Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / [WIP] Sarah in Candy Land and placement editor

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2015 14:36 Edited at: 17th Jul 2015 01:51
Hi guys,

been working on this for a while and would like to share.

short video of game in action.

short video of placement editor in action

EDIT:

new version available (16/07/2015)

I still have a long way to go before it is ready, but getting there.

This is a link to the google play store where you can download the beta of the game.

Rickynzx[b][u][/u]

Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2015 15:59
Its a great start Rickynzx, I had to have a double take when I loaded the app, I thought I was loading one of mine That company logo is very similar

The jumping/physics are a little too floaty for my liking, but that is of course only my opinion and easily adjusted. All I will say (and this is based on my experience with Happy Chick) make sure you get the physics exactly how you want it before building your levels. If you need to make changes (like I did), you may find you need to re-do all the levels (like I did lol)...

I also notice that if you time the jump right (i.e. as soon as she hits the apex), you can jump again, you will probably need to fix that.

One last thing, there seems to be a delay or 'freeze' when she gets hit by an arrow or gets hurt, you may want to take a look at your collision detection.

As already stated, a great start, I wish you luck

Using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Really good to see this, looks really good. I'm also working on a 2D scrolling platform game (thread here)...so I know how much work this involves!

Keep it up!

Using Tier 1 AppGameKit V2
Started coding with AMOS (Thanks Francois Lionet)
Rickynzx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2015 13:41 Edited at: 19th Mar 2015 13:47
Thanks for the kind comments and encouragement.

Quote: "make sure you get the physics exactly how you want it before building your levels"

yeah, i have experienced this, which is why i have only got a couple of levels just now, as i play with the physics. i did have 6 or 7 levels but had to redesign them every time i tweaked the physics as the main character jumps different heights and lengths.

I am still not finished with them, so only having 2 levels makes it easy to re-adjust everything.

Quote: "The jumping/physics are a little too floaty"

i have been working on this as i want it less "floaty", will get there eventually

Quote: "there seems to be a delay or 'freeze' when she gets hit by an arrow or gets hurt"

fixed this, i made the game pause for a short time so that i could see the collision detection a bit better, forgot to take out the pause before i posted the apk.

I`ll have to check out the jumping bug thought i had fixed that.

Quote: " I know how much work this involves!"

I had no idea how much work this would take, i had not tried coding anything of this size before, just silly little games. i was coding for ages before i realised that i would need a placement editor, which is a lot of work also, probably spent as much time on this to date as i have on the actual game.

When i first started i only had a couple of platforms to test the physics, but when i went to create my first level i was taken by surprise by the amount of data that i would need to code by hand, and that is when i realised that i would need to take a different approach.

I have been following your thread DavidAGK, the game looks great. I really like the placement editor. Great work.

SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2015 16:37
Looks really interesting, nice graphics. Will be good when you perfect your physics on the jumps etc.

Nice work, look forward to seeing more.

The Amiga and Amos were great!
Download my game - Paint Pot from Amazon and Google here - http://leap.my-free.website/
Rickynzx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2015 15:07
Released a new version of Sarah in Candy Land beta.

Made a few changes including:

made the stars slightly smaller.
tweaked the physics so that Sarah is not as "floaty" as she was.
redesigned the levels to take into account the new physics.
got rid of the slight pause when Sarah got injured.
changed the image of the stars.
included a new level in the beta version.

I also tidied up my code a bit as whenever i try something new i leave in the old code in case i need to go back to it, so deleted all the redundant code that i no longer need.

Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2015 17:35
The physics are much better now Rickynzx, plays much nicer... One thing I did notice is that the FPS seems to fluctuate quite abit, it was going down to as low as 40 at some points. This was causing the jumps and game play to be quite sluggish... The first thing I would check is fill rate...

Great improvements... I liked how level 3 was played down as opposed to left or right.

On a side note, did you get your graphics from CreativeMarket? I was going to download a platform pack from them also, as I am terrible at graphics, but their license put me off... Make sure you fully understand what you can and can't do with it, I got the impression that you cannot use them for an entire game... Having said that, I don't really understand it all myself, but I'd hate for anyone from AppGameKit to get caught up in something like that.

SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2015 17:54
Just on a side note, have you seen this post:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=213962&b=41

It is for a game not in use now called Glitch. They have made all the graphics licence free to use how you want.
Very good source for platform games including characters a plenty

Rickynzx, your game is coming along nicely. When it's finished you are going to have a great platformer here.

