Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Play Sprite Animation while loading my game?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2014 21:39
The code below works for a basic sprite with no animatio. However, when I setup an animated sprite from my sprite sheet (a looping circle with 12 frames) I cannot get it to play the animation. It just shows frame #1. I tested outside of the loading process and it works fine.

Please tell me how to play animated sprites while loading?

Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2014 01:06
It won't work because it's single threaded.
You might be able to play an animation while loading things, but I wonder if the whole animation system isn't broken in DarkGDK (never really used it myself but I recall hearing something like that).
The other thing to do would be splitting your loading so that each disk access is fast enough that you can load x amount of data, then update the sprite one frame, load some more data and so on.

"Why do programmers get Halloween and Christmas mixed up?"
aviles22
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2014 02:06
Thank You Rudolpho. I actually went crazy with the broken animation system until I Googled and found a fix to get it back working. It was something that wasn't updated and should have been but the fix is as follows:

I'm love DarkGDK and DarkGDK.net but it seems support and TGC is leaving it behind and focusing more on AppGameKit and FPS Reloaded. I wish they'd also be more specific to their products for sale not being supported anymore. Example: I purchased Blitzwerks only to find out it doesn't work in DarkGDK.net. Another example is the old FPS Creator had the capability to export your map to a DBO and bring it into DarkGDK. That was awesome and brilliant but again, GONE! They gave up on it to focus more on people with no programming experience!
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2014 18:02
Use a video file, or an animated gif as your animation. Both will work fine as I've used that method in the past.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 07:46:51
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 07:46:51