Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Community Environment Snippes (like water, gras, mountains, trees, clouds ...)

Author
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2018 17:23
Hello App Game Kit fans,

I saw this video

And was wondereing, if we have already a bunch of great water functions or water implementations.

I saw this thread, but it's two years old and maybe some technique evolved and also some effects are only using shaders, but for performance it could be interesting, to have also some, which are not rely them.
https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/216713

But using "CreateObjectFromHeightMap" over and over again would be also very slow, I guess. So maybe vertex manipulation would be needed.
Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2018 19:22
You'll still hit a bottle neck in agk. You can manipulate vertices using a memblock, but then you have to set the mesh back. You could quite easily do it on a fast machine with a simple mesh, but it would be far quicker to do the manipulation in a shader. This comes with its own issues though.....the shader only alters the display, not the mesh. So one thing I know doesn't get affected by this is the shadow shader, but there's probably other collision issues too as agk doesn't know what the shader has done to the mesh.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2018 16:04
If you're just going for looks, a shader is definitely the way to go. Only reason I'd see a need to manipulate vertices is if the game takes place on the water itself and is a part of the interactive game landscape.
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Purple Token - Free online hi-score database
Legend of Zelda

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
janbo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2018 17:51 Edited at: 25th Jul 2018 17:56
As Phaelax says... but if you don't need the whole mesh you could still calculate the intersection points of the water yourself, like I try with my Ocean shader
A mesh collision is also just a tricky intersection calculation.
And with intersecion calculation, I actually mean the wave curve formular.
Xaby
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2018 16:45
DF Digital Foundry / DF Retro

shows some impressiv water effects from 2001+ game cube, xbox classic and so on and more important also talk about how this was achieved.
So maybe we could let us inspire by old games effects.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 14:38:00
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 14:38:00