Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / [STICKY] Dark Basic Pro - Out In The Open

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2016 19:05
Owt happening with this?
a long time dabbler with DBC and DBPro with no actual talent but lots of enthusiasm...
Resourceful
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2016 19:28
Dark Physics - was anther one i would like to see get one tiny fix up
the Water/liquids Physics needed some work

and being able to make holes in objects was the only other thing needed

i read a post on facebook about Directx 12 and it helping the Physics stuff be
50 percent faster even with out the gpu that the old version needed

so there is still a lot of life left in DBP
so it's not ready to be put out to pasture yet

it just needs a few things re worked under the hood and it will go on for years ;o)
wattywatts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2016 23:09
Quote: "Dark Physics - was anther one i would like to see get one tiny fix up
the Water/liquids Physics needed some work "

IMO dark physics never worked right to begin with. There was 1 command I always wanted to use it for, making a physics object out of a mesh, that never worked. Would have been cool for clothing or capes.

Does anyone know if TGC are planning on open sourcing previous releases? If I understand correctly, this latest release has problems using shaders. Is that true?
Resourceful
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2016 19:16
@wattywatts

yes the clothing was the other part to it that needed to be finished
and having to install files form Nvida that had the program to convert them over was a bit of pain
as it was needed to re update the divers after it was installed

Kuper
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Planescape:Torment
Posted: 20th Feb 2016 19:37
Ive tested new release Dark.Basic.Pro.Binary.120216
Situation have changed a bit.
Some Plugins (dark dynamix ) are not recognized other ( Dark Physics, Enchanced Animations ) compiled without errors but crush down after execution
Dark Lights compiled but create black screen and no lightmapping
Also "'Get Object Effect' must be called before 'Set Effect Constant Vector Element' "- message which doesnt exist in normal DBPro compiling
excore
Years of Service
User Offline
Ending a function with empty string like
exitfunction ""
or
enfunction ""
crashes the app without any error reporting.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2016 13:20
Quote: "Ending a function with empty string like
exitfunction ""
or
enfunction ""
crashes the app without any error reporting."

You should do it like this...

ret$ = "MyValue"
ENDFUNCTION ret$

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
excore
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes, I realized after I went through each line of my program. (about 5000 lines)
I like crashing without error... -.-
Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2016 10:26
@ TGC and LeeBamber,

Would really like to see the full-on release of DBPro on Steam, as proposed further above. Is it ever going to happen now?
a long time dabbler with DBC and DBPro with no actual talent but lots of enthusiasm...
Richard Franklin
Years of Service
User Offline
Has anyone actually tried this version of DBP? If so How about a review!
Kuper
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Planescape:Torment
Posted: 24th Mar 2016 18:12
Open source release also contain special version of SynergyEditor which version is "December 20 2014"
But it looks like one of the old 2009's version ( many options doesnt exists )
Still I have issues with it like with one of the old versions ( for example copy/paste function stops working )
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 30th Mar 2016 18:54 Edited at: 2nd Apr 2016 17:21
Hi All!

I've recently returned to the forum after a bit of a break and suddenly feel like a Noob.

I've read the whole of this thread and after my early enthusiasm am now alarmed:

1. I seem to have missed the chance to buy loads of potentially useful stuff from TGC.
2. I am totally baffled where to start with the Open Source version - I've looked at the GitHub link (which itself took me ages to find on this forum) and have no idea what to do next. [Edit: James H has answered this for me and it also seems I didn't unwrap the ZIP file correctly .] [Lee: why not include the link in your first post on this thread?]
3. There seem to be alarming reports of standard Plugins not working (e.g. Dark Shader stuff and Matrix1 Utilities). I feel like I'd be wasting my time going down this road - but my opinion might change if I could actually get started with this version.
4. Has anyone been found to look after the Open Source version?
5. The links to the old upgrades of the original version of DBpro seem to be broken - although, as someone pointed out, you only need to make a small change to the link to be able to access them. But will that continue or will the old files be unavailable soon? I hope not.

Powered by Free Banners
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2016 16:42 Edited at: 4th Apr 2016 18:44
Does anyone know what's happened to the set matrix4 command? It seems to have disappeared from the Open Source version and there now seems to be no way of setting the individual components of a matrix4!! I might have missed a new command somewhere. Any ideas anyone?

