Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Laptop suggestions?

Author
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2018 18:43
I wouldn't mind a MacBook but to get one with a dedicated gpu I'm looking at $2500. I can't see spending even $2k on a laptop.

features I'm looking for:
- Thin, clean design
- 4K screen, (preferably with a great color gamut)
- ssd drive (nvme preferable but not required)
- 16gb ram, or at least upgradeable to 16
- dedicated gpu
- long battery
- backlit keyboard

So far, the Lenovo yoga 720 is top of my list. I really like the MS surfacebook but it's Apple money.

Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Purple Token - Free online hi-score database
Legend of Zelda

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2018 21:17
I've been using a Surface with work for a while now and it is a nice bit of hardware, but yeah pricey.
http://games.joshkirklin.com/sulium

A single player RPG featuring a branching, player driven storyline of meaningful choices and multiple endings alongside challenging active combat and intelligent AI.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2018 18:27 Edited at: 16th Jun 2018 18:27
I really hate the keyboard on the new macbooks. If I didn't want the dedicated GPU, I'd have so many more options. But I think the Yoga is the best bang for the buck.

CPU: i7-7700HQ (2.8GHz)
Display: 15.6" 3840x2160 multi-touch anti-glare (couldn't find specific gamut numbers for the 4k screen)
Memory: 16GB
HDD: 1TB ssd (pcie not nvme )
GPU: GTX 1050 2GB

The GPU isn't anything spectacular, and I would've wished for 4GB instead, but it'll be way better than any Intel graphics.

Has a backlit keyboard, which sadly my asus was missing and found that to be annoying over time. It's also a 2-in-1, where the screen folds back so you can use it like a tablet. I tried this at the store but fount a 15" tablet just too bulky to use comfortably. In reality, I'll probably never use that feature or the touchscreen.

According to notebookcheck.net, the fan noise under maximum load is still under 40dB. And the battery life is about 8 hours of web surfing over wifi.

Price right now is $1300, which sounds like a pretty good deal to me.
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Legend of Zelda

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2018 06:22 Edited at: 18th Jun 2018 06:34
I recently upgraded my laptop to an HP ProBook, which I got for free just needed a new HDD and Ram, and been using it for my recent AppGameKit projects. Just something portable I can take my work with me wherever I wander off too.

HP also has their Omen series, which I've been eyeing as my next upgrade this year, and it has some really nice stats including; 14k screen(15-17"), 8-32GB DDR, Nvidia 2-4GB, 1-2TB SSD, 8th Gen i7, ect..and you can easily get a new one for $1k-$1.5 which is pretty cheap in my opinion.

Most reseller sites give it a 4.5 out of 5 rating on average, most citing it as the best budget gaming laptop on the market currently. Seems Best Buy has a $700 model in their stores, which is on the lower end of the specs than their higher ends, but I've yet to find something cheaper.

Oh and it's not Apple or the horribly overpriced Alienware, that's always a plus. I did a quick "build your own" on Alienware's site, and a laptop with the same specs came to $3.5k....what a waist of money.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2018 11:15 Edited at: 18th Jun 2018 11:18
The Omen looks a bit bulky compared to modern laptops, looks alienware-ish. But battery life I read sounds acceptable. And the screen didn't blow me away.

I might hold off on the laptop now, cause I just bought a new tv instead.

I could always just get the Acer Predator lol

Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Legend of Zelda

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2018 20:30
Quote: "And the screen didn't blow me away."

Honestly I don't really care about the laptop's screen when shopping around. I have a nice 4k monitor that I just connect when I want to play some SWTOR or GOG games.

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2018 13:32
If I planned on using it at a desk, I'd just stick with my desktop. I'm picky with any screen I buy. I like accurate colors and more importantly, being able to see the screen without having to tilt it at a specific angle.
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Legend of Zelda

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2018 21:21
My one regret with my ThinkPad I bought years ago was the screen, after coming from my Acer which had a pretty awesome screen...and I gave that away to my dad when I got my ThinkPad. But I haven't been in the market for a laptop in years, so I am a little out of the loop.
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2018 18:58 Edited at: 21st Jun 2018 19:00
Thought I'd share, I just got my new computer today in the mail. I guess it could be considered a "laptop" if it was setup as such, lol. Cost, $5 + s/h.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2018 13:30
Is that the wifi model? I have one (a few actually), not sure what to do with them yet.
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Legend of Zelda

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 02:29:11
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 02:29:11