Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Code a game competition (Nov-Jan 2018)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2017 10:42 Edited at: 16th Dec 2017 12:26
I discovered this competition. It actually sounds difficult:

https://www.syntaxbomb.com/index.php/topic,3658.msg8960.html#msg8960

I believe that many of them like App Game Kit because an App Game Kit sub-forum is there.

https://www.syntaxbomb.com/index.php/board,5.0.html
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2017 13:51 Edited at: 16th Dec 2017 22:13
The forum says there are three posts in this thread, but when I click it I see the text box, but no prior posts.

Is this a glitch or is this only available to certain people?

EDIT
Well, now I can see my own post, so I am guessing this is a forum glitch, or I caught this during getting locked or edited by a moderator.

I'll try again later.

Edit

Now I can see the original post, and I see he is a brand new member (post delay for review), so maybe the other two posts were deleted for some reason.

Anyway, that competition looks simple enough to me... retro arcade style... 320x200 screen size... and 16 color palette.

Not sure if I will be entering though, but thanks for sharing the link.

Coding things my way since 1981 -- Currently using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2017 14:51
Could be interesting. Haven't done anything with a screen that small in decades.
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Purple Token - Free online hi-score database
Legend of Zelda

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
Wingwell
Years of Service
User Offline
Phaelax wrote:

Quote: "Could be interesting. Haven't done anything with a screen that small in decades."

Hi, I am looking forward to your game!!

Wingwell
Years of Service
User Offline
Conjured Entertainment wrote:

Quote: "Now I can see the original post, and I see he is a brand new member (post delay for review), so maybe the other two posts were deleted for some reason.

Anyway, that competition looks simple enough to me... retro arcade style... 320x200 screen size... and 16 color palette.

Not sure if I will be entering though, but thanks for sharing the link."

Hello, yes, the second post and the third post are my posts and they are mistakes. The Moderator deleted them.

I want to tell you that there is a new deadline in this competition, 20 Jan 2018. You will have enough time to design and write your game!

https://www.syntaxbomb.com/index.php/topic,3658.msg10195.html#msg10195
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2017 21:42 Edited at: 19th Dec 2017 21:43
Quote: "I want to tell you that there is a new deadline in this competition, 20 Jan 2018. You will have enough time to design and write your game! "

I might give it a go.

I played around a little today, thinking that I might start my app by letting the user pick the 16 color palette.

Not sure if they will allow that, but it was just a thought.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2017 08:28

Here's a way to use palette mapped display in PlayBASIC

PlayBASIC To HTML5/WEB - Convert PlayBASIC To Machine Code
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2017 00:21 Edited at: 22nd Dec 2017 00:31
Well, they said no to letting the user define the colors to be used.

So day 1 was a waste, but day 2 yielded 14 baddies and 12 sound effects generated in code !

Drawing these animated bad boys.

Now i have to work on my font, and then get a star field backdrop, so I can generate a terrain.

I have a lot of work to do if this media file is going to contain the bytecode only and no other files.

I hope some other people here join in so AppGameKit gets represented well.

Attachments

Wingwell
Years of Service
User Offline
Kevin Picone wrote:

Quote: "Here's a way to use palette mapped display in PlayBASIC"

You have made a nice tutorial. Are you making a game to the competition.?
Wingwell
Years of Service
User Offline

Quote: "I played around a little today, thinking that I might start my app by letting the user pick the 16 color palette. "

Your idea is very innovative.

Quote: "Well, they said no to letting the user define the colors to be used. "

Their decision is not too good!

Quote: " but day 2 yielded 14 baddies and 12 sound effects generated in code ! Drawing these animated bad boys. "

Really nice!

Quote: "I hope some other people here join in so AppGameKit gets represented well. "

Not easy. A lot of App Game Kit users are busy in Dec and Jan. I think that other participants also don't have too much time in making their entries. Therefore, the qualities of their entries may not be too excellent. You may have a good chance to win at last.

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2017 00:27 Edited at: 24th Dec 2017 12:06
Quote: "Your idea is very innovative. "

Thanks

I wanted to let the user choose since the colors are so few, but oh well, they are going to get stuck with my palette now.

Someone in their forums asked about fonts, and I got the bright idea to draw my text so I wouldn't have a custom font in the media folder.

I didn't want to use a system font either, so to make it all my own, drawing was really my only option. (painfully tedious)

Quote: "You may have a good chance to win at last. "

lol I doubt that

They are letting the forum members vote, instead of having judges, so as the outsider noob... 'forget about it'.

As for time... I am doing my entry with everything generated in code. (images, animations, sounds, even text!)

Much more time consuming to draw every frame of animation rather than loading image files for sprites.