Oops! This command seems to be a Matrix1 command.

IanM, where are you when you are needed?

Powered by Free Banners
WickedX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2016 00:27 Edited at: 7th Apr 2016 00:29
Hi, GG. Don’t know if this will work with the latest open source. My plug-in has this function. I could never get matrix1’s Set Matrix4 function to work or the other plug-in supporting this function.

https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/213811

Syntax:
SET MATRIX4 ELEMENT MtxID, Index, Value
Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2016 15:05
Are TGC any nearer releasing a suped-up version of DBPro to Steam?
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2016 18:00
Quote: "I could never get matrix1’s Set Matrix4 function to work or the other plug-in supporting this function."

Always worked perfectly for me.

Thanks for the suggestion though - I'll look into it.

Powered by Free Banners
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2016 20:04
Quote: "Are TGC any nearer releasing a suped-up version of DBPro to Steam?"

Why would they do that? They have no intention to develop or support anything regarding dbpro further. It has been given to the community and they are done with it.
WickedX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2016 23:48
A few day ago I found AppGameKit on my product page so, I decided to try it out. Boy, am I glad I didn’t put my money on this dog. AppGameKit has got to be the clumsiest basic language I have ever attempted to use. Smart Move dropping DarkBasic Professional. I’ll be deleting this now. No, thank you!
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2016 11:01
Quote: "A few day ago I found AppGameKit on my product page "

I found it on mine too - but it was gone when I returned to download it.

Powered by Free Banners
WickedX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2016 21:42
Yeh, it’s no longer on my product page or on my system.
Green7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2016 15:42
Is it possible to get dark lights now, as i did not own it before, but can not get it by buying now...
WickedX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2016 16:35 Edited at: 10th Apr 2016 16:37
Download the DarkBASIC Professional Upgrade 7.5 Extras. In the folder - dbpro_upgrade_7_5_Extras\DBPro_for_FPSC\Compiler\plugins-licensed - you will find the LightMapper.dll, copy this to your - Dark Basic Professional Online\Compiler\plugins-licensed - folder.

Name this LightMapper.ini and copy to your - Dark Basic Professional Online\Editor\Keywords - folder.

Green7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2016 18:28
Thanks a lot!
WickedX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2016 18:44
You are Welcome.
hakimfullmetal
Years of Service
User Offline
Can we still use Sparky's and other free-community-made plugin with open source version?
Haven't tried it yet, afraid of messing up with my current setting.
Darkhog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2016 11:45
What opensourcing DBP means for its license? I.E. Can I now use DBP for commercial purposes even though I didn't buy it?
Darkhog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2016 12:05
Also, any chances of opening other discontinued products such as 3D World Studio?
WickedX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2016 22:31
This is what the license agreement states on GibHub - Open Source Repository.

Quote: "Also, any chances of opening other discontinued products such as 3D World Studio?"

Evolved's, Map Scape is just as good if not better.
seppgirty
FPSC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2016 22:53
I new DBPro was mit, but i didn't see what fpsc classic was.
gamer, lover, filmmaker
WickedX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2016 23:06
Nor do I, fpsc classic doesn't appear to contain a license.
seppgirty
FPSC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2016 00:33
It just says classic and the model packs are open source. I guess the models can be used in any engine by anyone.
gamer, lover, filmmaker
cryofpain
Years of Service
User Offline
right I downloaded all the files from github now how do you install the application to force it to run the compiler???
smerf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2016 11:58 Edited at: 8th Jun 2016 11:59
https://github.com/LeeBamberTGC/Dark-Basic-Pro/archive/Initial-Files.zip
This will download the entire github directory as a zip file. Extract the zip to a folder and maintain the file structure. Go to the install folder run launch.exe. In the editor go to tools -options -environment and set the absolute path to the compiler the one in the install folder "not the dbprocompiler folder." so something like c:\user\desktop\dark-basic\install\compiler\dbpcompiler.exe. There is no installed registry file so a default project will try to be created in the %temp folder an most likely fail because of user permissions. All new projects need to be created and ran from the projects folder. I recommend copying the hello world project and renaming it for future use. run association and rebuild keywords and you should be good to go.
A child's dream never dies.
Resourceful
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2016 21:42
just a thought

there are folks who made addon's for DBP and AppGameKit and FPSCreator
some went free and others did not

the one that did not Should be moved over To Steam so other can buy them

There were a few I wanted to get but did not have the money to spare
now that i do it's a shame i can't get them

that's money missed out and products people would have bought give a chance to
wattywatts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2016 00:29
Quote: "There were a few I wanted to get but did not have the money to spare "

