Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2016 15:42
Nice work; I will try out the beta as soon as poss.
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2016 20:54 Edited at: 26th Feb 2016 20:54
Looking really cool!

Observations:

Startfield during title menu looks odd, but cool, so maybe it is the effect you were going for. In a regular simulated star-field, the stars move faster the closer they get rather than at a constant speed.
On the level selection screen, also make the planet clickable to select the level. It's not immediately obvious that you need to click Select in the corner.
When accelerating and moving left at the same time, I couldn't jump.
The levels soon become insanely difficult (this could be a good thing!)

Great to see progress on this! Keep it going!
V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign
CodeMonkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2016 12:02 Edited at: 27th Feb 2016 12:05
Quote: "Looking really cool!"

Thanks for that!

Quote: "Startfield during title menu looks odd, but cool, so maybe it is the effect you were going for."

I agree. I plan on making it more organic looking in the Main Menu and distributing the stars better in the World Select Menu to make it look more balanced.

Quote: "On the level selection screen, also make the planet clickable to select the level."

I'm changing this for the next demo!

Quote: "When accelerating and moving left at the same time, I couldn't jump."

This is an odd bug. It's been persistent since the Alpha demos. It only happens on some machines so I must have forgotten about it. I'll make sure to fix it for the next demo.

Quote: "The levels soon become insanely difficult (this could be a good thing!) "

The levels in the demo do have quite a big learning curve. I'll have a more forgiving pace in the final game. But I don't want an easy game
Jack
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2016 12:14

After you finish the level, you go into a green tube that fills nearly the whole screen. That can be useful.
I imagine, that it would be possible to keep the velocity from, for example, level 1, go into the green finish tube and you
start level 2 by going out of the green tube with the same velocity as in the previous level. With a little game design theory, nobody will ever
notice, that you changed the levels. Iam so happy to see this in beta

[/url]
Paronamixxe
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2016 14:46
Fun demo, I seem to fall through the platforms sometimes however - especially if I bump into a piece on the side.

Nice to see this moving forward!
cheers
CodeMonkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2016 11:25
@Jack: Thanks! I'll work on the level transition before release.

@Paronamixxe: I'll make sure to fix this for the next demo. Are you falling through the ground or just going through the blocks sideways?

All downloads and feedback is highly appreciated
CodeMonkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2016 11:35 Edited at: 2nd Mar 2016 11:35
I've uploaded the demo to IndieDB. Please rate and leave a comment!

As a side-note; I've been wanting to upload images to the gallery. Is this gone now? The main TGC one.

I've uploaded to the AppGameKit website too, but they don't seem to be processing them. It's been a few days..
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2016 02:09
Lovely work. As I stated on IndieDB, the build up of difficulty makes it fun. It starts of really easy, but not for long after the first few levels.
CodeMonkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2016 01:04
Thanks for the review on IndieDB, Chris!

Unfortunately it looks like TGC gallery has been removed and they're not verifying uploads for the AppGameKit gallery so I can't upload screenshots there :/

In other news.. I've just ordered parts to build a new PC so I'll be much more efficient with work in the future
Paronamixxe
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2016 20:16
@CodeMonkey, I seem to fall through the platforms if I bump into the sides or a block in front of me - sometimes.
cheers
CodeMonkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2016 11:15
@Paronamixxe: Hmm seems to be a problem with quantum tunneling I'll make sure the collision is solid for the next release, can't be having that happen!
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2016 11:33
unlocked
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
CodeMonkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2016 17:01 Edited at: 30th Aug 2016 18:27
Beta Release [II]
I've finally gotten around to finishing the second Beta demo of Skyway. I took the Summer off working on this game, hence the delay in this release. Anyway I'm back to working on the game now, and intend not to leave it too long until the next demo. I'm working toward finalizing the multiplayer code for the next release. Please try out the current demo below. No install required.

Note: The Windows version of this application requires DirectX 9.0c. If you do not have this installed the application may fail to launch. For this reason the installer is included (dxwebsetup).

Note: The Windows version of this application has been compressed with WinRAR.

Download Beta Release [II]

Download Beta Release [II] OSX

www.skywaygame.com
www.facebook.com/skywaythegame
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2016 11:17
Nice

I've thought many times about making one of these games myself but never got around to it.

