Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / fancy tps demo

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2016 21:28 Edited at: 25th Sep 2017 04:41
hey guys!

i just wanted to showcase my unfinished tps thats sort of a successor to "the neighborhood project" that i worked on back in 2014. i was working on this but it was put on hold so i could finish my agk project.

the story behind this is about a group of friends who get attacked by a local gang for some unkown purpose.

there are some features that are planned just not implemented such as pathfinding , timer based movement, in-game cutsecenes, etc. im releasing this demo to get some feedback, i need to see how fast this goes on other computers cause this goes incredibly slow on my crappy laptop. also i saw no point in having this hidden on my computer.

download demo: https://www.mediafire.com/?v9m117wff5mik67

controls:

-wasd for movement
-c to take cover
-enter to pause/play
-spacekey to skip cutscene
-mouse/click to move camera and shoot

credits:

all assets were modeled, animated, and textured by me (except pedestrians that were bought from turbosquid)

thanks sven-b for the BMP font kit
thanks Kaedroho for the lod and anisotrophic filtering plugins
thanks sparky for your collision plugin

everything else was programmed by me

also be sure to check out my agk game too, link below:
https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/217474

cadasi.com
hakimfullmetal
Years of Service
User Offline
Is it multiplayer?
fancy music
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2016 18:47
there isnt any multiplayer in this game, i planned for this game to be single player only. also i probably wouldnt inlcude multiplayer in any game using dbpro because of speed, but im not too sure i would have to test first
what are you still doing driving a cab?
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2016 21:16
Keep up with it, you will come up with your best solutions later on in development.
fancy music
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2016 19:06
has anyone tested this? i just want to see what the fps would be on other machines
what are you still doing driving a cab?
Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2016 11:32
Running at solid 60fps here, windowed, as it starts by default.

It said d3dx9_31.dll was missing on my computer (and it was )

Intel Core I7, Windows 7, Intel HD 5500.

Looking good, nice work
James H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2016 19:17 Edited at: 23rd Aug 2016 19:22
Performance wise I saw frame rates differ between 24 fps and 60 fps, I would say mostly below 40 and only around 60 when looking away from the scene, where there is less geometry. I think you have not taken draw call count into consideration? Having this value output to screen for debug is just as important as having the triangle count to monitor performance - I can get much higher frame rates with way more triangles in DBP than this exe on this hardware I am using, curently am working on a basic test with 245000 triangles, in 50 draw calls and I am getting 250+fps. Obviously I can tell you have a lot of draw calls based on how often the triangle count changes as I move around the scene. In essence draw calls are very important indeed - I can look in a direction where no movement occurs with the geometry and as I angle left and right slightly I can see the trinalge count vary significantly, this geometry is static so you should work on combining them to improve the draw call count. 1 mesh = 1 draw call, 1 object =1 draw call and each additional limb attatched = 1 draw call each.

Don't be afraid to use large textures to help combine meshes. You can also work with simple shaders and use the texture stages to help combine meshes if your unsure of texture size limits(1024*1024 should be fine even for slightly older hardware). Try seeing how many cubes you can fit in an empty scene to the point where the fps drops to a level that's playable, then repeat the same scene but this time swap the cube mesh for a higher triangle count mesh(not to high - there are still limits) and notice very little variance in performance. I want to point out a slight disclaimer here - on very old or poor performance hardware this probably won't work out as I have just written. In any case play around and test to see what the limits of your hardware can do with DBP then work out a way of managing it.

Quote: "-wasd for movement
-c to take cover
-enter to pause/play
-spacekey to skip cutscene
-mouse/click to move camera and shoot"

As I don't know what has been implemented exactly I am unsure if this is your intention - after a good few turns I eventually worked out that I don't appear to be able to kill anybody, I tried emptying all rounds on 1 man with a gun at his head, nothing happened other than lose 100 rounds so I did the same again for a guy without a gun, again nothing happened. I did get fed up in the end of restarting the program because every time you restart the game from the menu or after being killed, the second cut scene that gave me bullets the first time around don't get given again.

Sometimes the player spawns walking below the ground so that only his knees upwards are visible and sometimes as I walk into the entrance of the shop the character gets positioned on the roof of the shop and remains that height wherever I go. Each time the objective is reached to move to the second cut scene there is a slight flicker between the black screen and the player screen, sometimes the screen remains black and even the menu is not accessible, once again forcing a restart of the program.

I also found the mouse controls unbearable, I feel I must turn left to go left but instead go right, the camera is to close I think as it feels more FPS.

None of the menu items are available other than start/restart and exit.

Forcing window mode without being able to move the mouse to the maximise button meant whatever fps I was getting was impaired, ideally even window mode should be maximised without borders as it affected by your desktop settings and what ever else you have running in the back ground - or better still full screen exclusive mode should be used for better frame rate as it pretty much takes near full control of your hardware.

So by now you will be wondering what my setup is so here it is;

Win10 Pro 64 bit
AMD A4-5300 APU at 3.6 GHz
8GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce 750 GTX with 1GB VRAM GDDR5
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2016 23:17
Mouse controls were all backwards, very annoying.
Mouse buttons didn't seem to do anything.

A guy walked into me and I died apparently.

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
James H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2016 00:19
Quote: "Mouse controls were all backwards, very annoying.
"

That was my initial thought - the movement is correct for TPS but the camera was in a position similar to FPS much like in GTA - basically having a distance from the player needs implementing better with an RMB aim option which should move camera to current position and flip the control movement to FPS just like in GTA.

Quote: "Mouse buttons didn't seem to do anything."

Yeah in cut scene 1 there are no rounds for your weapon until you go to cut scene 2 and reach the first objective. Aim and fire after that will reduce the 100 rounds to zero but no effect is apparent, no decals or hit registers and apparently 100 rounds does not appear to be enough to kill anyone :/

Quote: "A guy walked into me and I died apparently.
"

The only characters with weapons are those following you around, I think it is them killing you but lack of good AI means they often walk up close as they can to you. If you go near areas where you can take cover like by a car or a shelf section in the store and press C when the cover icon appears at bottom of screen the player will crouch and stick to the object for cover, it is at this point you can not be damaged and can regain your health - those NPC's will walk right up to you and still can't harm you, but yeah you died "apparently" because he was silently shooting you - from the moment you enter cut scene 2 you have a matter of seconds before they shoot you and your health drops fast - just get in to cover quickly.
seppgirty
FPSC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2016 00:33
Windows 7 64 I5 16 gig of ram

Got an average of 60 frames per sec.

I agree that the controls are loose and sloppy feeling. I didn't move around to much because of controls and someone kept killing me. Good start though. Keep it up.
gamer, lover, filmmaker
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2016 19:04
I honestly haven't found any discernable difference in performance between full screen windowed and full screen exclusive in many many years.

If you are going to window it though, you definitely need to be able to unlock the mouse to be able to use it freely.

A single player RPG featuring a branching, player driven storyline of meaningful choices and multiple endings alongside challenging active combat and intelligent AI.
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2016 11:12
Now downloading and testing
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2016 15:10
Most of what has already been mentioned, the controls rotate the character the wrong way. I wanted to take a screenshot some minor text spacing issues but because you lock and hide the mouse when the window is not focused I could not carry out the operation.

The performance was good, 60fps.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 23:18:24
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 23:18:24