Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Public voice communication in video games. The best thing since sliced bread, or the worst thing sliced jeans?

Author
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2017 14:01
When it is good, it is great. When it is bad, it is majorly horrendous; like literally a disease for your ears.

Now there are a number of opinions featured on Reddit, Twitter, Facebook, Google etc; but what's yours.

I am quite uncertain when it comes to the Pros and Cons.

I personally like hearing exciting reactions and funny jokes in all decency, and the odd prank. The comradery amongst players can be enhanced by the more natural form of communication.

On the other hand, when a disturbing group of 10 or more loud children with microphones make entry into a point in a game, all kinds of hell breaks loose; weird noises, bad singing, horrendously bad jokes, sexist and racist slurs get screamed down your headphones on a constant basis. RIP background music, RIP listening to your surroundings for potential attacks.

You have a mute feature, but for some players it is quite undesirable to have to keep muting people who spam new accounts after being frequently banned.
What do you think? Do you prefer games with, or without public voice communication. This does not include third party tools, like Discord, for communicating with team mates in competitive gaming.

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2017 02:33
It's gotta be the sliced jeans!
Yes!
easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Dota 2
Posted: 1st Jul 2017 03:40
For me it depends on the game. I have voice permanently muted in csgo. I find there's no reason at all to have it on, mostly because I'm so bad at the game I don't know what anybody's talking about anyways
In Dota 2 on the other hand I just mute players who are annoying or abusive. It's pretty fun to joke around with other players and you can also get some good teamwork going which is important in a game like Dota.

I'd say it's a great thing, but should definitely not be made an essential part of the gameplay. Ie you should lose absolutely nothing by muting everybody

My Games - Latest WIP - My Website: Immortal.Digital - FB - Twitter
130,000 installs with AppGameKit and counting
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2017 14:14 Edited at: 7th Jul 2017 14:15
Quote: "It's gotta be the sliced jeans!"

lol

Quote: "I have voice permanently muted in csgo"

It's funny you should mention that game lol.

Quote: "I'd say it's a great thing, but should definitely not be made an essential part of the gameplay. Ie you should lose absolutely nothing by muting everybody"

I agree

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 05:30:00
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 05:30:00