I'd give you the addons I own if I could. I don't think there's a way to do that.
Resourceful
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2016 00:43
@wattywatts

Thanks

the fps creator converter for DBP and AGK2 Tear 1 that are the one's i wanted to get my hands on
Resourceful
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2016 20:16
anyone know who makes

"fps creator converter for DBP and AGK2 Tear 1" ?
zoltar
Years of Service
User Offline
The DBPro source code has been in the open for more than six months so naturally I was wondering what people have done with it. So far there are no real news about any development efforts or activity going on, here or on GitHub, that could suggest there still is interest on the project.

For those who are reading this and might want to share:

1. What are your expectations, ideas or thoughts on DBPro as open source project?
2. Are you actively working on the source code fixing bugs, updating libraries or adding new features?
3. Do you still develop games on DBPro or do you already moved on to use another compiler?

P.S. Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
WickedX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2016 18:43
1. What are your expectations, ideas or thoughts on DBPro as open source project?
In 2010 TGC released the source on Google Code and nothing for the public was done with it then. I would be surprised if anyone is actually developing something with the open source on GitHub. I have tried compiling the GitHub open source and have run into numerous compiler errors. Seems to me after version 7.4 TGC have introduced more bugs then they have fixed. We all need to consider this is an abandoned update for the purpose GameGuru and not edited as an update to DBPro.

2. Are you actively working on the source code fixing bugs, updating libraries or adding new features?
Up to about a year ago I was publicly updating the source on Google Code for GDGK, adding functions, fixing bugs and such. Yes, it uses the same code compiled as library files instead of DLL's. But sadly, there seems to be not much interest in DBPro or DGDK anymore.

3. Do you still develop games on DBPro or do you already moved on to use another compiler?
I use other compilers and still use DBPro and DGDK. The mentality here that if it's not being updated it's dead, is truly sad. I have used it on Windows XP to Windows 10. It is still a very viable programming language. But, I would suggest to anyone, use an official version, not these versions not intended in the first place to be an update to DBPro.
zoltar
Years of Service
User Offline
@WickedX

Quote: "In 2010 TGC released the source on Google Code and nothing for the public was done with it then. I would be surprised if anyone is actually developing something with the open source on GitHub."

The GitHub repository could be facing the same fate. Last time I checked (a few minutes ago) none of the 21 forks has any recorded activity, so unless somebody is developing from a downloaded repository, there has been zero activity.

Quote: "I have tried compiling the GitHub open source and have run into numerous compiler errors. Seems to me after version 7.4 TGC have introduced more bugs then they have fixed. We all need to consider this is an abandoned update for the purpose GameGuru and not edited as an update to DBPro."

What compiler are you using? I've managed to compile it successfully, with only a couple of minor warnings left due to changes to the language, using Visual Studio 2015 Community Edition on Windows 8.1.

Quote: "Up to about a year ago I was publicly updating the source on Google Code for GDGK, adding functions, fixing bugs and such. Yes, it uses the same code compiled as library files instead of DLL's. But sadly, there seems to be not much interest in DBPro or DGDK anymore."

What kind of updates have you done to it? I'd like to see the GitHub version using the latest DirectX version. Although the priority now is to have a functional full open source editor without all the bells and whistles used to enforce digital rights and serve advertising, at least in my opinion.

Quote: "I use other compilers and still use DBPro and DGDK. The mentality here that if it's not being updated it's dead, is truly sad. I have used it on Windows XP to Windows 10. It is still a very viable programming language. But, I would suggest to anyone, use an official version, not these versions not intended in the first place to be an update to DBPro."

