Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / Busy Bees for android

Author
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2018 09:45 Edited at: 21st Mar 2018 23:08
First release of my new game for android, completely free with no ads, you can get it from the google store
leader board and achievements added
quick gameplay video.

All feedback and comments welcome, if you enjoy it please rate too, thanks
life's one big game
spec= 4ghz, 16gb ram, AMD R9 2700 gpu

Attachments

Login to view attachments
smallg
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2018 23:12
updated the first post
life's one big game
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2018 01:43
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2018 02:42 Edited at: 22nd Mar 2018 02:45
Awesome! Most enjoyable. Played for quite a while.

After 150+ bees it just kept waiting for a bee to return and it never did.

Attachments

smallg
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2018 09:55 Edited at: 22nd Mar 2018 19:14
Thanks for playing
Unlucky, I've managed to get to 250+ and not got that bug but I think the bee got stuck outside the screen so I will see if I can fix that in the next update (should be today).
Also noticed (too late) the save and load feature got broken in the latest version so need to fix that too, sorry about that.

Did you manage to unlock the achievements? I seem to have a problem with getting the hive size achievements but as yet haven't found the issue (all the others work fine).

edit; found and fixed the issues for saving (forgot to close a file when checking for updates) so the game will now autosave at each new wave so you can continue playing (though of course it won't have saved your previous game, sorry) and added an extra message for users who may accidentally hit "new game" while a save exists (saves are automatically deleted if you get 'game over' to limit leader board abuse).
Also fixed the achievements (they should all work now, if you spot any that don't please let me know).
also adjusted some sprite collision sizes to try reduce the chances of bees getting outside the screen but also added an extra check for making sure bees are inside the screen and will replace them if not (i'm using the default physics which works great for me so i can't actually reproduce the issue you reported but this should at least make the game continue in rare cases when/if it does happen again)

new version will be live in few hours after processing
ignore the current update and wait for the next one (version 1.10), i introduced a new bug which needs a quick fix
life's one big game
hoyoyo80
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice!!!!
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2018 06:29
Some suggestions;
1. Put some ads in there. Get some revenue!
2. Either shift the gameplay window down or (what i prefer) make the notifications appear at the bottom of the game. It kinda gets in the way of watching the bees
3. I would love to have a go at re skinning this game with another theme. Not to replace the game but to make another one. Let me know if you're interested
smallg
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2018 09:29
1. I don't think my mobile games reach enough people to make ads worth it, this one was just for fun as a break from my other project.

2. I don't know how to move the achievement notification bar, afaik it's set by google?

3. How will that work? You want to supply me the artwork or should I give you the game files?
It shouldn't be too hard to change theme though.
life's one big game
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2018 22:29
Quote: "3. How will that work? You want to supply me the artwork or should I give you the game files?
It shouldn't be too hard to change theme though."

Ok. I'll put some graphics together. If you could send me your graphics or the sizes so i can get an idea of the sprite sizes.
Thanks
PSY
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2018 18:12
Nice game concept. Gonna try it!

PSY LABS Games
Coders don't die, they just gosub without return
smallg
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2018 19:17
updating with a new version (version 1.11) as i noticed a few issues with the last build
- the game score is 3x as fast as you now get 3 bees and 3 pollen per honey jar (instead of 1)... much faster to reach your higher scores now.
- the bees no longer get stuck between + pattern flowers (they no longer fit)
- the app now checks for being paused (minimising the app to background) and will no longer cause the physics to fail if so (previously the bees would all nose dive back to earth upon bringing the app back to focus, ruining your turn).
- the app now requires 60fps (to solve some rare but annoying physics issues similar to the above)
- the bee sound no longer continues to play if you go back to the main menu during play (hit back button).
- improved the bounce of the side walls a little bit
- flowers register hits much better now

the new update will delete your current saves though (but as said above, it's now much faster to progress your score).

-
life's one big game
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2018 22:33 Edited at: 26th Mar 2018 01:36
At about 170+ bees it slows down considerably and i get this message. I don't think i was getting this before?
PS: This also causes less damage on the flowers. It seems that something is happening to slow down the game because it is not a gradual slow down but very suddenly when the message appears.

