Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Will FPSC Limits still apply within DGDK?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey Guys,

As of late I have been working with the FPSC, but I also have the Dark Basic Pro bundles and Dark GDK and I know that you can use the FPSC to make your games in GDK.

My questions are, using the FPSC to design your levels and importing them into GDK, would the FPSC still have its usual limitations? For example would it still have its 2GB Memory Limit? Would it be possible to make an open world game using FPSC level design?

I just simply find that the FPSC on it's own has limitations which may not suit me and I am wondering if perhaps using the Dark GDK would it give me the ability to remove such limitations.

Thank you and best regards
Shephard
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2014 20:34
I don't know exactly what limitations you are referring to, but the 2GB limit is imposed on any 32-bit application, and since both GDK and DBPro are 32-bit, well... you'll be stuck with that one at least.

"Why do programmers get Halloween and Christmas mixed up?"
Shephard
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Rudolpho,

Thank you so much for your reply. That definitely answers my 2GB memory limit question without a doubt.

In relation to my question in regards to open world, the FPSC on it's own I believe is simply a level by level design and cannot be used to make an open world that allows the player to freely explore at their own will. What I was wondering however is, if it would be possible to make such an open world in Dark GDK using levels designed in the FPSC Engine?

Shephard
Mr Bigglesworth
Years of Service
User Offline
If you create a memory management system with darkgdk you won't have very many issues with the 2gb limit.
Shephard
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Mr Bigglesworth,

Thank you for your reply. That is definitely most interesting. I am however very much a beginner when it comes to this. Would you have any advice on how I would be able to create such a Management System?

Shephard
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2014 17:52
Quote: "FPSC on it's own I believe is simply a level by level design and cannot be used to make an open world that allows the player to freely explore at their own will."

You could, but you'd need a way to hide the level loading.

For example, you could create an open world out of 9 fpsc maps like so

Map01, Map02, Map03
Map04, Map05, Map06
Map07, Map08, Map09

You'd design some sort barrier, or corridor like in FPS games where you could pause to load the appropriate new map in.

Do you remember Tony Hawks American wasteland? It was an open world skating game, which used short corridors to hide the loading of the next section to give the illusion of a much larger open world.

It may not be ideal, but it'll allow you to create a massive open world using only FPSC.

Shephard
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Mobiius,

Thank you for the information. Though I am not familiar with that one Tony Hawks game, I am quite familiar with what you mean. By doing this, would it allows the player to go backwards and forwards between the maps as they see fit?

If it was a case that it would allow the player to do this, I would have no problem with using such an idea.

Shephard
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2014 12:21
Quote: " By doing this, would it allows the player to go backwards and forwards between the maps as they see fit?"

Yes. Just setup a trigger that when the reach it, it loads the new level. When they backtrack in the new level, the trigger will load the old level.

Think of it like the old resident evil games, but actual 3d.

Shephard
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Mobiius,

Thank you so much for answering my questions. I am guessing that I could use the same trigger effect to set two different areas in one map to load? For example, if I am on map 1, I could make two separate triggers, one for map 2 and one for map 3 on the same map allowing the player to branch to two different areas off the one map.

Thank you again for answering my questions so far. It is very much appreciated.

Shephard
Shephard
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Mobiius,

I forgot to ask. I have been trying an number of things to try and get such a trigger to work but have had no luck so far. I was wondering if you could tell me what is actually required to be done in order for it to work?

Shephard
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2014 20:34
I'm sorry, but I've never used FPSC so couldn't tell you how to set these triggers up. Perhaps asking on the FPSC board will yield better results?

Shephard
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Mobiius,

That is no problem at all. I will ask on the FPSC Board in relation to setting up the triggers.

Thank you for all your help, it has been very much helpful and it is very much appreciated.

Shephard

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 14:51:38
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 14:51:38