Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / So, I started a company and made a thing.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2017 07:23 Edited at: 30th Jun 2017 07:28
Hi all, it's been a while between drinks here. I still scoot around from time to time on the 2D forums, but I've been rather busy for the last two years!

Here's the story.

------------------

In 2014 I started a job teaching Game Design. I'd been making games professionally since 2007, and decided I wanted to give something back. During my time teaching, I started an internal project at the college, based around a big need. We had students all over Australia, and most of them had no access to a classroom. They'd study from home, lose inertia, drop out.

So I made a live classroom in VR. Students could connect with an Oculus Rift, talk to other students and teachers in a beautiful environment, and study their course material.

It was a fantastic tool, and the college soon green-lit development. It was short lived, however, as the college was on the bad end of some negative (and arguably deserved) press. They shuttered the project after 3 months. I was bummed, but a seed had been planted in my brain.

The big thing I discovered was that even though we were in a beautiful 3D world, and students could learn in groups, the learning content was still 2D. All of it, even the 3D modelling components, were displayed as PDF's or PowerPoint presentations. If we wanted to recreate our course material natively for a 3D space, that would take an impossible amount of time and resources. The problem was that the tools for sharing knowledge in 3D didn't exist.

I took a Friday off work, locked myself in my study, and started coding. By the end of the weekend, I had my prototype.

It was the very first Jig. It wasn't much to look at, but it was the beginning - I had created a tool that allowed you to make 3D instructions for anything. I quickly enlisted my older brother to put together a server to host and serve these 3D instructions, and we fleshed out a proper proof of concept. I took a week off work, and got stuck in.

My plan was to take it to Oculus Connect (the big VR conference for the Oculus platform), and show it to people. I reached out to a few companies and startup accelerators, but only one responded - Boost VC, and they wanted to meet me. I scrambled together the final parts of my prototype, working up until 3 hours before my flight in a mad attempt to get ready.

The investor told me, "it's not the best demo I've ever seen, but I like the idea". He invited me to apply for their accelerator, suggesting we were "a good fit".

I phoned my friend Numa, who had worked with me on the VR classroom at the college, and asked him:

"I know that I need codes but I dont know the codes".

He accepted the role of CTO, and we were now a team of three.

Fast forward to January 2016. We landed in San Francisco, home of Silicon Valley, to start the most intense, gruelling, and purposeful period of my life. The outcome?

JigSpace - Create and share interactive, 3D instructions for anything.

You can see my pitch, full of Red Bull and nerves, to a room of 200 investors. Folks, I was terrified.

Fast forward another year, and here we are! Two months ago we gave a talk at Microsoft Build 2017 (check out the video here), and also released the final part of the JigSpace platform.

The Jig Workshop.

This is the tool that lets you create Jigs. It's at the very heart of the JigSpace platform, and every single one of the 150 odd Jigs on jig.space/explore were created with it. All the way from the simple, early Jigs (Change a flat tyre), to our latest and most complex ones (Manual Transmission).

Finally, this tool is available to everyone. You can download it at jig.space/create, import models from your computer, or play around with ones in the Model Store.

The best part? It's free. Our vision is to create a world where you can ask "How does that work?", and the answer is immediately available in 3D, on the device you have with you. We can only do that with a community of people sharing what they know. In short, we're indexing humanity's knowledge in 3D.

So there you have it! Please go have a look around our website, make a few Jigs, and break stuff. 17 years ago my dad handed me the DBC trial on a CD, and I was hooked. I'm very proud of what we've built, and I'd love to get feedback from the community that got me started.

TL;DR - I need a holiday.

Cheers,
Greenlig (aka, Zac)
JigSpace
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2017 20:28
Seems like a neat idea, I'll be taking a look!
http://games.joshkirklin.com/sulium

A single player RPG featuring a branching, player driven storyline of meaningful choices and multiple endings alongside challenging active combat and intelligent AI.
greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2017 04:31
Thanks Ortu, it's been a labour of love

Let me know how you go. We're pushing a massive new update this afternoon (fingers crossed), that will make the UX heaaaps better.
JigSpace
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2017 14:20 Edited at: 7th Jul 2017 14:21
Quote: "So I made a live classroom in VR. Students could connect with an Oculus Rift, talk to other students and teachers in a beautiful environment, and study their course material. "

Now that sounds like a good opportune idea. Study and learn from a teacher amongst classmates from anywhere in the country, or the world, without having to attend the class. Just connect virtually. Could be a big thing.
greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2017 08:18
Quote: "Study and learn from a teacher amongst classmates from anywhere in the country, or the world, without having to attend the class. Just connect virtually. Could be a big thing."

