24
vote: desert

Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2013 05:32
agreed, desert. its one biome that often seems underloved in games.

I'm gonna be king of the moon dots!
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2013 09:59 Edited at: 9th Jun 2016 10:19
Update:
Added a cheap desert map, it took less than 10 min. I really don't know what else I can do with it for now.

Some characters will have multiple weapon types such as Spear+Bow in this video. This is actually one of the main characters, he is cloned 200 each to test function. Will probably be adding forest next.

I got the projectiles working. I've done this method working with 2D before, but I didn't think the same exact technique would work so well with this....

Some animations has been removed to save memory; such as the diagonal running and taunting.

If anyone is wondering, that thing on his head is a horn.

Attachments

Nabz_32x
Years of Service
User Offline
Do you plan adding Castle sieges, or something like that in the game too? Also wondering if you will make some tactic Options to choose from before the battle starts, maybe different starting formations or a stay behind and shoot Option for the Units who have projectile weapons at Hand.

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2013 01:53
This looks really nice. The 2D animations are deceptively 3D and your modeling skills are great. The soldiers' armor reminds me of the Desians from Tales of Symphonia.

What will the goal of the game be/what obstacles will stand in the way of that goal?

I look forward to seeing how the mage/assassin turn out as well.

Hmm. It's been a while .
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2013 02:03
That's cool Ashingda! Pretty smooth fighting mechanics you have there. They may be a touch too slow, have you tried speeding the animations up a little?

I literally thought of an idea right now whilst posting a response: From what I gather, this is a cartoonish anime style kind of thing? I'd find it interesting if you simulated stop-motion in your animations. It'd fit the style you're going for quite well.

TheComet

Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2013 09:40 Edited at: 18th Aug 2013 09:41
@Nabz_32x
Will be no siege, or not until I can figure it out. The initial formation is selected before the battle. Some characters can change formations during battle. All commands are done using a drop menu of some sort.

I have been working up some ideas on this matter.

@Sixty Squares
Thanks, I spent countless hours picking up modeling. I'm still quite the noob compared to half the stuff floating around. The goal of the game is to conqueror the whole land . One of the main character (the one with the horn) is half-demon and knows about a planned invasion of the human world. You must unite everyone by FORCE to prepare for the big war.

@TheComet
The animation speed was slowed down to give the player time to respond, but now that you mention it I'll give it a few more speed test. As for stop-motion, are you referring to the individual textures or for something of a movie?

Attachments

Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Update:
Add Mage unit. Along with spell circle effect and fire spell projectile.

Had a rough time with animating the cloth at first but we got along in the end. Expect to see more cloth characters now . I had to watch a tutorial on how to make fire, very useful stuff. The only troop unit left is the assassin class. This one will take some time, because it looks the most different from the basic soldiers.

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2013 05:51
Nice style! This educated me about this game genre, not one I'm familiar with. I really hope you can continue with this to get it 100% done, it's these types of ideas that deserve the limelight.

I'd love to play this type of game on a phone or tablet TBH.

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2013 13:03
Quote: "As for stop-motion, are you referring to the individual textures or for something of a movie?"

Actually never mind, you're already doing it. The animations aren't perfectly smooth, they're jagged. I like it.

TheComet

Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Update:
Done with Assassin unit. There are 6 different colors and each has a different variation of weapons for each unit types. The animation frames are limited so is best to make good use of them. For example the Assassin unit for Silver color uses a dagger but the Red color will uses a katana. For now they all have the same stuff but It will be adding soon. The real fun can now start with making the rest of the main characters.

Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2013 01:37 Edited at: 21st Aug 2013 01:37
Update:
Completed the 2nd main character, Zatsuo who is an assassin type. I might add another larger sword onto him.

Attachments

Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2013 01:26 Edited at: 3rd Sep 2013 23:36
Update:
Done with 3rd character Lashiin, she is a fighter type unit with white magic. If anyone remembers this character from fruitwars, it's the same one. Changed the color and dress.

