Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / How often do you guys use a modeling app to build a 3D scene?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2018 00:20
So you build a 3D scene and then export all the bits and pieces and then re-assemble them in your game.
Is that the kind of pipeline you use for setting up your 3D scene?
Jack
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2018 04:44 Edited at: 24th Oct 2018 04:47
I use 3d Software like Blender or 3dsMax all the time for asset creation. Some scenes are easier described in 3d Software than in AGK.
I have written a 3dsMax script that exports the whole scene to AppGameKit, as single objects including a list with their position and rotation lightmaps, texture names, shaders and so on.

but the regular workflow should be:
1. Create models / Export to engine format (fbx for example)
2. Load models in level editor (or some placement function in the engine itself)
3. Create levels with the level editor
4. Load created levels in your engine

[/url]
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2018 05:12
That makes sense. I am in the process of doing a similar thing to your 3dsMax script for my App.
I really don't like to jump from App to App so i'm trying to make as much as possible (read all) in my 3D App
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AGK is my friend
Posted: 25th Oct 2018 16:22
Scene building is hard in AppGameKit allot of trial and error
So any scene placement in 3D modelling software is a great idea especially when that allows you to see x,y,z cords if you need
cords for y to be the same for example. So your placement idea is really a great idea.
fubar
PHeMoX
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Scene building is hard in AppGameKit allot of trial and error"

Yeah, it basically requires you to write a level editor first and then go from there to be honest. I'm actually somewhat surprised there is no 3D world editor / level editor included with AGK2. I mean I truly like AGK2 and will continue using it, but it would have been in a different league if it had some kind of world editor.
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2018 21:08
There are a few 3D world editors. The one that comes to mind is AGE3D. It is open source.
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2018 15:56
Do you use AGE3D for your scenes?

I was thinking of loading the duckshoot scene and changing the textures and removing unneccesary models
and using it as a template for hooptoss and toilet toss
fubar
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2018 20:07
No. I am thinking of having a look at it though. Seeing as it's open source now. I'll send you a template
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2018 05:50
Thanks the template helped, I tried age3D but found that was taking allot longer than expected
to learn and get the pieces where i wanted so i copy and pasted the objects to be loaded and images
in both hooptoss and toilet toss and applied the positions you had in the map file. I also added point
lights to bowling, hooptoss and toilettoss with the point light settings there aswell

It looks much better now
fubar

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 11:47:36
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 11:47:36