Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / [Tier 1] Eat Drink Slay, PC Alpha download

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2013 18:42 Edited at: 18th Nov 2013 18:44

Finally at a point where it's something we can show to people.

Download is about 26mb. Controls are shown when starting the game, but:

Cursor keys: Turn left and right and move forward and back
Z: Sidestep left
X: Sidestep right
C: Use item/weapon
V: Light/Out candle
B: Grab/Drop candle
Spc: Take items
M: Map
I: Inventory
F1: Help
1-3: Weapon slot

Click the status bars at the top left to pause and spend XP points, yellow XP bar flashes when you have points to spend.

Just drag items around with the inventory, bows use the first arrows in the inventory, so decide what arrows to use by putting them in order. Drag food and drink onto the mouth to eat or drink it all. Drag an item onto the eyes to see if I've bothered to add a description for the item. Drag an item outside of the inventory to discard it. To use a key, just equip it and walk into the door that it unlocks, no need to use the keys.

Remember to read that user guide, get it from the inventory and press C to read it.

Game will save when you exit a dungeon or the shop, there will be crahes, but at least your character progress will be saved when you escape.

I am the one who knocks...

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2013 21:05
Cool thanks for getting me to waste the past 15 minutes
Very nice I like the destructible items and I like that when you eat stuff it looks like you've chewed it up. Very cool work!

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2013 10:45
I vote this post needs a screenshot. Downloading regardless ...
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2013 10:53 Edited at: 19th Nov 2013 11:11
Two things. I went straight to the shop and talked to the weapons guy. I noticed you still do the attack animation when you start talking. Maybe not do that animation if you're going to talk? Then I went to the shrouded assassin type guy and got a "Image 234 does not exist at line 973 in screen_shop.agc"

Continuing regardless!

Edit: It crashes every time I do this. I have chosen the Warrior Valkyrie if that makes a difference.

Edit2: Ok, it doesn't happen every time. Also on several of the characters the shop screen flashes up then vanishes straight away and it takes two attempts to access it.

Edit3: Then I went into the dungeon, killed one dude, found a bubbly lift type thing? Stood on it and it crashed again. I'll try one more time!

Edit4: Just entered the dungeon (my character was saved this time despite the crash). Some text flashed up but I didn't have time to read it. A few more seconds would be good.

Edit5: Managed one level without crashing, went back to the shop, bought a new sword and it crashed. Suspect it needs some work with reliability!
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2013 11:31
Thanks Naphier, the food is such a pain, so awkward, each different version of a food item is a separate thing, so you could discard your bread crusts etc - for a while there I considered just making it an animation, and allowing them to be stacked etc, but I think the extra work is worth it.

Fallout, Bubbly lifts should only be on the shop level, in the dungeons it should just be a trap door - was the bubbly lift in an actual dungeon? (I hope not!)

The mission text can be checked again by pausing then un-pausing - but I will give it more time, I tend to forget what the mission is even when I have read it.

There are some annoying bugs, but we aren't 100% sure which are caused by us, and which are caused by AppGameKit, Cliff is much better at fixing the bugs than me, plan is that he'll look at bugs while I add levels and stuff. The ones that you've pointed out though I'll see if I can fix, thanks for the feedback - we will be releasing updates as we fix bugs.

If you want to have a little fun.... press the [`] key to start the console command, then see what you can give yourself...

GIVE=Jar of Bees
GIVE=Not want peas
GIVE=The Pit and the Pendulum
GIVE=Nunchucks
GIVE=Lighter
GIVE=Shears
GIVE=Bubbles
GIVE=Precious Ring
GIVE=Jellybean,64

Some of the more interesting items and weapons - my favorite weapon is the shears - vicious little things in the right hands .

There is a lightsabre as well, it's about the best weapon, but I'm not sure what I called it - Light sword or something. Items will be restricted by XP level later.