Attachments

Agent Dink
Years of Service
User Offline
This is awesome. Is there any way you can make the corpses stay? That might look pretty cool.

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2013 20:24
Quote: "This is awesome. Is there any way you can make the corpses stay? That might look pretty cool."

I second this notion. Obviously you can't keep the corpses there forever, but you could have them slowly sink into the ground before disappearing (and later improve that effect with a shader if need be).

Looking great!

TheComet

xCatalyst
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2013 15:55
Looks pretty fantastic. My only critique would be how rigid each character's movement is. It's very constant and linear. Perhaps add some sort of acceleration & deceleration to make it appear more natural.

Chris Ritchie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2013 00:02
Loving the look of this Ashingda keep up the good work!

Lead programmer ULIDIA
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2013 05:39 Edited at: 25th Aug 2013 05:47
Update:
Working on the individual duels. The fight is based off the character's stats. Every unit has a total of 6 core stats that effects the outcome of combat.

STR: Strength
Maximum HP
Physical Damage Rate
Melee Accuracy

DEX: Dexterity
Arrow Accuracy
Arrow Evasion
Technique Evasion

AGI: Agility
Melee Evasion
Combo Hit Rate

INT: Intelligence
Magical Damage Rate
Technique Rate
Formation Options

WIT: Wit
Magical Accuracy
Critical Evasion

MEN: Mentality
Critical Hit Rate
Magical Evasion

Made updates to Zatsuo. Assassin units are now dual-wield making two separate attacks in one go.

@Agent Dink
I tried leaving the corpse but it just looks cluttered LOL.

@TheComet
Sliding the corpse downward didn't look to great with texutred planes.

@xCatalyst
I had just added a randomized pause to vary the movements a bit.

@Chris Ritchie
Thanks very much.

Attachments

Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2013 13:21 Edited at: 9th Jun 2016 10:33
Seriously this model took WAY too long to complete and now still have to animate it and model the weapon. I learned new modeling tricks on this one. Had a very hard time making her hair, I could have just made a simple new hair style but she is a character from FruitWars and I didn't want to change much.

Attachments

ArK 48k
Years of Service
User Offline
Mind is officially blown my friend!!! Excellent work Ashingda. I was wondering how far did you actually get with Fruit Wars a remember following the project until it all of a sudden died (as many of my projects do)?
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2013 06:37 Edited at: 31st Aug 2013 23:38
@ArK 48k
Thanks very much. I got about 50% done with Fruit Wars. The battle was nearly finished just needed to tweek the AI. What I didn't get done was everything else such as the Map gameplay and the plot.

I jumped to Land Conquest 2D version at the time to figure out and learn to do the Map portion, then some other various projects to learn 3D modeling, terrains, textures, etc and now here I am.

Updates:
Finished with Dakarai. Warrior type unit with demon magic.

The king of the large trade nation with the greatest cultural diversity in the continent. They have harness the ability to use demon magic through countless efforts with accumulative knowledge brought in from all around. There is a rumor of a prophecy that claims a demon invasion in the near futher. Although many scuff in disbelief, king Dakari cautiously prepares for the worst for the moment he had awaken his demonic powers he has felt a premonition of what is to come.

I thought the last model was hard, this one took twice as long! I did learn something new so I'm happy about that. The media portion takes so much time but it's nothing without the coding. I will hopefully get a video of the updates and changes soon. Just have one more unique character left then I can start mass producing!

Attachments

Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2013 08:56
I've been really impressed with your characters, each is a clear individual, yet all support a common thematic style.

This is shaping up really well! Nice work.

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2013 22:04 Edited at: 31st Aug 2013 22:06
I've not seen these kinds of character designs around much; which means they are good.

Might also be a good idea to watermark your screenshots. In the unlikely event that someone steals the character concepts and produces them in their own brand, at least the copyright notice and watermarks can be used as evidence in court; in this day and age their are some cruel people out there performing overly derivative works.

Although I must admit after a hard days work, you just want to share with the world your hard work, and I often forget to protect the images.

Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2013 23:34 Edited at: 9th Jun 2016 10:33
@Ortu
I'm glad they are somewhat appealing. I really did spend a lot of time thinking them up.

@Chris Tate
I haven't spent much time thinking about protecting the images. I figure I can always just simply make up new ones. But it'll save a lot of time and effort is I take your advice.

Updates:
Got done with the last of the protagonists. Khaiyan is a mage type unit with a catalyst that can be drawn out and becomes a sword for close combat. This took the longest so far, mostly because I just didn't know what the heck I was doing! I did learn how to manipulate the hood so future characters can also have one now. Also this model will probably be changed/adjusted a lot later.

Next up is the battle AI, going to be lots of fun now that I'm back on the coding part. Modeling is fun too but I'm a programmer at heart.

Attachments

Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2013 01:27 Edited at: 11th Sep 2013 01:28
Update:
Portrait Added
HP Bar Added
MiniMap Added
Battle Menu Working
Troop Command 100% Done
Formation Command 20% Done

Most of the work was to move the troops correctly when using the commands. Still need to get all the other formations to work. The formation options are based on the Commander's INT(intelligence) stat so a character with high INT will be able to use more formation options. Also depending on which troop type they are currently using it allows a specific formation option regardless of INT value. Example: Assassin units allow you to use the "Ambush" formation.

Camera Movements are done with with WASD and everything else is mouse based. I still want to add a function that allows clicking on the MiniMap to move the camera as well.

Currently the Enemy has no AI and cannot respond and there are no commander skills to be used yet. There has also been a change of colors with Zatsuo(now Brown) and Khaiyan(now Red).

pictionaryjr
Years of Service
User Offline
Really cool and really interesting. I always like watching your threads. You have a really cool art style with your games. Excited to give it a try when the enemy can fight back
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2013 22:38 Edited at: 12th Sep 2013 22:43
@pictionaryjr
Thanks, I'm going for a half-anime style art so it doesn't look too deformed. Looking forward to having people play test this as well.

Updates:
Made improvements on my Portrait making function. It allows me to take a portrait snapshot in various poses and save it ready to be used ingame. It also keeps track of the camera views so I can adjust the camera angles later. So far it's working really well.

Attachments

Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2013 01:29 Edited at: 16th Sep 2013 01:33
Updates:
Navigate using MiniMap
All 10 formation created.

Made corrections to the Formation function, it is more efficiently coded now. This portion is very important because this is pretty much The Game. The formation and tactics used along with the officer's special ability determines the outcome of the battle.

Not all the formations are 100% working. For example, Ambush is suppose to send half the troops to the rear of the enemies.

I still need to adjust the coloring on the troops, that blue is too dark and that yellow really hurts my eye. Fighter run animation hurts the eye too and warrior's greatsword is too big.

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2013 03:14
It looks great.

What do the soldiers do when they are busy fighting and the formation is changed? Do they disperse from melee or do they wait until no enemy is striking them, before getting into formation?

Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
The formation just dictates where the soldiers would try to move to. If they are in range of enemies it becomes a 50% rate that they will ether engage in combat or try moving to the destination. If they are stuck and unable to move because of a clutter then combat becomes 100%.

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2013 03:59
Roger that!

Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2013 22:27 Edited at: 19th Sep 2013 22:28
Have been working a the ability effects. I'm going to take the advice about getting it working first then improve later for this one. I haven't a clue when it comes to effects/particles so I used what I can come up with in blender, at least it's working.

Is it just me or does anyone else feels the forum is loading up much slower recently?

Attachments

Burning Feet Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2013 22:56
Just chiming in here to say that your project looks fantastic. You must be immensely enjoying writing & shooting this game, as it shows.

All the best, great stuff!
BFM

Help build an online DarkBASIC Professional help archive.
DarkBasic Help Wikia
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
@Burning Feet Man
I sure am having a blast! I seriously spend all my free time on this and is all I think about at work too.

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2013 00:21
Quote: "I seriously spend all my free time on this and is all I think about at work too"

That's a good sign.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 11:18:09
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 11:18:09