Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Chat / AGK Studio

Author
AGK Developer
Gold Codemaster
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 14th Feb 2019 00:35
Really just meant plugins for the IDE but it does open a world of opportunities and customizations
that could be added to the IDE but preben probably has his hands full atm

fubar
mash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2019 22:10 Edited at: 14th Feb 2019 22:13
I do really hope for the DEVs, that Linux will be still supported in AppGameKit Studio - both IDE and export wise.

It would not sound like a good planning to me, if you're going to support Vulkan but leave out the platform (= Linux) where Vulkan is currently exploding.
Rick Nasher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2019 19:38
Just seen the first youtube video: looking really good.

puzzler2018
Years of Service
User Offline
Look awesome,

But dont think it will be better than my version LOL

Tier 1 Developer

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Rick Nasher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2019 20:42
BRIGHT LIGHT! BRIGHT LIGHT!

puzzler2018
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2019 21:06 Edited at: 15th Feb 2019 21:06
Warning: Epilepsy folks dont watch - not good for your health LOL
Tier 1 Developer
Humildadever
Years of Service
User Offline
The AppGameKit Studio is a very good news!

I think is important listening all the people! Is important brainstorming of ideas!

My principale base of programming game in 1998 is DIV2 and this studio with language programming like pascal have tools like painting pixel program, sprite creator, explosion creator, fonts editor, 3d maps creator, calculator, is like we had a operative system for programming!

- i thinks is important the unifications of many tools in this agk studio
- important still work with linux
-important the courses full about this language
Jerry McGuire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2019 20:09 Edited at: 19th Feb 2019 16:26
VULKAN, METAL, UNREAL, UNITY
Hi all. Just a few words on these four key terms.
VULKAN is a completely new open standard for graphics, brought by the same group in charge of the OpenGL standard. They had to do a new standard that wasn’t backwards compatible with OpenGL in order to achieve substantial performance gains. The PC game industry is slowly switching to this new standard, and the performance improvements are out of the question.

As most of us iOS developers know, Apple will not support OpenGL from iOS 13 onwards. As others have said, they want everybody to use their Metal API (which is their “equivalent” of the open VULKAN standard). WE iOS DEVELOPERS WERE/ARE PRETTY NERVOUS AB0UT THIS, and brought this up in the forum a few times before. I really hope that AppGameKit S will address this concern. In their letter, I see that TGC will by using a “wrapper” that will effectively allow the use of VULKAN as if it were Apple’s METAL API. I have said this before and will say it again: I would be more than happy to pay for an upgrade that ensures my existing code will keep working with the new iOS requierements. That is, I will be more than happy to pay to have compatibility with Apple’s METAL standard. In this sense, the METAL ‘upgrade’ is more urgent than the VULKAN one, because it will leave iOS OpenGL developers out. I urge TGC to make sure that we will be taken care of. I’ll happily buy the Studio upgrade. And I really hope it solves this issue.

Now a few words on Unreal, Unity, C++, Tier 2, etc.
First of all, Unreal has become the de-facto leader on 3D game development (yes they are the makers of Fortnite) and THEY USE C++. I emphasize this, for all of those 3D developers out there. C++ IS the standard for 3D, and other top engines require C++ as well. The story is very different for us 2D developers, Unreal sucks for 2D, and Unity seems to keep the crown in this niche (some of the most successful 2D titles for mobile have been written with Unity, for example “Where is my water?”). UNITY USES C#. I’ve tried Unity before, and it sucks. Sure, the C#/script approach seems/is more friendly/faster to implement, but it is very constraining. A close contender of Unity is Cocos (Angry birds was written in Cocos). But Cocos is an open standard that is all over the place. If you think AppGameKit TIER 2 is unfriendly, forget about Cocos.

In my opinion, AGK’ Tier 2 is a far superior 2D mobile engine. It gives you far more freedom than any other 2D mobile engine. Is it more work to program in C++? If you are starting out, for sure. But if you program in C++ you will find that as soon as your main classes are written, you will be able to use them again and again and again in your next games/game levels, saving you an enormous amount of time. Not only that, you will be able to use them in completely different settings. Plus, the performance is, in my experience, far better. It is only then that you will realize the power of Tier 2. If you like programming 2D mobile games in C#, than you should look into Unity. But for all of us that have invested a lot of time with the existing C++ framework, we love AppGameKit and hope to be taken care of.

