Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / sharing with you something incredible.

Author
User Banned
Posted: 1st Feb 2019 05:14
So.. it says 5 years of service here in AGK
but
actually, I had another account named haliop and I'm guessing it gives me a bit more years on AppGameKit and a bit more on DarkGDK (C++ old SDK which made it incredibly easy to move on to AGK)

I HAVE STARTED TEACHING KIDS IN PRIVATE TUTORING about game development
and well yeah.. obviously I'm using AppGameKit TIER 1 since it is super simple to understand.

currently, I have only one student, 10 years old.
I live in Israel and he just started learning English so it takes some time just to get the hang of it.
He totally surprised me at the first lesson when we started discussing Random with Min and Max values, like how.. could 10 years old grasp the concept? the first lesson was amazing.

and this is what I wanted to share with you:

if you have enough experience, TEACH TEACH TEACH!!! and yeah TEACH kids, why?
because as we grow up we become very critic about anything, but when you are a kid and you are eager to learn, you automatically ask the right questions as there are no Wrong answers while learning.
obviously, I don't offer a job like some schools do as these are kids ranged from 8 to 15/16 maybe 17/18 (they can learn for themselves they don't really need me if they understand the power of Youtube/ Stackoverflow/ Google etc..

and it is good money.
for 1.5 hours of lesson, I charge about 30 $, I don't know about your country minimum salary but here in Israel its about 8 $ per hour, that is a huge difference.
not even mentioning the huge smile on the kids face once the lesson is over since we just built a small game by his or her demands.
the first lesson grew up to be 2.5 hours which summed up at 45$.
When I left the room, his father asked me how much time did you teach him today? i answered 2.5 hours and he was amazed you could have seen it on his face. he said, " once this kid gets home from school he does not sit for more than 10 minutes to study."

if I look backward and for the future, I think that AppGameKit just found my work for life.
there are no words that can stimulate what I'm feeling right now.
so I'm guessing, a sincere thank you for all the hard work that TGC TEAM MEMBERS are doing.

THANK YOU.

p.s
if everything goes well, I will open a school.
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 1st Feb 2019 18:00
Yes, teaching people who are willing to learn is extremely rewarding - and one to one tutoring gives you a chance to “tune in” to their particular interests.

Good luck with your plans .
Green Gandalf of the TGC forums aka Scorpius of the Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox forums.
Shader developer for Evochron Legacy produced by StarWraith 3D Games.
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 1st Feb 2019 18:52
great story, haliop. i am happy for you and your students
Rick Nasher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2019 12:45
Cool!
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2019 16:14
Quote: "when we started discussing Random with Min and Max values, like how.. could 10 years old grasp the concept? "

Pretty simple I'd imagine. I wasn't much older when I got into QBasic but had to teach myself. So I can totally see how a 10yr old with actual mentored guidance could easily understand it.

Hardest thing for me to ever grasp was objects, I just simply couldn't wrap my head around non-procedural programming. Not until I had an actual class with a teacher. So the benefit you can provide to that kid could be immense.

What I think you should do is keep a journal of your teachings, it may help others in the future in creating their own lesson plans who choose to take this path.
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Purple Token - Free online hi-score database
Legend of Zelda

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
haliop_New
User Banned
Posted: 6th Feb 2019 17:35
that is an awesome idea.

actually yesterday I taught him about Objects in general like how everything is actually an object of some kind in a game or in an application.
Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2019 09:40
This is an interesting story, and I don't wish you Ill will.......but I have my reservations here. Can I ask why you feel you are well placed to teach children? Do you have extensive knowledge outside of agk (bearing in mind it's a basic language that does so much of the work for us)? Are there no laws or regulations in isreal governing teaching and schools, and if so how does that sit with you teaching?
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2019 20:41
Quote: "Are there no laws or regulations in isreal governing teaching and schools,"

Is there anywhere? In the US, anyone can take on students and teach them whatever. If he was teaching in a school I might see some regulation but not private lessons.
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Purple Token - Free online hi-score database
Legend of Zelda

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 12th Feb 2019 20:47 Edited at: 12th Feb 2019 20:50
Agreed - either its your way or no way.

It needs to be governed by a national curriculum guidelines or every country as such to follow rules and practices.

Teach your own children by all means but look into this for others

Something incredible might not be just that after reading our notes.

Thank for sharing your story though
Tier 1 Developer
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 15th Feb 2019 23:06 Edited at: 15th Feb 2019 23:06
Im beginning to think - if done right - this is a very rewarding challenge. difficult to explain, but well done. be cool yeah!!!
Tier 1 Developer
haliop_New
User Banned
Posted: 16th Feb 2019 06:22 Edited at: 16th Feb 2019 06:25
I do private tutoring.
I can actually build any game I want...
already built FPS, 3rdPerson, TowerDefence, Adventure, 2d Platformer etc... puzzle games and such
and I'm working in a game company

there are no regulations for private tutoring... as far as I know...

btw the course I'm doing is not only about gaming development since these are kids from the age 10 - 15
I teach also computer image manipulation using the program Gimp and 3d modeling with Blender all open source where you can build scripts for.
at the end of the course, I'm teaching web development so my students will be able to create a portfolio website with HTML5 exports and uploading APKS to Google Play.
its a complete course about how to create something with your imagination and yeah AppGameKit and basic are the best for it since the learning curve is super easy.
I have already got some people in the industry to know AppGameKit as no one in Israel knows about it.... the future seems bright.

the first lesson takes about 3 hours.
in this lesson, we talk about computer gaming in general and I teach my students to break down any game they like, what is an Object and a bit of Math
then in the other half of the first lesson I build a small game by their demand export it to APK and give them the apk so they could showtheir friends where this is yeah a publicity stunt as I do need more students but not only...
cause the student not only showing the new game to his or her friends but also telling them "look, my teacher, built this small game within 1.5 hours" so its also a proof of concept that with the right tools you can see the results immediately and with the broadcast ability AppGameKit posses this is the right tool.
haliop_New
User Banned
Posted: 16th Feb 2019 06:27
and I'm great with kids... so...
it's just a good way to make some money and move my knowledge forward.
Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2019 14:20
Well I wish you luck......but I can't help have reservations.
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AGK is my friend
Posted: 16th Feb 2019 18:08 Edited at: 16th Feb 2019 18:09
"Teaching can be quite rewarding"
I remember teaching an 80 year old ex accountant how to do his accounts with a spreadsheet
he caught on quite quick and loved the spreadsheet work but the biggest hurdle was overcoming
his techno fear. Mind you he had never used a computer

As to the laws governing children I don't really know or understand, but if you have the parents
full consent I don't see a problem with it.

Many university lecturers nowadays have a degree in teaching and minimal knowledge in the
subject they are teaching, the fact you are so knowledgeable with programming is a plus.
fubar

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 06:10:21
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 06:10:21