Screenshots will be added tonight, maybe a video as well. There are still some problems with the Android version, some discrepancies between it and the PC version, but there should be an Android demo pretty soon.

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2013 12:14
haha. Ok, I may have a play with those haxorz later. I think it has potential to be a nice pick up and play dungeon crawler. The bubbly lift was in the shop, so yes, no problem there.

Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2013 17:07 Edited at: 19th Nov 2013 17:07
I tested the latest alpha
You have added so many things that I probably nead along time to bug test it

There seams to be issues with pickups and the culling system?

But I will wait for the source code and go thru it while you make some new maps

The new stuff looks great .

Android 2.3 , ZTE Skate , 480x800 , 800 mhz , Samsung Galaxy Y , 240x320 , 832 mhz , Sony ericson arc 480x854 , 1 ghz
Android 4.0 , Dmtech 3g 9738B , 1024x768 , 9.7 inches , 1.2 ghz
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2013 12:18
Van could you send me the latest files ?

And if anyone wants to see the main thread so is it here.
But we will start its own threads for various beta demos to have a clean dev phase.
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=205487&b=48

Android 2.3 , ZTE Skate , 480x800 , 800 mhz , Samsung Galaxy Y , 240x320 , 832 mhz , Sony ericson arc 480x854 , 1 ghz
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2013 22:02 Edited at: 20th Nov 2013 23:43
Ok I have started to go thru all the changes to the game engine and will try to upload an more reliable game exe while I do so.
I will start with the things fallout found in the last code that I also received today.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Two things. I went straight to the shop and talked to the weapons guy. I noticed you still do the attack animation when you start talking. Maybe not do that animation if you're going to talk? Then I went to the shrouded assassin type guy and got a "Image 234 does not exist at line 973 in screen_shop.agc"

Continuing regardless!
cliff -----------------------------------
I think this is an script error where it tryes to load an image that simply dosent exist?
Sometimes when the script reader reads the scripts for assigned images so does it fail.
-----------------------------------------
Edit: It crashes every time I do this. I have chosen the Warrior Valkyrie if that makes a difference.
I belive this is an media cleanup error that makes agk crash.
Simply that not all media have bin deleted and agk tryes to load an image etc with that id.
Edit2: Ok, it doesn't happen every time. Also on several of the characters the shop screen flashes up then vanishes straight away and it takes two attempts to access it.

Edit3: Then I went into the dungeon, killed one dude, found a bubbly lift type thing? Stood on it and it crashed again. I'll try one more time!

Edit4: Just entered the dungeon (my character was saved this time despite the crash). Some text flashed up but I didn't have time to read it. A few more seconds would be good.

Seams to be added mission goals for the dungeon van added and surely neads to be displayed a bit longer or reappear at some point.
Van have added so many small things that its hard to see all of them at once

Edit5: Managed one level without crashing, went back to the shop, bought a new sword and it crashed. Suspect it needs some work with reliability!
I can only say that the project have had these issues appear time after time with this project?
Usually solved by trying to cut down of the use of some commands in agk and that's weird.

I have downloaded the latest agk beta 19 to see if it solves some of the issues?
Many times have we found it to be core agk bugs that neads to be worked around.

And many times also simple mistakes by van or me when going thru the engine

Some of the bugs I found are these.
pickup icons flash sometimes.
pickups have very low gravity and seams to float in the air.

back to brush up my agk skills again as I haven't used agk for the past 3 months.

Edit.................
Does anyone now if the issues with types assigned to other types have bin solved in agk?

type fire
atk
dmg
endtype

type player
fire as fire
endtype

I noticed this in the new code and nead some help with this issue?

Edited...............
After huge problems to get agk to work again after the large win 7 update 2 weeks ago.
Where the old corrupted config files for codeblocks again
So have I started to go thru the bugs.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2013 21:42
Being short on time I will wait for a version that doesn't crash so often before I try this. This is one of the most interesting AppGameKit projects so looking forward to testing it.

Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2013 23:25
Quote: " I will wait for a version that doesn't crash so often before I try this."

I will try to upload an more reliable version by sunday.
It takes some time as van have added so many small and large things to the engine that I nead to go thru.
I have already found a large amount of the crash bugs that where pretty plain with some text id don't exist if agk misses something in the loop.
I have found agk to be more reliable if you do an check if an text,image or object exist before doing something to them in agk.
Van is a better coder then me but I have an eye to spot bugs better
It where I that told him to upload it before I checked it so its my fault
Iam the bug hunter in the team.

Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2013 23:50
Here is a quick update on the progress of the bug fixing.
As soon as I find one of the crash bugs so should I be able to release an new demo.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2013 09:11
Great stuff Cliff, looking forward to trying the new version.

Did you ever find that trapdoor key?

Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2013 21:58 Edited at: 28th Nov 2013 23:39
Quote: "Did you ever find that trapdoor key?"

I never picked it up
It works as it should and the weird bug when dropping items is simply that free inventory slot is not searching the 3 quick selection slots for weapons
And because of this when the other slots are full so cant you pick stuff up as it detects the inventory as full.
I will try to not forget to fix this before the next demo.

Here is a small list on some of the bug fixes that have bin done so far.

Replaced a lot of calls for types inside types that seam to throw away crashes sometimes.( Player.Prop.BurnFx )
Both enemies and player used a lot of these in there files.

Fixed the lighting bug on items that also are an light source that should light up areas around them.
The bug where that you had to fire an fire staff or such item in an area before the area whas affected,the bug whas in that the shaders whasent switched as they should after the added weapon properties.

There whas a lot of not neaded delete text and sprite objects at runtime that gives random app crashes on dungeon exit when using delete all sprites or text command.

Projectile weapons now destroys breakable doors and objects.

When starting to talk to shoop keepers so is the weapon not activated anymore.

Some new objects where not deleted on dungeon exit.

Some arrays whas not undimed on dungeon exit.

In some places so did some of the new characters try to animate even if an image whasent assigned.

And a lot of small stuff I cant remember right now

I will try to get it done as soon as possible and send you the fixed source.

Also does the game seam slower and nead to optimize it after all the cool stuff you added

Edited......
Also noticed that my very old culling system using sprites used manual ids and have switched it to fully use automated ids now.
Seams to make the crashes even more rare now.
I also forget to fix my old mistakes when working on some new fun stuff

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2013 04:21 Edited at: 29th Nov 2013 04:24
Even though I encountered many bugs, I loved playing this alpha. Gave it a few playthroughs tonight, wanted to share a few things I've encountered.

1) My character is never saved. When I hit escape it brings me back to the root menu, wish there was a "our you sure" pop-up. No matter how many times I've played, it did not save my character once.

2) While playing one playthrough, I got this weird map graphics bug:

It got worse as I explored more of the dungeon, until finally I could not see where I was or if there was any other enemies on the map:

3) I got stuck in a indent with water. No way to get out..I tried for about 5 mins, walking along the edge going around both ways, trying different things. Stuck.

4) Last playthrough I hit escape, was brought to the opening title. I clicked it, it started flashing black then this screen came up. No idea what it is. Got an error, then it crashed right after.

5) I couldn't get any shops to work. After using a shop it screwed up my gui. I couldn't see my inventory, my hp, mana, or food/water levels. Everything was alpha'd out.

6) I had to spam the spacebar to pickup items. Just standing over them and hitting it once wouldn't do it. Sometimes I had to move back and forth over the item while spamming the spacebar. lol

Anyway, loving the progress and the nostalgia I get from playing this game! Can't wait to see more! Beautiful pixel work and awesome coding!

