Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / [Discussion] Browser security with cookies

Author
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2017 18:01
Ever noticed how everything you look up online suddenly gets offered in all the ads you see on other websites? Like Slashdot showing me ads for floor wax I just viewed on Amazon. I know how it works and it isn't anything new, but it's still a big privacy issue I think. Which got me thinking, why are cookies accessible to sites from which they did not originate? It seems to me like the most obvious security measure would be only to have the originating domain be able to access a cookie. Why do browsers not do this? Or is this just a google thing?

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2017 18:55
I would probably be interested in seeing whether it is something that happens in other browsers. Firefox seems to parade themselves as a browser for the web, not profit, so out of the popular choices I’d expect it to be the most likely to secure cookies from advertisement. But I only started using Firefox again recently with Quantum just come out and it seems to be performing nicely, which was an issue that had me swap from FF to Chrome before, so I am gradually making the switch back.

I would possibly hope that web developers are sensible about what they put into cookies too, but of course, no guarantee and I guess why it’s generally required for businesses to put a disclaimer on regarding cookies.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2017 21:44
I tried FF again about a month ago when they said their newest version is the fastest design yet. It was false advertising as I found it to be just as slow as it always has been. Didn't even bother to check if it was still a memory hog.

Well, I imagine these sites all use google ads, which would make sense as to how every site can read the same cookie. But as a browser, I would mark every cookie stored with it's site of origin. Don't know if that would cause any issues with companies who have sister sites relying on a cookie from the parent company or if a script in an iframe loading another site would be a bother.
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Purple Token - Free online hi-score database
Legend of Zelda

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2017 19:17
Quote: " Why do browsers not do this? Or is this just a google thing? "

My bet is that it is a Google thing. (and other sites too)

They are getting paid for the impressions, and more for the click through.

Showing an ad of something they know you are already interested in gives them a better chance of you clicking through for more revenue for them.

All about marketing, and repetition.

If they drill the image in your brain enough, you will finally justify buying that floor wax.

And if you already bought it, then it won't be long before you search/research something else for a new ad.

Coding things my way since 1981 -- Currently using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2017 21:19
Are ads even effective anymore? I can't remember the last time I even clicked on one. I'm not counting of course all the accidental clicks in mobile apps. The intrusive design of ads in apps has gotten ridiculous.
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Purple Token - Free online hi-score database
Legend of Zelda

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2017 00:21
Quote: "Are ads even effective anymore? I can't remember the last time I even clicked on one. I'm not counting of course all the accidental clicks in mobile apps. The intrusive design of ads in apps has gotten ridiculous."

Amen!

That is why I never used them.

Coding things my way since 1981 -- Currently using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2017 01:59
Aye, and on some websites they are just incredibly website breaking making it difficult to actually navigate. Thank goodness for adblockers.

Quote: "I tried FF again about a month ago when they said their newest version is the fastest design yet. It was false advertising as I found it to be just as slow as it always has been. Didn't even bother to check if it was still a memory hog."

At home, I am still programmed to use my Chrome, so not given it enough of a change yet to compare on my main system. But at work, I've been using it more and more. It's better than my previous Firefox experiences and an improvement, but versus Chrome? Hard to say. I think it's one of those things wherein their test conditions it performs better, but in practice, variable.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 13:35:47
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 13:35:47