Without naming brands what features from those compilers do you think are missing on DBPro? For 2D projects, a map editor, a particle editor, a flexible collision system and an animation bone system are the ones that pop up in my mind first. I haven't explored the potential of DBP for 3D projects so I cannot add anything in that regard. The interaction with the application window and switching between screen modes need a huge revamp. And the source code editor could be more friendly when it comes to asset inclusion.

Thanks for answering.

No comments from anyone else?

Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2016 18:01
To be honest, this came too late. The old svn repo did not include everything (dbpro compiler source itself was not released) and even back then, most of the people that might have had both the interest in working on the project as well as the skill to do so had already moved on.
Resourceful
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2016 19:54
until agk 2 gets up to were DBP was
i can create the games i want and have been wanting for a long time

i may not have the skill set to make changes to it but later on down the road
i am planning on trying to understand

some games i want to do only the pc can handle
if the android device get to the same point i will create
version for them for them
zoltar
Years of Service
User Offline
@Ortu

Thanks for answering. If you don't mind me asking, in case you are still developing games. What compiler or compilers are you using now?

@Resourceful

Thanks for answering. What kind of games do you want to create? And what are the features make DBP better AppGameKit for you? I bought AppGameKit more than a year ago but I haven't had the time to install it yet so I can't make an informed comment about it.

@All

No comments from anyone else? All input is welcome!

Resourceful
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2016 21:12
@zoltar

I've got a quite a few game idea's
3 are remakes of games with the use of muti player

Both can do the basic stuff

But DBP and it's additions can greatly enhance what is being shown

better use of memory and assisting in what needs to be shown and what can be left out to help speed things up

computers have more memory and better video cards at this point than android devices do

the only thing is the game i make on AppGameKit 2 can talk with the computer version
this will increase people wanting to play a game

some game that i got in mind are better off being on the pc
since there are more controller types than on the android
and interfacing with android at this point may not be a option

if the android device could project a bigger screen then that would go a long way
to making me build one of the game on android over pc

and if a person does not have a good enough android device then they will
not want to play the game or spend the money to buy it or rent time on the game

anyone got thoughts to add to what i just said ?
WickedX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2016 07:54
I used Visual C++ 2008. I think I probable gave up to quick. I replaced the missing C++ templates with equivalent code. But, since I had to work from the project files and not the solution is probably the reason the includes were in the wrong place. I did get Dark Lights to compile. I'll have to look into it again sometime.

Personally I use the original editor which has served me well. So for me the editor is not as important as things like callback function, passing by reference and returning user defined types, which would require updating the compiler. DirectX 9.0c is woven to tightly into the source for a conversion to the latest DirectX SDK. What I would really like to see is the DirectX binding completely removed from the core and optional dynamic linked libraries added so the user could choose the DirectX version or choose to use opengl or gdi and gdi+.

When it comes to features or generic tools, none of the compilers I use include any more or less than DBPro. I tend to program features based on need as a plug-in.

My updates to the code for DGDK can be found on this thread - DarkGDK - Unofficial Updates.

To be honest I can't seem to really enjoy playing games on my S7 Edge but, that's just me.
Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2016 09:27
@WickedX, as already stated at your thread, your DGDK initiative is very much appreciated.
I'll be releasing shortly with the last TGC official libraries due to my lack of time to update my project, but your effort opens a window to keep on using DGDK in the future.
Please keep on the good work. Many thanks.
zoltar
Years of Service
User Offline
@Resourceful

Maybe I'm not understanding your point because I thought you could make PC games with AGK.

What I don't like of gaming in mobile devices is the use of touch gestures because it forces you to block your own screen. The only exception are Point & Click games.

Thanks for answering.

@WickedX

I agree on the language. It could use a good revamp. I'll add to the list typed arrays and pointers. Don't quote me on this but I think you can target DX9 from DX11 and DX12 so perhaps there's hope. Having the option to choose which graphic library to use is an interesting idea. DX would still be needed for input, sound, and such, though.

Thanks for answering.

@All

Do you have any comment? All input is welcome!

Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2016 03:45
Im still actively using dbpro last official version though not the github version.