Inmortalis Nox
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2013 13:08
Thanks Josh, I think a lot of these issues will be solved by Cliff's bug hunt, hang in there and see how it is with the next update.
Characters should be saved when leaving the shop or a dungeon, so it kinda compartmentalizes the gameplay, but we will add a break when exiting the game. I don't think we can add mid-dungeon saves, it would be open to too many glitches with that. For me, I kinda like the way it handles saves, because it means the dungeon your currently in only exists in the devices memory... I think that makes it more desperate, like you have to get out, or you'll loose your new gear, money, xp - it kinda adds to the tension I think, I always breathe a sigh of relief when I get to the shop.

Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2013 16:44 Edited at: 29th Nov 2013 16:48
Hi and thanks josh

2 )......
Most of the problems did you have when playing the mage with the fire wand ?

Because I found an weird bug there that affected the picking up objects and other weird behaviour on the map etc.

I don't know why but I think van forgot to simply rem out something while writing the weapon properties and fire fx for the fire wand.
As I found a funy line inside it that made the particles to be assigned random item id.
This at least made the pickup icons flash and made it hard to pick things up.

3 )....
This whas a new map that van made while testing and we don't have a jumping command that I had in mind to talk van in to adding
The game is still pretty early and neads a lot of polish.
I only wish van and I could put more time on it that we really nead.
But who knows now when iam soon unemployed and out of work?
But then could money start to be an issue?
4 )...
Iam going to fix so you cant click menue buttons when the title is displaying
You have simply pressed the editor key in the background.
and I know van wrote that something had happened to the editor when he added the new stuff?

5 )...
That sound like one of the sprite bugs I already have solved?
6 )...
read my answer to note 4

Its a bit my fault as I have spoiled van with solving the bugs when he add new things
He gets in to some kind of candy rush and add huge amounts of stuff in an short time ,I don't mind as I usually can solve the bugs and the stuff he adds is pretty cool.
The game would not be as cool as it already is without his candy rushes from time to time
Iam the boring one that wants to take it slow and go thru things many times.
And I have bin away from the project for 3 months because of my personal problems with getting unemployed .
So its great that van continoud to work while I whas away.

I could add a current version if anyone wants to find new bugs then the ones I already have solved.

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2013 23:08
I finaly got around to playing this and I really like it so far. There are some issues that I have found but overall it feels like a really solid game.

The first issue I encountered was when I went into the shop and got stuck in a tiny level. There was only one room that I could get to after exiting the shop. There were 2 other doors but one wouldnt open and one said I needed some sort of heart which I couldnt find (allthough I may verry well have missed something). The one enemy that I could find in that room dropped something which I was unable to pick up.

After that, I started a new character and played for a while. After a while though, I opned the tutorial book but were unable to find a way to close it which again, may have been me being stupid.

My third playthrough was as an archer and it seemed to work pretty well. The only bug I could find was that my crossbow was merley a brown plane and did not have a texture. I also had the issue of the escape button instantly returning you to the menu.

The controlls also felt a bit mixed with some controlls obviously made for mobile and some obviously made for a keyboard (weapon swapping can not be done with the keyboard)

One more thing is that the music in the main menu is pretty awesome and I was a bit suprised when there was no music during gameplay. Other than that it seems like a very solid game which I could see myself spendning a lot of time in.

Say ONE stupid thing and it ends up as a forum signature forever. - Neuro Fuzzy
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2013 14:42
Quote: "Most of the problems did you have when playing the mage with the fire wand ?"

Yes! I always play the mage in these types of games.

I'm sad to hear that the levels are pre-built. I was hoping for some random level generation, with various sizes. Unless this is the plan for a later version?

This game reminds me allot of Slayer for the 3DO. Except better animations and more polish.

I know crowdsourcing is a little oversaturated with more odd than decent projects. But I believe this project could get allot of interest and backing, sine you're worrying about funds. Once I was able to finally get my game to save, even after all the numerous bugs and crashes, I still found myself playing all night last night. And I'm a very picky gamer these days. If a game doesn't hold my interest long enough I don't bother, don't have the time to spare, lol. This game does!

