Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / [X9] PHOBIA 3: Fear of the Unknown

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2013 12:40 Edited at: 28th Nov 2013 12:42
Can someone refresh my memory please ?
Aren't "Reloaded" beta releases available only to backers/pledgers ?

I don't see any badge of this kind on his profile, so why he already has a copy of Reloaded ?

Excuse my grammar errors, I'm French.
ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Can someone refresh my memory please ?
Aren't "Reloaded" beta releases available only to backers/pledgers ?

I don't see any badge of this kind on his profile, so why he already has a copy of Reloaded ?"

Those who pledge have to request that the badge be added to their account. I am a gold pledger myself but I haven't emailed Rick or Lee about it; frankly, I see no real hurry or even a point behind it.

I assure you he has a legit copy.

The Birds - A narrated adventure.
Diablo Chateau
RelMayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2013 14:22
Glad to hear it, apologies to Jonez Games

Excuse my grammar errors, I'm French.
Grip Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2013 03:13
this look freaking good i wanna see more from you man!
Jonez Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2013 14:23
Quote: "Those who pledge have to request that the badge be added to their account. I am a gold pledger myself but I haven't emailed Rick or Lee about it; frankly, I see no real hurry or even a point behind it."

I thought this was the case. I'm a gold pledger too.
Quote: "

Glad to hear it, apologies to Jonez Games"

No problem.

Btw, I have a nice surprise coming. More on that very soon.

“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown”
ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Btw, I have a nice surprise coming. More on that very soon."

Can't wait for it! I'm eagerly anticipating it.

Diablo Chateau
Jonez Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2013 21:15 Edited at: 23rd Dec 2013 21:20
I think it's time to reveal what I've been up to this last month.

I haven't been working on Fear of the Unknown, But I also most certainly haven't been slacking off either:
I was digging on my old test versions of Fear of the Unknown, and came across of one of the most first test games, and also one of the most finished one.
I thought the idea of the game was good enough not to go to waste, and also different enough from Fear of the Unknown to give away for public for everyone to experience.
But the test version wasn't even nearly a finished game, and had many problems, such as missing textures which would have made it pretty much unplayable for some parts.
There also was no way for me to finish the game with the current level files, as the content used for the game had been long since altered for all of the many other different versions of the game.
So I decided to build the game again from scratch. Not only to remake the test version, but to make it an official second game on the Phobia game series.
I have decided to name it Phobia 1.5, to avoid any possible confusion with Fear of the Unknown, which was already announced to be Phobia 2.
But don't let the title 1.5 fool you, Phobia 1.5 IS Phobia 2. I've been making new level plans to be more suitable for the new enemy AI I created, added more levels than planned to the original game,
and made the story more complex and better explained. The game is currently playable from start to finish, but some of the levels are still heavily unfinished.
I still decided to keep mostly the original look, but with some newly added shader effects. Which is why it looks a bit rough compared to Fear of the Unknown.

I can't say when the game will be released yet. But to give you an idea of how close it could be; It could be done in two weeks, if I worked on it full time.

Main menu and the intro are very similar to the first game. But instead of a video, you can read the intro at your own pace.

“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown”
ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2013 05:02 Edited at: 25th Dec 2013 05:02
I stewed over this update for a while and I have some mixed feelings.

Quote: "The game is currently playable from start to finish, but some of the levels are still heavily unfinished.
I still decided to keep mostly the original look, but with some newly added shader effects. Which is why it looks a bit rough compared to Fear of the Unknown."

At first I was in wonderment but then I realized it does indeed look too much like the original. The new screenshots of the ACTUAL Phobia 2 look stellar. These maps (as they stand) do look good on their own but somehow still feel something to be desired.

I watched the video of the early alpha Phobia 2 and THAT mansion had a proper feel. I liked what you were doing there a little more. I would certainly encourage another release and I'd like to give 1.5 a try; the current state leaves me a little set back, however.

Diablo Chateau
Jonez Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2013 21:59 Edited at: 25th Dec 2013 23:28
@ASTECH
The level design for this particular version was never meant to be highly detailed because of the huge map size. The game looks rough, but when actually in game and playing it, everything fits perfectly for the atmosphere and gameplay.

EDIT:
Quote: " The new screenshots of the ACTUAL Phobia 2 look stellar"
Phobia Fear of the Unknown is officially Phobia 3 now. This all only means that you'll get a new Phobia title sooner than intended. So this is only good news.

Quote: "At first I was in wonderment but then I realized it does indeed look too much like the original."

I forgot to mention that 1.5 is based off of a version I worked on a year ago when I started working on the game again. Not related to the very original versions I worked on years ago.

Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2013 06:35 Edited at: 28th Dec 2013 06:35
Its clear that this version is less elaborate than Phobia 3 but it still looks decent and well thought out. Sure! I can see a lot more FPSC'ness going on here and most screenshots are too small and dark to really see whats going on but from what I can tell: Decent work.

http://www.serygalacaffeine.com
"absurdity has become necessity"
Jonez Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2013 16:13
Yes, while it's a lot more simplier compared to Phobia 3, the gameplay is still far from a basic FPS Creator game.

