Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers AppGameKit Corner / Where to store game scores on the web with low cost ?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2020 20:28
Good evening, sir,

I want to store my game scores on the web.
I think there are several choices.
The first one, i.e. pay a host site 20$ per month, develop a PHP page that stores the score in a SQL database. And another php page that displays the stored score in the database. It's a bit expensive, I think to develop a score for an amateur game without pretension.

However, I wonder if it would be possible to use free storage spaces like google drive. Maybe a Googlesheet document in read-only! I imagine this: call a web address that open a Google sheet form.
This form would be pre-filled with the score field, the player name field and the score date field and the apply button. I can use the OpenBrowser( url googlesheetform) appgamekit command to call the form.

This form takes care of filling the data into the GoogleSheet document that will finally be the database score.

Do you have other ideas to store the players' scores for free?

Sincerely

patmaba
fubarpk
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 21st Jan 2020 03:51
Here where I am most internet providers can provide you with a free webpage depending on the provider
they often can be used with php etc to write to a database. If that's not possible for you theres many free
ISPs available and some cheap ones like $20 a year or less that would be quite possible to use
MerryChristmas Everyone
fubarpk on Itch...………...https://fubarpk.itch.io/
fubarpk on googleplay..https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=fubarpk
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2020 11:24
You could try Phaelax's "Purple Token".
I haven't tried it myself so I can't provide any useful feedback but it sounds like it might do what you want.
Try dropping a PM to Phaelax to discuss it.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2020 02:19
The site is going through an overhaul, but the back-end should still work. If you have any problems registering let me know. Google likes to change recaptcha sometimes and it breaks things. My site is basically your first example, except I pay way more money to do it :p (i run several domains)

Essentially, you create an account, generate a unique token, then use that token with my REST API over an SSL (TLS?) connection. You might be able to do it unsecured, I can't remember if I blocked it or not.
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Purple Token - Free online hi-score database
Legend of Zelda

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
Impetus73
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2020 13:50
Maybe TGC could provide us with a server to put highscores on, and even have commands to upload/save the data to your own space on that server. Maybe an annual fee to have the space?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2020-02-29 07:11:49
Your offset time is: 2020-02-29 07:11:49