So, I have a lot of work to do in a little amount of time, but it should be fun even though I don't expect to win. (nice break from my current projects)

I have a few placement tweaks for the text, but I think most of that is done, so I can move on to the fun stuff now.

I was just hoping some more AppGameKit users would compete, so I wouldn't have to represent AppGameKit on my own.

I'm not sure if I can show off AppGameKit well enough, so I didn't want to let TGC and Paul down being the only entry.

AGK vs Blitz3D -       -       -       - and other game making tools/engines.

I know there's a lot of AppGameKit users here that can WIP up a decent game in less than a month. (calling all AppGameKit Master Badge recipients )

Attachments

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2017 23:30 Edited at: 30th Dec 2017 09:20
Quote: "Could be interesting. Haven't done anything with a screen that small in decades."

Me too, and that was the main reason I wanted to participate in this 'retro' contest.

Also the reason why I opted to draw all my graphics in code rather than use pre-made images for sprites.

Now, all that was for naught as it seems they are allowing people to use 640x400 or even 1280x800 resolutions.

What the heck man, why say 320x200 if you don't mean 320x200???

Wingwell
Years of Service
User Offline

Quote: "lol I doubt that
They are letting the forum members vote, instead of having judges, so as the outsider noob... 'forget about it'. "

oh....Outsider? Are you sure?

After searching for information of their forum, I find some information of their Halloween game competition held a few months ago.

https://www.syntaxbomb.com/index.php/topic,3640.msg8716.html#msg8716

https://www.syntaxbomb.com/index.php/topic,3592.msg8567.html#msg8567

I guess that the champion is not an "insider" because his game was written in BBC BASIC.

I believe that those "insiders" really don't know too much about this BBC BASIC.

Quote: " I was just hoping some more AppGameKit users would compete, so I wouldn't have to represent AppGameKit on my own.
I'm not sure if I can show off AppGameKit well enough, so I didn't want to let TGC and Paul down being the only entry. "

After reading some of their discussions, I discover that they are making their games with App Game Kit!!!

https://www.syntaxbomb.com/index.php/topic,3658.msg9180.html#msg9180

https://www.syntaxbomb.com/index.php/topic,3658.msg9429.html#msg9429

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2018 17:13 Edited at: 1st Jan 2018 17:18
Quote: "After reading some of their discussions, I discover that they are making their games with App Game Kit!!!"

Interesting

I knew some of them were coming to the Dark side, but I didn't know if they were intending to use AppGameKit for the contest.

I guess we will know for sure at the deadline.

Gotta whole lotta drawing going on...

Attachments

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2018 23:28 Edited at: 18th Jan 2018 23:31
ALIEN KING

... has entered the contest and can be found in a ZIP file at the syntaxbomb.com showcase forum.

Thanks for this notice about the contest, and I hope you have fun playing my contest entry.

CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2018 10:49
I wish I'd seen this post sooner. I don't venture out of AppGameKit Chat very much.
Wingwell
Years of Service
User Offline
Conjured Entertainment said:

Quote: "ALIEN KING

... has entered the contest and can be found in a ZIP file at the syntaxbomb.com showcase forum.

Thanks for this notice about the contest, and I hope you have fun playing my contest entry."

I downloaded and played your game. Nice game and good fun. In addition, the art style of the game is quite different from the styles of other participants' entries. Creative!

I remember that this retro game competition started in mid-November but you started making your entry in mid-December.

The other participants had about 2 months but you only had about 1 month. Your entry should have been more perfect if you also had the same amount of time...no doubt.

Wingwell
Years of Service
User Offline
CJB said:

Quote: "I wish I'd seen this post sooner. I don't venture out of AppGameKit Chat very much. "

No problem. Their new programming compeition may start in Feb 2018:

https://www.syntaxbomb.com/index.php/topic,4006.0.html
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2018 04:09
Quote: "I downloaded and played your game. Nice game and good fun. In addition, the art style of the game is quite different from the styles of other participants' entries. Creative!

I remember that this retro game competition started in mid-November but you started making your entry in mid-December.

The other participants had about 2 months but you only had about 1 month. Your entry should have been more perfect if you also had the same amount of time...no doubt. "

THANKS!

Yeah, 1 month seemed like plenty of time, but my decision to draw all the stuff in code definitely took more time than I thought it would.

I am glad people liked the graphics though, even thought they were not as 'retro' as the others.

I will definitely try to get a better entry in the next competition.

Wingwell
Years of Service
User Offline

Quote: "I will definitely try to get a better entry in the next competition. "

Yes, good!

And good luck!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 21:36:12
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 21:36:12