I can't wait to get the game out already for everyone to experience, but I don't want to spoil anything of it either. But one thing I have to say, even I have been getting jump scared by it multiple times while testing, just because how dynamic the enemy encounter can be.

ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Well... I give you props on your game design drive. Because of your previous game and your desire to churn out more... I've decided to rehash an idea I had. I want to get something out that might resemble your work in some fashion, however its more in line with some horror stories and my own nightmares.

So, if you see a game come out that hints at your work... don't be alarmed. The foundations are similar but I believe the take on it is different. I'll be looking out for your game; be sure to keep a look out for my mini project!

Diablo Chateau
Jonez Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2014 17:36
ASTECH@
Sounds interesting. I'm looking forward of seeing in which way it's similar to my games.

ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2014 02:51 Edited at: 9th Jan 2014 17:25
Quote: "Sounds interesting. I'm looking forward of seeing in which way it's similar to my games."

No snow storm but weather IS a factor. I quite enjoy the "home alone" kind of games. That is what makes your previous work such a treat. I love these games and I can't help but imagine other people do too. I'm working this current game on a smaller scale than normal but I believe the effect will be delivered as desired.

EDIT:

By the way, any news on a release date for Phobia 1.5 (or Phobia 2 as it now is)?

Diablo Chateau
Jonez Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2014 15:21
Quote: "No snow storm but weather IS a factor."

Weather is a simple, yet a good excuse to keep the player trapped in somewhere.
Quote: "I quite enjoy the "home alone" kind of games. I love these games and I can't help but imagine other people do too."

Yes, I like the idea being in one location pretty much the whole game, while solving puzzles, unlocking new places to explore, revealing the story and getting to know the place. Like in games like Scratches and Resident Evil 1 for example.

Quote: "By the way, any news on a release date for Phobia 1.5 (or Phobia 2 as it now is)?"

I'm kinda stuck in the last level. It currently just feels dull, and I just can't seem to think for a good way to make it more interesting.

I'm also having some technical issues with the build game. The game keeps randomly closing when loading a next level. I thought this was the case only with some of the levels that had to be loaded twice in the editor due to the memory cap exceeding. But it also happens with some of the levels which I never had any memory problems with before.
Though, these smaller levels seem to load fine most of the time after restarting the game.

This might be because of the light maps updating and rising the memory of the levels every time I made some changes in the levels. I might try and rebuild some of the levels from scratch and see if it makes any difference.

ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "This might be because of the light maps updating and rising the memory of the levels every time I made some changes in the levels. I might try and rebuild some of the levels from scratch and see if it makes any difference."

I was experiencing the same thing on a project of mine. All you can really do at this point is use the Medium Texture settings and lower your lightmap quality to 30 or slightly below.

In my current project I'm using a Beta mod that helps memory use, but I know vanilla FPSC will use less memory doing the above. Sometimes you have to sacrifice quality on a few parts to maintain the best quality overall as a whole. I went from 1500mb to 850mb just going from high textures to medium textures. I think you will see a good gain too.

Diablo Chateau
Burger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2014 23:26
Hey Jonez, this thread might help you with optimisation. If you haven't already, specifically the part about DXT1 and DXT5 textures will be helpful.

Hope this helps,
Burger

- An Instinctive Fear IndieDB page, download the demo today!
thingimibob
Years of Service
User Offline
Phobia was amazing but this looks amazingererereererreereereer!!!!!!!!!$
Can't wait to play it!

Adam

Jonez Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2014 22:27
ASTECH@, Burger@
All right, I took a look at the thread and converted all the music files and most of the sound files from .wav to .ogg, and changed all the textures and some of the huds to DXT1 and DXT5. The build game size dropped all the way from 1,40GB to 310MB without any audio or visual differences.
I managed to play the whole game trough with only a single crash later in the game, which I got past with a second try.

Simple, yet effective tricks. Thanks both of you, these issues really made it feel like I was so close, and yet so far away from finishing the game, but now I feel like it isn't far away from being finished at all.

ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "All right, I took a look at the thread and converted all the music files and most of the sound files from .wav to .ogg, and changed all the textures and some of the huds to DXT1 and DXT5. The build game size dropped all the way from 1,40GB to 310MB without any audio or visual differences"

Glad it worked out for you in that regard. I'm sure you can now load levels easier that were once teetering on the edge of crashing before, as well.

I always go for .ogg when dealing with sound and .png for textures. .PNG seems to be smaller in comparison when dealing with .DDS textures. Now that I know you can compress .DDS even further... this might not be the case anymore and I'm rather curious.

