Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2019 20:42
BRIGHT LIGHT! BRIGHT LIGHT!

puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 15th Feb 2019 21:06 Edited at: 15th Feb 2019 21:06
Warning: Epilepsy folks dont watch - not good for your health LOL
Tier 1 Developer
Humildadever
Years of Service
User Offline
The AppGameKit Studio is a very good news!

I think is important listening all the people! Is important brainstorming of ideas!

My principale base of programming game in 1998 is DIV2 and this studio with language programming like pascal have tools like painting pixel program, sprite creator, explosion creator, fonts editor, 3d maps creator, calculator, is like we had a operative system for programming!

- i thinks is important the unifications of many tools in this agk studio
- important still work with linux
-important the courses full about this language
Jerry McGuire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2019 20:09 Edited at: 19th Feb 2019 16:26
VULKAN, METAL, UNREAL, UNITY
Hi all. Just a few words on these four key terms.
VULKAN is a completely new open standard for graphics, brought by the same group in charge of the OpenGL standard. They had to do a new standard that wasn’t backwards compatible with OpenGL in order to achieve substantial performance gains. The PC game industry is slowly switching to this new standard, and the performance improvements are out of the question.

As most of us iOS developers know, Apple will not support OpenGL from iOS 13 onwards. As others have said, they want everybody to use their Metal API (which is their “equivalent” of the open VULKAN standard). WE iOS DEVELOPERS WERE/ARE PRETTY NERVOUS AB0UT THIS, and brought this up in the forum a few times before. I really hope that AppGameKit S will address this concern. In their letter, I see that TGC will by using a “wrapper” that will effectively allow the use of VULKAN as if it were Apple’s METAL API. I have said this before and will say it again: I would be more than happy to pay for an upgrade that ensures my existing code will keep working with the new iOS requierements. That is, I will be more than happy to pay to have compatibility with Apple’s METAL standard. In this sense, the METAL ‘upgrade’ is more urgent than the VULKAN one, because it will leave iOS OpenGL developers out. I urge TGC to make sure that we will be taken care of. I’ll happily buy the Studio upgrade. And I really hope it solves this issue.

Now a few words on Unreal, Unity, C++, Tier 2, etc.
First of all, Unreal has become the de-facto leader on 3D game development (yes they are the makers of Fortnite) and THEY USE C++. I emphasize this, for all of those 3D developers out there. C++ IS the standard for 3D, and other top engines require C++ as well. The story is very different for us 2D developers, Unreal sucks for 2D, and Unity seems to keep the crown in this niche (some of the most successful 2D titles for mobile have been written with Unity, for example “Where is my water?”). UNITY USES C#. I’ve tried Unity before, and it sucks. Sure, the C#/script approach seems/is more friendly/faster to implement, but it is very constraining. A close contender of Unity is Cocos (Angry birds was written in Cocos). But Cocos is an open standard that is all over the place. If you think AppGameKit TIER 2 is unfriendly, forget about Cocos.

In my opinion, AGK’ Tier 2 is a far superior 2D mobile engine. It gives you far more freedom than any other 2D mobile engine. Is it more work to program in C++? If you are starting out, for sure. But if you program in C++ you will find that as soon as your main classes are written, you will be able to use them again and again and again in your next games/game levels, saving you an enormous amount of time. Not only that, you will be able to use them in completely different settings. Plus, the performance is, in my experience, far better. It is only then that you will realize the power of Tier 2. If you like programming 2D mobile games in C#, than you should look into Unity. But for all of us that have invested a lot of time with the existing C++ framework, we love AppGameKit and hope to be taken care of.

Keep it up TGC! And congrats for your Apple award!!!
AppGameKit 2018.10.10

iMac Book Pro, MacOS 10.14, Xcode 9.4.1;
iPhone 6, iOS 12; iPad (3rd gen), iOS 9.35; iPad Pro 12'9 (2nd gen), iOS 12.

Dell Precision T7400, Windows 7 Professional 64bit, Visual Studio Community 2017;
MadBit
VIP Member
Gold Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2019 10:06
I don't know how TGC plans to support MacOS. But I think the easiest way would be to use MoltenGL / MoltenVk. So there is hope and a solution!
Share your knowledge. It\'s a way to achieve immortality. (Tenzin Gyatso)
Sh4d0xx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2019 14:43
AppGameKit Studio is looking good, and although I've only just found out about it a few days ago, I will more than likely support it.

However:

1) What happens with the Visual Editor ? It's painfully obvious it has been abandoned. Do Visual Editor users get more discounts on the AGKS ? There must be a way to cater to people that purchased the VE knowing it has far too many bugs to be considered functionally useful.

