Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Some AGK Questions

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2016 22:48 Edited at: 4th Feb 2016 13:42
First off I am dragonslayer. I have been a member here for a lot of years. I couldn't get logged in because of an old email address that no longer works. I had to re-register and asked them to switch everything from my old acct to this new one but I don't think that happened.

Anyway I guess it is about time to be out with the old and in with the new. It seems like DBP and FPSC are pretty dead so I think I am going to get started with AppGameKit and Game Guru. I have been looking into AppGameKit and really like the idea of using basic or C++.

Some things I would like to know.
Is this language as good or better than DBP? I read many great reviews on steam.
Do I have to be logged into the web and logged into steam to program or does it download to your PC like DBP?
How is the 3D? I read that it is not really good yet.
Is it strictly mobile apps or can you make a regular PC only game?
Is it strictly games or can you make applications with it for mobile and PC?

I think that is about it for now. Gonna check out the DEMO for a while!!!
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2016 08:15
Is this language as good or better than DBP? I read many great reviews on steam.
I'd say it's comparable to DBPro - obviously one benefit of DBPro is the plugins, which aren't available in AGK. I'd say that AppGameKit is at the same or similar level to DBPro, but AppGameKit is being developed. Personally I'd opt for AppGameKit over DBPro, even if it's just for PC. There's also the problem of DX9 installation with DBPro.

Do I have to be logged into the web and logged into steam to program or does it download to your PC like DBP?
Depends where you get it from. I got mine from Steam, and I have to be logged in to start up AppGameKit - but once it's loaded I can log into steam somewhere else, it might complain about another login, but for me at least AppGameKit doesn't need to close when it loses network connection or Steam login.

How is the 3D? I read that it is not really good yet.
It is getting there. In fact I think there's a terrain system being added very soon. It has bullet physics, and bone animation now, and I think that shaders are actually a little bit easier in AppGameKit than DBPro, not entirely sure why. The 3D features can't compete with DBPro plus all the plugins, but it's certainly comparable to standard DBPro. I think that users are only just scratching the surface with how nice an AppGameKit game can look.

Is it strictly mobile apps or can you make a regular PC only game?
You can make your game for whatever you like, it's up to you whether or not to release to other platforms. I mean, if your gonna make a PC only game, why not make it for Mac as well... there's a much bigger difference between developing for say, Android tablets, but it tends to be things like control schemes that need the most work. I think that it's better to at least try your app on the Mac and Linux - it makes the humble store a real option, and makes your game look far more professional on Steam. I have noticed how much AGKv2 has improved over AppGameKit for compatibility - if something works on your PC, it'll probably work just the same on OSX and Linux etc.

Is it strictly games or can you make applications with it for mobile and PC?
It depends on the app - some app ideas just wouldn't work without deeper access to internal features and memory. So if your app idea is a fitness tracker then AppGameKit is probably fine, but if it's trying to be the next facebook then AppGameKit is a bit lacking. That might be for the best though... AppGameKit is too easy to learn to let it access sensitive or personal information on every platform - script kiddies would be all over it. Right now, if people see an app or game is written in AppGameKit, they can be assured that it won't be doing anything nefarious.
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2016 08:49
Is anyone else seeing masses of blank space under scottwolfe's post?

Anyway: I agree with everything VANB said. AppGameKit is seriously good. If you want to branch out into mobile development, then get it.

V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2016 09:49
Yeah, seeing that too - it's not something Scott is doing, can't see why it's doing that but it doesn't seem to be the message or signature or anything.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2016 13:43
It was full of line breaks, but as VanB says, not in the post or sig.
I fixed it by editing the post and saving it again.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2016 16:46
The language itself is better from what I recall from my DBP days, we just don't have all features that aren't specific to the language. That said, AppGameKit is getting more and more features added. Some that DBP has and some that it doesn't have (to my knowledge). And it already has plenty of features that DBP don't have. TGC are now committed to improving both AGKv2 and GG during 2016 and I think I read somewhere that all updates will be free for this year. The 2016 survey is filled with juicy stuff.
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2016 08:51
Quote: "Is this language as good or better than DBP? I read many great reviews on steam."