Keep it up TGC! And congrats for your Apple award!!!
AppGameKit 2018.10.10

iMac Book Pro, MacOS 10.14, Xcode 9.4.1;
iPhone 6, iOS 12; iPad (3rd gen), iOS 9.35; iPad Pro 12'9 (2nd gen), iOS 12.

Dell Precision T7400, Windows 7 Professional 64bit, Visual Studio Community 2017;
MadBit
Valued Member
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 19th Feb 2019 10:06
I don't know how TGC plans to support MacOS. But I think the easiest way would be to use MoltenGL / MoltenVk. So there is hope and a solution!
Share your knowledge. It\'s a way to achieve immortality. (Tenzin Gyatso)
Sh4d0xx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2019 14:43
AppGameKit Studio is looking good, and although I've only just found out about it a few days ago, I will more than likely support it.

However:

1) What happens with the Visual Editor ? It's painfully obvious it has been abandoned. Do Visual Editor users get more discounts on the AGKS ? There must be a way to cater to people that purchased the VE knowing it has far too many bugs to be considered functionally useful.

2) Will AGKS bring about easy implementation of UI components like scrollable lists, radio buttons, check boxes, multi line text labels e.t.c. ?

3) In-Game analytics support: What's going on in this department ?

Considering the AGKS is news to me, I've had to re-adjust my budget to accommodate the pre-order (which is the plan).

But after what's happened with the visual editor, I'm a bit skeptical about AGKS which is a shame seeing as I'd love to confidently support TGC products, and I've matured with AppGameKit 2 and really like it.

Thanks
Sh4xx
Kevin Cross
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2019 15:52
Quote: "2) Will AGKS bring about easy implementation of UI components like scrollable lists, radio buttons, check boxes, multi line text labels e.t.c. ?"

I'd much rather prefer to see prebuilt gestures included in AGKS. Pinch to zoom, and flick to scroll etc. There's been several attempts (including my own) at each but none of them are as good as native gestures. A realistic flick to scroll would be amazing, even in a game, especially one where you need to pan around a large map for example.
OryUI - A WIP AGK2 UI Framework
baxslash
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 19th Feb 2019 16:06 Edited at: 19th Feb 2019 16:11
I did a really good (I think) pinch zoom that I felt worked really well. Scrolling is pretty easy to get right just by using a velocity, set by how fast you move your finger/s, which slows down using any interpolation method you like. It could be added to this easily. This just takes the input and affects the view offset and zoom based on input.
https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/194613

EDIT: Here's a quickly updated version of the code needed
Using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
Kevin Cross
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2019 16:16 Edited at: 19th Feb 2019 16:21
I do have a method that slows down with interpolation but it doesn't feel 100% right. It's close but not close enough to use. I've looked at several examples provided here on the forums, and googled it a lot to find functions from other languages to try and reproduce it. I've shared an old version of mine here and have since improved it but I'm still not happy with it. I'll dig it out as I worked on it again recently.

EDIT: Thanks for sharing your code baxslash. I have to admit I've not used the RawTouch functions before, was recently shown them in another post. They might improve my version as I can see you can access the start and end of the touch and time. I do this with GetPointerPressed and GetPointerReleased to work out distance and the time between each etc.

I'm not actually after pinch to zoom but others would so thought I'd mention it as all gestures. Flick to scroll is the main one I want to get right.
Sh4d0xx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2019 18:06
Quote: "I'd much rather prefer to see prebuilt gestures included in AGKS. Pinch to zoom, and flick to scroll etc. There's been several attempts (including my own) at each but none of them are as good as native gestures. A realistic flick to scroll would be amazing, even in a game, especially one where you need to pan around a large map for example."

This is true. I forgot about this, but it's definitely something that can be useful.
Sh4xx
Josk
Years of Service
User Offline
This looks interesting, so if I have read right this will include a new version of Visual Editor in it?

Dybing
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2019 20:46 Edited at: 19th Feb 2019 20:51
Will need Linux support.

Edit: Ah, good news. From the Sneak Peek - a Linux version will be rolled out after the Windows and Mac version is released. Excellent
Kevin Cross
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2019 00:29
@baxslash here was my flick to scroll code.

It's ok with fast flicks but slow ones are a bit juddery and it's juddery at the top. This version doesn't use raw touch as it was created before seeing those functions. I haven't looked into those ones properly yet.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2019-02-20 08:28:57
Your offset time is: 2019-02-20 08:28:57