Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Is there going to be resolution selection?

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2016 17:32
I seem to recall somewhere that there would be the ability to specify a full screen native resolution added at some point.

Is this the case?
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2016 19:13

There you go, fullscreen, native resolution.
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2016 19:26
Quote: "I seem to recall somewhere that there would be the ability to specify a full screen native resolution added at some point."

Not yet anyway. It's more likely that we will be able to alter the backbuffer resolution and having AppGameKit scale up the image to the current resolution. There's a note in the help files that AppGameKit currently doesn't support a backbuffer of a different size than the window size. So if you are running fullscreen right now your game will also render to that resolution. With 3D added to AppGameKit I can't see any reason to not allow for a different sized backbuffer. I'm not sure but I think this is how modern games do multiple resolutions.

Quote: "There you go, fullscreen, native resolution."

I think he's calling for the ability for the game to alter the desktop resolution.
nz0
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2016 01:56
Quote: ""There you go, fullscreen, native resolution.""

Yea, Digital awakening is right.

There are some options to set the back buffer size, but we still have the rescale to the desktop resolution, which to my mind is not viable for a PC gaming platform. Not being able to offer different resolutions is a huge handicap for AGK.
The only point of a selectable resolution is for performance on the GPU and for as long as I remember, this means soft setting the desktop res.

If I manually test against different resolutions (set at desktop) I get 30-60% increases in speed for lower, perfectly acceptable resolutions. Besides, it should be up to the user to decide.
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2016 10:04
Rendering to a smaller resolution and then upscaling the result should be a lot faster as well. This should be fine for 2D games.

But for fullscreen Windows/Mac/Linux we should be able to alter the resolution if we want to. It only makes sense as other games do so. You will notice this in games if you set them to a resolution other than the desktop resolution and when you alt+tab between the monitor goes black for a moment. If you are playing at desktop resolution the switch is instant as it doesn't have to change the resolution in between. This is something that AppGameKit should have if we want more advanced 3D games in the future.
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2016 15:38 Edited at: 7th Mar 2016 15:40
myself not like if apps change my system settings at pc. if the lcd/led monitor get the wrong resolution the view is blurred.
there was a lot of trouble in past if windows rescale the desktop to 800x600, the icons got a new place or if the game crash the desktop was very small^^
what i prefer is a window mode what can resize to any resolution by user.

upscaling should work like this if u need blocks
SetWindowSize( GetDeviceWidth(), GetDeviceHeight(), 1 )
SetVirtualResolution( 640,480 )
AGK (Steam) V2.0.17 : Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit : AMD (15.30.1025) Radeon R7 265 : Mac mini OS X 10.10 (Yosemite)
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2016 19:24
If and when I get around to this it will be as Markus describes, a borderless fullscreen window at native resolution, and a render target at your chosen resolution that will be stretched to fill the screen. Forcing a desktop resolution change has too many things that can go wrong, particularly if the app crashes or freezes.
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2016 20:27
Quote: "If and when I get around to this"

I think you are going to have to add it sooner or later. Rendering 3D to native resolution can be very tough on laptops. Many of them come with 1080p screens but not the hardware for it. When AppGameKit was 2D only, it wasn't as bad.
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2016 21:30 Edited at: 7th Mar 2016 21:35
Quote: "Many of them come with 1080p"

full hd laptops are very rare with a tolerable price, at this time i saw many many hd screens.
"cheap" notebooks comes with cheap graphics cards, but mostly they just want save battery.
also accept that some older notebooks are not for AAA gaming.
it make no sense to compensate the power by using a vga resolution, it will looks ugly and the shaders on hardware etc. is still missing, lack of memory or ram speed...
better full hd (or up) graphics cards hardware for notebooks are comming soon because much gamers, they just use power adapter and do not think about battery.
the important thing in 3D is often LOD and certainly source code optimization.
myself got a full hd notebook this year (at best price), it can render a cube in smooth frame rate, but the amd card have less power than a pc card.
(the price for a gaming notebook was 3x more, i not want to invest.)
AGK (Steam) V2.0.17 : Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit : AMD (15.30.1025) Radeon R7 265 : Mac mini OS X 10.10 (Yosemite)
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2016 23:00 Edited at: 7th Mar 2016 23:02
Quote: "full hd laptops are very rare with a tolerable price, at this time i saw many many hd screens."

1080p is so hyped up that people want it no matter what. And it's great for browsing the web, using Word or watching movies. And that's what most customers will be using it for anyway. But when you play any game you have to set it to 720p and low settings.

Actually for PCs it's better to have a 16:10 resolution like 1920x1200. The increased height makes it easier to work and browse the web.
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2016 07:33
Quote: "1080p is so hyped"

i think retina resolution (apple) or better will be the winner.
1600x1200 i had 1998, so full hd is nothing special.
maybe the vr glasses replace the normal displays.
steam sell his vr and ms make the hololens glasses,
both are very cool and must have but also very expensive yet.
the advantage for glasses you have a display for all devices.
see wii u, the controller have a wireless display.
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2016 08:56
For the average consumer I think we are stuck with 1080p for quite some time

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 11:28:25
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 11:28:25