Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Full Screen Game Launcher with Settings Page

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 13th Jul 2019 05:04 Edited at: 13th Jul 2019 05:25
Oh no! Not another game launcher!

I started playing with this idea because of a recent post about an in-game options sub-menu. Of course we can only have settings for those things which FPSC allows us to change. Stuff like Anti-Aliasing, Particle Effects and Shadows probably isn't going to happen. So I wanted to create a launcher that allowed for adjusting those things which could be change, and looked like it was a part of the game.

The start screen plays a video (most any video type) and has 4 option buttons: play, settings, website and exit.

The play button seamlessly loads the FPSC Game Menu...

and the game loads normally. All the screens can match design and layout for that integrated look. These could use more flair but I just wanted to prove the concept.

The settings screen is complete and working with the exception of the graphics slider. I haven't worked out the exact settings yet and I may have to change or replace that, but the rest is complete and working. The key mapper was especially fun to do. ha!

I will continue to refine it because I'm retired and it keeps me busy. Right now it's all hard coded. I don't know that I'll create an editor or config type file to make it an end-user configurable app, but if there is anyone with a completed game that would like a customized version, we can talk about it.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
ScooT9
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Half-Life: WAR
Posted: 13th Jul 2019 09:04
This looks cool, can't wait for this to be fully finished!
hi, i'm a random guy who's making random games with random game engines for random reasons
and249
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2019 11:38
Would this one work with FPSC Classic? The one which is open sourced on GitHub?
s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
@xplosys :- Nice work on this talk about going back to full screen lol.

Vishnu had all this back in the day but had to be taken out due to it being a multi platform launcher/packer but its more a packer these days.

After a poll people back then didn't want full screen launchers but hey things change and it looks like this is what people want again.

As always it has a pro look to it and looks very nice.

Keep up the good work

best s4real
Amd fx4100,6gb ram,geforce 450
seppgirty
FPSC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2019 13:44
Looks great.
gamer, lover, filmmaker
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2019 14:17
ScooT9 and seppgirty,
Thanks.

and249,
Yes. This will work on any version from 1.0 to the final 1.2 with Black Ice Mod and any Windows from XP to 10.

s4real,
I also got some push back when I suggested full screen, but it's something I wanted to try myself. I never liked the "pieced together" look with other launchers that didn't match my game. One app to launch the game because we need this button or that, and another to allow changing some options, and finally the game, and all with a different look and feel. And since this is ONLY for FPSC, I can have it my way.

ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2019 22:39
Explosys Now your talking This is awesome.
Love the full screen look and feel.
My games never have bugs. They just develop random features..
Lots and lots of random features...
Location: You know that space between a dresser and the floor ? Yeah, that's where
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2019 03:45
Thanks ncmako. Now all I need is a decent game to wrap up in it.

The graphics quality slider now controls the texture division and I added a brightness slider that allows a -5 to +5 variation from the games default ambience.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Pvt.Dan
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow! That's super cool!
Medal of Honor
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2019 16:14
Thanks Pvt.Dan
Are you a career Pvt or will it be Cpl.Dan anytime soon? Eventually Lt.Dan?
Pvt.Dan
Years of Service
User Offline
Lol I don't know really
Medal of Honor
5wee†
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2019 01:14
wow! this looks incredible. I mean it usually, but for FPSC it's just ... wow.
I really hope you can complete it. This is a very cool thing and I definitely need it
good luck to you

I also have an interesting idea: the latest version of reshade has a lot of graphics settings. All settings are saving in one file.
can you link this file with your launcher? it would be very powerful
sorry, I'm using google translator
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2019 02:08 Edited at: 21st Jul 2019 00:15
Thanks 5wee†,
Quote: "I also have an interesting idea:"

Yes, that is interesting, and very doable. My experience with ReShade is not good, though. A normal game running at 60 FPS on my computer drops to 6 FPS when I turn on ReShade. If I saw a real difference in the graphics, I might try to work with it... but I don't.
I'd rather it wasn't integrated in BIM, but I have a way to remove it from the compiled game.
Pvt.Dan
Years of Service
User Offline
How is it going?
Medal of Honor
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2019 15:04
It's pretty much done and ready for a game. When I have a game ready I think I will add an about or credits page because, for me anyway, no game is ever done alone. It would be a place to credit people who contributed, like The Game Creators, Black Ice MOD, creators of music, content, etc, etc.
This will not be turned into an end user app. I'm not going to write an editor or config type file where someone can "plug in" their game. This was more a proof of concept, an attempt to integrate the launcher into the game and create a more typical and modern game experience.
That said, if anyone with a completed game is interested in something like this, we can talk about it.
and249
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2019 11:45
When are you gonna release it? Will it be available before Halloween? 'Cuz I have big plans for Halloween and would like to publish my game with ur launcher on too.

