Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Design my shed!

Author
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2018 23:43
This spring (after my yard dries out from the flood), I plan to build a shed. Nothing very large, maybe 8x8'. But I want something unique. Maybe a miniture castle? Or perhaps make it look like a giant rock? I'm looking for ideas if anyone has any.
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Purple Token - Free online hi-score database
Legend of Zelda

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
Supertino
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2018 21:35
Why don't you make a "shed designer" game and then we'll design you a shed
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2018 21:57
But then I'd have all kinds of media to create and if I did that then I'd have plenty of ideas already!
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Legend of Zelda

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2018 14:42
For a small shed like that I would suggest using a Gambrel style roof.

If you plan carefully you could use 4 foot (or less) dimensions for the wall and roof sections to build trusses for the shed.

Why 4 foot or less? because then you could use salvaged lumber to reduce costs, like pallet lumber used for shipping.

Here in the states, lots of factories and other business receive their raw materials or other supplies on pallets when it gets shipped to them.

Many of them have piles of unwanted pallets that they give away to anyone willing to haul them away.

Many pallets are made of very durable lumber like OAK, because they need to be very strong to support the weight piled on them.

Anyway, the best way to recycle is to reuse, and this could save you money as well, so it is the kind of thing I would do myself.

Coding things my way since 1981 -- Currently using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2018 15:10
A gambrel style was my initial intent But most sheds look like that.

My last shed was very small, just big enough for the mower and a few garden tools, and built from pallets. Breaking apart pallets (enough for a project this size) is in a PITA and I don't want to do it again. At my job, they have a ton of pallets, some large enough to fit jet engines (i work at an airport). However, due to legal and safety concerns, they won't allow anyone to take the pallets and instead pay a guy that comes and takes them all. Some of them are used to ship chemical barrels and if any of it was to leak into the wood, it becomes a liability problem.

Attached is a few ideas I've come across, stuff out of the norm.
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Legend of Zelda

Attachments

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2018 15:30 Edited at: 6th Mar 2018 15:40
Quote: " Breaking apart pallets (enough for a project this size) is in a PITA and I don't want to do it again."

There is a trick to that, but I will keep that a trade secret since you don't want to use pallets anyway.

You could do a round house too if you want something different. (no corners for the evil spirits)

Just drive a stake in the ground at center, and tie a string on it, then use that for the radius to lay our your circumference of the circle.

Chord wood works well for that if you don't want to use stone.

Or, you could even use cob and make a round door to make a Hobbit house.

A tapered wall on the front could give the illusion of the hill, and any type of ivy could be used to cover the roof for the ground roof illusion.

That way you could get a similar look of a hobbit house without digging in a hillside or using sod for the roof.

Just a thought, but everyone loves hobbit houses.

Oh, and don't forget about A-Frames, because they are easy and quick to build.

I like the castle Idea, but I would make an arch for the door, and make tiny windows, to give the illusion of a 2 or 3 story structure with a draw bridge door, so it would look more like a real castle from a distance.

Coding things my way since 1981 -- Currently using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2018 15:48
I considered a round design as well, but felt I'd lose too much space, or I'd have to make it even larger to fit my bike in there. I have a good spot between two trees that would be ideal for a treehouse, however, not very practical for shed. I'd never get the mower and bike in there.
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Legend of Zelda

blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2018 08:54 Edited at: 9th Mar 2018 08:54
I think you should mould your shed out of dirt.

"Jeb Bush is a big fat mistake" -- Donald Trump
https://vt.tumblr.com/tumblr_o2rvwdLLSF1rmjly4.mp4

Attachments

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2018 14:19
Interesting, but I'm not sure how waterproof that would be :p
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Legend of Zelda

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 02:43:48
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 02:43:48