Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers AppGameKit Corner / AGK2 Tier 1 Limitations

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Genres: Action, MOBA, FPS, Fighting, TBS, RTS, Puzzle.
Posted: 10th Mar 2017 13:45
what are the limitations in tier 1?
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2017 17:37
Your imagination.

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
Quell Dieu
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Genres: Action, MOBA, FPS, Fighting, TBS, RTS, Puzzle.
Posted: 10th Mar 2017 19:26
that kinda makes sense, but for a beginner its kinda impossible XD
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2017 04:52
I've only really dealt with 2D so far. Haven't touched 3D at all so I can't comment on what's available.

Is there something specific you were wanting to achieve?

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Dota 2
Posted: 14th Mar 2017 22:02 Edited at: 14th Mar 2017 22:03
limitations? Well it depends on what you wanna achieve. I mean cryptography, speech recognition, ability to code inline asm. There's plenty of things impossible to do in AppGameKit lol. However for limitations that you're likely to run into... Well AppGameKit has all based pretty well covered. You've code 2D, 3D, sound, shaders, networking, particles, analytics (firebase) and more. In making games, you aren't likely to be in need of more commands. I think the only real limit of AppGameKit Tier 1 is the fact that it's procedural, not object oriented. Classes would be my dream addition lol.
To be honest, I can't think of any limitations. The command set is comprehensive, perhaps lacking in 3D but I wouldn't know. I can't draw or model or do anything arty so I've never touched 3D. I stick to projects where I can download any media I need

I guess after writing all that, I'd have to agree with Phaelax. The only limitation is your imagination

My Games - Latest WIP - My Website: Immortal.Digital - FB - Twitter
130,000 installs with AppGameKit and counting
Jerry McGuire
Years of Service
User Offline
I read somewhere in one of the official sources that the final product is more efficient if written in C++.
I don't remember the C++ commands very well. But it's clear that tier 1 misses matrix operations that can be very useful and I believe far more efficient than loops in many situations. Matlab (the software) recommends you to use matrix or vector operations wherever possible instead of loops to make your code run faster (apparently most of the new chips have instructions for handling these operations really fast).
easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Dota 2
Posted: 28th Mar 2017 01:52
Quote: "make your code run faster"

I don't think you're likely to run into any issues with code running fast enough, unless you're writing a custom physics system or something lol. C++ will indeed be slightly faster, but the real question is do you actually need your game to run faster? If you make it in Tier 1 and get 60 FPS on a mobile, there isn't really any need to write it in Tier 2

My Games - Latest WIP - My Website: Immortal.Digital - FB - Twitter
130,000 installs with AppGameKit and counting
Carharttguy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2017 09:18 Edited at: 28th Mar 2017 09:22
The only real limitation of Tier 1 is the inabillity to extend the language.
In Tier 2: Need XML? Need UDP? Need databaseconnection? Need to connect to an USB device? All those things exists in forms of C++ libraries.

In Tier 1, you'll have to do it with the commands that exists, and if something is impossible (connect to a USB device): You just have to wait for Paul to (maybe) implement it. Or, I don't know, send them a bunch of cash or something like that. Some things, like XML is entirely possible to do on your own (or someone from the community) because it are just basic operations that are possible within AGK.

BUT: With the announcement of the possibilty to use shared libraries (DLL on Win, so on Linux, don't know on Mac) my post may become obsolete.

As Easter Bunny says, speed is a very bad argument pro C++. While it's theoretically true, it just makes no sense these days.
Also, all heavy duty graphical processing is done via commands, which are written in.. C++. CPU tasks will be indeed slower, but again, that's theory.

Unity uses JS or C#, never heard anyone complaining about speed.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2017 03:15
Quote: " Some things, like XML is entirely possible to do on your own (or someone from the community) "

You mean like this? https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/219044

Some things in Tier 1 would just take more work, but many things in Tier 1 are also way easier. The only real limitation are things you can't directly access, such as USB devices as Carharttguy said. But you can access the GPIO pins on raspberry pi.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 18:27:08
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 18:27:08