Best,
and249.
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2019 13:56 Edited at: 28th Jul 2019 14:00
and249,
At the moment I have no intention of "releasing" it. It is not an end user app; there is no way to customize it with your own content. To make this an end-user-application I would need to write an editor to allow you to add your own images, video, buttons, font, text, colors, options, etc, and drag them all around to a design you want. It would take waaaayyyy too long and be a lot more more work than I'm willing to do. However, if you have a finished game and you would like to have a customized, integrated launcher, let me know here or PM me.
5wee†
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2019 17:38
I think you don’t need to create an editor. it's a cool stuff, but if it will take a lot of time to do, then maybe it's not worth it?
it will be enough just to put images and audio in one folder, and users can simply change them on own. it'll be enough
KingMassen
Years of Service
User Offline
If you would make it configurable, then I suggest that you work on the key mapper ,in case the user wanted to add some controls that are not already there. This should depend on the "settings.ini" file. If he added a key in the setting.ini file (key12=X, key13=Y ... etc.), then it will appear in the launcher and he should be able to change the control label in front of it ,like "Quick use health pack" or "Open inventory". Unfortunately, there is no FPI command for retrieving values from setup.ini and storing it in variables ,so I assume this is impossible without patching. Black Ice Mod devs should add a new "readfromsetup= X Y" command in the next update ,the opposite of the already-existing "passtosetup= X Y" command. This is the only way that would work.
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2019 22:14 Edited at: 29th Jul 2019 22:17
@5wee†
Quote: "it will be enough just to put images and audio in one folder, and users can simply change them on own"

That has been done multiple times by myself and others. There are already config file launchers out there for free. They are only so configurable and everyone ends up with pretty much the same "launcher" style with a different background picture.
If you're interested in something like that, try Vishnu Studio or Chapter Launcher.

@KingMassen
Quote: "If you would make it configurable, then I suggest that you work on the key mapper ,in case the user wanted to add some controls that are not already there."

That's pretty much my point. A config file could never make it much more than what's already out there, and to write an editor would be too much work for a couple of people to use.
Quote: "Black Ice Mod devs should add a new "readfromsetup= X Y" command in the next update ,the opposite of the already-existing "passtosetup= X Y" command"

Good idea. Suggest that in the BIM thread if you haven't already.
5wee†
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2019 23:16
Quote: "try Vishnu Studio or Chapter Launcher"

yep, i've seen these launchers. the first cool but unfortunately not practical
last one, what is your, very nice. if you add a settings menu to them, it will be an apt hit ))
that's why i say the editor is not needed. but you know better
anyway, more power to your elbow! just worried that a lot of work can make you drop it (not sure if this expression is correct)
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2019 23:47
Quote: "just worried that a lot of work can make you drop it "

There is nothing to drop or stop working on. It was never more than a concept and I never really meant to turn it into an application. I just wanted to integrate it into my game so it doesn't look like a launcher.
I'm working on a spoof of the game "Blood" from 1997. I will use the concept and wrap it all up to see how it looks and works. After that I will consider what can be done about creating a version for developers.

Do you currently have a project that you need this for?
s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Looking at the source you can if you want add your own options menu in fpsc itself.

Almost everything is included as well to do this.

The reason I think nobody done this is because nobody knows how to set it up(or didn't know the option was there).

The launcher looking good xplosys and looking forward to your new game.

@5wee† :- Vishnu studio is designed more a packer these days and can be used with other launchers in no launcher mode.

It does have a launcher mode what do you think is missing to improve it for your needs.

You could go for Game Launcher Creator but it does have a price tag to this but its very good.

Best s4real

Amd fx4100,6gb ram,geforce 450
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2019 23:58
In response to recent inquiries and requests, I put together a simple but fairly configurable launch creator which will allow you to create your own launcher for games, apps, basically whatever can be launched.
Go here for info and download.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 19:20:10
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 19:20:10