Download my game - Paint Pot from Amazon and Google here - http://leap.my-free.website/
Rickynzx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2015 14:38
Quote: "One thing I did notice is that the FPS seems to fluctuate quite abit"

I am having a bit of trouble with the FPS, i load the whole level in at once and then move the level around the main character with setviewoffset. i dont know if that is the best way to do it, or if i should only display the level that is displayed on screen as i move. Im sure i read somewhere that AppGameKit takes care of all sprites off screen to maximise speed.

Quote: "did you get your graphics from CreativeMarket?"

I got the graphics from Gamedev market
you can use the graphics for one game, the basic license lets you use it for one free or non-monetized game and the pro license allows the use for one paid for or monetized game.

Thanks spectrepaul, i have seen the glitch graphics and they are really good and free which is great, maybe use them for another project, have to remember to download them, might use some of the graphics for the background.

Rickynzx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2015 16:36 Edited at: 30th Mar 2015 16:40
Quote: "One thing I did notice is that the FPS seems to fluctuate quite abit"

still having trouble with this. Any chance i could pick your brain Funnell7? How did you manage to get the FPS under control in Happy Chick?

I more or less get 60 FPS on my galaxy s4, but lower spec mobiles can fluctuate quite a bit.

I use larger sprites then resize them to a smaller size when loading the level, does this affect the FPS?

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2015 18:05
In AGKv1 and possibly v2, it can cause severe delays if you resize a sprite - I believe this is due to the recalculation that is needed with the sprite shape. I think it's safer to scale sprites than to set their size.

I noticed this when making a particle system that resized pretty much every sprite - switched to scaling a 1x1 sprite instead and it was much smoother.

I am the one who knocks...
Rickynzx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2015 15:39 Edited at: 31st Mar 2015 15:54
Quote: "In AGKv1 and possibly v2, it can cause severe delays if you resize a sprite"

thanks for the suggestion, i have tried this but didnt make much of a difference if any. i resize the sprites as i load in the level, they are not resized in the main game loop.

the entire level is loaded and placed before the main game loop, and i use setviewoffset to move around it.

The only other way i can think of doing this would be to only display the sprites that are on screen with nothing appearing beyond the confines of the screen, but surely doing this would considerably slow down the fps if im having to place sprites and deleting sprites constantly in the main game loop.

Anyone got any other suggestions?

EDIT: Would setting the FPS to a fixed 30 or 40 help or would you notice any side effects to this?

Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2015 15:51 Edited at: 31st Mar 2015 15:53
Difficult to say without taking a look... For Happy Chick, I do the same as you, i.e. load the entire level up front, and then move the view.

Whenever I see dips in FPS, it is almost always an issue with Fill Rate, I am yet to see this happen due to excessive physics for example. You want to ensure that you keep you fill rate to no more than approximately 1.5 times the screen size... Anything more than this can cause slowdown on some devices... I've just checked your app again and don't see any obvious issues with fill rate, but don't forget that transparency also counts towards the fill rate. So if you have oversized canvases which has transparency, this will also be adding to it...

Rickynzx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2015 16:05
Hi Funnell7, i have turned off transparency where i dont need it and its still slows done on some devices, could it be the moving platforms and arrows? i move them even when not onscreen.

Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2015 16:25 Edited at: 31st Mar 2015 16:25
Quote: "could it be the moving platforms and arrows?"

Again I'm basing this on my experience with Happy Chick, but I think this is unlikely. I have a ton of physics moving around off screen in all my levels, a lot more than what you have in level 3...

Its not so much about turning off transparency where you don't need it, but also ensuring you do not have wasted space where you do need it... For example;

Lets pretend 'S' is the image, and '#' is the transparent area,

This would have a much smaller foot print on fill rate;

#S#
SSS
#S#

Than this;

#####
##S##
#SSS#
##S##
#####

Even though you would only see the 'S's on screen. This is probably pretty obvious, but thought worth mentioning...

Rickynzx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2015 16:50 Edited at: 31st Mar 2015 16:52
i will go through my sprites again but im pretty sure i have made my sprites with as little unneeded space as i can.

Only other thing i can try is changing the screen resolution, i currently use 960*540, maybe this is too high for a lot of lower end devices.

I will try playing about with this when i get back in from work tonight.

