Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Great news for AGK 2.0.17 this month!

Author
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2016 02:36
Looks like Feb is going to be a good month for us and all Kickstarter goals complete!

https://www.thegamecreators.com/post/whats-coming-in-appgamekit-2017

I am excited about this:

Mac & Windows export from the IDE

Does this mean AppGameKit Pro might be on the cards next????
The Amiga and Amos were great!
My website LEAP - Download Paint Pot here!
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 2nd Feb 2016 02:43
Wow what amazing progress!

This is really starting to remind me of the good ol' DBP days. Great job Paul and team! I can't wait for 2.0l.17!

Slowly compiling code, one byte at a time.
Follow meh blague for more zany thoughts and possibly offensive programming!
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2016 02:49
Very much so.

It seems lately that TGC team are getting everything on track and have a positive direction of where they want to go with the company.
I have to hand it to you guys as lately I like where things are heading, even a nice fresh website and forum which have given you a much needed boost.

Well done guys and keep up the good work!
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2016 07:06
That's great! What exactly do "Mac & Windows export from the IDE" mean? Are we getting some kind of media protection? The ability to specify icons?

I really wish we could see the latest news post at the top of the forum. Just a headline, so we can click on it and read if interested.
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2016 10:56
Well the Mac option will save a lot of messing around with Xcode and templates as that is the way you have to compile to the Mac, so this will be great. Not sure about Windows.
Blendman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2016 14:05
Excellent !
The 2.017 will be a great version like all the other versions ^^.

The TGC team and specially Paul make incredible works, and the more AppGameKit is growing, the more it is amazing !
AGK2 tier1 - http://www.dracaena-studio.com
Crazy Programmer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2016 18:32
Really sweet stuff

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2016 11:53
I hope they find the resources to make some more 3D physics examples... I am not convinced that the vector stuff is working for raycasting and vehicle setup, seems to be ignoring the Z axis but I can't be sure.
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2016 11:58
I'd also like to see more 3d physics examples... not just for FPS games, but also driving games, flight sim, space flight etc. I think control is lacking currently for vehicles.
V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign
Stab in the Dark software
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Badges, I don't need no stinkin badges
Posted: 3rd Feb 2016 13:10
Quote: "I am not convinced that the vector stuff is working for raycasting and vehicle setup, seems to be ignoring the Z axis but I can't be sure."

Are you talking about the 3D physics? If so could you be more specific about what is wrong with the raycasting.
What vehicle setup are you referring too?
The coffee is lovely dark and deep,and I have code to write before I sleep.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2016 13:31
Well when you create a physics joint for example, you use vector3's to set the orientation and position of the joint... so if you had a vehicle mesh with separate wheels for example, you would set the vector to the wheels position on the main object, and create the joint with the vectors already set. Similarly, if you need to do a physics ray cast, you use vector3's to set the start and end position. But when I create a joint, the position is just wrong - I can set the vector to say, -20,0,-50, then create the joint, and the wheel will be stuck in the centre of the main object, not at -20,0,-50.

For all the physics engines that TGC have provided, and the third party engines... there aren't many vehicle based games, or even games with decent vehicles that I've seen. It would be awesome if we can actually make AGK2 physics work beyond just another box and sphere dropping demo. Heck, I want to make a driving game and pinball game in AppGameKit, and those both rely on being able to make sensible joints.

On top of that though, I'd like to be able to do simple ray cast checks with physics objects, even if it just returns the object number hit - this whole vector3 thing is like coding wearing oven mitts, especially when your trying to use ray casting to get around bugs with the physics joints not working. As I said, the physics need to work and do a lot more than just stand in for collision handling. I started out trying to setup a vehicle with joints, not work. Then I set a vehicle body as a physics object and plan to use ray casting for wheel collision, not work... so do I have to setup any collision object to have physics and standard collision? - am I really back to these sorts of workarounds already?

I hope I'm just bad at physics coding, but what hope have you got when there's no examples to experiment with.
Stab in the Dark software
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Badges, I don't need no stinkin badges
Posted: 3rd Feb 2016 16:38
I tested all of the joint and vector commands. Could you post a small code snippet where it is not positioning the joint correctly?
There could be a bug, but at the moment I can not duplicate what you are describing.
I will post a demo showing how to use the ray cast and vector commands to pick a physics object with the mouse I just need to convert from Tier 2.
A rigid body joint vehicle is a little harder to keep stable and is better for slow moving vehicles like tanks.
A joint vehicle works best with a Featherstone joint which is not currently available in AGK.
A ray cast vehicle is a little tricky to get stable but fortunately the Bullet Physics library has the capability.
I am currently developing a ray cast vehicle controller in tier 2, below is a development video.
I create the vehicle chassis collision shape using the convex hull decomposition app I created.
https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/215861
The app automatically creates a compound collision shape made from convex hull collision shapes and
allows changing the center of mass for the object. A vehicle controller needs the center of mass of the chassis
object to be lower to keep it stable in the physics simulation. To get this to work in AppGameKit Tier 1, AppGameKit would require a physics update.
I am not sure if TGC are interested in adding this to AGK.

The low FPS is an artifact of the screen capture software.

The coffee is lovely dark and deep,and I have code to write before I sleep.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2016 17:24
Looks cool, it's pretty much what I'm trying to achieve. I will do some more tests and make an example of my issue, then hopefully it's just that I'm doing something completely wrong... I do want to be wrong
Don't worry about converting the code, I'm sure you'll see what I'm doing wrong.
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2016 17:35
Quote: "I am currently developing a ray cast vehicle controller in tier 2"
I'd really like to see enough commands exposed in Tier 1 so we can make our own controllers.