I would say it is as good as DBPro yes. But DBPro was extended by third party plugins, which AppGameKit still doesn't support.

Quote: "Do I have to be logged into the web and logged into steam to program or does it download to your PC like DBP?"

No you don't. You do the first time to install it via steam (naturally) but from then on you don't need to connect to the internet.

Quote: "How is the 3D? I read that it is not really good yet."

It's still in its infancy, but is still very good. Check out my VR Zelda game for a quick glimpse of what the 3D is like... https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/215226#msg2567330

Quote: "Is it strictly mobile apps or can you make a regular PC only game?"

Nope, you can make windows programs too.

Quote: "Is it strictly games or can you make applications with it for mobile and PC?"

It's a programming language, you can make whatever you want with it! Granted it has no native UI elements ,(Other than text/memo boxes) but you can create your own UI engine to handle whatever you want as I have done. See the below video of an early version of my UI engine, created 100% from scratch by myself, (except the banner ads, that is third party, and freely available in the forums.)
I've not used ANY AppGameKit UI elements to create this.

As you can see, the memo box works, buttons animate with mouse over and mouse down images, It has the community ad support as well as a nice debug performance graph. And to top it off, is 100% customizable, skinnable and scriptable as it's based on a very human readable form of XML. I even coded my own music engine as I believe AGKs built in system is quite bad. (Read, basic)
scottwolfe
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for all of your answers! That video looks good. I saw some comments about AppGameKit not having all the plugins of DBP so why doesn't TGC program that stuff into the language as they are updating and improving it?
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2016 11:32
Quote: "I saw some comments about AppGameKit not having all the plugins of DBP so why doesn't TGC program that stuff into the language as they are updating and improving it?"

The big problem with this is that .dll files doesn't work on all platforms. But it was part of the 2016 survey so it's probably coming at some point.
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2016 18:40 Edited at: 6th Feb 2016 18:42
If you work in Tier 2, C++, you can use other libraries for stuff.

I think the only limitation on that is not being able to use ones that want to control the display and intercept user/device inputs.

Oh, if the library is not available for Linux, iOS or Android, it cannot be used there either.

But, if you are only planning to work in one environment, that isn't necessarily an issue.
Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2016 09:14
Back when AppGameKit was first released, I asked for support of non human readable text files which can be used a plugins for AGK. Just like you can #include .agc source files, you could (for example) #connect this precompiled source file to add additional functionality without exposing the raw source code.
IBOL
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2016 20:56
on the "FOR" side of AGK:
I have made 2 commercial games with it, one on steam and one through a traditional physical publisher:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/391440/
http://www.shrapnelgames.com/Ibology/AI/AI_page.html

That's AppGameKit 1 , tier 1.

It can be done!

but on the "AGAINST" side, there are definitely some things.
I can't access the steam services like userID, or do any steam achievements or anything.
If a publisher wants me to "integrate their APIs" , i'm basically screwed.

I've said this before, and I will continue to say it:
there are >125 million steam users who actually *PAY* for games. Steam integration should be a major development priority.
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2016 22:55
Agreed!

Cool to see an AppGameKit game on steam. Did you go through Green Light?

How are things going with your games, if I may ask?
IBOL
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2016 23:08
hey, DA,
yes, I went through greenlight, just like all the other hundreds (thousands) of indies out there. I got no (specific) help from tgc or anyone, other than the decent people of the world.
But greenlight is extremely tough, and can be very disheartening. It is also being diluted by an enormous influx of people putting their "first games" on greenlight.

XenoBloom earns a fair bit each month, though not nearly enough to support anyone. Not to mention the fact that I split the $$ with the artist and musician...

The success of Approaching Infinity is crippled by the outdated publisher. If the price was $10 on steam, it'd make 20x as many sales.
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2016 08:34
Ibol:
Yeah, the $30 price on Approaching Infinity looks quite high. Is it only available on their site? There are a few popular stores these days like GOG and Humble that you should be on. But there are people and even reviewers that doesn't consider games not available on Steam.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 22:38:26
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 22:38:26