2) Will AGKS bring about easy implementation of UI components like scrollable lists, radio buttons, check boxes, multi line text labels e.t.c. ?

3) In-Game analytics support: What's going on in this department ?

Considering the AGKS is news to me, I've had to re-adjust my budget to accommodate the pre-order (which is the plan).

But after what's happened with the visual editor, I'm a bit skeptical about AGKS which is a shame seeing as I'd love to confidently support TGC products, and I've matured with AppGameKit 2 and really like it.

Thanks
Sh4xx
Kevin Cross
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2019 15:52
Quote: "2) Will AGKS bring about easy implementation of UI components like scrollable lists, radio buttons, check boxes, multi line text labels e.t.c. ?"

I'd much rather prefer to see prebuilt gestures included in AGKS. Pinch to zoom, and flick to scroll etc. There's been several attempts (including my own) at each but none of them are as good as native gestures. A realistic flick to scroll would be amazing, even in a game, especially one where you need to pan around a large map for example.
OryUI - A WIP AGK2 UI Framework
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2019 16:06 Edited at: 19th Feb 2019 16:11
I did a really good (I think) pinch zoom that I felt worked really well. Scrolling is pretty easy to get right just by using a velocity, set by how fast you move your finger/s, which slows down using any interpolation method you like. It could be added to this easily. This just takes the input and affects the view offset and zoom based on input.
https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/194613

EDIT: Here's a quickly updated version of the code needed
Using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
Kevin Cross
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2019 16:16 Edited at: 19th Feb 2019 16:21
I do have a method that slows down with interpolation but it doesn't feel 100% right. It's close but not close enough to use. I've looked at several examples provided here on the forums, and googled it a lot to find functions from other languages to try and reproduce it. I've shared an old version of mine here and have since improved it but I'm still not happy with it. I'll dig it out as I worked on it again recently.

EDIT: Thanks for sharing your code baxslash. I have to admit I've not used the RawTouch functions before, was recently shown them in another post. They might improve my version as I can see you can access the start and end of the touch and time. I do this with GetPointerPressed and GetPointerReleased to work out distance and the time between each etc.

I'm not actually after pinch to zoom but others would so thought I'd mention it as all gestures. Flick to scroll is the main one I want to get right.
Sh4d0xx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2019 18:06
Quote: "I'd much rather prefer to see prebuilt gestures included in AGKS. Pinch to zoom, and flick to scroll etc. There's been several attempts (including my own) at each but none of them are as good as native gestures. A realistic flick to scroll would be amazing, even in a game, especially one where you need to pan around a large map for example."

This is true. I forgot about this, but it's definitely something that can be useful.
Sh4xx
Josk
Years of Service
User Offline
This looks interesting, so if I have read right this will include a new version of Visual Editor in it?

Dybing
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2019 20:46 Edited at: 19th Feb 2019 20:51
Will need Linux support.

Edit: Ah, good news. From the Sneak Peek - a Linux version will be rolled out after the Windows and Mac version is released. Excellent
Kevin Cross
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2019 00:29
@baxslash here was my flick to scroll code.

It's ok with fast flicks but slow ones are a bit juddery and it's juddery at the top. This version doesn't use raw touch as it was created before seeing those functions. I haven't looked into those ones properly yet.

tsaulic
Years of Service
User Offline
Will the studio support Tier 2?
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2019 19:10
Quote: "Will the studio support Tier 2?"

I would say no. I think Visual studio and Android studio are the options for Tier 2
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2019 19:22
I suppose it depends on if the editor components are focused around generating code or around generating data. My opinion, they should be producing data which is largely language and platform agnostic. Data can be consumed by any variant of the language and on any platform.
http://games.joshkirklin.com/sulium

A single player RPG featuring a branching, player driven storyline of meaningful choices and multiple endings alongside challenging active combat and intelligent AI.
Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2019 00:31
Jerry McGuire.....

I couldn't disagree more about your 3d comments. AppGameKit is capable for 3d (I read Vulkin will give performance increases of about 20%, if your lucky) and I think TGC pitched it right. A top 3d game costs HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS, for the assets alone.....which your unlikely to see here. Actually, how many commercially successful 2d games have been released with AppGameKit, let alone 3d ones? They could plow thousands into Mali g a more capable 3d engine, but it wouldn't be exploited.....remember unreal engine was built.....for unreal. They adapted the game engine and turned it into something.