Rickynzx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2015 16:43
Been busy at work recently so not been coding much.

I have traced the slow down to the moving platforms, so have to look at this code again and see what is causing it.

I am using physics to move the platforms, maybe this is the cause, i will check it out in the next couple of days to see if i can find the problem.

Rickynzx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2015 16:35
I took a rest from coding for a while as i just couldnt see where the slow frame rate was coming from, I thought i had traced it to the moving platforms but it turns out that these where ok.

After a bit of time of and returning with a pair of fresh eyes, i ran the task manager and looked at the processess and could see there was a memory leak somewhere. i went through the code again remming out parts of the code so i could see where the slowdown was occurring.

I had originally looked through the main loop as i was sure that was where the slowdown was occurring, and all the important stuff in the game was happening.

Turns out i was wrong and the slowdown was happening every time i was updating the score. For some reason i was loading in two images every time
the function was being called, one for the full hearts and one for the empty hearts. this has now been fixed and i will be uploading a new version of my app soon with the fixes.

I hope some of you can help with testing it for me and let me know the fps and the devices you are using, as this would be a great help.

I am a bit annoyed with myself for not noticing this sooner as i spent ages trying to figure this out, and almost gave up entirely with the project, although my code is now a lot more optimised than it was before. Hopefully things can move forward now.

Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2015 16:56
These things happen, glad you got it sorted... Stick another post up here once the update is available, I'll download and give it a go for you

Rickynzx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2015 19:16 Edited at: 30th Jun 2015 00:34
Been busy at work so not done much coding but have been doing quite a bit in the last 3 weeks. Game is moving along a bit now.

Additions to game:

Added a rate me button and function.(so players can rate game).
added monsters to avoid.
added 2 game modes. (arcade and casual)
designed some new levels that will make it into final game.
re-designed the level score screen.
added jewels to collect to game.(5 to collect in each level)
added a rating system for each level. You get a one star for collecting all stars in level, one for collecting all jewels and one for completing level before time runs out.
added new tiles to the game to make levels more varied.
loads of tweaks, menu design adjustments and bugs.

probably some other stuff that i cant remember as well, feel like this game is driving me nuts sometimes, but really enjoying the experience of taking on such a large project.

Rickynzx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2015 16:39 Edited at: 17th Jul 2015 02:04
Added a high score table to game and have a new download for everyone to try
tell me what you think, still got a bit of work to do but getting there (slowly, lol)

I would be grateful for any feedback of what you like, dont like and any suggestions.

still to allow players to input their name when you get your score up on the high score table. Thats next on my long list of stuff still to do.

download here

Rickynzx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2015 16:56 Edited at: 20th Jul 2015 16:59
Hi guys

Thought i would post a video of how im getting on with this.
This a the gameplay when playing in arcade mode, i will post another video of casual mode gameplay when i get in from work tonight.

Hope you like it.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2015 23:27
@Rickynzx

well all the hard work you have put into this is paying off, it looks very professional including the menu system which is slick.

Really looking forward to having a bash at this game, very good.

Like how you have implemented the rate me button, does that update the app store?

My website LEAP - Download Paint Pot here!
Rickynzx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2015 13:33
Thanks spectrepaul, im trying to make this as polished as i can which is very time consuming , but hopefully will be worth it.

Quote: " does that update the app store?"

Not directly, it takes you to your app page and lets you rate it from there. I have cheated a bit by only taking you there if you have selected 3,4 or 5 stars, hoping that this will boost my rating a bit. This might change for final version though as more ratings, even only 1 or 2 stars might be beneficial as users would hopefully leave feedback as to why they have given it a low score.

SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2015 13:57
Quote: "taking you there if you have selected 3,4 or 5 stars"

Great idea, like it

Rickynzx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2015 00:59 Edited at: 5th Aug 2015 01:10
Quick update for you guys.

I have implemented IAP to get rid of ads, this seems to work but want to thoroughly test before release.
You can now enter your name when a hi score is acheived.
Added a credits screen as below, giving credit to the App Game Kit.
created a death sequence.
You now get an extra life when 100 stars have been collected.
lots of other fixes, adjustments and additions.

I have a slight issue with the death sequence sprites not appearing on android, but i will have to check out the graphics to see what the problem is.

Does anyone know where to get some decent sound effects and music? i have been spending lots of time searching for some that would fit my game but not having much luck.