That was the idea. I still think it's a good one, but it would need to much infrastructure and hardware uptake that it won't happen for a while. If someone was well funded, and started now, they would definitely be in the front position when VR really hits in ~5 years.
JigSpace
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2017 13:16
I see. Well, keep at it and might just find a solution to make it work for you, or perhaps a superior idea may arise from this one.
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2017 01:17
Quote: "If someone was well funded, and started now, they would definitely be in the front position when VR really hits in ~5 years."
Hey, you never know, it could be you!
Yes!
greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2017 05:04
Quote: "Hey, you never know, it could be you!"

You've uncovered my master plan

Also, if you're interested, here's a video of JigSpace with ARKit. It's pretty incredible what we've built, I'm still blown away by the tracking they've achieved with a single RGB camera!!!

JigSpace
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2017 11:09
Astonishing!
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2017 19:38 Edited at: 14th Jul 2017 19:38
WOW! That's really cool!

Where can I buy some JigMilk?
Yes!
greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2017 03:23
Haha, thanks! It is very cool. The best part is all those Jigs were created with the Jig Workshop, and are exactly the same across all devices. This is going to be massive

JigMilk will be coming soon to a store near you
JigSpace
Stab in the Dark software
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Badges, I don't need no stinkin badges
Posted: 25th Jul 2017 18:19
Bug report. Your website is not working in Internet explorer.
It gets stuck loading!
The coffee is lovely dark and deep,and I have code to write before I sleep.
greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2017 09:24 Edited at: 30th Jul 2017 09:25
Quote: "Bug report. Your website is not working in Internet explorer.
It gets stuck loading!"

Innnteresting. Internet Explorer or Edge? I don't think we've....ever tested it with IE heh. If it keeps happening, get the dev console up and paste it here. To be honest, it could be IE's implementation of webGL, it's notoriously bad.

Also, check out the Jig Workshop promo-vid if you're interested

JigSpace
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2017 13:51
Very interesting tech, Greenlig!
-Keith
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2017 12:37
Nice! Having to walk to the thing you want to learn about seems a bit odd but I guess that is for implementation in places like museums. One thing I didn't understand is whether these are purely 3D slideshows or if there is also the ability to freely interact with the objects.
Formerly OBese87.
greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2017 13:10
If you have an iPhone 6s or newer, you can see for yourself

We launched with iOS 11 about 2.5 months ago, and we just passed 130k users! It's been an insaaaaane couple of months.
JigSpace
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2017 17:03
Congrats

A single player RPG featuring a branching, player driven storyline of meaningful choices and multiple endings alongside challenging active combat and intelligent AI.
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2017 00:56
Fantastic!
greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2017 03:51
Thanks I'll keep this thread updated with the journey if anyone is interested. Things are always moving and evolving, I think there will be some more cool news coming soon...
JigSpace
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2017 19:21
Quote: "Also, check out the Jig Workshop promo-vid if you're interested"

Very nice, and very impressive.

Quote: "We launched with iOS 11 about 2.5 months ago, and we just passed 130k users! It's been an insaaaaane couple of months."

This is only the beginning of a fantastic journey my friend.

You hit the target on this one, and the jackpot is coming.

Coding things my way since 1981 -- Currently using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2017 21:12
I think you've found the future education tool. I'm usually the first one to say "what good is that for?" and the last one to pick up on tech trends (I said the first iphone was a pointless gimmick....) But this I totally see a future for. And I think you're doing the smartest thing that some other innovators have failed to do in the past, and that's opening up your tool to be used by anyone rather than trying to corner it in some proprietary manner.
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Purple Token - Free online hi-score database
Legend of Zelda

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2017 00:35
The only thing that I don't like is the first half of the name....JIG

I think I know what definition of JIG you are intending, but the other meanings are what turn me off to the word in general.

The Jig is up. (as in a devious plot or scheme)

Where are you going Jig? (like used in the movie "enter the Dragon" starring Bruce Lee)

The latter slang, which is short for Jigaboo, is historically disparaging and offensive to black people.

