Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2017 06:48 Edited at: 31st Oct 2017 06:49

Um... Anyone ever seen DBPro just up and totally skip code for no apparent reason?

For x = 1 to h_num
weights2#(x,1) = weights2#(x,1) +(L_C * H_NEURONS#(x) * O_DELTA#(1))
// H_DELTA#(x) = H_NEURONS#(x)*(1-H_NEURONS#(x) * Weights2#(x,1) * O_DELTA#(1))
H_DELTA#(x) = (H_NEURONS#(x)* (1-H_NEURONS#(x)) * cost#)
print H_DELTA#(x) //<-----------------------------THIS OR THE WAIT KEY comman is not working, not only that but H_DELTA Value keeps showing up as 0 like its not
wait key // Even Seeing this section of code however the Weights2#(x,y) are showing up. I have sat here for hours to see that it seems to be not reading the code at all... WHY
next
Sedit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2017 02:49
Nevermind.... Sheesh I remember why I loved programming so much... I wrote H_NUM instead of NUM_H.... and the weights had their value from the forward propagation function. Ugg good, 4 or 5 hours down the tubes because I suck at typing sometimes.
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 6th Nov 2017 14:48
You are not alone.
EdzUp
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2017 17:49
Coding whilst tired or not engaged is a recipe for disaster
-EdzUp
Derek Darkly
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2017 00:50

I have been an amateur programmer since about 1996. and I can say from experience that 99 out of 100 times it's a programming error rather than a compiler/editor bug.

But I think we can all agree, like rats to crack, we love it so much we'll never stop coding regardless of our personal goals and/or achievements!
Send your parents to noisy sprite demo hell... enter the D-Zone
Sedit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2017 17:33
Yeah Ill prob never stop, I took a 20 year hiatus and still came back to coding..

The problem I had above was the result of me working on two similar programs but using very slightly different variable names. I meant to share the variable name because I was basically running test and I wanted to make sure the code was interchangeable. I went and made that one loop and it skipped right over it and drove me nuts for a couple days until I realized what I had done.

I think the big take away is never assure yourself you know where the error is, that is what took so long to figure it out and has been an issue on a few other programs I worked on. You spend so much time looking at something that's not the real error you become blind to the problem.
Sphere sphere = new Sphere(0.5f);
InsanelyRedundantJava insanelyredundantjava = new InsanelyRedundantJava(Redundancy1, Redundancy2);
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2017 12:31
Quote: "I think the big take away is never assure yourself you know where the error is, that is what took so long to figure it out and has been an issue on a few other programs I worked on. You spend so much time looking at something that's not the real error you become blind to the problem."

All too true in my experience - a good example is a recent thread of mine.
CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2017 13:19
That lesson can end up biting you on the bum, though. I hit an error a while back that - as you should - I assumed was my own fault. I worked on it for 2 months trying to find out what I was doing wrong (it was a large codebase) only to find out, eventually, that it WAS INDEED a compiler bug

But it's fixed now, thanks to Rudolpho, glorious man that he is
Help out a fellow dev! Download and rate my games! They're free!

Wizzed Off! - (Android) (iOS)
God of Thunder - (Android) (iOS)
Extreme Lawn Mowing - (Android) (iOS)
Drunken Heroes - (Android) (iOS)

And you can get Fluffy Knuckleduster merchandise at our new store!
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2017 14:59 Edited at: 18th Dec 2017 15:04
That is also true.

Many moons ago, in the days of programmable desktop calculators, I had programmed a complicated calculation to find the minimum of a messy function. Part of the calculation involved raising a small positive number to a positive power. For some inexplicable reason I just couldn't get my algorithm to work and spent many hours debugging/rewriting etc. I eventually tracked the problem down to that function call and noticed by carefully stepping through all the real numbers (i.e. those available to the computer's precision) that for certain values the power or exponentiation function was returning the largest possible number instead of the smallest! I checked and double checked and eventually decided the error was in one particular built-in function. At that point I assumed that there was a fault in the processor of our particular calculator. So I contacted the manufacturer's technical support people to see if I could get a replacement. The chap I spoke to was very helpful and as luck would have it had an identical machine on his desk. After a bit of discussion (you know what these help desk people are like sometimes ) he agreed to test that one line of code on his machine. To his surprise it gave exactly the same wrong answers in the same circumstances. He then informed me that meant it was probably a fault hard-wired into every HP calculator of that type and there was nothing they could do about it. So I had to carefully program around that. That is the only occasion I've encountered anything like it, 99.9% of the time the error is a programmer error of some sort. True compiler errors or limitations are more common of course - but the thing to remember is that anything man-made is liable to have a fault.

Edit: The calculator in question was something like the HP9825 featured on this page:

http://www.oldcalculatormuseum.com/hp9825a.html
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2017 02:36
Valuable lessons guys; finding the cause of the problem may take time, but the route cause can be found.
Sedit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2017 06:06
Aint that the truth. I have another recent thread here in which I was getting all sort of errors but as time went on I slowly started to notice something is seriously messed up with my machine. It started after a .NET upgrade installing one of the versions of Visual studios C++ .

I was going nuts but ever so slowly I am still to this day coming to realize.... Its gotta be a memory leak. I run DBPro for a while and after a few hours or so of coding things just start to break down with the IDE. Strange errors that dont exist when compiling, Code blocks that misplace themselves making it think lines of text are where they are not but lucky for me,... Those lines of text are mostly invisible to me unless I select them and things try to catch up to where they should be. As a result I have more grey hair then before lol.
Sphere sphere = new Sphere(0.5f);
InsanelyRedundantJava insanelyredundantjava = new InsanelyRedundantJava(Redundancy1, Redundancy2);
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2017 15:05
No matter how good you are, you'll make a typo at some point. I've always been particularly good at writing correct syntax, I think partly due to having to write pascal code by hand on paper when I was in highschool. Every semi-colon, every curly bracket..... by hand. It sucked, but I think it helped me develop a keen attention to detail. Since we had to turn in functional programs without the aid of a compiler or syntax highlighter to verify our work.
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Purple Token - Free online hi-score database
Legend of Zelda

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 13:11:14
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 13:11:14