[img][/img]

Rickynzx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2015 16:40
Still working on this when i can, lack of time due to work, when i do get some time i find that a lot of time i cant keep my eyes open and have actually woken up with my head lying on my desk a few times. LOL. I take it im not the only one that this has happened to, i hope

I have been busy working on the levels for the game when i have time, world 1 almost done. I hope to release this at the end of the month which should give me plenty time to complete levels and test game (hopefully), but im sure you are all aware that time manages to creep up on you when developing and these dates have to be extended.

Crazy Programmer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2015 17:20
Quote: "time manages to creep up on you when developing"

I call it the Time Warp, you sit down in the morning and next thing you know its 2 am and your going to bed.

Quote: " I hope to release this at the end of the month "

Good Luck! This is really looking promising!

Beta Test Age of Knights:https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.CrazyProgrammerProductions.my_AgeOfKnights
Download JellyFish Dive:https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.CrazyProgrammerProductions.my_JellyFishSwim
Rickynzx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2015 14:05
Thanks for the kind words crazy programmer.

Quote: "I call it the Time Warp"

Sounds about right, great way to describe it

Rickynzx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2015 15:43
Just a quick update, completed designing world 1 of game and have uploaded to google play store for you all to try.

Tell me what you all think, hopefully feedback will help me improve it.

Levels are not in final order, i have to place levels in order of difficulty, or i might just leave them the way they are, not sure yet.

Might take a couple of hours before download is available as just uploaded to store now.

SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2015 18:12
Downloaded and rated. Looks great
Will spend a bit more time later playing the levels but great effort so far!

Rickynzx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2015 16:40
Thanks for the rating spectrepaul, much appreciated. let me know what you think if you have time to try it.

Trying to finish designing more levels at the moment, so comments always welcome.

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2015 03:12 Edited at: 8th Oct 2015 03:26
Congratulations on making it into the October Newsletter!

Just tried out the beta, and left a rating.

Great start on the beta.
The theme and look are very nice.

It is probably due to my cheapo phone, but I got a crash 4 out of 5 times (80%) when going from one level to the next.
Everything went fine until I close the ad, then it crashes.

I had trouble with the controls on my small screen too.
The size of the arrows is fine, but the area that receives the press was too small.
I had to run left first, then slide over to run right, because trying to start by hitting right wouldn't register my touch.

Coding things my way since 1981 -- Currently using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
Rickynzx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2015 11:55 Edited at: 8th Oct 2015 11:59
Thanks for the review CJ, I didnt even know the October newsletter was out yet.

Quote: "It is probably due to my cheapo phone, but I got a crash 4 out of 5 times (80%) when going from one level to the next.
Everything went fine until I close the ad, then it crashes."

Ill check this out, doesnt happen on my phone. ill try on an older phone i have to see if i can trace the problem.

Quote: "The size of the arrows is fine, but the area that receives the press was too small. "

I plan on making the touch area larger for the final version. Keeping the sprites the same size but the area around them larger.

I am currently creating and testing levels for the final version.
If anyone else has tried this I would love to hear your suggestions and/or any bugs found.
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2015 18:25
Quote: "If anyone else has tried this I would love to hear your suggestions and/or any bugs found."

Ok, sorry it has been a bit but I have had a good play with your game and here are the results
(Device testing on ASUS Memo Pad 10)

I like the gfx style and menu systems, especially the rating option, good idea
It is good that it fills the screen well and looks good on the 10" screen, very clear.
The first thing I noticed with the controls is that the jump button is placed well but the arrow buttons could do with being further left to the edge of the screen so I can reach them with my thumb.
I thought the size of the buttons on the tablet were easily big enough though.
The level design starts off well being easier to play and then gradually getting harder which makes it more appealing, games that are super hard at the beginning can be hard to get into.
All the bad guys etc worked well with no problems along with platforms and lifts. Also the jelly jump bases are good and all worked well.
I had a problem when I got to level 7 as the game then crashed a couple of times back to the Android screen so not sure what that is?

Overall the game worked and played very well, it has a great cheery design and the menu systems all work great too making it look very polished.

Great work
Rickynzx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2015 23:23
Thanks for the feedback spectrepaul, much appreciated.

Quote: "the arrow buttons could do with being further left to the edge of the screen so I can reach them with my thumb"

I plan in moving the left/right buttons and making the touch area a bit larger for ease of use.

