Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Joystick detection for mobile devices.

Author
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2016 10:58
Hello, I want to get an Android compatible bluetooth joypad, and wanted to know if the *RawJoystick*() commands will work?

Has anyone tried it themselves? Will the command actually detect them? Can I use the raw commands on Android?

Answers, below.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2016 11:37
I used to have a controller for my phone and could play my game with it. Don't remember if I used the joystick commands, it could have been key bindings. The controller for Ouya works with the joystick commands and that's an Android platform with a Bluetooth controller. Not sure if that's something special that they added to the system though. I'm not sure if Android has default controller support.
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2016 13:02 Edited at: 1st Mar 2016 13:10
How are the buttons on the Ouya controller handled, I've read they're all messed up?
For example, do the Raw commands detect them correctly?

EDIT: I've just bought a bluetooth controller, so I guess I'll see how it goes when it gets here.
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2016 08:49
The Ouya controller works similar to a 360 controller. I don't remember everything exactly but I think the d-pad reports keyboard arrow keys in addition to button presses. I had no controller issues bringing the game over to Ouya.
Jack
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2016 11:04

[/url]
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2016 11:15
Thanks, but I know how to detect the joysticks, I have fully working and implemented 8 controller support in my engine.

I just wanted to know if the Raw commands worked across all platforms, as the Raw commands are NOT fully cross compatible.

Anyway, I've ordered the above android compatible controller so I'll get to do my own tests when it arrives. (Just hope it works!)
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2016 17:11
Good luck and post your result here
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2016 19:52
Cheers, and I will.
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2016 19:48
Ok then, for anyone who's interested.. I've received my bluetooth controller, and it works perfectly! It turns out the raw commands DO actually work on an android device!

I had no issue at all with getting it to work. Just turn bluetooth on on the device, turn the controller on, pair device and that's it. I broadcast the game to the device and it just worked. (And for the $5 I paid for the controller, it was well worth it, and it'll be better value to our colonial cousins in America too, where postage will be much cheaper!)
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2016 15:30
Thanks for sharing Great for VR/Cardboard.
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2016 20:20
My thought exactly. It's even cheap enough to include as a pledge perk on kickstarter or something.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 13:31:51
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 13:31:51