Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / .tech domains for cheap

Author
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2017 14:57
I know, thread title sounds like spam. But I thought some folks here might be interested in a tech domain. I saw an ad on slashdot (i know, I clicked an ad!) The deal is for a 10yr subscription. I priced it out on some different registrars, like godaddy, and it's over $600. So I figure $4/yr is a decent deal, for any domain really. I bought one for zimnox, just waiting for the nameservers to update. If you do buy it, you'll get a promo code to use on get.tech (i think that was the address), but just be careful when checking out or you'll pay $90 for private registration. (I opted out of that) I'll probably transfer it over to my host eventually.

https://deals.slashdot.org/sales/radix-tech-domain-10-year-subscription
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Purple Token - Free online hi-score database
Legend of Zelda

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2017 14:20 Edited at: 22nd Dec 2017 14:24
GoDaddy is usually very competitive in pricing.

Radix's price sounds 'to good to be true', so I think I will wait to see how yours works out.

I see the promotion ends in 3 days, so I'm not sure if you will get your nameservers updated in time, but we'll see.

I may not even get a tech domain though, because a quick search just revealed my desired name is already taken. (by one of those name hording redirect sites )

Thanks for the heads up though, because if it is legit, then it is a super great deal, especially for the long term.

Coding things my way since 1981 -- Currently using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2017 03:46
The name servers updated very quickly for me, only about half an hour I'd say before I got it to start pointing at my host.

http://zimnox.tech
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Legend of Zelda

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Sounds like a good deal. I have been with Namecheap for a decade after GoDaddy held some domains hostage and other frustrations. Namecheap is offering 1-year .tech for $0.88 on special, but then it jumps way up to $45/yr. after the initial year so hardly a savings and I don't think it's a "locked in" price at the cheap rate. Namecheap does offer privacy WHOIS for $0.99 a year (I use WGSPECIAL coupon code which always works).
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2018 06:18
99 cents a year is cheap for privacy! I think having to pay to keep your info private is ridiculous in the first place. I don't think that info should be public knowledge.
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Legend of Zelda

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2018 07:55
I am glad I stopped using GoDaddy, when I had card issues on my account, they played domain hostage. £70 to reactivate it, it wasn’t even worth that much. So I didn’t reactivate and now use other hosts. Plus around the time, I heard other bad things about them. Good tactic GoDaddy, I was actually satisfied with the service, it was your poor business ethic that made me go elsewhere.
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2018 17:06 Edited at: 10th Mar 2018 17:08
Be careful when buying "cheap" third-party TLDs! I purchased two .sucks domains for a laugh (got my first name and another one). I thought it would be funny to use that for an email, and it was $30 a year. By the time it was up for renewal I got an email warning me that it would be automatically renewed on my credit card--- sure, why not? The email didn't have a price. When I checked my credit card statement each registration was $2600 USD! So, altogether I was charged $5200 USD just for 2 domain names. Talk about a bait and switch! I reamed them on Twitter and threatened to do a credit card chargeback. Thankfully they had a 30-day refund policy so I didn't have to get my bank involved. The scammiest part was the registrar (Rebel) didn't put the renewal price in the email, so they assume people won't check and they might not notice.... somehow that their card was charged $2600 per item.

In the end my card was almost maxed out and it was right around Christmas. The card took 7 business days to refund, so I was stressed for a week. Not fun.
Senior Software Engineer - RotoGrinders
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2018 01:25
Quote: "When I checked my credit card statement each registration was $2600 USD! So, altogether I was charged $5200 USD just for 2 domain names. Talk about a bait and switch!"

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2018 03:37
Sounds like I should transfer them to my other registrar just to be safe.
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Legend of Zelda

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 02:52:46
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 02:52:46