That is why I do not use the word except rarely in construction where the meaning would seldom be misinterpreted, and there is no substitute.

Not saying that your use is bad or won't be accepted by the masses, just that Jig is a word that some people deem negative and try to avoid.

greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2017 13:52 Edited at: 15th Dec 2017 13:53
Geeze thanks for the kind words @phaelax and @conjured! To be honest, it's coming up on three years and it's been just about the hardest thing I've ever done. Glad to see it's beginning to make an impact

As for the name...For me, Jig means three things:

1) You'll remember it. In a couple of years we'll all be asking; "Is there a Jig for that?"
2) A Jig is a tool that is used to assist production, often in wood or metal working. I really like that idea - we're making a workshop for knowledge.
3) A Jig is a little dance

That's our core right there - simple, useful, fun.

JigSpace
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2017 17:59 Edited at: 15th Dec 2017 18:05
Quote: "2) A Jig is a tool that is used to assist production, often in wood or metal working. I really like that idea - we're making a workshop for knowledge. "

That is the way I thought you were using it, and the only way I use it..

Although, I don't see a fit for this, because it is not for replication of a process.

Once you learn the process desired, then you don't need the "jig" again like a real jig that is used over and over by the same person for the same task.

Of course, the users will use this system of 3D instruction over and over again, but not for the same process, so I still think it could be named something better.

I wasn't ragging on the name, just a turn off for me and made me have to ask... "of all the freaking words in the world (even newly invented ones), why choose that one?"

I know why you chose it (definition 2 above), just thought there had to be something better, because this thing has a lot of potential and deserves the best name possible.

And I don't think that name is the best one, but that is just my two cents, and we all know it is your call, so if you are happy with it then that is all that matters.

Let's just hope the masses like it too.

Cheers

greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2017 21:56
No worries, I like hearing about how people experience the brand. Of the hundreds of thousands of people who have used it, you're the first to mention not liking the name! Hopefully that means you are in the minority hehe

Either way, it's the name we're stuck with
JigSpace
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2017 22:39 Edited at: 15th Dec 2017 22:40
Quote: "No worries, I like hearing about how people experience the brand. Of the hundreds of thousands of people who have used it, you're the first to mention not liking the name! Hopefully that means you are in the minority hehe "

Oh yeah, I have been told many times that I am "one in a million", so you may find another one of my kind when that number hits a million.

Quote: "Either way, it's the name we're stuck with"

Then I will embrace it, with the silent majority.

greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2018 12:08 Edited at: 10th Mar 2018 12:10
A quick update or two:
- We passed 300k users
- Apple featured us on www.apple.com. Not just the App Store, but actually on the front page of their site. We're also the face of AR for iOS 11 - https://www.apple.com/ios/ios-11/ Scroll down
- We made profit for the last two months!

If you have the right device, check it out. We've made maaaasssive strides since last time I posted. It's gonna be a thing
JigSpace
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2018 16:57
Congratulations! The product looks really cool and I could see schools licensing it. If it's free, how is it profitable though?
Senior Software Engineer - RotoGrinders
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2018 01:24
Quote: "- Apple featured us on www.apple.com. Not just the App Store, but actually on the front page of their site. We're also the face of AR for iOS 11"

What a fantastic accomplishment, glad to see the hard work is leading to recognition and support on a grand scale.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2018 16:51
Looks like you're headed for success. So when can I start asking to borrow money?
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Legend of Zelda

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2018 21:05
Very cool, and a big congrats!

greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2018 05:02
Quote: "Congratulations! The product looks really cool and I could see schools licensing it. If it's free, how is it profitable though?"

Thanks Jeku! We've already got a lot of students and teachers using it, so it does fit there. As for profitability, we have enterprise clients that pay a pretty penny for white-label version of the JigSpace app. It's cash-flow at a good margin so we can keep the lights on and fund the JigSpace platform. That said, the "Jig Studios" model isn't a long-term goal. We have plans around a subscription model for the public app that will be going into effect this year. Lots of strategic planning to lay it all out right, but I'm convinced we can make a big splash.

Quote: "What a fantastic accomplishment, glad to see the hard work is leading to recognition and support on a grand scale."

It is finally coming together haha. We almost died a few times over the last 2.8 years, so it's good to finally feel like the wheels aren't just spinning.

