Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Random caves through cellular automata

Author
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2018 21:35
I been on a random creation kind of kick lately. I read about making caves using a technique similar to the premise of conway's game of life. There's still room for improvements. One idea I had was to use a flood fill to find small isolated pockets and delete them for a smoother more user-friendly map. After reading a few differences sources, I found some folks actually use that exact technique already.

Press spacebar to step the algorithm.
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Purple Token - Free online hi-score database
Legend of Zelda

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds

Attachments

Login to view attachments
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2018 22:01
Awesome Phaelax! Seeing those makes me want to use it to create a top down sort of roguelike hack n slash adventure game. Reminds me of some C64 games from long ago.

Just need to scan through it and identify each separate area (fully enclosed) and add the boundaries to a list. Then add a portal / hole in ground linking one to another. Maybe build a list of spawn locations as well and... already have a current game project so will stop.

Nice work!

PSY
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2018 17:45
Nice one.
I like procedural generation. Did a Worms-like landscape one some time ago with B3D

PSY LABS Games
Coders don't die, they just gosub without return

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 19:16:01
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 19:16:01