A few things to consider:
The earth background and the track blends in and it's hard to see holes in the track.
A higher jump tends to be more fun and leads to more varied level design. Perhaps making the ship always behave like on the moon?
It will be easier to see the holes in the track if the camera is positioned higher, looking down. This also increases the players precision. However, you will see less of the sky.
CodeMonkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2016 18:38
Thanks for the feedback! It's hard to get noticed around here

I see what you mean about the background. The dark lighting doesn't help either.. but I'm working on more Earth levels with different lighting and environments. There's going to be a bit more variety in the game closer to release.
I'll work on getting a better camera angle, or what I might do is give the player the ability to change between a few camera modes.
As for the jump; the game has three planets, each with different gravity, so for the mean time I think I'll leave Earth alone.

Again, really appreciate the comment!
www.skywaygame.com
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2016 19:01 Edited at: 29th Aug 2016 03:07
Quote: "I'm working toward finalizing the multiplayer code for the next release. "

I have been wanting to dive into multiplayer, but procrastinate because of the work involved.

Quote: "Thanks for the feedback! It's hard to get noticed around here"

Many notice, few bump.

Will download now, and report feedback later...

... I'm back.
I got inspired by your menu and started playing around making another Earth for my new project.
However, I cannot give a lot of feedback on the game because it was barely playable for me.
The frame rates were extremely slow on this laptop with its integrated graphics processor.
I kept crashing at certain points because I was not thinking of jumping with a ship.
The controls seemed awkward for me as everything was reversed. (press right to go left, etc)
The terrain looked nice, but I could see a pattern in it, and it didn't seem to change when I adjusted the options.
I had tried setting the visual options to low in the hopes that it would help improve the frame rates, but it didn't.
I like the game though, and could probably get used to the controls if the FPS were higher.

Coding things my way since 1981 -- Currently using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
CodeMonkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2016 16:03
Quote: "I have been wanting to dive into multiplayer, but procrastinate because of the work involved."

Tell me about it. Even after having most of the multiplayer code done I'm having issues with lag.

Quote: "Many notice, few bump. "

Very true. The thread has a good few views at this stage, but unfortunately downloads don't carry over! Hopefully they'll pick up when I submit to Greenlight toward completion.

Quote: "The frame rates were extremely slow on this laptop with its integrated graphics processor."

Could you post your specs? Running Fullscreen with V-Sync and MSAA off as well as low textures and Shaders might fix this.

Quote: "The terrain looked nice, but I could see a pattern in it, and it didn't seem to change when I adjusted the options."

Do you mean the model itself seems to repeat as you go through the level? Or is there an issue with the texture?

Quote: "The controls seemed awkward for me as everything was reversed. (press right to go left, etc)"

This is a strange one. I don't know what's causing this but I'll look into it. In the meantime you might have better look with WASD.

Thanks for your feedback mate!
www.skywaygame.com
CodeMonkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2016 18:29 Edited at: 30th Aug 2016 18:30
OSX build of the demo is now available!
www.skywaygame.com
CodeMonkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2016 17:22 Edited at: 8th Dec 2016 22:40
Edit: I'm messing around with platforms that speed you up and slow you down to make the levels a bit more interesting in the final version.

In the meantime why not try out the latest demo and rate on IndieDB!
www.skywaygame.com
CodeMonkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2016 15:34
Just a small update: I've commissioned a 3D artist to do some work for the tiles in the game, and I'm currently working on new environments.

The next demo will be released within a week, for Windows/OSX/Linux.
www.skywaygame.com
CodeMonkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2016 00:10
Beta Release [III]
I've finally gotten the networking code finished! This wraps up most of the features of the engine and just leaves me with asset creation. Over the next few months I'll be working on getting new content in the game; replacing the tiles to spice up the graphics, working on new music, and creating many more levels. Here's the latest Beta demo for you to try out for now! No install required! First to 10,000 points wins Arcade mode, while the first to the last track wins in Classic mode. If you are hosting a WAN game you will need to forward port 1125 to allow Skyway to connect to clients.

Note: The Windows version of this application requires DirectX 9.0c. If you do not have this installed the application may fail to launch. For this reason the installer is included (dxwebsetup).

Note: The Windows version of this application has been compressed with WinRAR.

Note: The Ubuntu version of this application requires the libopenal1 library to be installed on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS.

Download Beta Release [II]

Download Beta Release [II] UBUNTU

www.skywaygame.com
CodeMonkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2017 01:13
Ah Jaysus lads, not even a comment? Give ya a game there if anyone wants to play?
www.skywaygame.com
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2017 16:37
This is looking really good, the sense of speed is spot on, quite impressive to get this speed and smoothness especially with all the effects. Talking about the effects, the weather effects look awesone and add a lot to the game.
Works well.

