Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / What to do about missing mail from USPS?

Author
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2017 23:34
I ordered a new phone online, close to $400. It was shipped by FedEx...... FedEx SmartPost. Which means, it ships to a local site in your town then delivers your mail to the post office to carry out the final local delivery. Now the problem, it hasn't been delivered. FedEx provided me a USPS tracking number and it says the package was to be delivered last wednesday. Here's what the tracking info says now:

We attempted to deliver your item at 6:45 pm on July 26, 2017 in COLUMBUS, OH 43211 but could not complete the delivery because the employee did not have access to the delivery location. Your item will go out for delivery on the next business day.

However, I never saw a mailman that door or even the next. The status no longer gives me a delivery date and just says pending. I went to the post office Friday and they couldn't find my package. Said the supervisor will contact the courier and call me saturday. Received no call by noon, so I went back down there. Same story. Said the supervisor will be delivering mail out to that courier later today and will inquire about the package then call me. Guess what, no phone call. I just say my mailman now and asked him directly. At first he didn't know anything, then said he left a package on my doorstep last week. So his story doesn't even match with the information updated in the tracking system, which still doesn't acknowledge it's been delivered.

So I went to the USPS website to file a claim and here's what I got:

The tracking number is not eligible for filing a claim because insurance was not available or purchased for this article.

So basically what they're saying is, they're free to steal my packages and do nothing about it because FedEx (who chose USPS not me) didn't insure it. My question is, aside from going into the office every day with less and less patience until my breaking point and I do something to define the term postal, what can I do at this point?

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2017 07:42
Quote: "At first he didn't know anything, then said he left a package on my doorstep last week."
Either he still didn't know anything, or maybe he did deliver it but someone took your package from the doorstep? I suppose it's possible the mailman never entered into his PDA that he left the package, so the system isn't telling you that it was delivered. That's the potential scenario that immediately strikes me. One time I received some stuff from USPS, and it was like 4 days before they sent me emails to confirm that it had been delivered. Not sure if that has anything to do with this sort of thing, but yeah.

Quote: "The tracking number is not eligible for filing a claim because insurance was not available or purchased for this article."
That's outright pretty crappy. They're basically saying you have no right to complain because they didn't get paid their little insurance premium. They're seeming to claim they don't have a genuine commitment to seeing it through that your mail gets delivered to you.
Yes!
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2017 10:48
Contact the online store where you purchased it. If the package is lost and although they didn't lose the package, it is still a delivery service they used and naturally, didn't insure it. Now they may be able to ship another one out for you provided you (or they) can prove it's lost. Couriers will generally be able to do an investigation for lost packages too to determine whether it's lost or not and something I would ask for in an email so you've got it in writing to forward to the store.

It's something we do at work. If a courier we've used has lost a customer's product or something, we do an investigation with the courier and if they don't find it, we sort something out for the customer. Though we have a system where we can claim from the courier ourselves, in order to do that, we have to let them do an investigation.

Unfortunately, it is something that can happen but normally there's a system in place to handle it, if not with the courier then with the store. We get it once in a while and we use one of the UK's top leading courier services.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2017 18:52
Quote: "or maybe he did deliver it but someone took your package from the doorstep?"

Quote: " it's possible the mailman never entered into his PDA that he left the package, so the system isn't telling you that it was delivered."

But he did enter something, said he didn't have access to the delivery location. And yet, he still managed to deliver my bills into my mailbox that day... I think the courier stole it.

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2017 22:01
Ooooh I see, I missed that part. I agree, sounds like they took it.
Yes!
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2017 07:13 Edited at: 20th Aug 2017 07:14
Oh right, I keep meaning to ask for an update. What came of this situation?
Yes!
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2017 02:07
Well, after 3+ weeks and still haven't gotten anywhere. A lady in charge of the region finally called me back and looked into it. Said cameras show my package being scanned into the office but from their it disappears. And she said unfortunately, the courier working my route that day is no longer around to question. Probably cause he's already in jail for stealing other stuff. Basically, the USPS is like sorry about your luck.

I bought the phone from Groupon, and I read over all the fine print. Until the package arrives in my hands, the merchant is ultimately responsible. So I contacted groupon and was instantly given a refund without any problems.

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2017 06:30
Ah, that really sucks on part of how USPS handled it. That's good though that Groupon was willing to refund you.
Yes!
easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Dota 2
Posted: 22nd Aug 2017 02:15
Quote: " So I contacted groupon and was instantly given a refund without any problems"

Glad to hear it!

My Games - Latest WIP - My Website: Immortal.Digital - FB - Twitter
130,000 installs with AppGameKit and counting
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2017 23:30
Now, I have money sitting in my paypal account that will probably charge me to transfer it back to my bank...... ugh.

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2017 23:13
Hey, guess what arrived in the mail this week? lol.

CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2017 12:25
smallg
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2017 16:43
free phone?
life's one big game
spec= 4ghz, 16gb ram, AMD R9 2700 gpu
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2017 23:48
a free phone lol

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 21:21:59
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 21:21:59