Quote: "I had a problem when I got to level 7 as the game then crashed a couple of times back to the Android screen so not sure what that is?"

I have an issue that i have not been able to sort yet, I get the odd crash when new levels are being loaded. This does not happen every level so is hard to pinpoint. I think this might be caused by trying to reload images and/or sprites that have not been deleted. does anyone know if this can cause system to crash, this also happens when I run it on my pc.

Iam currently trying to complete the levels and will try and fix this once these have been completed.
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2015 00:03
I had this too on a prototype I was doing where I deleted the image first and then the sprite. When I swapped this around on the system to sprite then image everything went ok
At least that was what I think sorted the issue out but it never did it again after
Rickynzx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2015 00:05 Edited at: 9th Oct 2015 00:10
Cool , ill give this a try. hope its as easy as that.

did you delete sprites and images using deleteallsprites and deleteallimages or did you delete them individually?
Just wondering if that makes a difference.

Thanks a lot spectrepaul
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2015 09:45
It was deleting single sprites and images the one I did and had the crash on it but it would make sense that both might do the same if you delete the image first then there is nothing for the sprite to show on the screen.
As I said I am not 100% sure this was the problem but then it didn't do it again after
Rickynzx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2015 12:26
thanks spectrepaul i will give this a try, ill go through my code and make sure everything is in the right order, hopefully this will sort the problem.
Rickynzx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2015 21:48 Edited at: 20th Oct 2015 21:49
Quote: " I deleted the image first and then the sprite. When I swapped this around on the system to sprite then image everything went ok "

Thanks a million Spectrepaul, this seems to have sorted out the crashing problem. I will have to do some more testing to make sure, but i have got to level 12 with no crashes, before the fix i could only get to 6 or 7 when it crashed. such a simple solution to this problem which i might not have spotted without your help.

Thanks a million. have a beer on me
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2015 02:28
Quote: "Thanks a million. have a beer on me"

No worries, glad it seems to have sorted the problem. The simple things always seem to give a lot of head scratching

Beer drank and cheers back
Rickynzx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2015 23:45
The crashing has reared its ugly head again around level 7. Not changed anything since i thought it was fixed.

Quote: " heart1=createsprite(loadimage("heart.png"))"

Is this safe to use? what happens to the image once the sprite is deleted? is the image left in memory and next time i call this command another image is loaded? does anyone know?
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2015 00:31
heart1Image = load image("heart.png")
heart1=createsprite(heart1Image)

Not sure but I would always create sprites using images like this and then delete sprite and delete image.
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2015 00:34
Here is a snippet from my Paint Pot game for deleting sprites and images.

I use a lot of sprites too because the image to colour is made of lots of sprite sections and every time a new page is loaded I delete them all and load in the new ones. Not had a problem since doing this.
Rickynzx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2015 13:13
I have discovered 6 corrupted level files, starting with level1-7, where the crashes were happening. the levels are loading incorrectly which is causing the crashes.

Dont know how this happened but hopefully once i sort these levels out everything should work again. it might mean having to restart these levels from scratch, but hopefully can sort out what is wrong with them.
My hard drive has been making strange noises the past couple of days, hopefully its nothing to do with this , but i will have to check it out.
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2015 15:40
Sounds like you have it sorted Great news!
Rickynzx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2015 22:59
I hope so, once i have sorted the files ill test again but hopefully thats all it was.
Rickynzx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2015 14:43 Edited at: 12th Nov 2015 14:46
Still having problems with the game crashing, i have been trying to track down the cause of this, but find that every time i run the game it is crashing at a different point, dont know what is causing this and i cant figure out the problem because of the random crashing point.

Would hate to give up as i have spent a long time on this project.

my head is buzzing after having spent many hours and days trying to solve this.
Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2015 14:56 Edited at: 12th Nov 2015 14:58
This may/may not be anything to do with your crashing, although the fact it is completely random makes me think it could be... But why do you Delete Images? Arn't you going to be reusing them again in future levels?

In all of my games, I never delete any images or any media. I simply load all my media (images, sounds etc) upfront, and then use them as and when I need them. With the amount of ram this game would need, I honestly don't think you need to worry about deleting the images after you've used them. Just delete the sprites... I'm just thinking that you may have some sprite somewhere trying to access a deleted image or something, which may be causing the crash?

Worth a try at least...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 10:24:29
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 10:24:29