Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Have your credentials been leaked?

Author
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2018 21:31 Edited at: 26th Jun 2018 21:47
An article on slashdot led me to this website:
https://haveibeenpwned.com/

It determines by your email address if your information has been breached and exposed. My old hotmail address has apparently been linked to 9 breaches, meaning 9 sites leaked my email and password used on their sites. Considering many folks use the same password for multiple sites, you can see how that can be very bad. My gmail account however only twice, due to trillian (which I don't recall ever using in the last decade with this email) and a linux forum.

I've just realized I've got to be like the most active off-topic user right now, 19 threads on the first page lol.
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Purple Token - Free online hi-score database
Legend of Zelda

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
Ranietz
AGK Gold Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2018 17:19
I had one breach on my 19 year old hotmail address, and that one was fixed years ago. No breaches on my other e-mails.
Not bad.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2018 07:22
My hotmail, which i made some time in the mid 90s, had 9 breaches. What's interesting to see is they're not necessarily from companies I've used. I'll sign up with one company, but they'll use a 3rd party to store credentials and that's what gets leaked.

Half of the leaks were from developer websites, that's sad. Daniweb, phpfreaks, codeguru, webdeveloper.
And some bigger names, myspace (no surprise really), Creative, and Adobe.

In Creative's case, the breach just happened last month on their vBulletin forum, which was out of date. Apparently, their response has been to just shut down the forum permanently. In Adobie's case, while the passwords were encrypted it contained (in plain text) password hints. Just one reason as to why I never answer truthfully to any sort of password hint questions. I've said for the past 10 years they're an increased security risk.
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Purple Token - Free online hi-score database
Legend of Zelda

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
Kevin Cross
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2018 11:01
I've had a number of notifications from that website over the past couple of years saying that my email address and other details was breached from site A and site B and found in public released data. You kind of get used to it after a while.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 13:37:42
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 13:37:42