So for 3d, at the level users of AppGameKit will use it, AppGameKit is more than capable, but importantly.....it's much, much quicker and easier to do anything with it. And for expert users like Preben and Janbo, they can make it do all kinds of fancy 3D....yet still no commercial products are released. Why? Cost of graphics, sound, acting, animation, advertising, distribution.

So pretty much think they have 3d pitched at the right level, and I'd argue that for most devs here, Unreal is too complex and unwieldy for what we'd ever need to use it for.
MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
First impressions. Its a new editor. Point. Looks like it was coded with a custom made gui.
On my rig, sporting a geforce 1050ti with a ryzen 5 2400g there are no frame rate improvements at all.
I guess someone needs better hardware so the vulkan render part kicks in.
At least it didnt got any worse.
MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
First impressions. Its a new editor. Point. Looks like it was coded with a custom made gui.
On my rig, sporting a geforce 1050ti with a ryzen 5 2400g there are no frame rate improvements at all.
I guess someone needs better hardware so the vulkan render part kicks in.
At least it didnt got any worse.
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AGK is my friend
Posted: 26th Feb 2019 07:09
@MikeHart the reason there is no frame rate changes is because vulkan hasn't been implemented yet as its still under construction
fubar
sledgeman
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello.

I am new, to AppGameKit & I purchased AGK-S, because it looks really interesting and promising. And i also like to support small dev-teams, with great ideas !

I knowing some other Engines. Few times i was looking at AppGameKit videos / infos. But i didn´t get interested into it, because i did´t saw any Scene-Editor and other stuff, which i know from other Engines.
It was clear, this isn´t something for me, because it would take much longer to finish stuff, in comparison to these other engines. But, few days ago , something changed. I saw a new Video & infos about
AGK-S and it looked really great. Something that appeal to me. And i am really curious how the final version will look like and which tools will be on board !

I think for many people out there (mostly non-coders or weekendCoder), when they work on their game-projects, they want to have the right tools, to reach their goals in terms of visual fidelity. I think the
reason for the success of Unity f.e. is the all-in-one editor. And of course their Asset-market-place. This means, non-coders are satisfied and coders are "mostly" satisfied, because both groups get the right
tools. Same thing with Unreal. Only that Unreal has more build-in plugins. In Unity you need to buy your desired plugins, to get the most out of it (if you are not a pro coder). There are some other points, but
i would say, these are with the biggest impact. So for the future of AGK-S, to get more people on board, it would be important to:

- target two groups (coders & designers)
- Scene Editor (2d / 3d)
- shader editor
- Asset Market place
- easy export to different device targets

From my point of view, AGK-S starts with a solid base. And it can grow bigger, the more people contributing to the Engine by adding tools / content to the asset market place.

Pfaber1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2019 09:38
Hello. I've been using AppGameKit classic for a little over a year purchased Jan 2018 and have made a few games with it . I think it's great for small developers like myself and as far as it goes pretty easy to learn .
Been reading all I can about AppGameKit studio and think it will be great . I will be upgrading when the dust has settled and the reports are in and all the bugs are ironed out . Will probably wait for the first time it
goes on sale . Hopefully September October time . I paid 25 quid for my AppGameKit classic and consider it a bargain. I guess I was a late adopter. I've struggled over the years trying to find a commercially viable language based on basic but I think this is it . Tried learning C++ and Java without much success just not my bag. Also tried using visual basic which was also horrible. Anyhow looking forward to getting my mitts on AppGameKit studio
in the next few months or so a 20% increase in speed will be good with the new Vulken engine . I'm using a really cheap laptop to develop my games but I believe it will support vulken as although it is cheap it is relatively new . Bought it new a year ago . My way of looking at it is if it runs on this it'll run on anything , more or less. Have a nice day.
Xaby
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2019 12:11
It is a better editor than AGK2, the language is the same. You can use the editor and use the code later in the older AGK2 compiler. The scene builder is integrated, a media-preview, and some other need things.

I bought it in march, and I think, this year you wouldn't get it cheaper than that. I mean, let's say they release in June for about $99,- and in October or so have 20% off, you would save now in April 40%. And you can benefit half a year before you buy it.

If there are any "bugs", they are more in AppGameKit Tier 1 Basic itself. And these are also in AGK2 right now, I guess. And the editor only get's better and better, when users tell, what's missing or could be improved.

For Raspberry Pi Export or for older Android Devices you still could use the AGK2 exporter, if this is the only way we will have for the renderer instead of Vulkan in the newer AppGameKit Studio. But maybe we will get the exporter Option also with an OpenGL ES 2.0 renderer or so.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 11:36:34
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 11:36:34