Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Strange computer issue

Author
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2018 22:34 Edited at: 23rd Feb 2018 23:51
Had my laptop at work, disconnected from any networks. It worked fine. Brought it home and now I have all sorts of issues. Display adapter isn't installed, appears to be running off the Intel adapter not nvidia, network drivers aren't installed. It takes much longer to load the desktop than it used to (which was almost instant before). I attempted to reinstall wan drivers but it still won't bring up any wifi networks. Installed lan drivers and it says connected but I have no actual network access. (I get the 169. IP address) I've tried all sorts of network resets, no luck.

It'd help if I could at least figure out what happened or what triggered this but considering it worked fine one minute and not the next, and it wasn't even connected to any networks at the time. I'm lost.

Quick update, I finally got my display to work correctly. A clean install of nvidia drivers wasn't sufficient. I had to completely remove nvidia and the intel drivers, then reinstall the laptop's intel driver first followed by nvidias. Still no luck on my network however.
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Purple Token - Free online hi-score database
Legend of Zelda

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2018 01:09
Wacky. Anything stand out in event viewer around the time this started?
http://games.joshkirklin.com/sulium

A single player RPG featuring a branching, player driven storyline of meaningful choices and multiple endings alongside challenging active combat and intelligent AI.
Zep
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2018 08:59
I worked as a lead programmer about 10 years in a holding company that owned 4 banks.

Every time, I went to this one particular bank, my laptop would be F'ed up when I returned to my home bank office. Something to do with policy changes that should only apply to the current bank network, but were applying to the local machine as well.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2018 20:20
Quote: "Wacky. Anything stand out in event viewer around the time this started?"

well that's a funny question, cause windows can't start the event process or connect to it or whatever the error message was when I boot up.

And it looks like I spoke too soon about the graphics. While I am able to get 1080 resolution now, it still can't launch the nvidia control panel because it says I'm not using it. If I reinstall, anyone know if I can still get updates for Win7?
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Purple Token - Free online hi-score database
Legend of Zelda

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2018 17:32
Yes, 7 still gets updates
http://games.joshkirklin.com/sulium

A single player RPG featuring a branching, player driven storyline of meaningful choices and multiple endings alongside challenging active combat and intelligent AI.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 15:11:53
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 15:11:53