Attachments

smallg
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2018 10:57
thanks, yh that was part of the attempt to ensure the physics stayed accurate during outside notifications and such, the physics seems to lose all momentum if your fps drops suddenly (such as a text message notification coming on screen) and as yet i can't find a fix for it except ensuring the fps is always 60 while bees are in flight - it's also a very difficult one to test as obviously during normal testing i don't generally get much outside notifications )
the game will naturally slow down over time due to the sheer number of bees - i have adjusted the game balance to limit this and i have removed the fps check again now as it definitely causes more hassle than it's worth... if your bees fail a turn (i.e. nose dive to earth) due to a lag spike you can always quickly hit your phones back button and load your save.
also improved the pause screen again, now requires a tap on the screen to continue (this definitely ensures the physics restarts correctly during my testing).
v1.12 will be available in a few hours and should make the flow of the game back to it's old standard
life's one big game
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2018 22:59
Are you using the physics commands or do you cook your own?
smallg
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2018 00:30
Using agk physics
life's one big game
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2018 01:02 Edited at: 27th Mar 2018 01:02
If you use agk physics, how do you make the bees return to a specific position?
smallg
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2018 09:49
Quote: "If you use agk physics, how do you make the bees return to a specific position?"

It checks if they have in contact with the hive and below their starting height, then switches physics off for that bee, they don't return to the exact same location just the same height, the physics then gets turn back on when you fire them next turn
life's one big game
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2018 15:33 Edited at: 27th Mar 2018 15:36
What is this very annoying "google play games" it keeps insisting I set up to play your game? Can't play the game without sharing profile information and my age. I've never had to deal with this with any other android game before.

And now I just get stuck an endless loop of connecting to busy bees then selecting what google account to use for play games, then repeats the process. Your game looks fun, but I can't play it with this nonsense installed with it.
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Purple Token - Free online hi-score database
Legend of Zelda

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
smallg
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2018 18:29
Quote: "What is this very annoying "google play games" it keeps insisting I set up to play your game? Can't play the game without sharing profile information and my age. I've never had to deal with this with any other android game before.

And now I just get stuck an endless loop of connecting to busy bees then selecting what google account to use for play games, then repeats the process. Your game looks fun, but I can't play it with this nonsense installed with it."

it's pretty common for android apps as it's google's own service which lets you add achievements and leader boards etc - it's supported by AppGameKit tier 1 (refered to as GameCenter) so not anything harmful but yes my app does require you to log in otherwise you wouldn't post a score - the game is free and no ads so at least share a score with us
if you're stuck in a log in loop you may need to force close google game center and the busy bees app (or restart your phone).

p.s. i have no interest in your personal information but that's just google's default requirements - i believe it's used for age restrictions and targetting ads.
life's one big game
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2018 19:27
You can usually tap somewhere outside of the pop-up box and it will eventually go away after a few attempts (have not tried on this app but that has worked on others. I don't usually want to setup/ sign in either )
http://games.joshkirklin.com/sulium

A single player RPG featuring a branching, player driven storyline of meaningful choices and multiple endings alongside challenging active combat and intelligent AI.
smallg
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2018 20:28
Quote: "You can usually tap somewhere outside of the pop-up box and it will eventually go away after a few attempts (have not tried on this app but that has worked on others. I don't usually want to setup/ sign in either )"

afraid not, i purposefully coded the app to make sure you sign in... i may allow you to skip signing in later but for now i would like to see a few scores on the leader board as it's a good way to judge how well people are doing and if they enjoyed the app etc
life's one big game
smallg
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2018 18:54 Edited at: 28th Mar 2018 18:55
i needed to release a fix for the new leader board not being viewable (was active but the view leader board button was still showing the old one) so i have added in the ability to skip signing in to google play - i agree if you haven't signed up for the service it would be a bit annoying to need to do so, it will ask you to sign in when you open the app but you can just press your back button to close the prompt and after that it will only prompt you to sign in again if you do try to view the achievements or leader board (as it will be needed for that service).
will be available from v1.13 onwards.
life's one big game
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2018 19:02
I had to delete it. Sometimes I wasn't even able to force close it because the login constantly pulled focus back to the app. I had to restart the phone. I cleared the google play cache and tried again and still was unable to ever connect which just kept asking me to log in over and over. It wasn't worth my frustration any further. I used a galaxy S6 (work phone). You have an iOS version?
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Purple Token - Free online hi-score database
Legend of Zelda

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
smallg
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2018 20:46
no worries, the new version is up and available now and you can close the prompt, wasn't aware it would bring focus back from the app if it's minimised, that certainly would be a royal PITA, sorry about that! let me know if you get any further issue with it after v1.13 though.
unfortunately no, i don't have a mac.
life's one big game
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2018 23:48
Looking very good. Very stable now

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 13:55:27
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 13:55:27