Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Disadvantage of the steam bundle ?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi !
Is there a disadvantage if I buy the The Game Creators Collection
compared to the AppGameKit - Premium Pack ?

I ask, because the bundle is about 70 % off from regular Price (not 35% as stated )

I see that it's distributed via steam key - but is there a disadvantage compared to download ?

Can i download it from steam as well ?
Or am i forced to use it while having steam running or just on a Cloud/web base ?

Thank you for an answer !

Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2017 18:18 Edited at: 21st Feb 2017 18:22
at tgc direct or at steam, both are good offers with little bit different content.

steam apps associated with your steam account, if you start it there is always a steam service in background
but is seems you can start the agk editor exe (ide) without steam direct from folder.
advantage of steam are the software updates , disadvantage is the steam dependence.
my experience with steam over some years, they have a very good service.

just saw at tgc web site
Quote: "Please note, this bundle is supplied as a Steam key which will unlock the bundle for you on Steam. "
AGK (Steam) V2017.01.09 : Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit : AMD (16.12.1) Radeon R7 265 : Mac mini OS Sierra (10.12.2)
Increase
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you for the quick and detailed Response !

I think I will bite into the sour apple and buy the download Version, since i like independency.

And well, if the Software will be as useful at it Looks at first view, the apple won't be that sour at all.
easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Dota 2
Posted: 21st Feb 2017 22:32
Quote: "but is seems you can start the agk editor exe (ide) without steam direct from folder. "

That is correct. I have a shortcut on my desktop to the exe which I use when I'm not logged into my main steam account.

My Games - Latest WIP - My Website: Immortal.Digital - FB - Twitter
130,000 installs with AppGameKit and counting
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2017 15:10
Regardless of which copy you buy, from steam or directly from TGC website, you'll have to download it through Steam (horrible).

Yes you can start the app directly without Steam, but there is a part of steam that still seams to run along with it. I'd have to go home and see to remember what file I saw showing up.

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2017 16:26 Edited at: 22nd Feb 2017 16:27
Quote: "but there is a part of steam that still seams to run along with it"

No, if you run the IDE directly, steam doesn't run. If you use the AppGameKit shortcut provided on installation, then steam will run. Steam won't run on my work laptop and I can get AppGameKit to run directly by running the IDE.. (Which for me is located here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\App Game Kit 2\Tier 1\Editor\bin\AGK.exe)

Plus in the Build > Build Options menu, there is a checkbox for disabling steam integration,
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2017 16:51 Edited at: 22nd Feb 2017 16:52
i think other apps or games using steam api also as copy protection, so maybe in future tgc/agk can do this too and steam will run in background.
AGK (Steam) V2017.01.09 : Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit : AMD (16.12.1) Radeon R7 265 : Mac mini OS Sierra (10.12.2)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 10:31:13
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 10:31:13