Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / He stole my name!

Author
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2019 05:44
If anyone sees a fat guy on twitch, it is not me. While Phaelax has been my own unique name online for over 20 years with many things published under said name, some guy recently decided to steal my name a few months ago and brand on everything he can think of.
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Purple Token - Free online hi-score database
Legend of Zelda

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2019 10:14 Edited at: 1st May 2019 10:15
Huh, I had no idea banjo playing farmers streamed on twitch..

He must be doing something right, or throwing money at google, because if you search your name, he's the first to show up, followed by you in second. I wonder what the legality of this would be if he started to 'copyright claim' you for his name? You could easily prove you've had the name for decades, and I doubt he's paid for a TM.

I checked out his most recent stream...WOW he is boringgggg! He barley talks and there's zero commentary on what he's doing. Though honestly I find most game streamers boring, I'm just an old man who prefers playing games, rather than watching someone else play.

ps....you should recheck his latest vid Phalanx, around 0.30s mark.

In all seriousness, maybe you should rebrand yourself as The Original Phalanx, or The Real Phalanx, or Master Phalanx, Sir Phalanx....ect. I can change your forum name if you want.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2019 03:49
I don't get the excitement of Twitch. When I was a kid and games only had two controllers, it was boring being the one that just sat and watch. Now people pay to do it.
He's got a twitter page too, which I never use either but did make one a long time ago. Years back, the page was hacked because twitter sucks as security and people lost accounts left and right back then. I reported his account name requesting he change it, but I doubt that'll happen. Considering all his content is less than a year old, it's surprising how much of it comes up first in google.

Phalanx is actually what I intended to use as the name way back in the 90s, but misspelled it as phaelax and stuck with it. And the word phaelax exists nowhere except where I've used it, cause it's a made up word. So I do have a twitter, it's now Phaelax1 but I never use it. So I'm pretty sure he stole it after seeing it from me.
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Legend of Zelda

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2019 21:12
If you Google Seppuku and see a guy stabbing himself and getting decapitated, it's not me or somebody who stole my name. I just chose a gruesome name is all. I was an edgy teenager when I joined these forums.

Quote: "I don't get the excitement of Twitch. When I was a kid and games only had two controllers, it was boring being the one that just sat and watch. Now people pay to do it."

I'm the same with sport, I liked playing it at school and found it fun, but have never enjoyed watching it, I'm Moss and Roy in the IT Crowd when it comes to it, "you see that ludicrous display last night?".

Watching people play video games as a premise sounds dull, I think it you've got people who're making it funny, entertaining, cracking jokes, being stupid, goofing off and all that, then it can be entertaining. But of course, to each their own, I don't think I could watch somebody play Fortnite to show off their mad skills (aside from the fact i don't like Fortnite), but I could watch somebody be a terrible human being in Scribblenauts or something.
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2019 01:43
Maybe he is also just a random mispelling of phalanx?
http://games.joshkirklin.com/sulium

A single player RPG featuring a branching, player driven storyline of meaningful choices and multiple endings alongside challenging active combat and intelligent AI.
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2019 19:10
Or Felix, except they're just REALLY bad at spelling.
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2019 22:30 Edited at: 15th May 2019 22:30
Quote: " I reported his account name requesting he change it, but I doubt that'll happen."

On what basis though? Fairly sure you can't stop someone from using the same username on the internet as you
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2019 04:19
If it wasn't so unique and a web search brought more than just me, then perhaps I wouldn't care so much. But for the past 20 years, phaelax only ever referenced MY stuff. It's expected by this point. It's just what I'm used to, as even my real name is the only one in existence and nobody else has it.

It's my internet!
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Legend of Zelda

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2019 09:06
Github has a policy that lets you claim a used name if the account associated with it is "hogging" the name. I.e. if it has no useful repositories and activity is low. That's how I got "TheComet" on github.

From the sounds of it, though, this fat guy twitch streamer is active.
"Jeb Bush is a big fat mistake" -- Donald Trump
https://vt.tumblr.com/tumblr_o2rvwdLLSF1rmjly4.mp4

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 13:22:52
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 13:22:52