Can't wait for the update. My mage is currently sporting rainbow gloves, a bubble coat, furry boots and ninja mask. Waiting on some pants to compliment the look.

Inmortalis Nox
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2013 16:14
Zoq,
Thanks for playing.
The door in the shop level is opened with a dungeon heart, which we plan to have spawn in each dungeon, then that door will lead to some free loot, it's not in place yet.
The books can be closed by clicking the backdrop around the book, still some work to do on books.
Music will be added, just need to find some cool atmospheric music.
The 3 weapon slots can be selected using 123 on the top row.

Josh,
Cheers, good to know I'm not the only one who gets sucked in
The levels are pre-designed, I'm not sure if we'll make a generator, although given the level design task it's probably a good idea!. I think for now we'll be designing levels, I'd worry that we couldn't make a generator that makes levels that feel unique. It does change things up though. Different enemies, different keys scattered about, items are randomized as much as possible. The level texture is random too, and the map is randomly flipped horizontally and vertically. Also, the lava pits replace some walls, which can really change the layout of a level. So we are trying to keep things fresh, I'm sure when we have another 80 levels (sob) each game will feel different.
The water trap is my fault, I broke the level editor so couldn't fix it - hopefully Cliff has gotten to the bottom of it now though. I think we'll just have the collision adjust for when in water, so we can still have water traps, but let the player climb out.
Your mage sounds awesome - I will be making full armour sets at some point.

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2013 16:49 Edited at: 30th Nov 2013 16:51
Pre-built maps wouldn't be too bad, I like how they are changed up a bit with random walls and traps. Could be fun to see how fast you can eventually replay levels. Speed runs are always fun. Goes in line with the old-school gameplay. I remember being able to beat Mario Bros. in less than 5m. Quake 1 in 20 mins, lol.

Looking forward to armor sets! Will you have booster stats if you have a complete set?

One last thing I noticed while playing today, not sure if I'm reading items stats correctly or not. I have equipped a ninja mask and pants that both give me +2 to curse. I use a wand that has +2 curse dmg. When I fight any enemy I only do 2-3 dmg. If I unequipped the mask and pants I still do the same damage with the wand. Not sure if I'm suppose to gain attack or defense with the gear. It's not too clear on the item description.

Oh, and am I suppose to be damaged when talking to the shop owners? Every time I talk to them my hp is reduced to half. Weird.

Inmortalis Nox
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2013 21:35
Quote: "Oh, and am I suppose to be damaged when talking to the shop owners? Every time I talk to them my hp is reduced to half. Weird."

Its fixed now
Quote: " I broke the level editor so couldn't fix it - hopefully Cliff has gotten to the bottom of it now though."

Fixed as it where the added mirror fx of the levels where you had forgotten to change the coords assigning values to the arrays in the loader

Quote: "My third playthrough was as an archer and it seemed to work pretty well. The only bug I could find was that my crossbow was merley a brown plane and did not have a texture. I also had the issue of the escape button instantly returning you to the menu."

This should have bin fixed now as I found the weird random item id bug.
Quote: "One more thing is that the music in the main menu is pretty awesome and I was a bit suprised when there was no music during gameplay. Other than that it seems like a very solid game which I could see myself spendning a lot of time in."

Its the same musican I bought my music for super b boy from
http://www.playonloop.com/

29 games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2013 00:47
I had a quick go on this, I only played one dungeon, and I really liked it.

I got a bit confused trying to find the exit. I ended up having to go into what I thought was a pit (I actually thought it was a trap to be avoided). Maybe the exit needs to be marked on the map or maybe have a sign that just says "exit" in big red letters.

When I finished the dungeon I ended up in a shop / tavern. It took me a little while to realise that the people were friendly. Maybe they could be marked differently on the map.

