Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / All these old dead websites...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2018 13:14
Starting going through all the Newsletters. (on #25 now)

So much knowledge lost on sites that have shut down.

Oh! That sounds interesting...click. NO DNS ENTRY.

Wonder if the "Wayback" machine archive.org can be any help.
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2018 14:53
Sometimes it is, it's pretty hit or miss, particularly on downloads or attachments though
http://games.joshkirklin.com/sulium

A single player RPG featuring a branching, player driven storyline of meaningful choices and multiple endings alongside challenging active combat and intelligent AI.
Sedit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2018 00:30
Speaking of.... WTF is this?

http://darkgdk.com/?f=introduction

Its trying to sell DarkGDK for 60$.... Why is it trying to sell open source stuff that's free for 60$. A friend of mine was looking into DarkGDK because I told him I like it and he returned to me asking why it was 60$.... Is this a left over website someone "forgot" or is someone attempting to pull some bullshit scam on people? It links to this forum btw.
Sphere sphere = new Sphere(0.5f);
InsanelyRedundantJava insanelyredundantjava = new InsanelyRedundantJava(Redundancy1, Redundancy2);
Kuper
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Planescape:Torment
Posted: 25th Jan 2018 21:05
Yes, wayback machine provide old TGC website with downloads.
Otherside many of websites which belong to TGC users use the free hosting and were deleted.
So I can only give advice: backup all useful data which you find ( code,shaders, tech demos)
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2018 21:37
Gdk wasn't always free open source, it was a sold product at one point. The site was probably just never taken down/updated
http://games.joshkirklin.com/sulium

A single player RPG featuring a branching, player driven storyline of meaningful choices and multiple endings alongside challenging active combat and intelligent AI.
Zep
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2018 23:37 Edited at: 25th Jan 2018 23:45
Did TGC make any of the DARK-* DLLs available? My version says I have valid certificates for a lot of them, but the actual icon is in greyscale, which I assume means I don't have the DLL, like DarkCLOUDS for instance, i try DC INIT in a program and get unrecognized command.

If they are available, where to download them?
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2018 05:24 Edited at: 28th Jan 2018 05:25
It is agonizing just how much data vanishes each year due to abandoned hosts and domains. The saying that "Once on the Internet, always on the Internet" is hogwash. I'd estimate that at least half of all my bookmarks that are 5+ years old are now defunct and the ones that I bookmarked a decade or more ago are almost entirely gone.

Archive.org is lousy for retrieving most database-driven and dynamic content as well as files themselves. These forums alone are at least the third incarnation of such (darkbasic.co.uk and RealGameTools were the predecessors and very rich in years of content that is now all lost and forgotten). I have been a member to many forums that simply up and vanished without notice and never mirrored or cloned, some with hundreds of thousands of posts that were not archived anywhere.

I often find myself going on long nostalgic binges of trying to dig up old sites I have fond memories of and have a limited success rate. Archive.org itself didn't start archiving sites until years after WWW was popularized, so there is an even larger sector of completely unindexed content lost forever.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2018 15:58 Edited at: 5th Feb 2018 15:59
In case anyone was curious, I had organized and backed up the first 100 newsletters many years ago. I've sorted out links to the ones with tutorials among other things to make it easier to navigate the info. I've also converted them into PDFs. Some of the earlier newsletter may be missing graphics. This was due to the graphics of those volumes no longer being archived by TGC at the time when I started backing them up.

http://dbcc.zimnox.com/?page=newsletters
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Purple Token - Free online hi-score database
Legend of Zelda

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
Kuper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2018 07:21 Edited at: 6th Feb 2018 07:21
@Phaelax great job!!!
I miss those times when newsletter was realised every new month.When DBPro was supported they were relly interesting to read.
Do you remember DarkFoliage project?
Zep
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2018 08:02
Quote: "I had organized and backed up the first 100 newsletters many years ago."

Nice, I recently went thru all 100+ of them from the TGC website just a week or 2 ago.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2018 13:33
Quote: "Do you remember DarkFoliage project?"

Was it something kind of like SpeedTree?
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Legend of Zelda

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
Kuper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2018 15:21
@Phaelax
It was like system to load and render up to 1 million trees.You can find some early demos.
James H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2018 02:39
Phaelax you seem to be missing issue 91

Win 7 Pro 64 bit SP1, AMD A4-5300 APU 3.4GHz, 8GB DDR3, NVidia GeForce GTX 750 1GB GDDR5, ASUS A55BM-E
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2018 18:54
poppycock I tell ya!

http://dbcc.zimnox.com/newsletter/tgc_newsletter_91.pdf

I just forgot a link to it :p Fixed!
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Legend of Zelda

Robbie
Years of Service
User Offline
www.darkgdk.com is a different product to the DarkGDK created by TheGameCreators. It was originally called PureGDK and designed to work with PureBasic.
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 3rd Mar 2018 22:39
James H

Tanks for posting the link to Newsletter 91. Couldn't resist a peek and found a link to this gem:

https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/171778

I'd completely forgotten about that game by IBOL - and amazed it worked first time.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 23:44:41
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 23:44:41