Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / Audio protection/packaging dilemma

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2017 04:30 Edited at: 25th Dec 2017 05:13
Good day folks, and happy holidays to you all.

I have a bit of a problem at the moment, and am hoping someone here can help me out.
I recently contracted a musician to score the soundtrack for my game in .ogg format. I stream the music using the Enhanced Audio plugin.

The problem I have come across, however, is that part of the licensing agreement states:
"The soundtrack must be protected via some form of packaging or encryption."

Now, I have honestly not come across any way to do this, and am hoping that someone here might know of some kind of a solution for this.

Please note that I do not wish to pack the entire game using programs like V-packer or Smartpacker pro, as I have run into other problems when having to access outside and user-created files, but only wish to package/encrypt my audio and 3D resources.

Thank you in advance.
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2017 03:38
A password protected .zip is probably sufficient to fulfill the agreement. I'm pretty sure I've seen a .zip plugin around here
http://games.joshkirklin.com/sulium

A single player RPG featuring a branching, player driven storyline of meaningful choices and multiple endings alongside challenging active combat and intelligent AI.
Kafoolwho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2017 04:34 Edited at: 26th Dec 2017 08:05
Thank you, Ortu! Yes, I believe that is exactly what I need. I'll track down the plugin and give it a try. Thanks again!

Edit:
Sadly this was a no-go. I found several compression and packaging libraries, but only two had working links: Zlib.dll and DBpacker.
The Zlib plugin does not support password protected zips.
Dbpacker works great on XP systems, but on Vista and upwards, it takes up to two minutes just to load resources from a 207kb package.
I suppose I will have to rethink all this...
zero32
Years of Service
User Offline
i found two plugins on http://dbcc.zimnox.com/?page=resources. my they be helpfull for you.

https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/93816 <- GameCrypt ~Mnemonix - Encrypts your game's data
https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/106715 <- Decompress Plugin ~Zappo - A DLL wrapper for the built-in Windows decompression system.

you also could make a custom file format using memblocks.
"It is only slightly easier than changing all sugar in a cake into stevia after it has already been baked" -Bisqwit
James H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2017 09:56
Did you check this out? I just compiled the example under U7.7RC7 and it seems fine.

Also FPSC had some use for this kind of thing built into DBP, I had an example stored away but seem to have lost it, however when looking through my browser bookmarks I saw this. Oddly enough it's in a thread about zlib lol.

Perhaps worth looking into if you haven't already.

Seasonal Greetings to all

Win 7 Pro 64 bit SP1, AMD A4-5300 APU 3.4GHz, 8GB DDR3, NVidia GeForce GTX 750 1GB GDDR5, ASUS A55BM-E
Kafoolwho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2017 10:14
@zero32, thank you for the suggestions. I have tried both, and neither are what I am looking for. Gamecrypt is mostly for encrypting save files and the like, and the decompress plugin has no security to it, so anyone can basically just decompress the files. But thank you nonetheless.

@James H
That's what I need! Thank you! I just tested the rar plugin and it does the job beautifully. Many thanks!
Also, I'll take a look at the undocumented DBP handling of zip files that you linked. It could be extremely useful.
Kuper
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Planescape:Torment
Posted: 26th Dec 2017 17:45
Zip with password is best solution IMHO.I use Enhancements plugin for that. I didn't look for differences between it and those which zero32 posted.
Kafoolwho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2017 19:18
The Enhancements plugin is something I have wanted to get my hands on for a while, but sadly I have been unable to find it anywhere.
Kuper
Years of Service
User Offline
Kafoolwho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2017 22:55
Thank you, but the Enhancements plugin is not there...only enhanced Animation.
Kuper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2017 23:05
Sorry I thought Ive uploaded it. I will add it soon
Kafoolwho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2017 23:29
Not a problem. It would be great to finally get a hold of that elusive plugin!
Kuper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2017 10:41
@Kafoolwho
I add Enhancements pack to the download page.
Works fine for me with both DBProEx and original compiler.
Kafoolwho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2017 20:53 Edited at: 28th Dec 2017 21:08
Thank you, Kuper! I shall download it shortly.

Edit:
Got it, and it works great! Thanks again.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 07:23:29
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 07:23:29