Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Studio Chat / [SOLVED] exe file not running outside AGK folder

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2020 21:40
I have run my program in AppGameKit studio ( and on Classic as well ) and thus created a .exe file to run anywhere else on a PC.

I can run this file OK only within the AppGameKit folder that it was created in but I can not run it outside this folder. I get the AppGameKit logo screen with UNCONNECTED at the bottom. This would suggest that my virus/firewall checker ( Norton ) is preventing it somehow. I have tried looking all over Norton and can't find anything. It even has the programme as allowed. I have also tried turning the virus checker and the firewall off but something is still blocking it.

I have tried running a very basic program as well and in various folders such as c:\temp etc. but I can not get this file to run.

My project is only going to be on PC so I do not need to get a connection to my mobile via Wi-Fi.

As my project is near completion and I would like to launch it in the next few weeks I would be most grateful if anyone can help.

Thanks,
David
Amazing creations start with a Fuzzy Vision
Dave - Creator, Developer and Visionary
Fuzzy Visions

The author of this post has marked a post as an answer.

Go to answer

Qugurun
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AppGameKit
Posted: 12th May 2020 21:53
there should be a media folder next to the exe file
Bengismo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2020 22:20 Edited at: 12th May 2020 22:22
As Qugurun states above.... You need the .exe file and the media folder that goes with it. The media folder contains a bytecode.byc file which contains your program.

Without the bytecode file, the exe file resorts to being the PC player/interpreter instead, which waits for a TCP connection to send it some bytecode via lan.

I do have a version of the PC exe file where you can encode the bytecode file inside it if wanted meaning the bytecode is added to the exe so it is more standalone. You dont really need that though just to get it working.
Creative Magic Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2020 22:33 Edited at: 12th May 2020 22:36
This post has been marked by the post author as the answer.
Thanks to Qugurun and Bengismo. I was just about to comment on here that it still didn't work until I copied over the bytecode file. For anyone else reading this, I will also add that you need to copy all your images and any files etc. in the media folder over as well for your program to completely work.

Oh, well that was around a day figuring it all out. I reframe from using the word wasted! It is not as if I had anywhere to go anyway at the present time!

I would have thought ( for security and copy protection of images ) that it would have been one whole exe file. Similar to the mobile apk file.

Thanks again to you two. You are stars. I can now go to sleep knowing I am back on track for my release date.
Amazing creations start with a Fuzzy Vision
Dave - Creator, Developer and Visionary
Fuzzy Visions

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 19:13:57
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 19:13:57