I have AppGameKit but if I were to make a 2d cross platform game, if probably do it in Javascript.

As for direct x 11, rudolpho is working on an impressive plugin. Check the WIP board if you haven't seen it yet
zoltar
Years of Service
User Offline
@Ortu

Quote: "As for direct x 11, rudolpho is working on an impressive plugin. Check the WIP board if you haven't seen it yet"

Impressive, indeed. Thanks for pointing me to her/his work.

What would you think about a DBP release with a compiler that lets you switch off any dependency on DX9?

@All

Do you have any comment? All input is welcome!

Hotline
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Zoltar ! Here are my two cents

Quote: "1. What are your expectations, ideas or thoughts on DBPro as open source project?"

Well as shocking it may sound , i think it's a terrible idea ! While it sounds awesome to have access to the source code and leave to the community to fix bugs , in reality the developers are saying : "Here , do what you want with it , we don't want to deal with it anymore".
it's a noncommittal version of "It's over.We don't care about DBPro". And since DBPro was great because it's simplicity , most users pick DBPro to avoid learning c++ and complex languages.So expecting from the same community to fix bugs , add new features , using c++ is simply impossible.
So i don't think making DBPro open source will change anything.Your best bet is to stick with the latest official version and use it as it is.

Quote: "2. Are you actively working on the source code fixing bugs, updating libraries or adding new features?"

No.And i don't think anyone will.Users who picked dbpro to avoid learning c++ , doesn't have te proper knowledge to fix bugs in c++ , and those who actually learned c++ , c# , Java have moved to another engines years ago and never looked back.
Offcourse there are still 2-3 enthusiasts who want to do something , but they losing interest very fast since the 90% of the DBP community left the forums.Some angry , some learned other languages , some simply lost interest in DBPro.
And what's the point working on something if no one is interested in it ? I can't find any more frustrating thing than that.

Quote: "3. Do you still develop games on DBPro or do you already moved on to use another compiler?"

No.I stopped using DBPro long ago.Since update 1.06x. It was clear that DBPro had no potential.New hardwares popping up every day introducing extreme optimisations , hardware features , not to mention the mobile market , while TGC still struggles with fixing bugs like "crashing if instance object is used with effect on". There are hundreds of modern game engines out there most of them are free , all evolving , frequently updated.So i don't think DBP has enough juice anymore to attract people.It had in 2002 but now it's simply not enough anymore.

So finally here are my thoughts on what is absolutely necessary to make DBPro attractive again : (The list of my fictional DBPro 2.0)

- Support fo all possible platforms (Windows , Linux , Android , OSX , HTML5 , Raspberry etc) I know you say "I don't want to develop for mobile platforms".I know but people will turn away automatically if you don't have a crossplatform engine.It's unavoidable !
- Absolute powerful realtime , convenient , all in one , scene editor ! Without this people automatically will turn away.
- Popular hardware feature support (instancing , hw skin , etc)
- Easily editable Material system.With all popular maps built in (parallax , specular , normal , etc).No fx file hacks ! All built in and 100% compatibilty for all platforms
- Built in fullscreen shaders . No postprocessing hacks , no trillions of lines of code for bloom or DOF.
- Built in shadow mapping !!!! (Not stencil shadows but shader based.Cascaded shadow maps !) Wihout this no one will be interested !
- Built in fast 2d rendering and 2d physics support.(unavoidable!)
- Pure and easy node based scene graph system for both 3d and 2d scenes !
- Libraries for c++ and wrappers for other non OOP compilers.
- Memory managment with simple reference counting

and lot more !

Programming language :
- I say it's best to just pick one of the free basic compilers out there and stick with it instead of reinventing the wheel

But once again , since this is all done countless times (just search for free game engines) i don't think anyone will invest time in such a big project without any guarantees when there are already commercial and free alternatives like UDK , Unity , Cryengine ,Godot or Torque.
We all know some develpers tried this (Nuclear Glory Entertainment Arts) and they failed.Most developers are simply not interested in Basic languages for game development anymore.
[href=forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=191567&b=5]Spark Particle engine[/href]
[href=forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=199163&b=5]Transform gizmo plugin[/href]

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 02:12:34
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 02:12:34