Quote: "I create the vehicle chassis collision shape using the convex hull decomposition app I created."
Will that get released to the community or are you just teasing us

Quote: "To get this to work in AppGameKit Tier 1, AppGameKit would require a physics update.
I am not sure if TGC are interested in adding this to AGK."
Hasn't AppGameKit just had a physics update? Does that mean the current 3d physics implementation isn't quite fit for purpose? Continual improvement is what we like to see

I also want to make a pinball game, and a racing game, flight sim, fighting game, space trader (elite style) etc. and I would really like to use bullet physics for these. Currently I'm not sure enough of the feature set has been implemented to achieve this, but I'd like to think we'll see continued improvement over the coming releases.

V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2016 09:57
I think my big problem was that I assumed setting the offset would offset the object automatically - when I position the wheels then create the join it works much better.

Now, how in the heck do we turn wheels left and right and around using a twist cone.... is a twist cone the best way...

Actually, any incite someone could give on how to turn the wheels once their joined would be great - I can sorta imagine how the cone twist rotation target vector might work, but it's fiddly to even experiment with... all my experiments have done so far is give the back wheels Parkinson's disease.

Weren't we supposed to have hover boards, flying cars, and easy physics engines by 2016!
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2016 10:34
Quote: "Weren't we supposed to have hover boards, flying cars, and easy physics engines by 2016!"

Hover boards, yes. But easy physics engines, get real!!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
JohnStabler
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2016 11:03
Thanks very much for this post!

I remembered seeing this news while in a hurry and then remembered it a day or two later. Went hunting for it in my email, Kickstarter updates and Steam feed and couldn't find it. I was worried I had dreamt the whole thing!

Terrain looks awesome and I'm really excited about the FBX support and 3D fog!
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2016 13:21
News update at the top of the forum is a good feature
Means we don't miss anything, well done again TGC!

Think this system will work well in replacing the newsletter.
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2016 15:53
Yeah, it's exactly what I wanted with the added bonus of being able to close it down once you've read it. Meaning when there's more news it will pop up so you don't miss it
Blendman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2016 18:38
Great news, excellent terrain and amazing atmospheric effect, sky and fog !
AGK2 tier1 - http://www.dracaena-studio.com
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2016 08:34
Quote: "Assign arrays at any time"

What does that mean? What is the current restriction to assigning arrays?
AGK V2 user - Tier 1 (mostly)
Polaraul
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "TheGameCreators are starting an app development using Tier2 AppGameKit"

Just when things started to get back on track, I really hope this announcement doesn't divert resources from AppGameKit and GG! Even if new members are hired, existing members of staff will presumably still have to project manage this.
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2016 14:44
Quote: "existing members of staff will presumably still have to project manage this."

Nope.
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2016 17:08
Quote: "What does that mean? What is the current restriction to assigning arrays?"

It means you can do this

At the moment you can only assign values when the array is defined, and only for single dimensional arrays.

Quote: "I really hope this announcement doesn't divert resources from AppGameKit and GG! Even if new members are hired, existing members of staff will presumably still have to project manage this."

Nothing to do with me! And since they are using Tier 2 if they need a specific new feature they can add it themselves.
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2016 18:20
Quote: "Just when things started to get back on track, I really hope this announcement doesn't divert resources from AppGameKit and GG! Even if new members are hired, existing members of staff will presumably still have to project manage this."

I know you have been away for a while Polaraul but things have been going quite well with TGC with all the great updates and site etc.
I think you should wait and see what happens this year as I think 2016 could be pretty good!
Crazy Programmer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2016 19:33
Quote: "I think 2016 could be pretty good!"

+1

I have really high hopes for this year and I don't think ill be disappointed
Download My Games for Android. Made with AGK.
Jellyfish Dive- https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.CrazyProgrammerProductions.my_JellyFishSwim
Brick Destroyer - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.CrazyProgrammerProductions.my_BrickDestroyer
Ping Bong - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.CrazyProgrammerProductions.my_Pong_Ping_Bong
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2016 21:38
Quote: "It means you can do this"

Awesome

What does "Mac & Windows export from the IDE" mean exactly?
hakimfullmetal
Years of Service
User Offline
No plan for increasing the bone limit past 40?

Me so sad
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2016 04:22
Quote: "What does "Mac & Windows export from the IDE" mean exactly?"

Mac export will bundle the media into a .app file and sign it using a Mac developer certificate, similar to iOS. Windows export will be able to change the exe icon, no media packing at this stage.

Quote: "No plan for increasing the bone limit past 40?"

It will be increased to 100, with the caveat that some old devices may fail to render your object.
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2016 08:39
Quote: "It will be increased to 100, with the caveat that some old devices may fail to render your object."

Fine by me! lol
Preben
AGK Studio Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Mac export will bundle the media into a .app file and sign it using a Mac developer certificate, similar to iOS. Windows export will be able to change the exe icon, no media packing at this stage.
"

Please also include a productbuild to generate the .pkg so we are able to submit to the Mac App Store , i been trying for some time now to do this by hand, using codesign and productbuild with no luck , it always complain about the content inside the pkg , icons etc...

best regards Preben Eriksen,
hakimfullmetal
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "It will be increased to 100, with the caveat that some old devices may fail to render your object."

Veddy nice

Now if version 2.0.17 is still accepting request, I have a short list of ~100 more features....

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2016 11:40 Edited at: 13th Feb 2016 11:41
Quote: "Mac export will bundle the media into a .app file and sign it using a Mac developer certificate, similar to iOS. Windows export will be able to change the exe icon, no media packing at this stage."

Well,that's a step in the right direction. Altering the icon is nice. But yes, I want the media packaging Is that something you plan on adding soon or later this year?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 23:59:30
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 23:59:30