The controls worked really well. I like the way it doesn't require a proper mouse, just keyboard and track pad. It'll make it easier to play sitting on the sofa or on the train.

The graphics were really good, very atmospheric without being serious.

I like the way the movement slows down as the character gets hungry. It took me a little while to figure out what was going on but I think it was a nice touch.

I have to admit, I played it with the sound off as I was in the library at the time so I can't comment on that.

Anyway, I have a bit more of a play. Keep up the good work.

one of these days I'll come up with a better signature
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2013 09:34 Edited at: 7th Dec 2013 09:45
Thanks for your input
All of the things you mention have I actually fixed to be better.

The only thing that stops me from releasing a new better demo is 2 bugs.

Sometimes does the items get weirdly messed up and change images constantly?

a crash bug that seam random when you have played for a while?

Iam starting to think that something also have changed since beta 17 to 19 that affects how the game works ?

But no problem as iam using a programming language in beta stages so that's my own fault

The thing that makes it a bit harder is that I whas away from the project for almost 3 months and are starting to get in to the bits van have added during this time.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2013 13:09
Thanks 29

The map shouldn't really show enemies, that's for debugging - but there might be a special item to reveal enemies location. The exit is marked on the map once you find it - it's just a box on the ground, if the exit is closed it has a little cross on it. There is a special item (a Canary), that will react when you point in the direction of the exit... also I can't remember if I tested this, but when you smash a crate, spiders might spawn from it (little harmless ones), they will generally head towards the exit, giving the player a clue if they keep watching them. The map is a bit of a pain to add new gfx to, it uses 256 frames and every one is used up!

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2013 17:28
Quote: "The map shouldn't really show enemies, that's for debugging"

Lol, it always shows enemies for me!

Quote: "but when you smash a crate, spiders might spawn from it (little harmless ones), they will generally head towards the exit"

Just loaded up the game once more to check this...musta smashed 100 crates...no spiders I love the idea though.

Shadow of the Ramen is Coming!!
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2013 18:22
Yeah, the enemies still show, and there will probably be items that make them show up, it'll be part of the balancing act :/

If you want to check to see if spiders should show, you could give yourself a jar of them...

Tap ` then type...
GIVE=Jar Of Spiders

The using that will release 9 spiders at a time I think.

Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2013 23:39 Edited at: 8th Dec 2013 23:41
ALPHA 1C RELEASE!

A little preview of wath I have fixed so far.
The best part is that I seam to have solved the crash bugs?
So please report wath you find.
Iam still working on it and it have flaws and bugs.

The next update will be posted in the original thread so its not closed

Attachments

Login to view attachments
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2013 02:24
Yessss! Playing now!

Rich Dersheimer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2013 05:15 Edited at: 9th Dec 2013 05:59
Downloading now!

Looking good!

Erm, still got stuck in the "water pit" though, no way to jump out of it?

Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2013 19:31 Edited at: 9th Dec 2013 19:32
Quote: "Erm, still got stuck in the "water pit" though, no way to jump out of it?"

Crapp I knew I missed something
At the top of the list for today.
But it will be more of an auto jump if you are in wather or lava pits and get to the edge of them.
Would be to many on screen buttons on an small screen with also an jump button.

Quote: "Yessss! Playing now!"

Thanks josh
The editor should work now and is highly adapted for small phone screens to be easy to use on them.
Let me know if you get any crashes now.

I will try to upload another fix as soon as I have added some more stuff.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2013 20:08
Seems a lot more stable, nice one Cliff - was able to play a good half-dozen dungeons and use the shop without a single crash.

Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2013 20:57 Edited at: 9th Dec 2013 21:01
Quote: "Seems a lot more stable, nice one Cliff - was able to play a good half-dozen dungeons and use the shop without a single crash."

Awesome van
Give me this week so will I send the source so you can add the treasure chest for the shop, where the players can store there stuff for use with other characters and share with friends.

