Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Exporting AGK games to RetroArch (Raspberry Pi / SNES Mini)?

Author
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2018 11:21
Hello AppGameKit fans,

So there is AppGameKit for Raspberry Pi. And it is possible with AppGameKit to create somehow games for Linux.
So my question is, would it be possible, to create a game for the NES Mini / SNES Mini?

System-on-chip used Allwinner R16
CPU 4 × ARM Cortex-A7
Memory 256 MB DDR3 SDRAM
Storage 512 MB NAND flash memory
Graphics Mali-400 MP2

~ 8 gflops (5..10, may vary)

The OUYA has about 12 gflops. But 1 GB RAM and Android 4.1

So it is a little bit easier to create a game for the OUYA. But with AppGameKit for Raspberry Pi, maybe it could be possible, to create some little games also for the NES Mini and SNES mini.

What do you think? And how would you put it on the system? I saw, that RetroArch can run on the Nintendo Minis.

And for putting games on it, this software was talked about.
https://github.com/ClusterM/hakchi2/releases

But I am not talking about creating a NES / SNES game, create a ROM out of it and emulate the thing on the NES Mini / SNES Mini. I am talking about using the whole potential.

Maybe AppGameKit executables could run everywhere, where Retroarch also runs.
https://www.retroarch.com/?page=platforms

Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2018 11:33 Edited at: 9th Jul 2018 11:43
Quote: " NES Mini / SNES Mini"

i guess it have a special os architecture and its better to use Nintendo's sdk.
and then u can use this rom at emulator.
https://developer.nintendo.com/

creating a binary nes rom from within agk ide seems unrealistic.
AGK (Steam) V2017.12.12 : Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit : NVIDIA (390.65) GeForce GTX 1050 Ti : Mac mini OS High Sierra (10.13)
Xaby
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2018 11:50
@Markus,

NES Mini / SNES Mini have some Linux on it. So with AppGameKit it is possible, to create a native game, I guess.
I am NOT talking about creating a homebrew ROM in some kind and loading that into the emulator.
Also being a developer only provides WiiU and 3DS SDKs in the first place. And later maybe for the Nintendo Switch.
But you would also need special hardware. I am talking about a Linux-Game created with AppGameKit running on an Allwinner R16 SoC (NES mini / SNES mini)

So it would be more like the posibilities on the Raspberry Pi, I guess. It also has some kind of Linux on it and AppGameKit games could run on it.
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2018 12:19
i think you speak about this, it have linux os but emulators to run games with similar hardware chips.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_NES_Classic_Edition
AGK (Steam) V2017.12.12 : Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit : NVIDIA (390.65) GeForce GTX 1050 Ti : Mac mini OS High Sierra (10.13)
Richard_6
Years of Service
User Offline
This seems interesting and might represent a relevant market. There is also the new Atari VCS which is Linux based. Here's what they mention in their website:

Quote: "as long as the games are compatible with Linux, developers can use whatever engine they would like."

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/atari-vcs-game-stream-connect-like-never-before-family-computers#/

Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2018 12:12 Edited at: 10th Jul 2018 12:13
Quote: " the new Atari VCS which is Linux based."

Quote: ""as long as the games are compatible with Linux, developers can use whatever engine they would like.""

sounds like a mini pc in retro look
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2018 13:53
There's also a new Intellivision coming out supposedly. Don't know if they've started development yet or not.
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Purple Token - Free online hi-score database
Legend of Zelda

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
Xaby
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2018 20:05
@Markus, yes, I am talking about the NES mini and the SNES mini. The ARM based consoles from Nintendo.

I mean, there is Steam with PCs, okay, but there are also a lot of games, "indies", shovelware and not talking about asset-flips and so on.

So AppGameKit has a tiny footprint and does not require highend PCs to run, and also the games created with AppGameKit don't need highend PCs. That is a great benefit compared to Unreal Engine or Unity. Also the file size could be very small, because of the assets in the other engines often very fast very big.

There are more than 12 Mio. Raspberry Pis out there, okay, a lot are used not for gaming, but for some other work.
And there are now a lot of Nintendo NES minis and SNES minis out, more than 5 mio. and counting.

The next thing is, we could put our games in a cardridge like thing with a Raspberry Pi Zero as cheap as 5,- bugs + memory card for about 2,- or so. So a complete computer, running an AppGameKit game for ~ 10,- bugs (cables, power, gamepads and so on not included)
We could do also a community thing with these games and have an AppGameKit bundle ...

So with so much low-power linux hardware out there, it could be a thing, to create games for that. And with OpenGL ES 2.0 there is potential.

Xaby
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2018 00:13 Edited at: 9th Aug 2018 00:17
Quake is running on a SNES Classic mini throu RetroArch

https://youtu.be/LanQidasXl4?t=259

So since it's nearly a Raspberry Pi like single board computer, we could get somehow our own games to work on the SNES / NES Classic mini.
I bought one, I hope, I understand, how the RetroArch / Linux thingly works.

But I don't know, how to compile from maybe a Raspberry Pi Linux with AppGameKit a linux game, to copy it to the SNES / NES Classic mini. So maybe someone could help me. Don't know, how to get a AppGameKit game running on the Raspberry Pi itself. Compiling YES, but not running So maybe this idea with SNES / NES Classic mini is two steps ahead for my skills

Another tutorial for getting RetroArch on the SNES / NES classic mini, in German.

Open Lara (Tomb Raider) runs also on the SNES / NES Classic mini

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 21:03:23
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 21:03:23