Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Is AGK suitable for me?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I am hoping to develop a learning/training/reference app (iOS and Android) but I don't have a lot of programming experience. I have successfully tinkered with a variety of languages like html, css and vb among others with the help of books, tutorials and forums.

The app I intend to create will have a combination of:
-written reference material
-videos(or external links) of training
-hundreds of multiple choice questions including the ability to have a short random or categorised selection of questions for practice tests of knowledge
-Hoping that each question can give the option to link to the relevant written or video resource or website etc if the user wants more info

Because the material in the app will be mostly text, images and videos that I have created, I'm expecting to mostly need to focus on formatting and linking the resources in a user friendly way. Therefore I'm assuming my exposure to things like html and css should help me navigate AppGameKit with the supporting material available.

Firstly, is AppGameKit suitable for my proposed app?
Secondly, is it easy enough to learn for someone who has a small amount of programming exposure?

Thanks
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2016 12:20
hi,
i believe for ios u need a developer license with a yearly fee + a apple computer.
at android i see the barrier with upload limit of the app apk package file, big resources should be a extra apk file.
agk is more for games but it contains some simple gui elements, label,text,buttons.
i think it fit your needings for this tool and you can't get it more easier in other languages.
AGK (Steam) V2.0.16 : Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit : AMD (15.30.1025) Radeon R7 265 : Mac mini OS X 10.10 (Yosemite)
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2016 12:30
Welcome

With AppGameKit anything is theoretically possible
What you want to achieve is quite challenging, for a couple of reasons:

1. You really need a database. Currently AppGameKit Tier 1 does not have this ability. You would need to use Tier 2, which needs more programming experience (C++)
2. You need a reasonable amount of experience to understand how you would make a generic program capable of morphing itself into different question formats and presentation styles.

I made (80% of) a pub quiz app which worked quite well in terms of presentation, animated effects etc. I used plain text files generated from an Excel Macro of quiz questions, with the ability to select random multiple choice alternatives. So it is possible, but be prepared for some challenges to get there.

Your alternatives are other game-making platforms, which will have the same challenges. Or an environment dedicated to making tutorials and quizzes, which can be quite expensive, and less rewarding.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2016 12:35
The highly successful "Driving Test Success" app was built with AppGameKit, so we know it can do all the things you require.
V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2016 12:42
I think the best solution would be to create an app that links to external web pages. AppGameKit is capable of this.

HTML and CSS are not programming languages, they are markup languages. They are used to format text and images. There's a huge difference. But you say you have VB experience? Maybe some PHP or JavaScript? These are programming languages.

If you want to show formatted text then it's best to create a webpage that the app can open up in the phone's web browser. Similarly I think you can link to a YouTube video and have it open up in YouTube. I don't think AppGameKit can run a video from a link. It would have to bee included with the App. Like Markus points out you are limited in filesize for apps.

Multiple choice questions are quite easy to do. A good beginner challenge!

You could even have these questions stored on a web server so you can easily add and edit questions without the user having to download a new app. AppGameKit can connect to a PHP script on a web server. And if you want to be even more advanced, the PHP script could connect to a MySQL database where all the questions are stored.

I hope that answers your questions
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2016 14:13
I also wonder if it's possible for AppGameKit to stream videos using the default video player on the phone. I have apps on my phone that does that. I've never tried it with AGK.
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2016 16:24
Quote: "1. You really need a database. Currently AppGameKit Tier 1 does not have this ability. You would need to use Tier 2, which needs more programming experience (C++)"

Or use a purely online database and retrieve results with php scripts.
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2016 16:39
Quote: "You really need a database."

a plain textfile or binaryfile would do the same if it fit into device memory.
hosting a database cost some money each month and the system effects the app itself.
if you sell a app in google play and your backend/server did not work well (example: after changes php etc.) the people/app owner can request the money back.
creating/testing php & html access via agk can be difficult for you.
just look at the pros and cons and choose the best way.

AGK (Steam) V2.0.16 : Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit : AMD (15.30.1025) Radeon R7 265 : Mac mini OS X 10.10 (Yosemite)
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2016 18:18
Great Points Markus!

For the questions it wouldn't be so hard to make some kind of file to read from. There are lots of possible solutions. And if the app is relatively small then there's no problem for users to download updates. Then for the more information stuff you could rely on external webpages.
shinyhead
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks to everyone for the informative replies.

The complete project sounds like this might be a much bigger challenge than i expected but all your advice has opened up more questions for me.

Quote: "If you want to show formatted text then it's best to create a webpage that the app can open up in the phone's web browser. Similarly I think you can link to a YouTube video and have it open up in YouTube."
That might be an easier option for my experience with intermediate web page design

Quote: "You could even have these questions stored on a web server so you can easily add and edit questions without the user having to download a new app. AppGameKit can connect to a PHP script on a web server. And if you want to be even more advanced, the PHP script could connect to a MySQL database where all the questions are stored."
Can I still do all that in AppGameKit without knowing C++ ?

Quote: "Multiple choice questions are quite easy to do. A good beginner challenge!"
That's probably a good way for me to start instead of taking on a massive project all at once.

Quote: "The highly successful "Driving Test Success" app was built with AppGameKit, so we know it can do all the things you require. "
That looks like an awesome example of what I'm hoping to achieve. I've heard that some developers sell the licence to their app allowing you to change it into your own version. Is this correct? And if so would I still need to have a good understanding of C++ ?

Quote: "I made (80% of) a pub quiz app which worked quite well in terms of presentation, animated effects etc. I used plain text files generated from an Excel Macro of quiz questions, with the ability to select random multiple choice alternatives."
What should I research to achieve something similar?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 09:26:59
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 09:26:59