Quote: "Looks like you're headed for success. So when can I start asking to borrow money?"

Heading in the right direction is a good start....You can start asking to borrow as soon as I pay my finace back for propping my broke ass up for 8 months!

Quote: "Very cool, and a big congrats!"

Thanks Ortu

We also just hired an ex-microsoft tech guy, 25 years experience, process fanatic, incredible server engineer etc, and he's kicked our whole outfit up a notch. I was a little bit worried about it, because we've been having a blast and playing it fairly fast and loose, but his processes and rigour is taking us to the next level.

One day I'll get back to making games and art....one day...

JigSpace
Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2018 07:09
I am impressed! Congratulations and godspeed with this, greenlig.

-Wolf
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2018 16:27
Great idea greenlig. I tried the iOS app and it works really well in AR. Would you cool to have voice over, you should consider that.

I guess the devil is in the detail - the detailed 3D models and subject matter.

If you can make it as easy as possible to get artists and educators to create their own content then it should do very well.

Good luck!
Development Director
TGC Team
greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2018 05:48
Thanks Wolf, Rick.

Voice-overs are coming, it's already possible, we just want to launch it with the right Jig

As for creating own content - Jig Workshop will be launching in a few months. It's the final piece of the puzzle. While the age old "where do we get 3D content" problem is still there, we've got a good plan to overcome it, and the tool itself is really easy to use. Here's a preview:

That video is out of date now, but it shows the general use pretty well. The thing to note is that every single Jig was made in Jig Workshop. It's been battle-tested for over two years now.
JigSpace
greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2018 04:28
So, interesting things afoot... We're in the running for an Auggie award! AWE is the biggest augmented reality expo in the world, and JigSpace is up for the Best App award

The first stage is a public vote that determines the finalists. We're 100 votes short of getting in, so if you've got a second, I'd love your votes!!

It's easy to vote:
- Go here - https://auggie.awardsplatform.com/entry/vote/KAgOlNAo/ZLglmEqr
- Click the "Vote" button

Done. One click, no sign-up, 10 seconds. Go go go!

JigSpace
gamehazer
Years of Service
User Offline
Questions, Models, or should I say animated models, who makes them and with what? your application or 3ds max or blender?

I ask as I see a problem with users not knowing how to model or animate.
greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2018 06:55
Good question. The Jigs (animated 3D things) are made in our app, Jig Workshop. It allows you to bring in 3D models from the web, or from our Model Store, and create the step-by-step presentations. It's like PowerPoint for 3D. The video above shows how that's done.

We are bringing down that barrier as low as possible

JigSpace
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2018 00:17
This is a cool idea. My father and I were knocking around ideas for something similar last year, but for contractors and architects who could with GPS and a 3D presentation, to show clients their 'products' on location.
gamehazer
Years of Service
User Offline
I watched that video but assumed the model was created with other software, it does not show the model being created in the video, just shows the animated model.

Good to know, thanks.
greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2018 02:00
Quote: "This is a cool idea. My father and I were knocking around ideas for something similar last year, but for contractors and architects who could with GPS and a 3D presentation, to show clients their 'products' on location."

As soon as I can release the videos/news, you'll be able to see something just like that
JigSpace
greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2022 20:44 Edited at: 16th Apr 2022 20:51
Big necro. Was browsing the forum for some 5am nostalgia while my 8mo old daughter is learning to sleep through the night…thought I’d update this

In 2020 Jig was in the iPhone 12 keynote

Aaaand just last week our logo was on the Alfa Romeo F1 car. We’re an official partner after we helped them launch their new car in AR - https://link.jig.space/arf1

26 employees, there were two of us when I first posted here I think!!
JigSpace

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2022 03:56
When you become rich and start having cocktail parties with bezos and zuckerberg, don't forget about us little people!
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Legend of Zelda

Sph!nx
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 19th Apr 2022 14:50
Congrats on your success!
Regards Sph!nx
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2022 02:02
That's awesome! Always great to see someone succeed

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2023 14:41
@greenlig - This is very exciting stuff, congratulations! I remember following this thread a few years back when you first showed off the product. Well done!
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2023 17:16
Congratulations greenlig on getting a mention in the Apple presentation yesterday on VisionPRO! How cool is that VR tech?? It looks pretty awesome
flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2023 22:35
Looks super cool!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 12:05:31
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 12:05:31