I also have to wonder if you are using cutscenes videos this time around. FPSC will play .wmv files (which are marginally smaller then .AVI files) but the end user needs a codec to do so. Maybe try to convert your videos, if you haven't already, to further save space. You could always throw in the .wmv codec with your distribution or pack it in a multi-installer for your game!

Once again, can't wait to try out your game and I'm glad you've made some progress!

Diablo Chateau
Jonez Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2014 20:06
Quote: "I also have to wonder if you are using cutscenes videos this time around. FPSC will play .wmv files (which are marginally smaller then .AVI files) but the end user needs a codec to do so."

I'm using a .wmv video as a splash screen on the main menu. Rest of the cutscenes and such are a combination of images/huds that you can read through at your own pace.
But shouldn't the .wmv codec be already included with Windows as part of Windows Media Player?

ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "But shouldn't the .wmv codec be already included with Windows as part of Windows Media Player?"

It SHOULD but its not always. This depends if the user has set up Media player or not. I've tested game on friend's computers and also have checked with Let's Players. Sometimes people just don't have it installed because Media Player was never launched to begin with.

Diablo Chateau
Jonez Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2014 18:10
ASTECH@
I don't think I need to worry about it too much, as the video is just a quick splash screen anyway. As long as it doesn't crash the game or anything.

Jonez Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2014 00:06
With the game just around the corner; here's a teaser screenshot:

Jonez Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2014 01:47
Okay, Phobia 1.5 is now finally finished. Now I just need to make a trailer and such for the release.

ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
YES!!! I cannot wait to play it! Hopefully it will be up by time I get off of work in the morning!

Diablo Chateau
Jonez Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2014 13:38
Phobia 1.5 is now released! See the showcase thread for info and a download link:http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=209611&b=35

Jonez Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2014 00:49
A few screens to let people know that I'm back working on this game:

You might notice that the scenery has been changed. This is because of the game was originally still using the same plot as Phobia 1.5.

The game is still heavily work in progress, and these screenshots are from scene and asset tests. This is not part of the games final level design.

Full size: http://imageshack.com/a/img577/4223/zawq.png

Full size: http://imageshack.com/a/img547/5671/o381.png

Full size: http://imageshack.com/a/img546/3277/hjch.png

Full size: http://imageshack.com/a/img31/6408/eclg.png

Full size: http://imageshack.com/a/img836/1360/vwku.png

Full size: http://imageshack.com/a/img691/7330/k4eu.png

Full size: http://imageshack.com/a/img585/2660/0nzh.png

michael x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2014 07:04
awesome work so creepy.

more than what meets the eye

Welcome to SciFi Summer
Jonez Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2014 20:28
@michael x
Thanks!

Having outside areas with see through windows gives a great atmosphere and a lot of opportunities for scary scenes.

ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Amazing work. Absolutely stunning! I myself cannot be bothered using the wall shaders as they currently are... but you, you have tweaked it I assume? The wall shader looks much better than what it should be.

I cannot wait to get my hands on this game either! I would even go as far as to pay for it! You should look for a Desura release and perhaps maybe even Steam. You've got enough of a backing now from Let's Players that it wouldn't be out of the question.

Diablo Chateau
Jonez Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2014 23:57
@ASTECH
Yes, the shaders has gone through a lot of tweaking through the times. They definitely didn't look half as good some months ago, and I might even show some screens from the older test builds of the game all the way from the one I made Phobia 1.5 of.

The success of Phobia 1.5 will definitely help if I decide to sell this game. But we'll have to see how it turns out first.
If I did; it would be cheap.

gcraftr
Years of Service
User Offline
Those screenshots are pretty intense and I love the outdoor shots! Keep up the awesome work!
ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
So how is the new game coming along? I'm eager to hear how you are doing with this one!

Diablo Chateau
Jonez Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2014 18:02 Edited at: 1st Apr 2014 18:04
@ASTECH
I have yet to get the story figured out enough to start actual level designing and planning, so I have mostly been working on some gameplay related stuff. Like making a new footstep system, similar but improved from Phobia 1.5. It works pretty much like the default system in FPSC with random sound pick and different footstep sounds for different materials. But like in Phobia 1.5, there's separate footstep sounds when running and separate footstep sounds for enemies. I have also been working on a better AI for enemies, this time it will keep up with you without getting stuck.

I already have a basic setting and have/have been working on assets to fit it, which is pretty much all I can do until I get the story somewhat together, which I don't know how long it could take.

da2020
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2014 16:36
Those screens are eye-candy, the sharp textures really makes it pop.
ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I already have a basic setting and have/have been working on assets to fit it, which is pretty much all I can do until I get the story somewhat together, which I don't know how long it could take."

I understand where you are coming from. Sometimes a game can go from "good" to "great" just by story alone. Take your time because I sure as day have for my project. Get the story together and don't force anything. Forcing anything at this point would probably ruin something later down the line.

Thanks for the update.

Diablo Chateau

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 11:47:23
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 11:47:23