It have bin an painfull path to get it this stable and seams to be how I solved the ides shortcomings that whas a part of it.

But I know now how to fix it and still be easy and readable for us.

When we are nearer an release so can we optimize it even more.

My version also have a lot of fixes so the player don't notice when the framerate dropps sometimes or runs at constant 30 that many agk apps do on android and ios.

Rewrote large parts with the enemy excluder in some loops to still animate so its not so choppy if the framerate changes etc.

Back to hack the code

The editor works in this version so you can do some maps or even dungeon textures while you wait.

Or think of an cool logo screen to display the agk logo and our names in an cool pixelated fashion.
Maybe use the cool memblock fx somehow?
Or some cool amiga and Atari retro demo fx
Suprise me

Maybe you could even think of some kind of short story and intro where you tell an small story with sprites?

Think of the old eye of the beholder games for Atari/amiga or even some old rpgs on the megadrive.

I suggest youtube and the retro game pages for some inspiration

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2013 20:59
Cool, will see what I can come up with

Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2013 23:09
I noticed that test map in the editor is broken and crashes sometime and items gets scrambled sometimes in test mode.
Only an heads up as iam working on it.

Rich Dersheimer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2013 23:42
This is fun, but I have a suggestion...

Or really a question and a suggestion...

What do the A and B control schemes do? I wasn't able to notice any difference.

My suggestion is to let the user be able to change the key assignments. I prefer the wasd keys for movement, with q and e for strafing. Others might like the numeric keypad, etc. Just a thought.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2013 09:15
There's a few options for controls on tablets, A and B button layouts and virtual thumbsticks - but the key's aren't changed. The keys are actually read from a ini file, so if you felt a bit hackery, you could probably find the key layout and change the keycodes to suit yourself. The plan is to have an old school redefine keys option. We will support joypads as well at some point.

Cliff, no worries, I'll steer clear of any code changes, will concentrate on media and fixing item bugs in the script files.

Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2013 18:55 Edited at: 10th Dec 2013 19:00
Quote: "This is fun, but I have a suggestion..."

Thanks rich
Quote: "My suggestion is to let the user be able to change the key assignments. I prefer the wasd keys for movement, with q and e for strafing. Others might like the numeric keypad, etc. Just a thought."

As van writes so is there a file called control_keys.sks where you can re assign the keys in the media folder.
we have simply not made the keymapping ingame in this state

I have made the auto jump now and its still limted to make it not to easy.

you can only jump out of lava and wather pits if they are not to deep as van and I have planned levels where there will be parts where you can fall in to death traps etc.

And you can only jump out of them if you move in to the edge in an forward motion,only because you cant jumpo backwards in real life to good.

I will put up an small update with various fixes on Friday.

So if anyone have specific things they want fixed for this to not stop you from playing and enjoying the game.

Let me know

edit.....
Maybe we should start thinking about getting funds in finishing this game somehow van?

Donations or kickstarter?
I know you can make an donation button with paypal a simple way?
I don't know wath you think?

It would be fun with some kind of shared funding where we could contribute in funding future agk updates somehow also?

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2013 14:06
If I were you I'd do a kickstarter. If I were me I'd back it

oct(31) = dec(25)
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2013 14:37
If it makes life easier for you Cliff, then go right ahead and look into that stuff - Personally I'm not a massive fan of cloud funding but if needs must. There is a lot we could offer in terms of items - like pledge X amount and get your own sword in the game, pledge X amount and get a pixelated version of yourself as a hero... that sort of thing. T-shirts, mugs etc with some enemies would be really cool - heck if I spotted someone wearing an EDS t-shirt my head just might explode at that point!

There's also the option of pre-sales, but that can be a pain with so many deployment platforms.

I'll leave it up to you to look into this stuff, you'll look at it with an open mind while I'd probably just pick holes in it. Whatever works for you is fine by me.

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2013 15:57
Backed!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 16:36:45
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 16:36:45