Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Studio Chat / Can't Clone Animated Object

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2019 10:29
Hi, I'm trying to make a 3D game with AGK. I'm using the latest version 11.06.2019 but I can't get cloning working with animated objects.

LoadObjectWithChildren works when loading the object, but when cloning it, the clones are nowhere to be seen, they don't render.
The code works fine with LoadObject, so it's something to do with the LoadObjectWithChildren Command.
Cloning animated objects is vital for any engine for making a 3D game, so I hope someone can help me with this.

Thanks!
www.skywaygame.com
www.facebook.com/skywaythegame
CodeMonkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2019 11:04 Edited at: 19th Jul 2019 16:57
It seems that the CloneObject command only clones the base model without children. Is there any way to clone animated objects in AppGameKit?

EDIT I: I've tested the "Bone Animation" example project, which seems to work fine when cloning, so I'm assuming I'm doing something wrong in Blender in terms of either how the object is animated or how it's exported to .x format. If anyone has any knowledge of this it'd be much appreciated!

EDIT II: The issue turned out to be the export setting in Blender. After making sure to export bones/animations it seems to be working now.
www.skywaygame.com
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2019 23:09
Good find. I always have trouble exporting from Blender... It seems to take 5 or 6 attempts with various different settings every time I export a model! Haha.
CodeMonkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2019 18:07 Edited at: 26th Jul 2019 13:38
EDIT: FOR FUTURE REFERENCE EXPORT SETTINGS ARE IN THE FOLLOWING POST
www.skywaygame.com

Attachments

Login to view attachments
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AGK is my friend
Posted: 22nd Jul 2019 11:44
I noticed it isn't showing all of the settings
so below I paste the link to chafari's thread about .x export in blender
https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/223848
fubarpk
fubarpk on Itch...………...https://fubarpk.itch.io/
fubarpk on googleplay..https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=fubarpk
CodeMonkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2019 16:34
I only showed the necessary settings to change. Nice link though, that thread would've saved me a few hours if I'd seen it originally lol
www.skywaygame.com
Rick Nasher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2019 00:46 Edited at: 25th Jul 2019 00:47
I've tried above to export from fbx(binary) to X.
The fbx was a fully rigged and animated model, generated by Maximo and edited by Fuse, but Blender messed up the bones; arms were deformed, as were some other parts of the body.

Also no textures are exported using this workflow.
Therefor I tried to export to dae in order to get textures but those wouldn't match the model.

No clue what the correct workflow would be in order to make AppGameKit happy.
Scorpyo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2019 09:39
Just buy Ultimate Unwrap 3D Pro and use it as a file converter . It's only 59 $ - It's a bit cumbersome and you have to get used to it but it is very effective and time saving in the long run.
You just import your FBX Mixamo model , re-apply the textures ( UV settings are/should be already in place when you download from Mixamo , just use the materials tab to re-assign them ), and export to .x
You can even download single animations of the same FBX character from Mixamo , then when you load one of them in Ulimate Unwrap 3D you can add all the others by simply adding them to the animation menu - no object re-importing.
Then you can add, remove , sort each animation at will and create a single combo-multi animation FBX file to be exported to .x
Just make sure that the exported .x works with Studio because I use this method with DBP so far.
Here is a test model obtained by using Mixamo and UU3D-Pro.
Cheers

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Rick Nasher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2019 20:11
Many thanks Scorpyo, model's looking good.

I might just do this, but I really don't like being forced to follow a certain workflow due to an AppGameKit shortcoming.

TGC should tackle this once and for all as it is so crucial for any game developer and sucks having to rely on yet a third party before you can actually make use of the language itself as intended.

It should be fairly easy for them to build a decent 3d model loader and while at it, have the option to auto-load textures onto it.
If competing languages do this, then so should AppGameKit, otherwise, word of mouth advertising won't be saying it's flawless and that's *not* a good thing, will give up the wrong message and potentially push potential customers into the hands of other companies which bad for future continuity. It's just that simple.

CodeMonkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2019 13:41
Are you sure you have the materials and UV's set up in Blender properly before exporting, and you've checked the export materials option?
All works on this end when exporting animated objects with diffuse textures.

Send over the model and I'll see what results I get if you'd like.
www.skywaygame.com

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 06:46:31
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 06:46:31