I haven't done any 3D work yet in AppGameKit as all my stuff has been 2D but I would like to do some sort of racing game at some point so this is good to see that AppGameKit can handle the speed.

Well done.
The Amiga and Amos were great!
My website LEAP - Download Paint Pot here!
CodeMonkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2017 18:37
Thanks for the feedback SpecTre, it keeps me motivated
www.skywaygame.com
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2017 13:39
@CodeMonkey - well done on the game so far. I played the Beta PC version for a while. Here's my feedback;

- I know the game is at night time and it's moody, but I feel you can improve the look by making things look more neon. When I first saw the image of the YouTube video it looked very dull in colour. So if you can improve that I think it'll make a big difference.
- The gameplay is a bit too exact. Maybe a more free flowing left, right, jump system would work better. It's currently like a car race game where you can drive anywhere.
- Make something more exciting happen when you hit the end tunnel
- The explosion effect is a bit naff, that could be better

Hope that gives you some ideas for improvements.
Development Director
TGC Team
CodeMonkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2017 23:53
@RickV: Thanks for the feedback. Hope to polish things up a bit more when I have the levels for the game finished
www.skywaygame.com
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2017 17:04
Bloody hell; I just now found out you released the beta; at the end of February.

I have been so busy during December and January working on my project that I forgot to track the progress your game. Your thread listing can really get pushed down far because of all the buzzing activity in this part of the forum.

I have just downloaded it and have started to play it. Do you plan on adding any battle races with guns, or do you plan on sticking to pure racing? Lovely music. Would like to play on my Android phone.
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2017 00:44
What I liked
1 - The music; very good.
2 - The lighting effects. The lights around the collectables and the lightening in the highland level looks cool.
3 = The speed of the craft; it feels quite lovely when you move at top speed

What I did not like
1 - The craft moves left and right too far too easily. When I tap left or right for a millisecond, the craft almost flies off the edge with no interpolation.
2 - The gameplay is a bit too repetitive for me, I'd like it better if there was more to do. Perhaps jump ramps, hoops, breakables, AI, weapons or puzzles could enhance the experience; it all depends where you are taking this.

Hopefully you will continue to perfect the game.

CodeMonkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2017 18:00
Hey Chris,

Big thanks for all the feedback! I'm going to keep it simple without weapons, like the original.

Glad to hear you like the music! I'm working on more tracks to add to the game. The finished game will have 10 different original tracks

I'm still tweaking the controls, and testing them on different machines to ensure consistency so I'll likely change the straff speed to make it more comfortable.
I've coded in collision for ramps so I'm trying to make the levels a bit more interesting. As well as this the tiles now look a lot better, rather than being programmer art. Hopefully I'll get a new demo out soon with the finished level tiles.

www.skywaygame.com
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2017 21:30
That sounds great. I and other players of similar skill are not as good as you are at controlling the craft, so tweaking the controls will help make it more fun to play. I keep falling off of edges. Challenge is fun, but dyling consistently after 1 minute of gameplay does not make me look forward to the next minute.

I do not know if there is a particular game you are referencing or whether this is based on your own original idea; but either way, the game will turn out great once you have nailed it.
CodeMonkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2019 20:48 Edited at: 18th Dec 2019 20:48
Level Editor
After abandoning Skyway for a number of years I've decided to start working on it again! I want to get this project to the finish line and release it sooner rather than later. I'm aiming for early 2020. I've been working on polishing the game, adding features, and finishing off the level editor. The editor will be included in the game so that players can create their own levels and play against their friends!

The video below shows the features of the level editor, and a quick example track being created and tested.

www.skywaygame.com
Kevin Cross
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2019 12:44
Very neat level/track editor!
OryUI - A WIP AGK2 UI Framework
CodeMonkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2019 14:48
Cheers Kevin!
www.skywaygame.com
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2019 23:59
That looks awesome! I could definitely use something like that
CodeMonkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2019 20:11
Thanks Blink0k

I'll post the source for the project after sufficient release time.
www.skywaygame.com
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2019 02:23
i gave beta3 a few runs; it's hard to fight the need for speed!

nothing else to add to the above feedback; chris tate hit it on the nose, for me.

we'll be ready when you release the next version; looking good thus far

G-Breaker WIP and Itch.io Page.
CodeMonkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2019 18:28
Thanks for the support, Virtual Nomad!

I'll definitely ease into the difficulty on the finalized tracks very slowly, and step it up to quite a hard difficulty by the last tracks.

Hoping to have the next demo available early January.
www.skywaygame.com

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 00:20:48
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 00:20:48